Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Slavvy posted:

Take your MC cap off and try pushing the pistons back in using one of the old pads and a g clamp or similar, if one is stuck you'll know about it pretty quick. You usually can't see anything wrong visually from the outside.

Seems so obvious to try but I was just completely blanking out on thinking how to narrow down what could possibly be the cause. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do give them a visual inspection and a quick clean first though, if there's any grit or lumps of corrosion glued onto the piston wall then forcing them back in will gently caress up your o-rings and you'll be forced to replace them or do a full rebuild

Ask me how I know!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How hard is it to adapt to foot-forward controls? I've got a vacation in the mountains coming up and I'd love to rent a bike for a day but the only available bikes are cruisers. I've never ridden anything with forward controls before.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

How hard is it to adapt to foot-forward controls? I've got a vacation in the mountains coming up and I'd love to rent a bike for a day but the only available bikes are cruisers. I've never ridden anything with forward controls before.

only takes a few minutes. the biggest issue I had was not being to use your legs as extra suspension when you go over potholes/large bumps or whatever. lovely roads = bruised tailbone

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is why all foot forward bikes should have boards cause they let you use your legs properly.

That being said they aren't all crashed equal, I've been able to stand up on the pegs on quite a few foot forward designs even with pegs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

only takes a few minutes. the biggest issue I had was not being to use your legs as extra suspension when you go over potholes/large bumps or whatever. lovely roads = bruised tailbone

That, plus not being able to stand on the pegs to stretch or shake some feeling back into your rear end. For a style of bike that's meant for long distance cruising, locking you in to one seating position for hours can be torturous, and it's not like you're going to adjust the peg locations (if they're even adjustable) to fit your body on a rental.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It’s ok the bike gets trailered to sturgis or wherever so you don’t need to concern yourself with long ride comfort.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Bad brake update:
I can push all four pistons back in with just my thumb, so it doesn't seem any are stuck. Both calipers slide well (without new pads yet) with the pins back in.
Not really sure what the deal is now, I think at this point I'm just gonna pop some pads on, clean and grease the pins, change the fluid, and see how they feel from there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not much else you can do, it's weird to find nothing wrong after seeing that kind of wear.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Not much else you can do, it's weird to find nothing wrong after seeing that kind of wear.

I'm picking up an outside micrometer or whatever they're called this weekend to measure the disc thickness as the one pad was grinding down to the backing plate.

Bike has 20k miles so I guess there's an outside chance of one or both the rotors being too thin; why are bike brakes so dumb expensive?

Is a set like this fine? I'm seeing rotors from EBC and whatever the wave rotor company name is (Gaffer or something?) and I'm just shocked that those rotors are $200+ each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2952035249...emis&media=COPY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I'm picking up an outside micrometer or whatever they're called this weekend to measure the disc thickness as the one pad was grinding down to the backing plate.

Bike has 20k miles so I guess there's an outside chance of one or both the rotors being too thin; why are bike brakes so dumb expensive?

Is a set like this fine? I'm seeing rotors from EBC and whatever the wave rotor company name is (Gaffer or something?) and I'm just shocked that those rotors are $200+ each.

Idk why they're absurdly expensive but yeah 200 each is pretty normal. Those look ok I guess? Ymmv with random brands.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Tomorrow I’m going to look at a ‘94 Ducati Elefant 900

Outside of normal things to look at on a used bike, are there any issues specific to the model to look for? I’m likely going to buy it regardless, but pointing out problems is a good way to preface an initial offer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Tomorrow I’m going to look at a ‘94 Ducati Elefant 900

Outside of normal things to look at on a used bike, are there any issues specific to the model to look for? I’m likely going to buy it regardless, but pointing out problems is a good way to preface an initial offer.

If it bucks and surges below 3000rpm the clearances need to be done.

Check for a leaking slave cylinder.

You are a goddamn madman and I salute you.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Thanks for the tips! As if it's not a crazy enough purchase on its own, it's being sold as a bundle with an F650GS Dakar. Thankfully a buddy wants that so I won't have to own a BMW for too long.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

metallicaeg posted:

might see if warp9 makes rotors for your bike. definitely better than some chinesium eBay rotors

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Thanks all, think it's best to send them back and live with the vibes :/

e: now i'm wondering if I could 3d print something, although printed threads aren't usually very strong.

There are plenty of bar end weights that just have a rubber thing that gets compressed by the screw and squeezes out against the inside of the bar.

metallicaeg posted:

Bad brake update:
I can push all four pistons back in with just my thumb, so it doesn't seem any are stuck. Both calipers slide well (without new pads yet) with the pins back in.
Not really sure what the deal is now, I think at this point I'm just gonna pop some pads on, clean and grease the pins, change the fluid, and see how they feel from there.

The brake caliper can bind up (on a rough spot somewhere or a piece of nature in the wrong place) and not move at all, and when you just take stuff apart they may free up and seem just fine. Could be the slider pins, but I think more likely the ends of the pad where it sits against the caliper (where it can easily bind up at a slight angle), or maybe one of the pistons.

(This is what I've had happen on car brakes with varying number of pistons, but motorcycle brakes seem much like the same thing but smaller.)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’m assembling my MC, almost done, but I’m at the point where I need to install the spring pin. I remember now how much force it took to pull the pin out with pliers, and I have no idea how I’m going to get the new one (came with MC rebuild kit) back in to that little hole at the end of the push rod. I’m fiddling with different sized pliers but can’t get any leverage with the yoke in the way.

The FSM just says “install spring pin”, how do I do that?

I also don’t understand the spring pin’s purpose. To ensure the yoke doesn’t slip off the pushrod? The yoke is being held in place by a clevis pin, I don’t see how the yoke could rotate off.

The spring pin is #36 in this diagram, and goes in the end of the pushrod #24 after the yoke #25 is screwed on.

Here’s an action shot of this dumb little pin standing in the way of riding my goddam motorcycle :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 25, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seeing as that's a safety precaution and has no functional benefit you could just fit a split pin instead like a japanese bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, good point, I'll probably do that next time. I did eventually get the bastard in there.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

While we're on brake chat,

The brakes on my 2013 F800GS will randomly drag. The bike suddenly feels like I've ridden into a strong headwind.

I've coasted to a stop when it has happened, and none of the discs were hot to the touch.

I'm going to start by cleaning and greasing the slide pins, checking and cleaning the pistons, and making sure the discs aren't warped (using a straight edge).

Is there anything else I should look at while I'm in there?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have seen that happen on an f650 once, the abs unit decided to just put the front brake on for no reason, one day you'll go to start the bike and it'll be locked solid.

I am not entertaining alternative scenarios because bmw :colbert:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh, so ABS *can* actually randomly do that?

I thought i was crazy when i noticed it happen twice in my parents' Smart Roadster they used to have a long time ago, when i was a kid. It freaked me out enough that i didn't wanna ride in it anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean it's not normal or good or common and I've never heard of it on anything besides German vehicles; iirc the E46 had a problem with that happening as well.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Wait, that's actually a thing?

The ABS works fine, would anything come up in a scan?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

More brake chat. As I left unsure as to the cause, I've decided to rebuild both calipers. So I ordered two rebuild kits, EBC rotors :20bux:, EBC sintered pads :10bux:, and plenty of fluid to keep hydrated.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Captain McAllister posted:

On the Smart (which is a french built german designed car, so kinda german?) it never showed up as faulty, and it also never blinked a light. Once it kicked out the rear leaving a roundabout (definitely not power sliding!), another time i could hear the ABS rattle when there was absolutely no reason for it.

It had more computer fuckery though. Not the most reliable of cars. If you'd accidentally turn off the engine while still in D, it wouldn't always start when you move the lever back to N and try to start it. I think it got towed once because of that problem, and the garage never found anything wrong with it. Luckily it was under warranty.

Still, i yearn for one that i can spoon a SV1000 or one of those tuned-for-touring inline 4's into it, obviously not mating it to the terrible automatic.
The ride 100% feels like a very tiny light 1990s Mercedes E-class with a bit shorter suspension travel. Way more comfy than you'd expect. Never drove the thing myself - parents got rid of it well before i got my car license.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 26, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain McAllister posted:

Nope!

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
General question: what are the thoughts on project threads in Cycle Asylum?

Specific question: How would you go about clean cleaning the OEM air filter on a Honda CB450K4? Just spray it out with air? I'm worried it's made of something impossible to replace, since NOS OEM filters are very expensive, and "modern" washable filters need me to re-jet the carb, which I'm not ready to do quite yet.

Fashion question: 3/4 Evel Kenievel style crash helmet vs full face "cafe" helmet for stock vintage bikes?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

strangeless posted:

Fashion question: 3/4 Evel Kenievel style crash helmet vs full face "cafe" helmet for stock vintage bikes?

How attached are you to your jaw, figuratively speaking?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

strangeless posted:

Specific question: How would you go about clean cleaning the OEM air filter on a Honda CB450K4? Just spray it out with air? I'm worried it's made of something impossible to replace, since NOS OEM filters are very expensive, and "modern" washable filters need me to re-jet the carb, which I'm not ready to do quite yet.

1 :justpost:

2 you don't need to rejet poo poo but whatever. You can get air filter cleaner products, or just use like kerosene or something, it'll be fine

3 don't be a dumbass

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just get a modern normal full face helmet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

strangeless posted:

If you want to keep 4/4 of your head safe, you should wear a full face.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Russian Bear posted:

If you want to keep 4/4 of your head safe, you should wear a full face.

Thanks for the advice, just bought this awesome helmet

E-P
Apr 21, 2016

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

It’s nice that the bill is there to lever the helmet off your forehead so your head can take the full impact when you slam into the pavement or the side of an suv.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

strangeless posted:

Sorry, was the question between evel knievel style

And hipster trash style?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Both of those are awful for different reasons

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When a 20 something graphic designer gets told to draw some traditional style tattoos

~represent~

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Evel Knievel, noted Floridian, would surely endorse this helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Don't buy Icon, you deserve better