Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish MS would make outlook rules easier to create, and let me know what ones can be handled server side and what will only run on my client..

And have some smarts in creating rules, like if you see a ton of JIRA emails coming in why not filter them by project automagically? sheez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Sundae posted:

Jokes aside, I really do recommend paper unless you need it to be quickly editable without erasing or if you're bad at self-organizing and need card structure or something to make it manageable. No judgment there - I just know that certain people find certain ways of doing things easier than others.

I stick with Paper 1.0 because I've found that me typing at people during meetings / note-taking makes them really uncomfortable, whereas if I have a notebook and scribble some stuff down, they're OK with it.

I quite like taking notes on paper. I find I retain information better that way and I can use whatever organization suits the topic, but I use trello and OneNote nowadays so I can reorganize without rewriting (especially for todo lists) and share my notes easily. Plus trello is one of the few things I can access between work and personal devices

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wish managing Outlook didn't take half my day. Google's policy of "never delete anything because search actually works well" was much better at my old job.

Also my current company has a default 6 month email retention policy which is loving insane and sadist.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FogHelmut posted:

I wish managing Outlook didn't take half my day. Google's policy of "never delete anything because search actually works well" was much better at my old job.

Also my current company has a default 6 month email retention policy which is loving insane and sadist.

I have you beat. Ours is 4 months. 120 days.

I needed an email from something back in Feb this year about a project we're just getting to. Gone.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FogHelmut posted:

THE. WORST.

I have to folder everything into a spot with 3 year retention

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zarin posted:

THE. WORST.

I have to folder everything into a spot with 3 year retention

What do you mean by this, you put the whole inbox into the 3 year folder or just things you want to retain?

I think we have unlimited retention on Outlook.... but my inbox space is filling up. I'm gonna have to take the Outlook backup file (have not done this yet) and plop it into OneDrive, then delete the messages is what I'm thinking.

Of course the day after I do that I'm gonna need things from emails a year or two back and will have to search through the backup file.

I'm one of the people that folders nothing and relies on search for all finding.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cheesus posted:

I'll make a controversial claim that OneNote shared between your desktop and phone works well.

My use case is a combination of to-do lists, notes, and daily work logs. OneNote's freeform-ness makes it feel unstructured and clunky and because of that I don't love it, but it works well for me. As someone who prefers the flexibility of Paper, the one place something like OneNote shines is for searching.

The phone integration is really useful for those, "I just had an idea and I'm not near my laptop!" situations, like getting your kid ready for school.

i like onenote but i refuse to put anything work related on my personal phone, and i am not about to go buy a second phone just for work stuff. i use OneNote in a fairly structured way for research notes tho, not so much for quick things.

+1 for paper notes. I'm a designer by trade, and I sketch fairly regularly, but i haven't made the switch to purely digital sketching like seemingly most designers these days. paper is great for quick working sketches and notes, and keeps me from tweaking out on minutiae or making things perfect. i keep a ream of paper on my desk just for that stuff. some of them get scanned/archived, some of them get thrown in a folder for future work samples, but most of them just get shredded when i organize every couple months.

i used to use leuchtterm dot grid notebooks for daily task lists, but i stopped doing that earlier this year. i have like six years of those notebooks tho! i should probably start doing that again tbh.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Gnossiennes posted:

i like onenote but i refuse to put anything work related on my personal phone, and i am not about to go buy a second phone just for work stuff. i use OneNote in a fairly structured way for research notes tho, not so much for quick things.
My perspective: My notes are mine. They are not on my work computer. I wouldn't just hand them over any more than I would hand over a Book of Paper containing similar information.

That said, I have a non-common WFH setup where I use RDP into my work laptop. That allows me to keep OneNote on my personal laptop and thus share with my phone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gnossiennes posted:

i used to use leuchtterm dot grid notebooks for daily task lists

They're the best. And a nice pen <3

I don't use notebooks as a reference more than a week back, but pen on paper is amazing for organising my thoughts.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Todoist is the best task management app, hands down just for the natural language input. Just type "call Mike Friday 9am" instead of clicking calendar and clock icons. It has list view or kanban view... all the apps have all the same features really so the UX is what separates them unless you need to work as a team or have some special integration.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nobody can see my notebooks because of the amount of times I have to write out simple math formulas to make sure my brain is making sense of them correctly.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Democratic Pirate posted:

Nobody can see my notebooks because of the amount of times I have to write out simple math formulas to make sure my brain is making sense of them correctly.

I got to do law of sines a few weeks ago. For an issue with a million plus machine, that had the accuracy of something on it purposely downgraded to save 1% :eng99:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

greazeball posted:

Todoist is the best task management app, hands down just for the natural language input. Just type "call Mike Friday 9am" instead of clicking calendar and clock icons. It has list view or kanban view... all the apps have all the same features really so the UX is what separates them unless you need to work as a team or have some special integration.

This is why I use Fantastical

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
I experienced something straight out of 'The Office' today, and I really wish this was embellished in some way, but I assure you its not. If anything, I'm downplaying it to stop my embarrassment, but figured I had to share it somewhere.

I got put on the spot today at a diversity training. It was my first week.

The trainer randomly picked me and asked me to name a time I was prejudice towards a coworker and how I overcame it.

This is in front of a large group.

I stared at them in silence for 15 seconds and said "Idk I really can't think of a time I felt prejudice, I try to keep open minded, you'll have to come back to me"

And then he goes "Everyone is prejudice, everyone, this is a safe space. Tell us."

I stared for 30 more seconds of silence as my mind was racing and I just said "Idk seriously, I need time to think about it". It was really awkward.

And then he goes off on a small speech about how when certain people get on the subway women grab their purse real tight subconsciously and that's a sign of judgment and prejudice, and then actually circled back to me and asked me about a time I was prejudice towards people at work.

We had a mini staring contest.

Then he finally asks the girl next to me about if she had a story to share, and she said she thought blondes were dumb but then found out they were actually bright as all of the blondes she works with are extremely intelligent. To give context, she's best friends with 2 execs who are blonde.

Then he didn't ask anyone else.

This has been pissing me off since it happened.

What kind of training method is this? How do I properly answer that question in front of literally over 100 people?

"Oh I thought women were dumb as bricks, but turns out that's not true. Their aptitude and skill actually varies based on each individual and their sex actually didn't matter!"

Also I'm a man, I can't say things like "Blondes are dumb, but then my blonde bosses are smarter than me! tee hee"

So now I have a reputation as quiet shy guy cause I take forever to answer these type of questions in trainings.

Why can't I just do my god drat job in all these corporations?

Would you guys have been able to answer on the spot? Its absolutely enraging.

/rant

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah you just make poo poo up. "I used to have this thing about automatically resenting guys with red mullets [or some other pointless trait that doesn't apply to anyone in the room or above you in the org chart] because a guy with a red mullet picked on me a lot in grade school, but I was able to see past it once I realized that's what was going on." Or whatever. The exercise is bullshit because all it's doing is testing your improv skills with a bunch of people staring at you. In other words, just one of the myriad things extroverts come up with to remind introverts who's in charge.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am extremely prejudiced against diversity trainers. They have tiny little hands and smell of cabbage.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

“I am prejudice against people who ask dumb questions in an attempt to make me feel uncomfortable and to gaslight me into thinking I am terrible person because of my gender, race and preference in partner”

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Even worse is that person was paid a lot of money to embarrass you in front of 100 coworkers.

D&I trying should be helpful to many but is mostly just a scam to make some people in
HR feel better about themselves .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sticksy posted:

D&I trying should be helpful to many but is mostly just a scam to make some people in
HR feel better about themselves .

I feel like this is broadly applicable to most forms of corporate all-employee training :v:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
"I used to have a stereotype, then I had one anecdotal experience to the contrary. Now I no longer have that stereotype."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I really got to say though, the hating blondes lady really expertly managed to dodge the situation.

Or you can go for full The Office and just say you used to hate black people until you found a shared love of fine art with Stanley. Really put that "safe space" in front of 100 coworkers to the test.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

Renegret posted:

I really got to say though, the hating blondes lady really expertly managed to dodge the situation.

Or you can go for full The Office and just say you used to hate black people until you found a shared love of fine art with Stanley. Really put that "safe space" in front of 100 coworkers to the test.

They asked 4 people now that I processed it.

Guy #1 (Me): "Please come back to me" /blank stares

Girl #1: "Blondes were dumb, but my blonde bosses who promote me 2x every year and go shopping with me are smarter than me"

Guy #2: "Yeah I had prejudices and I fixed them, but I'm not sharing because I'm not comfortable... Yeah I know its a safe place, but I'm not comfortable sharing"

Girl #2: "I had a dog chase me when I was 12 years old. So I judged dog owners as irresponsible, but after meeting so many pet owners, I feel like I misjudged them. I love dogs now."

Considering we don't have dogs in the office, I don't know why you would judge people that have dogs are irresponsible nor why it would be a factor.

I know she was just trying to give a quick answer without saying something ridiculous like "I thought black folks were dumb, but now know they aren't after working with Chris"

What a horrible event. There was so much tension and everyone was on edge the entire time. The corporate types loved it though, but none of them said they were prejudice openly, they just would tiptoe around the question and make jokes.

I'd also like to know why the board is 100% white people if they're so big on DE&I.

This has nothing to do with what I was hired to do, and I really don't care about race or gender or anything.

I genuinely don't and I can say that with pure honesty. Not just virtue signaling, I genuinely don't give a gently caress what you are. You are my coworker. Maybe we'll be friends, maybe we wont? But I'm going to judge you on your character and nothing else. I feel like these trainings are made for people who will say they don't care, but deep down they actually do. But a corporate environment where you're judged daily is not the place to do it.

You can put a black, post-op trans, muslim woman in charge of me and I wouldn't care about any of that. Swear to god, I don't give a poo poo. If they're cool we can be friends, if they're a dickhead then we won't be cool.

Smif-N-Wessun fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 23, 2022

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
I also had to add in another surreal memory when the leader of diversity training pounded on the desk and said:

"I AM PREJUDICE! AND SO ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets admit it, its step 1 to moving on."

Then you look around the room and its mostly people with a Vietnam vet's thousand yard stare trying not to have a reaction and thanking whatever god they worship they didn't get called on. People like me who got called on looking defeated, and the corporate types fake looking attentive.

At one point I remember thinking to myself, this training would probably have the opposite intended effect if implemented on a mass scale.

I could see stereotypical open minded leftist people having a switch go off in their head and being like "This is really loving stupid, I'm gonna go stereotypical right wing racist instead."

Renegret posted:

We both know that "safe space" is corporate slang for "lets see whos dumb enough to take this bait and ruin their career"

Smif-N-Wessun fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 23, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Diversity training is almost always handled clumsily, but it exists for very good reasons. There are people who legit think its ok to make equal opportunity jokes or make fun or religion or whatever because thats how they grew up and all they knew. They don't know where the boundaries are. You level set with everyone because then you know if someone crosses it they are doing so knowing it's wrong. If you work with a truly diverse group you'll know that people can have trouble knowing where the boundaries are, and punishing people for well-meaning but tone-deaf actions is in itself a problem. So you level set everyone.

Putting people on the spot like that is super stupid, though, 100% agree.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I don’t think you’ll be judged harshly for not answering the question and being shy. As a plus though, no one will think that you secretly hate black people because you publicly said you used to hate black people and now you don’t because you made friends with one at work!

The only way to win is to not play, like you said all the execs dodged.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Or no one will think of you the way they do about one of the supervisors I work with a lot.

“You have to watch out for ___ salesman because he’s a Jew. Now don’t misinterpret what I just said, I mean all salesmen are Jews.”

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I stupidly mentioned raises in relation to inflation to my boss yesterday and she said that raises caused all of the inflation and this has to stop somewhere :(

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

remigious posted:

I stupidly mentioned raises in relation to inflation to my boss yesterday and she said that raises caused all of the inflation and this has to stop somewhere :(

Soooo you're updating your resume, right?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

SpartanIvy posted:

Soooo you're updating your resume, right?

I am low key crushed that she said that because she’s always been a great person to work for and I looked up to her. There are many reasons I should update my resume, but I have to think pretty hard and weigh if more money is worth losing my fully remote, largely unsupervised job that I enjoy.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

remigious posted:

I am low key crushed that she said that because she’s always been a great person to work for and I looked up to her. There are many reasons I should update my resume, but I have to think pretty hard and weigh if more money is worth losing my fully remote, largely unsupervised job that I enjoy.

Similar has happened in my experience and I have thus come to pity management. Getting too close to the rules that business logic runs on destroys your humanity and critical thinking skills.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

Someone asked that at the annual financial meeting and the HR drone said gosh, if we gave you more money when inflation went up, we'd also have to reduce your salary when inflation goes down, and nobody would like that, would they?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

tactlessbastard posted:

Someone asked that at the annual financial meeting and the HR drone said gosh, if we gave you more money when inflation went up, we'd also have to reduce your salary when inflation goes down, and nobody would like that, would they?

Gee, why is turnover 160 million percent? People just don't want to work these days, I tell ya.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

tactlessbastard posted:

Did someone have the balls to point out that would be deflation, not “inflation going down”?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

Did someone have the balls to point out that would be deflation, not “inflation going down”?

I give it 50/50 odds they are actually talking about the rate of inflation increase going down (but still inflation) requiring a salary adjustment downward. Because that's just stupid enough to come out of executive management's mouth.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

but they do do that right? I seem to remember salaries being cut for pandemic deflation reasons recently.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a crime to delete my emails so I can hoard them all, for eternity. Read me saying "yeah lemme look into that"- and then not doing it from 15 years ago and weep auditors.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

post-op trans

quick clarification, what do you mean by this? sorry, i'm just struggling to think of any case where I'd know if a trans person was "post-op" (which one???) in a workplace.

Your DE&I training was ineffective and possibly detrimental to the goal there, but tbh your "i don't even see gender or color!!" makes my own inner inner prejudice well up inside me. you might have great character and treat everyone exactly as they want to be treated, but anytime i hear a variation on that riff, i know i will struggle to trust that person and will tiptoe around them like the floor is salted with eggshells. it's a bias, i know.

i went through my work's DE&I training a few months ago, and I was bracing for a shitstorm of bad info and people complaining about it being mandatory, but i was pleasantly surprised. self-paced, no in-person stuff, no cohort group posting/commenting, just fairly decent videos and scenarios that covered specific and relatable biases.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

Its a crime to delete my emails so I can hoard them all, for eternity. Read me saying "yeah lemme look into that"- and then not doing it from 15 years ago and weep auditors.

just delete the email that told you not to delete emails :v:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Gnossiennes posted:

quick clarification, what do you mean by this? sorry, i'm just struggling to think of any case where I'd know if a trans person was "post-op" (which one???) in a workplace.

Your DE&I training was ineffective and possibly detrimental to the goal there, but tbh your "i don't even see gender or color!!" makes my own inner inner prejudice well up inside me. you might have great character and treat everyone exactly as they want to be treated, but anytime i hear a variation on that riff, i know i will struggle to trust that person and will tiptoe around them like the floor is salted with eggshells. it's a bias, i know.

i went through my work's DE&I training a few months ago, and I was bracing for a shitstorm of bad info and people complaining about it being mandatory, but i was pleasantly surprised. self-paced, no in-person stuff, no cohort group posting/commenting, just fairly decent videos and scenarios that covered specific and relatable biases.

I have a bias to think you live in California. I admit this and know I need to work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Tnuctip posted:

I have a bias to think you live in California. I admit this and know I need to work on it.

ey you nailed it 8)