Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nilbop posted:

Another day, another checkmark on the "Glad I emmigrated" box.

And I only emmigrated from Northern Ireland. You poor cunts in England are well hosed.

yeah cheers we know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The earthquakes are the point. Fracking isn't about fossil fuel supplies, it's about cracking England off its foundations and scudding across the high seas like the Isle of Wight hovercraft.
When Boris Johnson said he wanted a buccaneering economy, he meant it literally. Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm honestly not sure whether or not they originate as political inventions first or whether a lot of people just have an innate obstinacy and conviction that everyone else is a workshy layabout who is trying to put one over on them and not a proper hard man like they should be, and enough people together with those ideas generates a sort of gestalt Bad Takes Field that discharges as daily express articles.
I tried to write a response to this, but realized I was just hashing out chunks of Hirschman's The Rhetoric of Reaction, but yeah it's probably all three, the political invention, the nurtured conviction, and their synthesis as daily expressi, which then feeds back.

It's interesting in itself as an End Of History era thought (just slightly predating Fukuyama's Brain Moment) that's strongly "end of what? lmao no it's all cakewaves of reaction often even from the progressives."

fuctifino posted:

TL;DR: Orwell was an optimist
Here too but for the far more recent Politics at a Distance from the State, which came from Rhodes University, Makhanda. Truly a man visionary enough to sponsor the presses that would one day call him a big oval office. The state is not the end, it's not even the start.
:vuvu:

It's not referenced in that book, but a bunch of dynamically organized elders, religious leaders, and medical patients relentlessly puffing in shifts outside the South African Constitutional Court was a big driver of decrim and a route to private growing being passed there too, which I'm sure the authors would consider an action at a distance* from the state if they thought about it, so good work there too :420:

*usually about 5 to 100 metres depending on how lovely the cops were that day

(I should update the op booklist too, any suggestions all?)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oops!

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-thanks-vladimir-putin-for-inspirational-leadership-instead-of-zelenskyy-12703631

quote:

As he listed the reasons why Ukraine's counter-offensive is proving to be successful, though, he inadvertently thanked Mr Putin, before quickly correcting himself and thanking Mr Zelenskyy.

I know it's easy to make slips of the tongue but anything to humiliate Johnson is good.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

People often wonder how the Tories can commit such heinous evil, but the truth is they're just like that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1573089546706771970

:toot:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is that in Zarah's constituency?

e: No, it's Taiwo Owatemi in Coventry NW (208 maj.)

e2: Those gains for TUSC though, phwoar. Nearly into third spot. The revolution is coming.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 23, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I originally thought the CCP had to be the Coventry Communist Party, but maybe it's the Chinese Communist Party come to take over?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1572927212814495745

lib dem fightback

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I originally thought the CCP had to be the Coventry Communist Party, but maybe it's the Chinese Communist Party come to take over?

Their manifesto seems pretty good to be fair https://www.covparty.uk/policies/

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

jack dee supports antivaxxers lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looke posted:

jack dee supports antivaxxers lol

with his face like a peppered doodle

because he got measles

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wtf why is there a budget statement now.

When I was a lad you had one budget every April, and nothing changed except booze and fags went up a bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

keep punching joe posted:

Everything is on fire

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

When I was a lad you had one budget every April, and nothing changed except booze and fags went up a bit.

Tories want to cut National Insurance lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

holy poo poo loads of money being handed out but none for those who actually need it lmao

whta the gently caress

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is wild.

Cutting the bankers bonus limit and the 45% income tax rate for earnings over £150k is particularly strong.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

This is wild.

Cutting the bankers bonus limit and the 45% income tax rate for earnings over £150k is particularly strong.

Well I don't know about you but I'm really excited for some of that money to trickle down to me :f5:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Microplastics posted:

Well I don't know about you but I'm really excited for some of that money to trickle down to me :f5:

I think the dungeon behind the toilets got closed, sorry.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

Kwarteng says the government will introduce VAT-free shopping for tourists.

?????????????????????????

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
VAT will be added at the till and if you show your passport you can get it taken off. This is a good sign of a country in control of its internal market.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
VAT-free shopping was a thing for non-EU visitors until the end of 2020 iirc

I guess they're gonna bring it back and probably allow EU visitors to do it too?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Okeating/status/1572934691690541060

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm really tired, what's the loving point

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

VAT-free shopping was a thing for non-EU visitors until the end of 2020 iirc

I guess they're gonna bring it back and probably allow EU visitors to do it too?

"Introduce a modern, digital VAT-free shopping scheme"

So it'll be an expensive IT project to funnel money to a consultancy firm run by someone's partner, and then drop a stack of costs onto small businesses to implement it, involving an app that doesn't work and a website that's always down?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Dropping NI back to 12% and basic Income Tax to 19% will give me an extra *checks notes* £39.01 per month. Truly the good times are here again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

VAT will be added at the till and if you show your passport you can get it taken off. This is a good sign of a country in control of its internal market.

So is this designed so prices on labels look 20% cheaper (CON+5) and so your shopping will cost you 20% more than you thought when you get to the till unless you are a Johnny Forinner with a dodgy passport?

VAT-free shopping has always been a thing if you spend more than £120 in the UK (IIRC) you can get it back at the airport.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 23, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Dropping NI back to 12% and basic Income Tax to 19% will give me an extra *checks notes* £39.01 per month. Truly the good times are here again.

Will be of almost no benefit to me as my total income is scraping along the personal tax allowance. Many part-time workers **because that is all that is available** will be in the same boat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'd expect it'll be a case of tourists take their receipts to a desk at the airport and receive the refund there. Having to carry it out at the till is a terrible idea. so they'll absolutely do that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

I'd expect it'll be a case of tourists take their receipts to a desk at the airport and receive the refund there. Having to carry it out at the till is a terrible idea. so they'll absolutely do that.

But they've always been able to get it refunded at the airport! so it's not even new.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm really tired, what's the loving point

Hello mate,

Listen. It's easy to get miserable about this endless parade of bullshit. But like - it is possible for things to get better. Imagine like, Victorian times where people starved in the street (the times these ghouls want back). Imagine living in the 1300s. Those people must have thought nothing would ever change, and the world was the way it was, and there was no point hoping. But they weren't right, and it's possible we aren't right either.

Like if you need to have a wallow and feel the despair then go for it, but try, when you have energy for it, to remember that in the end we don't actually know what's coming down the pipe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So is this designed so prices on labels look 20% cheaper (CON+5) and so your shopping will cost you 20% more than you thought when you get to the till unless you are a Johnny Forinner with a dodgy passport?

VAT-free shopping has always been a thing if you spend more than £120 in the UK (IIRC) you can get it back at the airport.
I don't think even Truss and Kwarteng are stupid enough to go to tax-exclusive pricing, that just pisses everyone off. But being able to get tax deducted at the till is a good sign of a booming 1970s economy that's dependent entirely on shopping trips from neighbouring countries so that's a possibility.

Unrelated, wee regret to inform you that Toby Young still exists, and is being a 'modern sceptic' by uncritically believing the dumbest poo poo on earth.
https://twitter.com/TheDisproof/status/1573230300083232768

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

They’ve already been able to take receipts to a desk at the airport and get tax back.

Maybe it got scrapped at some point in the decade or so I’ve been out of retail but we (the retailer) used to have to fill out these long-rear end forms with all the persons passport and travel details, manually look up how much of a refund they were entitled to on a separate and very easy to lose table of figures, then send them on their way to go get their money back with it when they eventually left the country.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you read it as they've accepted losing the next election I guess this is smart. Do a bunch of wildly unpopular poo poo that you really want to do, and leave the next government with zero options other than massive tax increases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had wondered if the point is to cut a bunch of taxes stupidly so they can complain about any other government raising them again.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

History Comes Inside! posted:

They’ve already been able to take receipts to a desk at the airport and get tax back.

Maybe it got scrapped at some point in the decade or so I’ve been out of retail but we (the retailer) used to have to fill out these long-rear end forms with all the persons passport and travel details, manually look up how much of a refund they were entitled to on a separate and very easy to lose table of figures, then send them on their way to go get their money back with it when they eventually left the country.

It was, they scrapped it Jan first last year.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Will be of almost no benefit to me as my total income is scraping along the personal tax allowance. Many part-time workers **because that is all that is available** will be in the same boat.

Of course. Full time on NMW would see you getting about a tenner a month back from this. Obviously for part-timers it's less still. My partner will be getting gently caress all as a person who doesn't earn above the tax threshold anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

My read of it is that they want to do all that but digitally* and in store.

It's not in the realm of complete sci-fi, a lot of shops near the border in many countries used to have a no tax button on the till and allow a bit of flexibility with the take, this will just add a digital paper trail to it (at least until the first consultant says 'blockchain' and then the whole thing falls to poo poo).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I had wondered if the point is to cut a bunch of taxes stupidly so they can complain about any other government raising them again.

Definitely. Labour *have to* go into the next election saying they'll raise taxes now, and you'll get idiots on QT getting red and mad about how they're not well off and shouldn't be taxed more for earning £100k because their mate earns £120k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually, we would scrap income tax entirely.

Replacing it with profits from state owned monopolies.