Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not needed, just helps protect the solder joints. You can find replacements that come with that part, if you really hunt around. Tape, heat shrink, and not intentionally bending the joints should suffice.

E: found on Alibaba, but not Banggood

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They have them on Aliexpress too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...id=7XKLpSJLMLlj

That said I just used heatshrink on mine. I think it's a much more reliable solution as tape often starts to unstick, slide, etc.

deong posted:

Try litchi or similar 3rd party.
I'm in a similar boat and that was all I could think. I'm running the android 13 beta, and it crashes the DJI fly app the same way.
It's annoying as hell and makes my magic mini almost useless.
Huh, I didn't think of a 3rd party app as an option at all. Ran out of time for loving around with it though, so I dragged around a drone in my backpack for a week to make 0 footage :v:

However, my idea with backup/restore worked. I downloaded the APK on the old phone, installed it, made a backup with Samsung Cloud, then restored the app on the new phone, bypassing the sideloading restriction :D

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

With the grey shield they are called XT60H connectors.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

With the grey shield they are called XT60H connectors.

this is what i needed, thank you

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
You could also slather it with some liquid electrical tape…handy stuff to have around.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Kuvo posted:

quick question

crashed my drone and busted the XT60 connector. I was looking at replacements but they dont seem to have the gray snap-on guard sleeve that goes over the solder points for the wires (half missing in the photo). any idea on what that guard is called or where i can buy them?

edit: on further investigation is that guard even needed if i wrap the solder point with electrical tape?

Nah, you're good as long as you wrap with electrical tape or put heat shrink on. If you want them, they're pretty quick to find on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-Upgr...ps%2C143&sr=8-1
Even if you get the sleeves, it's still good practice to insulate just in case.

*edit* beaten

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://youtu.be/wB55Gq0X-rQ

Awhile back, someone asked about drone tracking. Here’s how it works with the DJI proprietary software, similar to how the Real ID system is intended to work.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is the remote ID stuff going to result in thousands of police responses to false sightings by airline pilots?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It’s more the thing that Karen will use to summon the cops to your location. If the FAA doesn’t back off it will require, among other things, for the current location of the drone and base station to be broadcast.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I can't imagine anyone without a DJI drone complying.

I'm planning on building my first quad after getting into fixed wing (thanks, thread). The Protek25 seems like the perfect frame for what I want to do, but I use HDZero goggles and there isn't a non-DJI BNF. I also fly ELRS. I saw that the Protek25 BNF's have a 20 A ESC on their FC. I found the Happy Model X2 AIO FC that has ELRS but a 12 A ESC.

Would that work because that seems like a bad bottleneck? Should I get lower KV motors than the BNF's (1404 4800/5500KV)? Fly different props?

Any advice would be great.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm not an electrician. The ESC rating is not an actual output. To stay within the lower Amp limit, you might want higher kv motors and shallower props. Lower kv motors tend to have fewer windings but thicker wires to handle higher currents. It is all a balancing act.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

To keep amp loading lower, you need to:
Run lower KV motors
Shallower (pitch) props
Smaller props
Less blades

Or a combination of the above.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
General efficiency seems to be better with lower voltages and higher kv. You'll probably need to do some tests unless you can find motors with published test data of various voltages and props.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Well I took the lazy way out and just ordered a pre-built Foxeer Foxwhoop 25 w/ HDZero. Hope there's more HDZero options on the market as time goes on.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’ve been out of this game for a while, but happened across some videos that you might find interesting…

https://youtu.be/3dArEoLOvzI

https://youtu.be/KZ4cylB114E

Mainly the first one… but the second was cool too imo

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
lmao so I guess this guy is facing a pretty big fine and maybe even jail time

https://youtu.be/elHhJr9yb1o

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

lmao so I guess this guy is facing a pretty big fine and maybe even jail time

https://youtu.be/elHhJr9yb1o

It’s from 8 months ago? Something would have happened by now I assume.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

It’s from 8 months ago? Something would have happened by now I assume.

Something did:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/2022/09/22/drone-video-over-reds-bengals-stadiums-2-men-face-federal-charges/69510967007/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LOL fuckin dumbasses

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh gently caress, I figured he’d just fly over the stadium, not go IN it.

Holy poo poo.

He’s really lucky he didn’t hit the cable cam cables, as I’m sure they would be invisible on a dji remote

Also lol at all that risk and jail time for a really jankily shot video with super fast pans.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1575677610192867328

quote:

"This is the first time that I've seen it happen. It could have simply been an equipment malfunction. It may have been human error."

Mr Donald said there was no permanent damage to the network and thus would not be requesting the food delivery company to cover the damage.

However, he said, if any person or company caused network damage, for example, by reversing into a power pole, Energex could seek the cost of damage repairs.

He said everyone, including companies, had to be careful not to let objects hit power lines or cause damage to the network.

lol at the utility not caring about inconveniencing thousands, "just dont break our stuff!"

quote:

"The meal was still hot inside the drone's delivery box when the crew got there," Mr Donald said.
:hmmyes:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here's my shocked face:.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please tell me the food was from McDonalds

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/Paraoxonase/status/1578681875333545990

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

I have not heard of this particular chud subspecies before, but that’s funny as hell

Is it just bando because they use a bandana for a mask?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

namlosh posted:

I have not heard of this particular chud subspecies before, but that’s funny as hell

Is it just bando because they use a bandana for a mask?

They inhabit bandos, short for abandoned property, because they are full of sick gaps to attempt to fly through and broken glass to cut themselves on while attempting to retrieve their crashed kwads (quadcopter spelled more phonetically). Failing that, they can be found being thrown out of office parks or mall parking lots.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And yeah, stupidly high proportion of them smoke/vape and don't get that it's not cool to do so right next to other people.
Not to forget the attempts to adopt skate/street culture.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And yeah, stupidly high proportion of them smoke/vape and don't get that it's not cool to do so right next to other people.
Not to forget the attempts to adopt skate/street culture.

The most punk rock thing you can do is play with a thousand dollar toy in an annoying manner that poses a greater risk to others and others property than yourself.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is anybody using the Walksnail/Caddx/Fatshark digital FPV system? I just preordered the VRX and VTX combo with full size camera since I really want to try something digital and I don’t want to just have my HDO2’s sit there. Also ordered the stuff to build a AOS 3.5 for it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's your question?

Digital offers far better video quality and penetration than analog. Downsides are more expensive and higher latency.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Just general remarks regarding the experience of building and flying with it, or things to watch out for. It seems like most of the reviews are from when it came out and it was a basket case, but it has improved a lot.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Analog video has poor video quality, and requires (for OSD) knockoffs of a chip that hasn't been produced in a while.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Dominoes posted:

Analog video has poor video quality, and requires (for OSD) knockoffs of a chip that hasn't been produced in a while.

I know? I was asking about Walksnail.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is anybody using the Walksnail/Caddx/Fatshark digital FPV system?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Oh, of course!

Digital video has good video quality, and doesn't require knockoffs of a chip that hasn't been produced in a while.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does someone make a good 1/16 scale hobby-grade monster truck these days? I could have sworn that Traxxas makes a mini Stampede but I guess thats not the case.

My youngest is at the age where he's definitely outgrown the Wal-Mart type RC cars, but he's young enough that he'll still be crashing a lot, so being able to replace parts as they break is a must.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tamiya re-issues? otherwise 1/16 to 1/24 crawlers are *great for teaching basics.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I completely forgot about the Traxxas/Latrax Teton. Wound up getting that for him. 4WD, real suspension, proportional steering and throttle, it's gonna be a huge upgrade over the walmart stuff for him. Still a brushed motor and NIMH battery though, which is good, I dont want him dealing with lipo stuff, he can just plug it in and forget it

https://latrax.com/products/teton

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sounds perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is anybody using the Walksnail/Caddx/Fatshark digital FPV system? I just preordered the VRX and VTX combo with full size camera since I really want to try something digital and I don’t want to just have my HDO2’s sit there. Also ordered the stuff to build a AOS 3.5 for it.

SInce there are a ton of sales on this stuff right now I figured I'd post my experience with the Walksnail system, and the AOS 3.5 in case someone was considering picking it up.

I did pre-order the VRX but my caveman/child brain realized that December 10 was a LONG way away, so in a moment of weakness I bought a set of Avatar goggles and two air units for 150 bucks off. I built it into an AOS 3.5 frame with HGLRC 1804 3500KV motors, Hobbywing Xrotor F7 40A micro stack (overkill but I want this thing to be bulletproof and I hate swapping blown components), with a Crossfire nano.

For all the issues the system had when it first came out, the whole thing has been really good so far. Image quality is great, the goggles are built amazingly well and fit fantastic. They are super comfortable and light and easy to transport. Firmware upgrades are very easy. After wiring the air unit to a UART and configuring the flight controller in betaflight, the OSD was auto detected by the goggles and works great.

One thing that got me is that the anti-fog for the lenses on the goggles. On old goggles, there is a dedicated fan for this, on the Walksnail goggles, it's just a slider that allows air in from the other cooling fan for the electronics. I wasn't sure it was working since I couldn't hear a fan start or stop when I moved the slider until I popped the faceplate off and figured out how it works.

USB-C to HDMI out works great as long as your video settings are right (720P, 60FPS), so you can give ridealongs with a cheap HDMI monitor or another set of HD goggles).

The only complaints I have are that the included antennas are not the best. I have some TrueRC's on the way for the goggles and I may try some on the air unit as well. Also, many analog cameras still have better low light performance, and so does HDZero. But, since Caddx made the Polar for the DJI system I'll bet they come out with something for this as well.

The little AOS 3.5 is a blast. It's fairly quiet, less than 250 grams RTF, has excellent power, and feels similar to a 5" but obviously with no GoPro. Tuning was super easy but I flew it for a while on betaflight defaults and it loves those too.