Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Copy pasted Snout again on the second panel, from when he tumbled off the tiny cliff while fighting not-Swamp Thing a short while back, only now he's been rotated, making an already awkward pose look doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

ScienceSeagull posted:

The previous portal trip featured the giant Snout/Buddha/uterus face thing that showed up in dreams afterward, so I guess this tree caterpillar thing is the equivalent for Kaianda. I have a feeling it's traced from somewhere; the design of a face melting into branches/veins looks kind of familiar but I can't say where I've seen it. Maybe something by Alex Gray or another new age artist?

It's 100% traced from somewhere. Having looked through Gray's gallery, I don't think it's one of his since I didn't see any pieces combining human and animal parts like this. I strongly suspect it's traced from one of Hieronymus Bosch's critters. The combination of human and animal traits, the hollow head/face mask, etc reminds me of one of the little demons in "garden of earthly delights" or "temptation of st. anthony" or similar but each one of those has a lot of characters in it so it might take a while to zero in on. If it wasn't Mookie, I'd say it looks like something by Shintaro Kago (nsfw), but I feel like Mookie wouldn't follow his stuff so wouldn't end up tracing it.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I hadn't thought of Bosch, good point. But now that I think of it, the human face on a caterpillar body with lots of tiny legs is a bit reminiscent of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream:

Also I can't seem to find it online, but I think Wayne Barlowe has also illustrated something like that, a creature with a big human face and lots of wiggly little legs.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 22, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I Have No Plot and I Must Update

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Cube Sphinx also kind of giving me vibes of Elsenova from Axiom Verge. Not sure why my brain went there first, but yeah.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tesseraction posted:

I Have No Plot and I Must Update

I don't care how new the thread title is, this is it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Cube Sphinx also kind of giving me vibes of Elsenova from Axiom Verge. Not sure why my brain went there first, but yeah.

Yeah, my brain went there immediately too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't know what this is. Kaianda's original form? Her dream form? Why are they opening a gate to Asinotaph when they are awake? Is mookie's idea of picking up the pace just speedrunning to the end?

e; I think these are visions? Like before making a vine clone of herself original Kaianda had gotten to Asinotaph?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Is mookie's idea of picking up the pace just speedrunning to the end?

Legacy of Dominic Deegan 0% plot speedrun (PB 3 years 5 months)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

YF-23 posted:

I don't know what this is. Kaianda's original form? Her dream form? Why are they opening a gate to Asinotaph when they are awake? Is mookie's idea of picking up the pace just speedrunning to the end?

e; I think these are visions? Like before making a vine clone of herself original Kaianda had gotten to Asinotaph?

Man, it's not even fun to point out the copy-paste rotations when he does them in the very next comic like this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kaianda not have an original form? Isn't the whole deal of a "vine clone" that it's a new, blank body made out of plant material for the caster to download their consciousness into? Wasn't Kaianda supposed to have been inhabited by the spirit of the old professor from the underground cabin who got burned and turned into ash? I mean, I know the answer is that Mookie immediately forgot about it because he lost interest, but still.

Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps she is glimpsing the future.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm pretty sure the vine-drenched professor believed the vines were disassembling the unnamed Mongrelfolk friend he gave to them to make Kaianda as a blank-slate wife for him, not as a secondary body.

I don't remember what it is that the Vines were actually doing in creating her. Possibly some sort of offspring dispersion method?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 23, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, NOW I'm understanding why Mookie felt the need to write so many exposition dumps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reminder that the tower is Snout's dick.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
When (and why) did Kaianda change clothes? And the ground in the last panel looks like how Mookie has depicted the dark oceans of the dream world before, where Snout kept sinking, so is she pulling a Jesus?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think we're seeing into the past version of Kaianda

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
All of this dream memory magic is basically the ultimate writing discovery for Mookie. With it, the characters never have to do anything at all. Everything can just happen without any effort on their part, nor any need for explanation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tesseraction posted:

I think we're seeing into the past version of Kaianda

Except past Kaianda was made out of a mongrelfolk, and this is clearly just her (a human, visually) dressed in ways appropriate to her.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

maltesh posted:

I'm pretty sure the vine-drenched professor believed the vines were disassembling the unnamed Mongrelfolk friend he gave to them to make Kaianda as a blank-slate wife for him, not as a secondary body.

I don't remember what it is that the Vines were actually doing in creating her. Possibly some sort of offspring dispersion method?

Yes, the vines spoke to him and warped his mind until he threw his mongrelfolk friend into them. The realization of what he did broke the mage even further, and when the vines started building Kaianda, he was convinced that they were making a wife for him from the lifeforce of his friend.

They were actually making her so she would kill him (which she did), then wander off to burst into another batch of vines on new land and start the process again. This last part is exactly why the crew were heading back to the Wild Edge, but Mookie gonna Mookie so we're seeing whatever this all is instead.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I guess Mookie's twitter updates are now mandatory to understand the comic.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1573344072860835840?s=20&t=DfCPJyJmnEytMYINFTF4vg

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No I'm good, I don't need to understand any of what's going on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Emrikol posted:

All of this dream memory magic is basically the ultimate writing discovery for Mookie. With it, the characters never have to do anything at all. Everything can just happen without any effort on their part, nor any need for explanation.

This is his ultimate evolution of his misunderstanding of "heroes react, villains act"

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Now that we've established that Kaianda did the thing that Snout did several chapters ago, we're ready to really start making some progress.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1573372755231244288?t=3bGam6sZzxxbrcAeVAwbiA&s=19

You chose to do this, you can't be like "oh well, looks like I was wrong in my prediction"

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Dominic Deegan: No I'm good, I don't need to understand any of what's going on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Billy Gnosis posted:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1573372755231244288?t=3bGam6sZzxxbrcAeVAwbiA&s=19

You chose to do this, you can't be like "oh well, looks like I was wrong in my prediction"

The sad part is he's not even succeeding at that, it's incredibly obvious on its face what all the "dream images" mean. I could tell right away that was the "original" corpsemom because of her clothes change, and it's clear she did dream magic stuff involving that one city they care so much about. The rest like the Geiger head with the big Order cube (which we explicitly already know the meaning of) are just meaningless fluff that is supposed to look weird and dreamlike with no real meaning.

I agree with him that he's failing on actually advancing the plot, though. I'm still not really sure what the plot is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought original Kaianda was a dude. Isn't that the guy Snout got the magic flower from that he later gave to Sunflower?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hostile V posted:

No I'm good, I don't need to understand any of what's going on.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought original Kaianda was a dude. Isn't that the guy Snout got the magic flower from that he later gave to Sunflower?

Kind of. The Necromancer befriended that guy when he moved out into the wilderness, but then he was given to the vines and strung up in a hole. When Snout arrives and climbs into the hole, he finds the guy's body, and rips half its skin off as he takes it off the wall and carries it around with him for some reason.

Deeper in the hole, he finds Kaianda along with some journal pages that say she's the result of the cabin's Necromancer putting his friend's "life essence" into a new body to become his wife.

Nothing in the comics implies that either of them are still alive, so Snout of course drags them both up out of the hole with him. The guy (who has been drained of his life essence) picks a flower for Snout before turning to dust, and Kaianda kills the Necromancer.

When they got back to the tower (9 months later), the story decides that she's a vine clone rather than just a reanimated corpse, and eating the flower gives her the ability to speak.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At least they're not naked this time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, back in "Natural Necromancy", the journal writer (one of the many characters in Legacy who never gets a name) says that the vines are going to create a "new wife" for him by "transferr[ing]" his "mongrel friend's life essence" into "a new body". And later, Orcy McMeanface the rest of the tower crew identify Kaianda as a "vine clone".

So it's not really clear what, if any, necromancy occurs in "natural necromancy". And I suppose we can hand-wave away the whole "soul transfer" or whatever and just assume that the vines were lying to Skinless Thoreau, or he was just delusional or something. But now everyone just accepts that there was an "original Kaianda" who coincidentally was also faffing about doing something involving the Dream Realm. So I guess what we're meant to believe is that Snout's Kaianda is more or less equivalent to the Thing from The Thing (1982)...like the vines had previously eaten Original Kaianda and had elected to use her form, for some reason, to create a wife for Skinless Thoreau. Why? No telling. At that point he (two-tone Henry David) was apparently already barking mad and completely in their thrall, so their (the vines'/the vine "necromancer"'s) motivation in the whole thing is [this space intentionally left blank].

But okay. So Snout's Kaianda is basically James Arness in a rubber suit, great. But if that's true, then Snout's Kaianda's connexion to Original Kaianda is...genetic similarity? Like I guess we all know that the answer is that we're not intended to think very hard about this so as to not require Mookie to think too hard about it. But if this is a "new body"/"clone" then the only reason Snout's Kaianda would know anything about Original Kaianda is some kind of "necromantic" Lemarckianism/genetic memory/whatever.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SubG posted:

And I suppose we can hand-wave away the whole "soul transfer" or whatever and just assume that the vines were lying to Skinless Thoreau, or he was just delusional or something.

I feel like Skinless guy still had some connection to Kaianda (at least it did when the vine clone aspect first came up), since him crumbling to dust right after giving the flower to Snout and the flower giving Kaianda the ability to speak feels like a "this is the last of my life essence" thing that made her "complete".

Though of course that might not still be the case. The Necromancer and his skinless friend could now just exist in the same void of nonexistence as the ink ship's original owner and the villains who have been missing for over two years.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah that's what doesn't make sense to me. Kaianda's soul is the soul of the mongrelfolk guy. So the "original Kaianda should be that dude, it makes no sense for it to be a woman who looks like Kaianda. I can accept that the evil vines could have copied an already existing person's appearance, sure that's fine, but even if they did she'd have no actual connection to that person aside from looking similar, there's no way she could have that woman's memories or abilities.

I guess unless the evil vines also took that woman's soul at some point and the vines just keep people's memories/experiences as part of their consciousness? But if that's the case then Kaianda should have many people's memories, not just this one woman's. Or, unless the evil vines still had the original Kaianda's soul and just kept it lying around for a while and created an exact duplicate of her out of vines and then put her soul into it and the mongrelfolk dude has nothing to do with anything.

That would be really stupid, so that's probably the answer. Or it's something even stupider.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

unless everything in the journal was a lie for no reason

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Or "it's a new to him body (but actually a random dead body the vines had around for some undisclosed reason)" or some other handwave-y "the DM didn't think this through" rule lawyer-y horseshit.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Here's everything we know about Kaianda prior to today's comic:

I think we can take the journal as truthful, just because that's how this comic works. People make assumptions like "we may need to do [X]" or "This might be [Y]", and then the story just plows ahead as if whatever hypothesis they have is now an irrefutable fact because Mookie knows what is and isn't true, and therefore so do the characters (as we see from Arudak's bizarre leap that Kaianda was cloned from someone who was doing dream magic and that means they need to go back to the Wild Edge).

Though that doesn't mean that what's true at any given moment is necessarily the same thing as what was true or what will be true later on. Skinless guy probably wasn't supposed to be a Chandak when he was introduced, Kaianda probably wasn't supposed to be a clone, and when she was turned into a clone, her body's original identity probably wasn't supposed to be anyone important.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Same, vine lady. Same.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cool job giving the only black woman what appears to be African inspired wardrobe. Not stereotyping her at all or being super lazy

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Kaianda is basically made up entirely of highly questionable choices.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah that's what doesn't make sense to me. Kaianda's soul is the soul of the mongrelfolk guy. So the "original Kaianda should be that dude, it makes no sense for it to be a woman who looks like Kaianda. I can accept that the evil vines could have copied an already existing person's appearance, sure that's fine, but even if they did she'd have no actual connection to that person aside from looking similar, there's no way she could have that woman's memories or abilities.

I guess unless the evil vines also took that woman's soul at some point and the vines just keep people's memories/experiences as part of their consciousness? But if that's the case then Kaianda should have many people's memories, not just this one woman's. Or, unless the evil vines still had the original Kaianda's soul and just kept it lying around for a while and created an exact duplicate of her out of vines and then put her soul into it and the mongrelfolk dude has nothing to do with anything.

That would be really stupid, so that's probably the answer. Or it's something even stupider.

You forgot the most likely explanation: he completely forgot about the details of his own story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Soul" is not always synonymous with "self" in fiction or in certain religious traditions.