Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
That is horribly tone deaf. But I'd also still take the tacos and tequila if I'm being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My work created some new awards, named 2 after famous white dudes, and the third after a disgraced ceo.

They got skewered in the chat lmao.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

Yesterday HR announced they were going to recognize Hispanic Month for the first time by, and I poo poo you not, organizing a taco Tuesday and giving everyone a bottle of tequila

So it's not just our company that's just now recognizing Hispanic heritage month out of the blue after complete silence for decades on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

So it's not just our company that's just now recognizing Hispanic heritage month out of the blue after complete silence for decades on it.

I worked for Kroger years ago and when different heritage months rolled around they'd give out food items related to that ethnic group.

I remember the Hispanic heritage month bag I got was like all beans and salsa.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Not even like, good chilis and cocoa so you could make a mole?

Unforgivable.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress buying a house. I'm a gross single guy who will die alone so this carries weight. Thank you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You get a house for practically free in rural Japan. Move to the sticks and start your brewpub there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Not even like, good chilis and cocoa so you could make a mole?

Unforgivable.

Yeah, Kroger sucks rear end

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

Can't you get a house for free in rural Japan? Move to the sticks and start your brewpub there.

gently caress owning a car.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get a big motorbike and pretend you're an angry young man.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Get a big motorbike and pretend you're an angry young man.

I'm way too scared of motorcycles. My dad recently got hip replacement surgery for injuries he got in his 20's (or maybe earlier) on a motorcycle getting hit by a drunk trucker.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm way too scared of motorcycles. My dad recently got hip replacement surgery for injuries he got in his 20's (or maybe earlier) on a motorcycle getting hit by a drunk trucker.

Do 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run.

Warning: may cause hair loss.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run.

Warning: may cause hair loss.

Too late for that SUCKAH! But if I'm gonna go bald, better from the front than the back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tonsure is a very traditional look for brewers.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Tonsure is a very traditional look for brewers.

gently caress. You're right. Time to hang it up!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My boss thinks it’s a good use of his time to allow lonely men in their 80s to tell him their life story over the phone. We design and manufacture electric guitar pickups so lots of old men like to call and talk about dead guitar players and the price of gas or whatever crosses their mind. For hours. Why does he allow this? Better than running reports I guess?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta keep those repeat customers happy. They might buy another product before they die.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

This post is so sad and funny at the same time. Real tragicomedy.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
It

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I worked a restaurant that gave employees free fried chicken for black history month.

My black colleagues were reportedly not that offended, because hey, free chicken.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Forgot we had an all hand town hall call today. So far they've bitched they can't find good employees due to unemployment, went in depth about the status of every department except mine, and had a cute survey about whether people prefer waffles or pancakes. Chat is completely closed of course. Pretty sure my dept is gone in the near future.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

evilpicard posted:

I worked a restaurant that gave employees free fried chicken for black history month.

My black colleagues were reportedly not that offended, because hey, free chicken.

"black people love fried chicken" is one of the most perplexing stereotypes I've ever run across. Who tf doesn't love fried chicken? This is like accusing black people of drinking water when they are thirsty

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
its because poor people enslaved by others were often allowed to keep chickens and other small animals for themselves and their families on the plantations so the enslaved people were seen eating it a lot

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Historically it's also dirt cheap protein compared to pork or cow, and frying is a really simple way to make some mediocre meat taste good with minimal spices.

See also: stereotypes about poor people in the south - both white and black - eating fried catfish.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Show me a culture which keeps chicken or similar fowl that doesn't fry those delicious little fuckers up and love every artery choking minute of it.

We wear our chicken grease proudly, smeared all over our sleeves.

BRB, gonna charter a flight to airdrop a small fryer and some peanut oil on the Sentinalese.

Chickens are easy to keep. Especially if you don't expect them to live long.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madeintaipei posted:

BRB, gonna charter a flight to airdrop a small fryer and some peanut oil on the Sentinalese.

Mmm, KFC

Killed Fried Christian

I don't think they're actually cannibals, but I'd eat a dude if the gods dropped a fryer into my lap.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cyrano4747 posted:

Historically it's also dirt cheap protein compared to pork or cow, and frying is a really simple way to make some mediocre meat taste good with minimal spices.

See also: stereotypes about poor people in the south - both white and black - eating fried catfish.

Same with watermelon. Because it was easy to grow it became synonymous with exslaves. Propaganda said this was because they were "lazy farmers" so they only grew cheap and easy crops. Poor white farmers also grew it in large numbers until this propaganda changed that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

madeintaipei posted:

Show me a culture which keeps chicken or similar fowl that doesn't fry those delicious little fuckers up and love every artery choking minute of it.

We wear our chicken grease proudly, smeared all over our sleeves.

Chickens are easy to keep. Especially if you don't expect them to live long.

The dude who got second or third in the latest season of Top Chef owns a Japanese style fried chicken restaurant in Seattle called Taku. We went this last weekend and it was divine.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Fried chicken and watermelon are both incredibly popular in Japan. And most places. Because they're great.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol my new job hosed up on payroll and is paying me for the 19 days of vacation I took 3 days after I started. This is 2 jobs in a row that have done dumb poo poo like this. My previous job enrolled me a whole pay period early so I got a full paycheck the week before I had even started.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Same with watermelon. Because it was easy to grow it became synonymous with exslaves. Propaganda said this was because they were "lazy farmers" so they only grew cheap and easy crops. Poor white farmers also grew it in large numbers until this propaganda changed that.

Smdh at racists not growing watermelon any more because someone said black people like it.

Whatever more watermelon for me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
He steps in to my office to talk about why the system was not working correctly in the field. I explain to him (again) that what he was working on had no effect on the system we were supposed to be working on. "Well someone needs to figure this out!" Good idea. He then goes on a rant about Green Globalists and how global warming is a hoax.
"We're doomed!" Yeah buddy, we're doomed.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I gotta say I enjoy reading your stories about boomer co-worker more than I did telling my stories about antivax co-worker.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are they keeping up with the Alex Jones trial(s)?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

sex excellence posted:

its because poor people enslaved by others were often allowed to keep chickens and other small animals for themselves and their families on the plantations so the enslaved people were seen eating it a lot

I'm sure that's a reason why fried chicken is a large part of the culture, but I don't get why it's invoked like some huge insult. "lol they eat fried chicken and watermelon", and? You ever try fried chicken and watermelon? It's delicious. And whenever there's a story about people punching each other out in-line for a fried chicken sandwich, that poo poo is 100% being done by white people. And then when I was in New Zealand, every joint on Queen St offered fried chicken and was packed with Japanese 20-somethings. I can't fathom making someone feel lovely about liking a universally adored food.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm sure that's a reason why fried chicken is a large part of the culture, but I don't get why it's invoked like some huge insult.

Maybe if you tried being dumber and more racist you'd understand.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Motronic posted:

Maybe if you tried being dumber and more racist you'd understand.

I can't promise anything, but I'll try.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm sure that's a reason why fried chicken is a large part of the culture, but I don't get why it's invoked like some huge insult. "lol they eat fried chicken and watermelon", and? You ever try fried chicken and watermelon? It's delicious. And whenever there's a story about people punching each other out in-line for a fried chicken sandwich, that poo poo is 100% being done by white people. And then when I was in New Zealand, every joint on Queen St offered fried chicken and was packed with Japanese 20-somethings. I can't fathom making someone feel lovely about liking a universally adored food.

Because it's poor people / "those people" food. This isn't just a US thing, you see it elsewhere too, although the examples I'm aware of usually revolve around bread.* Something is a staple of the economic (and often social/racial) lower classes, people a rung or two above them on the ladder avoid it because they don't want to be perceived as being lower down than they really are, then a few generations later you have yuppie food bloggers raving about the authentic food truck serving it out front of their office building. By the time you get to that point the association isn't as strong and the people rediscovering it aren't as economically tenuous and afraid of backsliding.

I've got relatives in the South who still refuse to eat catfish because growing up they were always taught it was "white trash food" and none of them are exactly raking in bank. Being able to pretend they're better than someone living in a double-wide is more or less all they've got, so it's what they latch onto. Well, that and Tucker Carlson. edit: meanwhile our shared Grandfather, to the end of his days, loving loved fried catfish. Then again, he was verifiably poor as gently caress at one point in his life, and supplemented his diet with fishing more than once during the Depression.

*white bread made with heavily milled wheat grain was traditionally food for wealthy people. Coarser grains with more of the hull and oils left in the flour, like barley and rye, were what everyone else made. The fancy loaves of expensive boutique whole wheat, rye, etc. bread sitting on the shelves of a Whole Foods is an example of this kind of inversion.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Fried catfish is dope as gently caress and you can call me cletus if you want to but I'm not giving it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Catfish in a fish fry :yum: