Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1573251244638236672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you're a fan of accelerationism I guess today must be your best day yet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh come on

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
lol

https://twitter.com/KumarAshwin/status/1573257087307612161?s=20&t=zafQ-WG5OCwGKu2sAcFmpg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still struggling valiantly against dogecoin

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

This is gonna be the Barber Boom again except much loving stupider. I honestly cannot get over how incredibly moronic this is.

Rishi is a oval office who probably actually believes exactly the same things, but at least he had a tiny amount of sense and foresight. These cunts are just diving head first off the cliff, screaming about 'supply side' and 'unleashing investment' all the way down to the loving jagged rocks below.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

I cannot articulate how loving stupid this whole circus of cunts is.

I probably could, but I would need a paddling pool full of poo poo and several large phallic objects.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chinese Gordon posted:

These cunts are just diving head first off the cliff, screaming about 'supply side' and 'unleashing investment' all the way down to the loving jagged rocks below.

they're not going to see any negative consequences personally, are they

it's more like shoving people off the cliff

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they're not going to see any negative consequences personally, are they

it's more like shoving people off the cliff

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Chinese Gordon posted:

This is gonna be the Barber Boom again except much loving stupider. I honestly cannot get over how incredibly moronic this is.

Rishi is a oval office who probably actually believes exactly the same things, but at least he had a tiny amount of sense and foresight. These cunts are just diving head first off the cliff, screaming about 'supply side' and 'unleashing investment' all the way down to the loving jagged rocks below.

The funny thing about comparing it to the Barber Boom is that it was already driving inflation before the oil crisis made it even worse. This government had forwarning of the fossil fuel crisis as it is currently happening but is still ploughing ahead with their massively inflationary policies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't believe we're at such a low point in our

little hell-bubble (this was recommended to me by my phone's keyboard just now, even though I've literally never used the phrase before in my life)

...that I wish Boris was still pm

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Will Labour whip to abstain, that's the question.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

josh04 posted:

Will Labour whip to abstain, that's the question.

Mate, the Fringe ended nearly a month ago.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Samael posted:

You kind have to feign annoyance and anger at them but fair play, I'm not going to stop them and police never come out for shoplifting anyway.
Hell same. There are a number of people at our local co-op who are 'banned' after regularly bilking an entire basket, but most staff even if they see that person, they just go tell the manager and the manager calls the police who log it and then do gently caress all.

I think some of them at least rotate the shops they do it in, but there's one guy who literally lives in the flats above and does it every week.

This is probably an autism thing but I've always been jarred by the disparity between job interviews for retail where they always make it absolutely clear you're not to intervene at all, and the actual practice where the manager bollocks you if people start walking out with stuff on your shift. gently caress that poo poo, they can get a security guard if it bothers them that much.

Some 18 year old twat was boasting about chasing a shoplifter across the car park the other day, trying to impress the new girl disinterestedly stacking shelves next to him. Knob.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Some 18 year old twat was boasting about chasing a shoplifter across the car park the other day, trying to impress the new girl disinterestedly stacking shelves next to him. Knob.

Did he actually catch the shoplifter?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Is there any precedent for the government and the bank of England to be working against each other? If the government cuts taxes to boost growth at the cost of higher inflation, then the bank raises interest rates to cut inflation at the cost of lower growth, do we just keep going in circles until something breaks?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Did he actually catch the shoplifter?
He claims he did, and shouted at them until they handed over the butter they stole. Pathetic wanker.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hell same. There are a number of people at our local co-op who are 'banned' after regularly bilking an entire basket, but most staff even if they see that person, they just go tell the manager and the manager calls the police who log it and then do gently caress all.

Presumably it's for insurance reasons. Also I bet if the stock goes wildly out of what the head office is going to demand an explanation as to why you're losing whiskey by the gallon.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Is there any precedent for the government and the bank of England to be working against each other? If the government cuts taxes to boost growth at the cost of higher inflation, then the bank raises interest rates to cut inflation at the cost of lower growth, do we just keep going in circles until something breaks?

Presumably the Tories will undo the independence of the bank and the power to set interest rates will revert back to the chancellor. This will obviously make the pound crash even further.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Presumably the Tories will undo the independence of the bank and the power to set interest rates will revert back to the chancellor. This will obviously make the pound crash even further.

This is very good if you keep your money in USD or gold or whatever Jacob Rees Mogg has that isn't GBP

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He claims he did, and shouted at them until they handed over the butter they stole. Pathetic wanker.

lol bet he loving didn't and just made it up after the fact

a pipe smoking dog posted:

love to live in a real country

forkboy84 posted:

This is very good if you keep your money in USD or gold or whatever Jacob Rees Mogg has that isn't GBP

Wonder if I should start getting into forex on the basis that the UK will keep making GBS threads the pound through its fingers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

lol bet he loving didn't and just made it up after the fact

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There was a case in the US a few years back where a shoplifter ran outside of the shop with some crap, the minimum wage employee ran out after him and fatally shot him in the back and called the police, who then charged him with murder. His heroic moment, all that daydreaming, came to that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1573275219606790144?s=46&t=CC8Z0QvRYYsNnhpL9gmUAw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone asked liz whether that is a disgrace or not?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
No, you see, this is good for Britannia. Think how much our cheese and pork exports will go up!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The pound is down signficantly against the ruble, demonstrating our place against a country most others on earth are currently sanctioning.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Can people clarify the VAT thing? Does this mean someone with an Irish passport can go into the shops and pay 17% less than their neighbors, despite being permanent residents of the UK?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
As you probably haven't noticed, I haven't posted in here for a while. I was super busy with work and I missed the change from one month's thread to the next and never picked it up again - and realised that I was a bit happier for it. This is a UK politics thread, and UK politics are so loving depressing that a thread talking about all the poo poo that is happening, even if often with humour, is still loving depressing. I have a decent sense of what is happening (and why) that I don't need to read more about people bemoaning how terrible everything is. I completely understand that people might feel the need to vent, and that there is a sense of solidarity and community, but those things didn't outweigh the effect it had on me.

I have been thinking about how much traffic there'd be here with Truss and the Queen dying - I am sure it went a bit crazy. (TBH the volume of posts here is also slightly off-putting. There is just too much to stay current with). Anyway, thanks for the many thoughtful responses I received to various questions. This thread can be harsh if it perceives (rightly or wrongly) people acting in bad faith but the responses to genuine questions is great.

This thread (or previous incarnations thereof) did teach me a number of lessons about politics - opened my eyes in some ways, if you will. The first was cementing a general moveto the left that I had been going on. The second was reevaluating Corbyn, Labour and anti-semitism, and understanding just how much that had been skewed and weaponised. The third is Israel. I agree broadly with what most people here think and feel about politics and the world. Israel was something where there was a pretty consistent view, which differed from mine. I thought that if all ya'll were generally right about things, and this is what your views on Israel were, then it is worth reexamining mine. Again, I had been moving in that direction, and had experience of seeing what happens to people who criticise Israel even in good faith (namely Richard Goldstone), so I was open to alternative views, but they were provided. I think I have also started to see how very deeply conditioned to be pro-Israel most Jews are, certainly in the diaspora.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The BBC just had some loving mouthpiece for the Institute for Economic Affairs, talking about supply side benefits to the tax cuts.

The IEA are amongst the most right wing fuckers to have ever drawn breath, they think everything should be privatised and that the invisible hand of the market should control everything.

Why the gently caress should anyone listen to anything they have to say, what a joke.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped :hmmyes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

Anyone on the major benefits - such as universal credit - should expect a rise in what they receive, owing to the link to inflation. However, that will not come until April. Many charities have called for that rise to come earlier.

Mr Kwarteng instead concentrated on a plan to cut benefits for those who do not adequately search for work.

He said that would mean 120,000 more people on universal credit "take active steps to seek more and better-paid work, or face having their benefits reduced".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63001463

:stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Scientastic posted:

The BBC just had some loving mouthpiece for the Institute for Economic Affairs, talking about supply side benefits to the tax cuts.

The IEA are amongst the most right wing fuckers to have ever drawn breath, they think everything should be privatised and that the invisible hand of the market should control everything.

Why the gently caress should anyone listen to anything they have to say, what a joke.

Because they run the loving country, sadly.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/GordonBrown/status/1573255085366382593

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

therattle posted:

As you probably haven't noticed, I haven't posted in here for a while. I was super busy with work and I missed the change from one month's thread to the next and never picked it up again - and realised that I was a bit happier for it. This is a UK politics thread, and UK politics are so loving depressing that a thread talking about all the poo poo that is happening, even if often with humour, is still loving depressing. I have a decent sense of what is happening (and why) that I don't need to read more about people bemoaning how terrible everything is. I completely understand that people might feel the need to vent, and that there is a sense of solidarity and community, but those things didn't outweigh the effect it had on me.

I have been thinking about how much traffic there'd be here with Truss and the Queen dying - I am sure it went a bit crazy. (TBH the volume of posts here is also slightly off-putting. There is just too much to stay current with). Anyway, thanks for the many thoughtful responses I received to various questions. This thread can be harsh if it perceives (rightly or wrongly) people acting in bad faith but the responses to genuine questions is great.

This thread (or previous incarnations thereof) did teach me a number of lessons about politics - opened my eyes in some ways, if you will. The first was cementing a general moveto the left that I had been going on. The second was reevaluating Corbyn, Labour and anti-semitism, and understanding just how much that had been skewed and weaponised. The third is Israel. I agree broadly with what most people here think and feel about politics and the world. Israel was something where there was a pretty consistent view, which differed from mine. I thought that if all ya'll were generally right about things, and this is what your views on Israel were, then it is worth reexamining mine. Again, I had been moving in that direction, and had experience of seeing what happens to people who criticise Israel even in good faith (namely Richard Goldstone), so I was open to alternative views, but they were provided. I think I have also started to see how very deeply conditioned to be pro-Israel most Jews are, certainly in the diaspora.

A good post. And it’s always good to see someone else bought around by the discourse in this thread- ten or eleven years back it did the same for me (though on different topics.. god I was a right wing libertarian poo poo back then)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Samael posted:

Shoplifting in general has probably increased tenfold over the last six months where I work, it's a sign of things to come.
Working on the queen's funeral and two guys in their 20s walked in, took a basket and helped themselves to several cases of dairy milk chocolate and ran away. You kind have to feign annoyance and anger at them but fair play, I'm not going to stop them and police never come out for shoplifting anyway.

Yeah, I was down at Sainsbury's early morning and saw a nicely dressed lady strolling out through the self-scan with a couple of those weetabix drinks bottles, and soon after a girl carrying something I didn't see. Foraging for breakfast I guess?

Can't say I give a poo poo; if supermarkets want to get rid of cashiers to save money then they can take the shrinkage in stride.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

therattle posted:

Yeah I don't blame you for taking some time out of here. The UK is a horrible thing and keeping it out of sight and out of mind can do wonders for the brain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the only good prime minister of my lifetime

and that's not very high praise

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You can tell that this is a deeply unpopular and on the nose budget because even the daily mail comments section is full of nothing but absolute scorn for it. Even people who vote repeatedly against their own self interest are asking why were just giving billionaires an extra 45 billion a year when pensioners are going to not afford to heat their homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, I was down at Sainsbury's early morning and saw a nicely dressed lady strolling out through the self-scan with a couple of those weetabix drinks bottles, and soon after a girl carrying something I didn't see. Foraging for breakfast I guess?

Can't say I give a poo poo; if supermarkets want to get rid of cashiers to save money then they can take the shrinkage in stride.

:agreed:

i loving hate having to scan my shopping and i like having a checkout chitchat about the weather or how busy or not busy the shop is or that