Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

mawarannahr posted:

why do people keep moving there?:sterv:

if you're old it's a good idea - the best medical care for seniors is in FL because every geriatric care doctor who is any good moves there to make big $$$ on the huge existing volume of old people already there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

what the gently caress

You should never be using your high beams so other people can see you because you should never be using your high beams when there are other cars around. You're not going to increase your visibility, you're going to blind oncoming traffic and cause an accident.

yep. use your fog lights if you have them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1573158274047918083

Tampa ain't gonna do well in a huge storm I imagine

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

this image is breaking my brain

I hope this will take those smug greenlanders down a peg. "look at me I'm so high up on the map hoopdeewoop" GET EM FIONA

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

PostNouveau posted:

Tampa ain't gonna do well in a huge storm I imagine

I was thinking that this morning. Wasn't there some longform article that came out a few years ago about the utter lack of drainage in Tampa considering its location, compounded by overdevelopment? Something about certain parts of it have standing water or mild flooding even with minor storms?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Planet X posted:

I was thinking that this morning. Wasn't there some longform article that came out a few years ago about the utter lack of drainage in Tampa considering its location, compounded by overdevelopment? Something about certain parts of it have standing water or mild flooding even with minor storms?
South Tampa is really bad about that yes. Even when it’s just a regular thunderstorm those roads flood almost instantly.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Planet X posted:

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2020/08/14/hurricane-phoenix-is-tampa-bays-devastating-worst-case-scenario/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Some of us get some bad seasonal depression, the lack of Sun is only one part of it. I'd love to live somewhere where the lack of Winter would make my brain not hate itself, but some of us are stuck in our frozen Northern climes.

not for long, look on the bright side

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Paywalled but I’ve previously read that were a hurricane to hit Tampa bay at the right angle the storm surge would essentially push the water inland and prevent it from flooding back out and absolutely wreck the whole area

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Paywalled but I’ve previously read that were a hurricane to hit Tampa bay at the right angle the storm surge would essentially push the water inland and prevent it from flooding back out and absolutely wreck the whole area

gently caress TOm Brady!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

I get cabin fever and hosed up SAD brain whenever we get weeks of that weather in a row without break

That was like four consecutive months this summer though. I hate it. Can get out of here fast enough!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

biceps crimes posted:

heat acclimation is a thing, though it has its limits. i enjoy being outside up to like 95, as long as the dew point is below 70. acclimation requires a couple of weeks of increasingly more time spent doing outside activities though, and I keep at my ac set at 80, as blasting arctic temps with your ac makes it impossible to acclimate. gently caress going outside when it’s above 100 and humid though, I get cabin fever and hosed up SAD brain whenever we get weeks of that weather in a row without break

I live with a miser who doesn't mind the heat if it's saving them a penny and it's so funny when every single guest comments on how hot the place is while we're both perfectly comfortable. All summer long it needed to be 85+ or thereabouts for an AC to come on during the day. We did run them all night long though cause gently caress sleeping in anything above 70.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm surprised the thread is unaware, but Tampa is under a protection spell and cannot be hit directly by a hurricane

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The article says a hurricane curling in from the southwest and hitting just north of Tampa is the worst case scenario.

:thunk:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
drat

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

The article says a hurricane curling in from the southwest and hitting just north of Tampa is the worst case scenario.

:thunk:

the produce ships are all late today in the florida ports

its going to be way worse next week lol

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

biceps crimes posted:

heat acclimation is a thing, though it has its limits. i enjoy being outside up to like 95, as long as the dew point is below 70. acclimation requires a couple of weeks of increasingly more time spent doing outside activities though, and I keep at my ac set at 80, as blasting arctic temps with your ac makes it impossible to acclimate. gently caress going outside when it’s above 100 and humid though, I get cabin fever and hosed up SAD brain whenever we get weeks of that weather in a row without break

I think I’m as acclimatized as I’m likely to get and I can deal with the heat when I’m working or need to be outside without wilting or complaining. I just hate the physical feeling of being hot/sweaty an incredible amount I guess

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I think I’m as acclimatized as I’m likely to get and I can deal with the heat when I’m working or need to be outside without wilting or complaining. I just hate the physical feeling of being hot/sweaty an incredible amount I guess

Yeah, people really just do not want to accept that cold preference is a thing. I'm "fine" in hot temperatures. I spend hours outside in our garden or at the beach in 90+ degree heat every year, I just hate it. I would spend my whole life at 65-70 and be happy, but honestly I'd take sub-32 over 85+ any day of the week. I'm generally out hiking all winter long, but never hit the trails in the middle of the summer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Warming up is easy. Cooling down isn't.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Warming up is easy. Cooling down isn't.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just bedaubed with sunscreen, lugging beach chairs and a cooler full of beers, wearing swim trunks sunglasses a straw hat and a silky button up t shirt that has a bunch of alligators playing poker and smoking cigars on it, walking across the sand in front of a pure blue ocean, crying my eyes out

you still have to go to work when it's summertime in florida. this ain't italy

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Some of the maps seem to glitch out above 60north

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

no its fine, the weather systems are outrageous to a point where they exceed the wildest parameters of the equipment we made for monitoring them and its fine

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I think what really bothers me the most about those maps is that they still use the mercator projection that far up north. At that point just use a different projection!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

that’s what hurricane charley was supposed to do until it turned on a dime and hit punta gorda instead

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
punta

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Vladimir Poutine posted:

imo if you grew up somewhere hot then it’s more likely that you’ll arrive at the only correct set of opinions: hot weather is charmless garbage and cold weather is to be over romanticised and considered almost magical

Grew up in Memphis TN.

Heat is loving hell. Everyone I know who says they like it hot just spends all loving day in the AC. There's like 2 whole months where its pleasant and everyone is all "ahh see this is so nice!"

Now live in the PNW because I can enjoy the temp outside like 7 months out of the year and I only see snow at my house like 1 week of the year and have to turn on some AC maybe like for a month.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Space Jam posted:

that’s what hurricane charley was supposed to do until it turned on a dime and hit punta gorda instead

that's the tampa protection spell in action

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
100 degrees really isn't that bad if the humidity is <10%, just move to Denver it never gets hotter than that here

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

OK baizuo posted:

100 degrees really isn't that bad if the humidity is <10%, just move to Denver it never gets hotter than that here

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OK baizuo posted:

1) it will
2) lol water

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

OK baizuo posted:

it's also worth noting that when you're in Denver you're also very close to the sun in terms of altitude, which it what makes it so hot

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

having lived in both texas and florida, texas heat is way worse. in florida it never really gets hotter than 95 and it cools off pretty quick after sunset. texas is just unbearably hot all loving day.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Give me your constraints on a perfect location for climate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in parts of florida all your stuff gets ruined if theres no power for a week the mold just takes over once the a/c dies

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SirPablo posted:

Give me your constraints on a perfect location for climate.

For me it's cold, but also attractive men who would like to gently caress me live there

I've made do OK with Seattle but it's getting warmer than I'd like

I suppose if I got attached maybe I could drag a husband somewhere colder

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just taking notes... Cold... Attractive but desperate men...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SirPablo posted:

Just taking notes... Cold... Attractive but desperate men...

I cannot believe this calumny to which I am being subjected :mad:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I cannot believe this calumny to which I am being subjected :mad:

I learned a new word :toot: thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

1) it will
2) lol water

Yeah, although the altitude seems to keep a lid on how high it can get.

Colorado is the mother of rivers, we'll be better off than everyone else in the Intermountain west except for like Idaho probably. Still want to move to MI or MN eventually but I'll miss the dry climate