Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

I have never seen Phil Foglio in the flesh but, somehow, he is precisely how I imagined he would be

it's wild to me that "the guy who drew the extremely horny comic strip in Dragon magazine" is both still alive and working

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tap now, pay later.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

add 2 taps to your tap pool. I love it!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This must require the thing using the Tap to be untapped, otherwise this just goes infinite to make infinite taps

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Devor posted:

This must require the thing using the Tap to be untapped, otherwise this just goes infinite to make infinite taps

Only once each turn. You could go infinite with two of these anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Devor posted:

Did you miss the "once per turn"?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E:

YggdrasilTM posted:

Only once each turn. You could go infinite with two of these anyway.

You could?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Each of the two can only activate once. Please

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

E:

You could?

If you could activate them more than once, the hypothetical "must be untapped" clause would not be enough. You could tap the first one and do an infinite loop with the second one.

Since it's once per turn, there are no problems.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Simply Simon posted:

Did you miss the "once per turn"?

Yep

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly that's one that I do feel like could be a black border card if it was just worded differently. Something like...

T: You may activate an ability of a permanent that has T in the activation cost without tapping that permanent two times this turn (You may choose a different permanent for the second activation). (This ability may only be activated once each turn.)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Framboise posted:

Honestly that's one that I do feel like could be a black border card if it was just worded differently. Something like...

T: You may activate an ability of a permanent that has T in the activation cost without tapping that permanent two times this turn (You may choose a different permanent for the second activation). (This ability may only be activated once each turn.)

I think this is one of those cases like animate dead where the printed version is incredibly easy to understand and cleaner even if it doesn't really quite work under magic rules

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a few like that, where the effect could work under the rules but it's acorn because there was a funnier way of writing it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Question for the rules folks, how do poxwalkers and cabal therapy work? Does the spell cost get locked in (sacrifice), then poxwalkers is sacced and the spell is cast so poxwalkers can come back?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe costs must be paid and complete before thebspell is cast so I believe so.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Question for the rules folks, how do poxwalkers and cabal therapy work? Does the spell cost get locked in (sacrifice), then poxwalkers is sacced and the spell is cast so poxwalkers can come back?

quote:

601.2h The player pays the total cost. First, they pay all costs that don’t involve random elements or moving objects from the library to a public zone, in any order. Then they pay all remaining costs in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.
Example: You cast Altar’s Reap, which costs {1}{B} and has an additional cost of sacrificing a creature. You sacrifice Thunderscape Familiar, whose effect makes your black spells cost {1} less to cast. Because a spell’s total cost is “locked in” before payments are actually made, you pay {B}, not {1}{B}, even though you’re sacrificing the Familiar.

601.2i Once the steps described in 601.2a–h are completed, effects that modify the characteristics of the spell as it’s cast are applied, then the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell’s controller had priority before casting it, they get priority.
Triggers don't trigger until after you do the steps. One of those steps is paying the cost (IE: Putting poxwalkers in the graveyard) which means poxwalkers will be in the GY and see you cast a spell, bringing itself back.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Excellent, thank you

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

How on earth is that card not named 'Tap Dancer'

(yes yes, sole -> shoe -> feet -> tap, but still)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The World Inferno posted:

Sometimes you gotta work for a joke.

I'm just glad that they didn't make another un-card that required players to take their shoes off, because that was deeply unpleasant the last time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's a competitive CEDH deck that probably wants this lol. Magda runs a bunch of lovely vehicles to tap dwarves, and a free one seems like it might be really strong.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow that art nails the Zapp Brannigan energy.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tbh I don't really love Rex's design from a flavor perspective as a presumed Zapp Brannigan pastiche because:

a. the crashing is what makes him interesting and a 1/6 chance to crash (absent Night Shift or similar dice manipulation) is fairly infrequent
b. by default he can't ever crash really big things when it seems those are exactly the things he should crash
c. while he has the appropriate power to crew whatever he turns into a vehicle it's doesn't need to be him piloting and potentially crashing things

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LGD posted:

tbh I don't really love Rex's design from a flavor perspective as a presumed Zapp Brannigan pastiche because:

a. the crashing is what makes him interesting and a 1/6 chance to crash (absent Night Shift or similar dice manipulation) is fairly infrequent
b. by default he can't ever crash really big things when it seems those are exactly the things he should crash
c. while he has the appropriate power to crew whatever he turns into a vehicle it's doesn't need to be him piloting and potentially crashing things

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LGD posted:

Yeah but REX HIMSELF can be crewed as a vehicle, so in the end it all works out.

lmaoooo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think it's supposed to be a pastiche of Zapp Brannigan, they're both pastiches of the same machismo action captain.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

"She's built like a Basalt Monolith but handles like a moxen!"

Eikre
May 2, 2009

fadam posted:

There's a competitive CEDH deck that probably wants this lol. Magda runs a bunch of lovely vehicles to tap dwarves, and a free one seems like it might be really strong.

It wouldn't be completely shocking if a Cheerios deck materialized one day and slotted it. It gives you value for your cost reduction but it still sticks to the field if you play it for 0. Usually things that do the former are just 0/0s when you try the latter.

Of course, Cheerios is a Storm deck and probably doesn't give too much of a poo poo about some tokens. But I'm pretty sure this would all be contingent on some other unforseen enablers being printed for the deck to make the cut in Legacy, so who loving knows. Is Sram anywhere near the viability threshold in CEDH?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does your tap pool empty out like your mana pool or is it like energy

On this note, I wonder how they're localizing "Attempted Murder" and if that pun works in any other languages

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Might come out of mtg retirement just to build a commander deck that is Ghyrson Starn + mana barbs + burning earth because I hate people

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so with the persistent tokens guy i can fart out a billion tokens then cast something like worldpurge or aetherspouts and get the world's first recorded battle of wits edh win

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

because 5 years ago someone already had that idea

https://www.reddit.com/r/custommagi...tent=t1_iplfx12

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does your tap pool empty out like your mana pool or is it like energy

On this note, I wonder how they're localizing "Attempted Murder" and if that pun works in any other languages

theyre not, this set is english only

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Arrest

now your board is dead

edit: auras you control...nvm...still can be hit with -1/-1 counters to wipe your board

President Ark posted:

this card combined with the WU lady who makes tokens cards means you can wind up in situations where you have to shuffle your phone into your deck

also with Exit Through The Grift Shop and that WU lady you can auction off your phone

has there ever been a card that copies a creature and all its counters/auras/equipment too?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The thing I would love to do with the persistent tokens guy is give them to my opponent. Then make a living weapon go in and out of their battlefield a thousand times. Then restart the game with something like karn ult.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

theyre not, this set is english only

How many languages are just regular sets released in, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Arrest

now your board is dead

Colossus Hammer lmao