Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sundae posted:

My brother used to bring the home sometimes in his bag.
drat, how big was his bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I love this insane comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 16, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yes. It Got Even Stupider. Thanks For Asking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Yes. It Got Even Stupider. Thanks For Asking.

If it's where a punchline should be it's a joke, right?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 25-July 1, 1984)

Bullwinkle

Here's a comic trivia involving JFK: in the early 1960s a strip was offered to newspapers featuring JFK's daughter, called "Miss Caroline". It was originally released as a paperback book before a syndicated version got offered.

This comic is infamous for spectacular bad timing. The newspaper version came out on November 4, 1963. Less than 3 weeks later, JFK was assassinated. The strip was immediately pulled after that. As a result, I think "Miss Caroline" holds the record for the shortest-run syndicated comic.

FWIW, you can buy a complete run of the comic on Amazon, containing cartoons from the paperback, plus additional cartoons created for its brief newspaper run.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Good gag, but the art is like the Close to Home of flat tyres.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Heavy Metal posted:

My favs as a kid were Foxtrot and Calvin and Hobbes, the only ones I read most collected books of there. Haven't read a strip in a long long time. Other than the several page serialized stuff, like Blueberry in the OP.

Well, I hope I've been doing an acceptable translation, especially if you've read the ACTUAL English translation of Blueberry!

Also, wow Maryls is a real kicker in the emotional kidneys.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't even realize Blueberry was translated. Which probably means: yes. Is it in spanish originally?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

My spirit animal.

:allears:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 31, 1953)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Poil posted:

I didn't even realize Blueberry was translated. Which probably means: yes. Is it in spanish originally?

French, it's from Belgium. Of course, the translation I have is in Swedish...

Though, I'll take your surprise at it not being translated as quite the compliment!

Also, oh my GOD I love Ballard Street.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

The first one is just so intensely ugly

The last one...this is just Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/21-22/02

Brenda Starr 7/4-6/49

Smokey Stover 4/2/50

Everyday Movies 8/6/35

"I wish I looked sick like Lily so they'd send me away to the country too."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

Well, I hope I've been doing an acceptable translation, especially if you've read the ACTUAL English translation of Blueberry!
Absolutely, and I unironically want to hear the linguistic process behind Jim referring to Kelly as 'twat features' last update.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

The stupid, brainless, ignorant, hypocritical, selfish children egotistically think that their thoughtless and inconvenient antics have garnered them positive attention, when in fact they have aroused the very-justified suspicion of The Authorities, and they will soon experience justified consequences for their actions.
Lynn Johnston nods with grave countenance and takes a sip from her coffee cup. Outside, barely-audible above the howling of the blizzard, her toddler scrabbles desperately at the door.
Yes, the justified consequences.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

The first one is just so intensely ugly

The last one...this is just Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

It's very Ren & Stimpy/Kricfalusi in style, but trying too hard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This exceptionally early version of "Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone fishing" seems oddly plausible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

:dudsmile:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

manero posted:

It's very Ren & Stimpy/Kricfalusi in style, but trying too hard.
To me it seems more like an attempt to copy the later Penny Arcade style (which was in turn aping Kricfalusi in its super-grotesquery), but with the writing and humour of CAD.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Drakyn posted:

Absolutely, and I unironically want to hear the linguistic process behind Jim referring to Kelly as 'twat features' last update.

Oh... The translation often uses very basic and PG-13 terms, which I felt was a bit out of step with the feel of the comic (especially since there is the occasional use of English in the original comic which happily uses the term 'gently caress you').

Seeing as Jim has a bit of Irish heritage, I decided chucking in a phrase more common from the British Isles was apropos. I can't recall what the word used originally was, but it was probably closer to 'villain' or 'blackguard'. MAYBE as far as bastard.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Beeg posted:

Here's a comic trivia involving JFK: in the early 1960s a strip was offered to newspapers featuring JFK's daughter, called "Miss Caroline". It was originally released as a paperback book before a syndicated version got offered.

Very cute, and a shame it had to be Vaughn Meadered down the memory hole.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 29, 1934)

Peanuts (September 26, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean was quarantined again for bad storytelling, so moving on to Crankshaft...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 25, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 30-December 2, 1939)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave holy poo poo this is the best

Heart of the City

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

Oh... The translation often uses very basic and PG-13 terms, which I felt was a bit out of step with the feel of the comic (especially since there is the occasional use of English in the original comic which happily uses the term 'gently caress you').

Seeing as Jim has a bit of Irish heritage, I decided chucking in a phrase more common from the British Isles was apropos. I can't recall what the word used originally was, but it was probably closer to 'villain' or 'blackguard'. MAYBE as far as bastard.
:waycool:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Mutts

A Nancy cameo is one thing, but Reggie Van Dough?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

What does that phrase "Niggly as an all black front row". It sounds racist, but I can't parse it.

Mister Beeg posted:

This comic is infamous for spectacular bad timing. The newspaper version came out on November 4, 1963. Less than 3 weeks later, JFK was assassinated. The strip was immediately pulled after that. As a result, I think "Miss Caroline" holds the record for the shortest-run syndicated comic.

FWIW, you can buy a complete run of the comic on Amazon, containing cartoons from the paperback, plus additional cartoons created for its brief newspaper run.

In another, sideways related story about poor timing, JFK and Rocky and Bullwinkle I have this. R&B was hugely popular and there was a chapter of the show which took place in the fictional state of Moosylvania. Fans wrote in tons of letters talking about the fairytale land. The show runners managed to find and purchase a strip of land in the middle of a lake between Minnesota and Canada, and they decided to petition the government for statehood. Just a big goof publicity stunt, as the strip of land was too small to have any population. So the show runners went cross country, gaining signatures, with the idea of ending the tour at the white house, and presenting their petition to JFK directly. Unfortunately, while they were crisscrossing the country, the Cuban Missile Crisis was happening, and they were promptly, and rudely turned away by White House security.

https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/when-statehood-for-moosylvania-was-thwarted-by-the-cuban-missile-crisis/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The All Blacks are a New Zealand rugby team. "She's as rowdy as the front row of fans at a rugby game!"

Jucika "474 - Jucika And Dog Friendship"

"475 - Jucika And The Newbie Car Mechanic"

"Rear engine...If I remember my Top Gear correctly, cars like that behind the Iron Curtain were light-weight, low-powered, and used a gas-oil mix. They were notoriously unreliable, and when the wall fell, people would leave them abandoned with the titles inside."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

What does that phrase "Niggly as an all black front row". It sounds racist, but I can't parse it.

The All Blacks are the New Zealand national rugby team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The All Blacks (all black kit) are the NZ rugby team, they are (normally, not so much currently) one of the very best teams in the world.

The front row are the dudes on the front row in the scrum. They are the chunky boys whose general role in a game is to be right in the middle of a pile of people making them either move or stop. They are the ones with the most cauliflower ears and broken noses. They are traditionally quite easy to upset and up for a fight.

Niggly means persistently complaining/uncomfortable/bad-tempered.

He is saying that the sow will be as grumpy as one of the locally famous men whose job is to be a powerful and ornery bastard.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ah gently caress This Is When This Happens I Guess

Next time: anti-baby racism. Also I keep getting annoyed when people forget that we're excellent persistence and endurance hunters, that's a hell of an advantage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Ah gently caress This Is When This Happens I Guess

Next time: anti-baby racism. Also I keep getting annoyed when people forget that we're excellent persistence and endurance hunters, that's a hell of an advantage.
I knew the bomb was coming and I'm still blown away, did not expect it to be literally in-universe instantaneous literally turning from a pawed creature to human hands and feet incredible stupendous holbrook you've done it again

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

wasn't familiar with him so I googled. Wikipedia has this humorous anecdote:

quote:

According to several sources, stand-up comedian Lenny Bruce went on with his November 22 nightclub show as scheduled. Just hours after Kennedy's death, Bruce walked onstage, stood silently for several moments, then said, "Boy, is Vaughn Meader hosed."[10]

Out Our Way (November 30-December 2, 1939)

Muriatic acid is also known as Hydrochloric acid.

rannum posted:

I knew the bomb was coming and I'm still blown away, did not expect it to be literally in-universe instantaneous literally turning from a pawed creature to human hands and feet incredible stupendous holbrook you've done it again
Why did he go from a ..bear? to human. I'm pretty sure I've seen monkeys and apes in this comic.
gently caress you Holbrook.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 23, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Always feels weird to me when "the baby rabbit is able to instantly kill and devour adult predators literally 10x her size" is treated seriously instead of just as a weird punchline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hippocrass posted:

Why did he go from a ..bear? to human. I'm pretty sure I've seen monkeys and apes in this comic.
gently caress you Holbrook.

Have we? I think the closest we've gotten in the primate lineage from those native to that world is lemurs.