Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
difficulty is very hard to define for paradox games in general, least of all ones like Vicky where your goals are so nebulous. EU4 is designed to be a boring map painter, so it’s difficulty can readily be defined as “harder to expand”. In Vicky? Should it be industries more expensive for you? Your populace generally angrier? These all are really different and not so much harder as changing approaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also difficulty settings in pdox games ends up being arbitrary stat boosts. The option to crank ai aggression up might be close to one tho

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh yeah it also doesn’t help that paradox games have no AI typically lol. I think there was a brief period in EU4 where it did but then they changed how forts worked for the umpteenth time and now it doesn’t again

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CK3 does have difficulty levels.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I think the idea is that V3 is so simulation-focused and everything is so interconnected that they don't want to break that by magically giving AI countries extra money or resources.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should do it anyways because it would be funny

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Exactly; I feel like one of the things that makes Paradox games so replayable is how there’s a difficulty setting basically innate to the game just depending on the starting situation of the country you play.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Heck you can even have different difficulties just depending on what you want to do. Playing the us and just sticking close to history will be much easier than deciding to find out how many stars can fit in the flag

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Heck you can even have different difficulties just depending on what you want to do. Playing the us and just sticking close to history will be much easier than deciding to find out how many stars can fit in the flag

100 sadly.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Hellioning posted:

CK3 does have difficulty levels.

It only has simplicity levels.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Baronjutter posted:

I'm 40 years old and never thought I'd be hyper-hyped and fixated on a game like this ever again, yet here I am ready to be hurt bad again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

100 sadly.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Obviously I can't play the game yet but my reading isn't that aristocrats are necessary to order the idiot peasants to grow food, they'll do that just fine if you leave them alone. What they do is enable profitably extracting a surplus from agricultural industry, which is what the state and the player care about, but people don't just starve if you have 0 aristocrats. Hell, they're probably better off, but you the player/state aren't so gently caress 'em.

Aristocrats also had jobs on the subsistence buildings last time I played the leak. They just kinda had lower profit and QOL consequently because subsistence buildings output little commodities for the amount of labor used and that's before the other rural buildings started decreasing subsistence output.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can't wait for the game, and to utterly screw up my economy or at least make the upper classes mad by pursuing an agenda of improving the situation of the lower classes as much as possible.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Crete LP senate based AI when.

My pops won't stop buying only Japanese goods, my population is completely stagnant, and my radicalization is maxed out but there's no actual rebellions. Help!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Takanago posted:

I think the idea is that V3 is so simulation-focused and everything is so interconnected that they don't want to break that by magically giving AI countries extra money or resources.
Yeah. Might even be some cases where what was supposed to strengthen the AI does the opposite, like if you changed AI pop demands and this effectively put the world into a permanent depression that the player was much better able to navigate than the AI.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

JosefStalinator posted:

My pops won't stop buying only Japanese goods, my population is completely stagnant, and my radicalization is maxed out but there's no actual rebellions. Help!

spend less on luxury goods

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

spend less on luxury goods

My pops all spent exactly 10 dollars and now they're all unemployed "artisans"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

My pops all spent exactly 10 dollars and now they're all unemployed "artisans"

Artisan sounds a bit too hands-on, I'm more of an ideas guy

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Philosopher pops, all they produce is criticism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Game is exactly 1 month away now!

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

Game is exactly 1 month away now!

Oh god it’s still a whole month away

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
It's been at least 15 years since I'v taken vacation time for a game release. I'm so god drat hyped. What can possibly go wrong!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Lady Radia posted:

oh yeah it also doesn’t help that paradox games have no AI typically lol. I think there was a brief period in EU4 where it did but then they changed how forts worked for the umpteenth time and now it doesn’t again

It'd be really interesting to see planning/execution and elaboration codes integrated as nation AI for PDX games (what wiz wrote seems like a small step in that direction). Essentially, every nation has a similar set of tasks that require resources (e.g. protect borders requires X battalions, etc). The task specifics (e.g. priority, conditions, other parameters) are set per country or dynamically through elaboration code (e.g. if we lose this territory, prioritize actions that reclaim it). Tasks execute when their conditions are met. Replanning happens based on triggers or timer. Broadly, these sorts of architectures are used for autonomous systems but system validation is a challenge.

It could also fry everyone's CPU.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I feel like I’ve been playing various Paradox games and building sims lately in a desperate attempt to feel human in advance of the release date. Still a month away… :smith:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
lol in the stream today they spent the first hour playing a branch of the game that deleted your entire industry any time a law passed

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DrSunshine posted:

I feel like I’ve been playing various Paradox games and building sims lately in a desperate attempt to feel human in advance of the release date. Still a month away… :smith:

Stay strong.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

These streams have been great for bug QC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fuf posted:

lol in the stream today they spent the first hour playing a branch of the game that deleted your entire industry any time a law passed

So libertarians really were right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a blast with Leviathan so I'm ready for anything.

Sometimes I miss the Native Mega-Cities and 1000 points military dictator, before remembering how it deleted saves.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Really enjoyed the Egypt stream, bugs included.

And the 20 minutes with Zulu also made me hopefuly that playing a very small unimportant country still looks interesting.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is there a list of playable tags anywhere?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want to try Québec and Hudson Bay Company since it's where I live, I want to try Taiping, but knowing myself I'm gonna go all in for cheevos lol.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I’m a little skeptical about vicky3s warfare system. I have been watching some vicky2 mp games and have noticed several times one side taking a really bad exchange, falling back and then recovering enough to turn the war around and win the thing.

With vicky3s system it doesn’t seem like this will ever happen and it’s just a pure number crunch. Positioning troops and using terrain is basically all an automated number crunch. Idk seems like it’s going to be a lot less interesting.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Yes I agree, I have good memories of some legendary wars in Vic 2 multiplayer.

But that is like 1/100 wars you fight. The rest are annoying sieges and not even wanting go micro after 2 battles because you know you will win, but you still have to. The new system can probably not make the same memorable wars, but it can sure remove a lot of tedium.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
V3 warring is just an extension of the economic system. There's still a lot of cool stuff you can do with it, it's just that most of that stuff is going to occur outside the war itself. In the Egypt stream they managed to get a substantial advantage and win a war with the Ottomans by subsidizing and importing a lot of artillery to buff their army, at the cost of a lot of money. Against the AI paradox wars are almost entirely exploiting the AI to carry yourself to victory, now the AI will be on a more even footing. Plus you can still micromanage and boost yourself to have an advantage over the AI, just it'll be a lot less exploity hopefully.

As far as MP..honestly there's so much to do and keep track of in the game that I feel like 95% of players are not going to miss having to drop everything else to micromanage armies whenever a war is fought. Esp since uninvolved players could use that time to micromanage their economy and gain large advantages.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pooned posted:

Yes I agree, I have good memories of some legendary wars in Vic 2 multiplayer.

But that is like 1/100 wars you fight. The rest are annoying sieges and not even wanting go micro after 2 battles because you know you will win, but you still have to. The new system can probably not make the same memorable wars, but it can sure remove a lot of tedium.

Yeah having to carpet siege the whole country was always the major hurdle to going to war with Russia in Vicky 2. Dealing with their military might and larges numbers of conscripted troops? Not a problem. Having to micro your way across the country sieging down 100+ provinces just to get the occupation warscore up enough to actually enforce any demands? Really makes it feel like it's not gonna be worth it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m a little skeptical about vicky3s warfare system. I have been watching some vicky2 mp games and have noticed several times one side taking a really bad exchange, falling back and then recovering enough to turn the war around and win the thing.

With vicky3s system it doesn’t seem like this will ever happen and it’s just a pure number crunch. Positioning troops and using terrain is basically all an automated number crunch. Idk seems like it’s going to be a lot less interesting.
You can still withdraw your troops after a bad exchange. Terrain still makes a difference.

Making it more of a number crunch is an improvement. Why should the person who made a better economy (including military economy) be easily defeated by the person who can play an abstract troop positioning mini-game better? Bismark didn't outplay everyone by positioning individual armies well, he did it with infrastructure and industry.

I don't wanna come off like "go play starcraft lol" but... maybe go play an RTS if you want to test that kind of skill in multiplayer? Or any other Paradox game really.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The main thing I remember from V2 was that I rarely engaged in wars at all because they were a giant pain in the rear end to fight even if you knew you could win and late-game eternal hellbattles where two sides kept feeding mobilized conscripts into one gigantic knockdown brawl in a single province.

War was the least interesting aspect of V2. The only time I thought there was an interesting war was when I was playing the US, cut the bureaucratic budget significantly when I discovered myself overstaffed, and found myself facing wave after wave of rebellions by angry unemployed bureaucrats, and that was only interesting because of the social aspects, not any part of actually fighting the wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

At the end of the day you either want hands-on tactical gameplay or don't. Like, I'm squarely on "don't" so the automation of such things sounds great. I like that warfare is designed largely in terms of its relationship to the economy/society/politics mechanics, because that's ostensibly what the game is all about. The result is that the player doesn't fight wars, the country they've built does, which is great because then it exposes the consequences of how you chose to build it, and also how well you've maneuvered diplomatically. The central flaw of direct player control is that success becomes largely dictated by a very narrow set of skills separate from the skills of the core gameplay loop, which in turn tends to mask the results of your choices in that core loop. And that's why I say it's not only good, but necessary to move in this direction if you want to make a game that is focused on society building. It makes the design a coherent whole rather than cleaving a part off.

Of course, there are different possible way to implement a hands-off system. I still think some form of front splitting would be good because it would add more depth to General selection and placement. More visual feedback in the form of pixelmen is also definitely needed. But mostly I'd like them to go even harder on tying war to politics. Have the success or failure of generals impact the support of the IGs they belong to. Have the IGs support or oppose wars depending on circumstances. Represent a nationalist public's rallying to the colors if you go to war against a hated enemy, or their revanchism after you get humiliated. That's the stuff I crave from a Victoria warfare system; conversely I couldn't care less about optimizing my stack placement for modifiers. I've got a mountain of games for the latter already, many of them from Paradox.