Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My team is getting some pretty choice time slots and have been for the past year. Usually now is when the kid leagues fill back up and gobble up all the ice time but we're still getting 7-8pm starts so I guess youth hockey is dead in the Chicago region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I mean its whatever. I'll just call off work on Thursday because I'm not gonna be able to fall asleep when only 6 skaters show up and I'm tired from hockey and lack of sleep

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

My team is getting some pretty choice time slots and have been for the past year. Usually now is when the kid leagues fill back up and gobble up all the ice time but we're still getting 7-8pm starts so I guess youth hockey is dead in the Chicago region.

The travel teams are going already here, and are travelling for their games to places like... Arizona? This is what happens when you let the parents vote. The other option was a tourney in Minnesota. The house teams won't start games for another couple week or two. I'd expect those nice time slots either disappear or you just get to keep them this year. For the rinks here 8:30pm start is when adult leagues tend to start playing. I'm looking forward to starting myself, Kraken training camp means there was no drop in this week, but games are starting and I'm looking forward to trying to play positionally? Going to be interesting because that's not a thing that I can really practice at drop in. I try, but mostly it's just just chaos.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't played in like a year because I'm a covid agoraphobe but when I last did when they put games that were 11 pm or later people would often just no show them. You'd get maybe like 7 guys a side if that. Nobody wants on a Friday especially to be playing hockey that late.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A new 3-sheet rink was just announced in my area yesterday. Looking forward to my usual rink to have some actual competition and a real hockey director that isn't the owner's kid who never watches a single minute of hockey.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

Usually now is when the kid leagues fill back up and gobble up all the ice time but we're still getting 7-8pm starts so I guess youth hockey is dead in the Chicago region.

The number of kids playing hockey in Chicago is directly related to how well the Blackhawks are playing. I also completely understand if parents don't want to send their children to play in a rink run by the franchise who protected a sexual predator.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't played in like a year because I'm a covid agoraphobe but when I last did when they put games that were 11 pm or later people would often just no show them. You'd get maybe like 7 guys a side if that. Nobody wants on a Friday especially to be playing hockey that late.

If the bar is open after the late game I’m down to play that late on a Friday.

Dinner at home, lil snooze, game, quick shower and last call for a beer upstairs? Great night.

Tuesday night? That wouldn’t work for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah, I'd be ok playing on Fridays. But they just sent out our schedule and for the first time since I started playing again, there are no breaks longer than a week. There is almost always a period where you don't play a league game for a month. And the times are decent, so our daughter can watch daddy skate "fast".

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We're doing back to back 7:15 and 8:15 games on Saturday nights this winter, couldn't be happier.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think the latest game I ever had was like a midnight or 1am game in chicago at Johnnies east before Johnnies west or MB center were built. This had to have been around 2010ish. Thankfully I was only subbing on the team and at the time I didnt mind because I was young and could do that kind of thing.

The last seasons I played in the seattle leagues, 11:15 or 11:35 were the latest ice times during the week. I dont believe friday or saturdays were available for play. Most teams argued against sundays because of wanting to watch :butt:football:butt:.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Ginette Reno posted:

The leagues I played in on Fridays/Saturdays were the most fun. Most everyone would show up and plenty of beers were drank after (and before) since it was a weekend and we didn't have to get up for work the next day.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

A new 3-sheet rink was just announced in my area yesterday. Looking forward to my usual rink to have some actual competition and a real hockey director that isn't the owner's kid who never watches a single minute of hockey.

Link?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
In one of my leagues, we get two or three post midnight starts per session. 12:40 is the latest start time. Sucks but I love to play, so.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.folsomranchsports.com/

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oh cool, Folsom. Gilroy is building a two sheet facility as well. Five new rinks in Norcal in the next few years is cool; plus the Sharks just opened two more in SJ.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

If the bar is open after the late game I’m down to play that late on a Friday.

One of the leagues I played in had Friday night games sometimes and it was a clear divide where all the people in their late 30s or older loved it and the young dudes would bitch and not show up.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Any Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia goons interested in Sunday night pickup inline hockey? Especially goalies, since this weekend’s session was cancelled due to lack of goalies. Hit me up for details, I have PMs or read my mail at gmail dot com.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok just an hour until my game against "vetlawusa.com"

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It's always nice scoring a short hand goal. Defenseman got a penalty so I pulled back to cover D. Center won the faceoff right to me and it felt perfect coming off the stick. Nice little wrister from the blue line.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I was no where near scoring in my first game (ever). But I was a +2 from the blue line (not that it gets tracked). Definitely some mistakes, but it’ll be a good challenge for me to defend people at this level. I will say my passing was getting real crisp by the end of the game and I was starting to play smarter, so an old dog can learn some new tricks. Now I just need to learn how to shoot the puck and I might qualify as “almost competent”.

It was a ton of fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Anybody in Seattle want my 2 kraken tickets for tonight? I got covid and can't go, and they're not selling. I've sent out the bat signal so I'm not sure how long they'll last.

The games at 7vs the oilers. Pm and I can send them over if they're still available

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So we are a tuesday league and we forfeited games 2(Sunday) and game 3(2 days later starting at midnight).

Anyways game 4 was last night and we won 10-8 hurray! We have a brand new goalie in net since ours quit due to the super late game times.
I missed 3 passes across the crease into an empty net. Literally whiffed on all 3. And missed a bunch of other chances. And I'm by far the worst skater on either side. But I'm getting better so that's nice. I'm still trash at turning to the right quickly , but I'm doing crossovers instinctively now so that's good. It's weird how hockey locker rooms are the exact same thing as letterkenny

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Well we didn't have a goalie tonight, ran 6 skaters and won 9-8. The other goalie was a bit pissed.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Owns. A couple weeks ago our goalie got stuck in traffic so we played the first 6-7 minutes with 6 skaters. After the first period he came to the bench asking “did they not update the scoreboard yet or something?”. Nah dude, we shut them out without you!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adversity works in beer league, if the team is missing a goalie or on the PK people play their rear end off and the opponents turn down the intensity because they think they have a huge advantage.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

That is the truth. A few years back we played a team that had just come from watching a Silvertips game and were absolutely housed. After we scored 3 goals on the first two shifts they sorted themselves out and we barely managed to hold out for a tie.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Before the game one guy came up and said it would be really embarrassing if they lost. He totally jinxed them. They also had to many people, we had 9, they had like 15 for a 10:15 game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

calandryll posted:

they had like 15 for a 10:15 game.

gently caress me, can't imagine showing up for a 10:15 game to enjoy my 11 minutes of ice time

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Same. We only have ten on our roster at all, though we’re risking going up to 11 next season to bring back a former teammate :ohdear:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our roster is 11, including our goalie, as well. It's nice because we're usually playing 9 for a game. The other teams have poo poo like 19 people on the roster. The benches aren't big enough for teams that size!

We did our private pick up last night, and one of the guys for the team we beat was there and at the first face off he goes I see you brought a goalie tonight. :lol: They were so salty about losing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ive had probably a half dozen games where the goalie doesn't show for a while, or we only have 5 players show up. They almost always turn out that the first half of the game goes in their favor. One game in specific, our goalie didn't show up until the third period and we were up 5-0. By the time he stepped onto the ice the period was half over and we were still up 5-3. I think we lost the game 6-5.

I think people play more carefully and don't just push the pace the whole time trying to make risky things happen. If you step onto the ice in the first period and see that you have no subs, you're probably not going to hustle as much to pinch on plays and whatnot. Without a goalie, you'll play way more controlled, more defensive, and not try to lose possession of the puck.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

prom candy posted:

gently caress me, can't imagine showing up for a 10:15 game to enjoy my 11 minutes of ice time

My last week's game was 9:10pm.
Tonight is 10:35pm.
But at least our games are Friday night and the odd Saturday evening.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have three 11pm games in a row :argh:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I guess I'm going to be happy about everything starting before 10pm so far then. Most have been around 8-9pm though and I'd expect that's where it stays.

I even have a game scheduled for the end of the month at 5:15pm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My game this week is at 4:40. It's a one off, but gotta brag about what you got.

That's PM by the way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
No one else is playing hockey this week in your town. Or they confused your team for an over 60 league.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is that a weekday or a weekend? In the summer season we had a 6:30PM weekday game with 7 skaters because all the fools with regular jobs, or families, couldn't make it in time.

Idiots.

(Currently trying to recruit some last-minute skater subs for my 11:15PM game tonight at the rink with the world's smallest dressing rooms.)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My team's next seven start times:
1110 Fri
1240 Sat/Sun
1000 Sat
1220 Fri/Sat
1200 Sat/Sun
1110 Thu
1110 Thu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress sake. Where do you play again? Those look like San Jose time slots.