Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

Designers don't get to unilaterally decide whether there's a login required to interact with a system.
you've never been on a project early enough???? wow, alright, that's okay, but it's hardly something to brag about in a scenario like this. you could learn something.

Foxfire_ posted:

"Can we change our online-only game to not require an account?" is not a useful question for a UI designer to be asking or making mockups for, especially at the point where you are hashing out the details of a screen.
again, some stunning ignorance of how projects can be run outside of someone's personal domain is being dressed up as "serious business experience" lol. this is a farce, they should absolutely be questioning the account login nerd poo poo that's being presented

it's a useful assignment, folks are projecting onto it and just going hog wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
a lovely web game for a class? wow, how are you going to ship that without a *checks notes* extensive EULA

flappy bird's EULA was one for the ages, truely a classic in the genre, that's why it made such a splash right?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Who should be deciding what the user-facing authentication flow is if not designers?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mullvad's is still the greatest onboarding process ever (for a paid service):

https://mullvad.net/en/account/#/create/

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
This depends a lot on how the task was presented. Given an example that includes a login, I'm not surprised that most students make the implicit assumption that it's a requirement. The best answer might actually be to request more information.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JawnV6 posted:

you've never been on a project early enough???? wow, alright, that's okay, but it's hardly something to brag about in a scenario like this. you could learn something.

again, some stunning ignorance of how projects can be run outside of someone's personal domain is being dressed up as "serious business experience" lol. this is a farce, they should absolutely be questioning the account login nerd poo poo that's being presented

it's a useful assignment, folks are projecting onto it and just going hog wild

Assuming that you're able to just change a project that has already started and been brought into is certainly a possibility.

Alternate possibility: "uh, no, we kind of need this actually since people need to log in to play World Of Dumb Slapfights or whatever we're calling it this week. Can you please just make it not idiot programmer art and a weird workflow?"

I get it, design is important, but students also need to make assumptions like "the instructor asked us to work on this so I guess we should work on it?" if they want to keep the GPA their scholarship is riding on. Maybe there was a sense of ~~~OwNeRsHiP~~~ present in the assignment but that definitely wasn't communicated. Especially since we're just coming off the "the junior dev threw away a perfectly good and useful piece of equipment for bespoke garbage that's broken and now I have to deal with it" chat.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 21, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Someone taking a UI class presumably is learning to be entry level to start with, they're not necessarily going to be expected to ask big brain questions about the very premise of the product they'll be working on, although sometimes that would be useful - however, focusing on actually dealing with the task at hand instead of second-guessing it is also a useful skill, and is probably more consistent with the vast majority of work of even higher level UI designers.

But regardless of all that, I want to iterate that if I wanted my students to ask these questions, and 100% of the time they ended up not doing that, I would, with respect, question the curriculum leading up to that point, or the formulation of the problem I've given them, before making fun of them.

e: fb

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
see, that's more along the lines of the silly quibble I wanted to throw in here, I'd call that level of changing expectations UX instead of UI, then the nerd brigade strolled in assuming they'd baked a super cool login system that's getting chucked out by the designer a non-coder

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I see and know the value of onboarding new users smoothly, but calling it the nerd brigade isn't helping here. This sounds more like someone has studied a UX flow on mobile devices or Steam where there is already an identity system in place and, seeing no login, just assumed everything was doable without a login.

It's a generalized question with a gotcha answer based in no concrete reality or expectation. YourThis teaching method is poo poo.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 21, 2022

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
learning that UI goes beyond polishing corners is fine, actually

appreciating disciplines outside of coding is fine, actually

being a nerd in the nerd brigade is fine, actually

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JawnV6 posted:

learning that UI goes beyond polishing corners is fine, actually

appreciating disciplines outside of coding is fine, actually

being a nerd in the nerd brigade is fine, actually

Responding to what people actually said is even better!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if 100% of students get a question wrong, it means they weren't taught the subject matter they were being tested on. simple as that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Responding to what people actually said is even better!

i agree, you're the one who injected the word "wrong" to describe the assignment when the UI teacher never used that word and it derailed the entire conversation. would you care to walk that one back and explain to folks like cheetah here why reading what folks actually said is even better?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Volte posted:

Who should be deciding what the user-facing authentication flow is if not designers?

Design, product and engineering should all have inputs into how it works.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JawnV6 posted:

i agree, you're the one who injected the word "wrong" to describe the assignment when the UI teacher never used that word and it derailed the entire conversation. would you care to walk that one back and explain to folks like cheetah here why reading what folks actually said is even better?

No, because this is what I was responding to (Bolding mine):

lord funk posted:

:nods:

I teach a UI design class, and one of the tasks I give students is to make a good game startup experience. I show them a game where it starts with an account login / creation page, then some menus, etc., and they have to do better.

100% of them come back with a basic variation on that, just with prettier graphics. None of them realize the answer was to not have the account login screen at all.

Please explain how this response (bolding mine):

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I would also suggest that if 100% of your students get the answer to your question wrong, it might be a problem with the curriculum leading up to the question, or the question itself, not the students.

is an "injection" of the word "wrong".

My position is that this is a legitimate restatement of what OP said, and didn't derail anything.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My position is that this is a legitimate restatement of what OP said, and didn't derail anything.

well if you're this hepped up on bad faith there's little i can do to assist things, but here we go

the fact that there's a better answer available doesn't make the submitted assignments "wrong" or earn them a failing grade, as we can see your callous and careless assignation of "wrong" caused folks to assume that was the case. it's an entirely legit pedagogical approach to getting UI/UX folks to take that step back and realize that their domain is broader than taking whatever engineering chucked over the fence and said implement.

im also taking lord funk to be a good educator, and isn't gleefully handing out failing grades to 100% of the students semester after semester and this "task" (note: not assignment!) is serving the goals of the course. but you could be right, he could be doing the same thing repeatedly and weeping when nobody figures it out, marking down students on a gotcha question and regaling us with the story about how they're a lovely teacher with zero pattern recognition. personally, that second one seems more of an affront than anything ive said here, but you do you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in either case (poor teaching or teaching method where you expect most people to not figure it out), coming onto the internet to shake your head ruefully about how nobody did it right feels like a bad thing to do (and is fairly inconsistent with the idea that they expected people to not figure out what they wanted)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JawnV6 posted:

well if you're this hepped up on bad faith there's little i can do to assist things, but here we go
:ironicat:

quote:

the fact that there's a better answer available doesn't make the submitted assignments "wrong" or earn them a failing grade, as we can see your callous and careless assignation of "wrong" caused folks to assume that was the case. it's an entirely legit pedagogical approach to getting UI/UX folks to take that step back and realize that their domain is broader than taking whatever engineering chucked over the fence and said implement.
lord funk said "the answer", not "a better answer" or "what I was hoping" or whatever it is you're injecting into it.

quote:

im also taking lord funk to be a good educator, and isn't gleefully handing out failing grades to 100% of the students semester after semester and this "task" (note: not assignment!) is serving the goals of the course. but you could be right, he could be doing the same thing repeatedly and weeping when nobody figures it out, marking down students on a gotcha question and regaling us with the story about how they're a lovely teacher with zero pattern recognition. personally, that second one seems more of an affront than anything ive said here, but you do you
If lord funk is a good educator I hope they'll accept this critique in the spirit that it was given and improve their course accordingly, or at least what's easily read as a destructive attitude towards it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oh yeah breaking quotes up and inlining a bunch of poo poo, hallmark of good faith debate that it is,

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JawnV6 posted:

oh yeah breaking quotes up and inlining a bunch of poo poo, hallmark of good faith debate that it is,

You have my permission to stop posting and just assume that you've won the debate, if it will end this tedious derail.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I have two thoughts on this. One is that "improve this basic UI design" is a prompt without enough context to meaningfully do anything other than turd-polishing -- you cannot reasonably assume that the "correct" solution to the prompt is "get rid of the login system" if the original design has a login system, because a trick answer like "the login system is now the problem of the launcher team instead of the game client team" is a much more complicated thing to do for everyone involved and really isn't something you want to do as a sweeping change -- you plan that from the start.

The other is that the idea of "no menus, jump straight into the gameplay" is one of the more annoying bits of modern game dev UX fuckery because every game on the planet has incredibly loud sound defaults and I don't want to sit through a whole cutscene and tutorial zone with my headphones on my shoulders to prevent every loud noise from perforating my eardrums. Launch game for the first time, fiddle with settings, then start playing.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I do really like the idea but wonder if it would be better as a question asked in lecture with a humorous response when students inevitably fail it, instead of as part of a graded assignment

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

end of the day, the "let's get rid of the login screen" example started with not enough info to determine whether getting rid of the login screen is even feasible. this bullshit is frankly making me sad

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

On the front end, someone in UI/UX might have a brilliant idea that gets rid of the login screen, but they have to collaborate with the backend people who care about infosec vulnerabilities and poo poo. This conversation has turned loving ridiculous. But it's mostly JawnV6's fault, because as much as he wants to pretend he has the most open mind, he's taking everything everyone else says in the worst faith possible. Jesus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If none of the students arrive at the answer the teacher expects, then that is the teacher's failure, not the students'.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DaTroof posted:

end of the day, the "let's get rid of the login screen" example started with not enough info to determine whether getting rid of the login screen is even feasible. this bullshit is frankly making me sad

I've heard in a youtube video, which is my extend of game design knowledge, that time to play is important and should also be short. Maybe this is the concept the students were meant to ... pick up on their own? I don't know it's all conjecture.

but crucially:

QuarkJets posted:

If none of the students arrive at the answer the teacher expects, then that is the teacher's failure, not the students'.

my personal horror of today: Entity Framework Core creating migrations with nothing in them, and when run in verbose mode tells me nothing about why the migration is empty. I hate EF so so much.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My experience with teaching undergrads is that if you want them to go with answers like "let me just cut out these login screens" on their own, you need to go absurdly over the top. Have a screen that asks them to create a local account. Then pop up a screen that forces them to create a publisher account. Then pop up a screen for creating an online play account. Then make them select a name for the character. And so on :v:

Or make it super duper clear that the game is single player, offline only, so online accounts are stupid.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

My experience with teaching undergrads is that if you want them to go with answers like "let me just cut out these login screens" on their own, you need to go absurdly over the top. Have a screen that asks them to create a local account. Then pop up a screen that forces them to create a publisher account. Then pop up a screen for creating an online play account. Then make them select a name for the character. And so on :v:

Or make it super duper clear that the game is single player, offline only, so online accounts are stupid.

If this is your learning goal just put it on a slide, then explain why it's on there.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Spent half the afternoon tracking down a failure in a new deployment of an app (an engineering tool, not a customer-facing app) to a new version of a JS dependency. Well, should be no problem, right? Just stop it from pulling in the new version.

The person who originally created the app intended its dependencies to be maintained (or whatever is the term) using "yarn". They apparently took steps to pin dependency versions in the way "yarn" wants you to do things. Then someone later came along and added an automated deployment process using "npm" and something called "react-scripts". This thing is pulling in the latest version of the dependency despite the fact that there's an entry in "packages.json" telling it to use a specific version. Ok, internet says I need to take "package-lock.json", amend the version of the dependency and change the name to "npm-shrinkwrap.json", and it will use that exact version. Nope, somewhere along the way the deployment process overwrites "npm-shrinkwrap.json" and carries on using the latest version of the dependency. Look all over to figure out what it's doing, all I can find is that it is running "npm install", which Stack Overflow assures me respects "npm-shrinkwrap.json".

There's a command in npm, "npm explain", which is supposed to tell you why it's pulling in a particular version of a dependency, but it's only available in a later version than what's installed on the build server. and considering how loving flaky all these tools are I have no doubt that if I try to update the version on the build server I'll break everything for all the teams using it and get half a dozen people mad at me.

I do .NET languages, I shouldn't have to mess around with this stupid Javascript horseshit in the first place. Feeling about ready to do violence here.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hammerite posted:

Spent half the afternoon tracking down a failure in a new deployment of an app (an engineering tool, not a customer-facing app) to a new version of a JS dependency. Well, should be no problem, right? Just stop it from pulling in the new version.

The person who originally created the app intended its dependencies to be maintained (or whatever is the term) using "yarn". They apparently took steps to pin dependency versions in the way "yarn" wants you to do things. Then someone later came along and added an automated deployment process using "npm" and something called "react-scripts". This thing is pulling in the latest version of the dependency despite the fact that there's an entry in "packages.json" telling it to use a specific version. Ok, internet says I need to take "package-lock.json", amend the version of the dependency and change the name to "npm-shrinkwrap.json", and it will use that exact version. Nope, somewhere along the way the deployment process overwrites "npm-shrinkwrap.json" and carries on using the latest version of the dependency. Look all over to figure out what it's doing, all I can find is that it is running "npm install", which Stack Overflow assures me respects "npm-shrinkwrap.json".

There's a command in npm, "npm explain", which is supposed to tell you why it's pulling in a particular version of a dependency, but it's only available in a later version than what's installed on the build server. and considering how loving flaky all these tools are I have no doubt that if I try to update the version on the build server I'll break everything for all the teams using it and get half a dozen people mad at me.

I do .NET languages, I shouldn't have to mess around with this stupid Javascript horseshit in the first place. Feeling about ready to do violence here.

it's job security for web developers. i've seen enough projects that only work if they use the one specific version of node.js that doesn't crash if you try to use a certain minifier etc. it's pretty dumb.

granted everyone who works in .net (at least back in my days as a .net developer) has googled something along the lines of "how do I get projects that use different versions of newtonsoft json to work together?" and learned a whole bunch of bullshit about binding redirects.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
This may not be a complete solution because it sounds like fucky things are going on, but you want to use npm ci instead of npm install. npm install does completely insane things, while npm ci does a much more straightforward "install the versions the package says to install".

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

granted everyone who works in .net (at least back in my days as a .net developer) has googled something along the lines of "how do I get projects that use different versions of newtonsoft json to work together?" and learned a whole bunch of bullshit about binding redirects.

Microsoft adding JSON support to the BCL has been an absolute godsend for this, and I don't even mind that they're taking their time to get to feature parity so they can do it right. Now, let me just make sure that there's nothing external blocking me from upgrading this project to a framework that includes System.Text.Json...oh...oh no

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Hammerite posted:

The person who originally created the app intended its dependencies to be maintained (or whatever is the term) using "yarn". They apparently took steps to pin dependency versions in the way "yarn" wants you to do things. Then someone later came along and added an automated deployment process using "npm" and something called "react-scripts".

Okay, this is a major problem right here. I'm not trying to defend the hosed-up JavaScript ecosystem, but even if you're stuck in that hosed-up ecosystem, you can't just switch between npm and yarn all willy nilly and poo poo. Somebody hosed up

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

raminasi posted:

Microsoft adding JSON support to the BCL has been an absolute godsend for this, and I don't even mind that they're taking their time to get to feature parity so they can do it right. Now, let me just make sure that there's nothing external blocking me from upgrading this project to a framework that includes System.Text.Json...oh...oh no

More like "make sure you're not de/serializing anything but the simplest, most primitive POCOs".

One of Newtonsoft.Json's strengths is that it has a veritable Swiss Army Knife of option to control your serialization process, at pretty much any level of granularity you want - attributes, converters, contracts, you name it - and I don't think STJ will ever achieve 1:1 compatibility.

However, for greenfield stuff, STJ all the way.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I put it back to using Yarn and it's working now. Rage has subsided, the solemn intent to destroy all JavaScript has not.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

NihilCredo posted:

More like "make sure you're not de/serializing anything but the simplest, most primitive POCOs".

One of Newtonsoft.Json's strengths is that it has a veritable Swiss Army Knife of option to control your serialization process, at pretty much any level of granularity you want - attributes, converters, contracts, you name it - and I don't think STJ will ever achieve 1:1 compatibility.

However, for greenfield stuff, STJ all the way.
Swiss Army Knife serializers seem to be a pretty good recipe for security holes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SupSuper posted:

Swiss Army Knife serializers seem to be a pretty good recipe for security holes.

On the other hand. having to wrote one more line of code than theoretically necessary to parse json is a tragedy, so

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hammerite posted:

I put it back to using Yarn and it's working now. Rage has subsided, the solemn intent to destroy all JavaScript has not.

I'm going to get a "gently caress javascript" tattoo somewhere just to make the interview process easier.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

SupSuper posted:

Isn't it probably better than writing your own? Like presumably the big libraries are going to be more familiar with the edge cases/etc. They're certainly bigger targets but like, I don't trust myself to know JSON deserialization security better than any of the big libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jabor posted:

You have my permission to stop posting
lmao are you loving serious?

im sorry this thread can't imagine a question that doesn't have a binary RIGHT/WRONG answer especially in a UI space, it's a severe limitation to carry out there as someone working with other humans and i sincerely hope this is just trolling me at this point