Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that never jumped out at me either. I just assumed that he knew something bad happened to them but didn’t want to drag bellow down by telling him; I didn’t suspect he was the cause of it.

E: though to be fair, i am very stupid. I’m one of the jerks they made fun of on rude talks for not knowing what was going to happen in thin black line (in my defense, it’s harder to keep continuity straight when you’re waiting 2 weeks between plot points, I had forgotten the significance of the river)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of waiting, have they given any indication on when the next "camp" and episode batch may be? It seems like we were on a waiting period pretty recently so I was surprised things quieted down so quickly again.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Warbird posted:

Speaking of waiting, have they given any indication on when the next "camp" and episode batch may be? It seems like we were on a waiting period pretty recently so I was surprised things quieted down so quickly again.

Taylor posted some stuff in the discord from the last day of camp, so I assume they finished it recently.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Fortunate Horse just also hired a production assistant so they're presumably ramping up production capacity and efficiency.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think taylors thing about "his vibes were supposed to be off because his deal is colonialist" is preetttyy weak. like 'vacation' was only ever depicted in the show as a pretty cool thing arrayed against some weirdos and hosed up places, and 'turning your home into a tourist attraction' didn't actually come up until, well, the actual reveal. i think the idea of being inherently suspicious because there were some steel drums in the sound track is flimsy, is all.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Farg posted:

i think taylors thing about "his vibes were supposed to be off because his deal is colonialist" is preetttyy weak. like 'vacation' was only ever depicted in the show as a pretty cool thing arrayed against some weirdos and hosed up places, and 'turning your home into a tourist attraction' didn't actually come up until, well, the actual reveal. i think the idea of being inherently suspicious because there were some steel drums in the sound track is flimsy, is all.

Yeah, I agree. Danny was definitely sketchy and a bit hosed up, but Taylor's reasoning seems a bit too deep in his own head. Kind of like any group of people having a shorthand in their conversations that they get from having shared experiences, he knew about it and so thought it was obvious. It is, if you knew about it. The clues are definitely there but if you didn't they are easy to miss.

Having Danny be upfront about the whole "you need to figure out your own afterlife thing, I'm not involved" made him actually one of the more upfront and honest characters they've met. I think that threw a wrench in it, especially with how every character is pretty sketchy or hosed up in some way.

There was definitely more story involved with him, that was obvious but going this way was not what I expected. Still good, I just didn't see it coming.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Taylors colonialism thing was absolutely something that only existed in his head but I'm honestly surprised by everyone's read on Danny. It might just have been the absolutely horrible voice, but from the moment he was introduced my take was like "this guy is a total wrong un". Just unbelievably bad vibes on him? In contrast to the nasty freaks they normally encounter who tumble over themselves to announce their deviancy, he immediately seemed like a brian gently caress type- the "I'm on your side, I'm here to help, and this help clearly has a catch the size of a whaling harpoon stuck in it" manner of guy?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The colonialism thing makes sense as a critique of Danny Timeshare, but the idea of a vacation town where residents are forced to serve vacationers is introduced in the story after we find out that he accidentally pureed a town, so it can't be a hint at a sinister motive.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 21, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

Taylors colonialism thing was absolutely something that only existed in his head but I'm honestly surprised by everyone's read on Danny. It might just have been the absolutely horrible voice, but from the moment he was introduced my take was like "this guy is a total wrong un". Just unbelievably bad vibes on him? In contrast to the nasty freaks they normally encounter who tumble over themselves to announce their deviancy, he immediately seemed like a brian gently caress type- the "I'm on your side, I'm here to help, and this help clearly has a catch the size of a whaling harpoon stuck in it" manner of guy?

For whatever it's worth I immediately distrusted Danny Timeshare, but I immediately distrust most authority figures in fiction and in a real-life so I thought I was just being paranoid. Definetly felt some creepy vibes from the dude.

The colonialism thing I GUESS makes sense in retrospect? But before we knew about what Danny did to Bryan Doyle Falls vacationism was presented to the audiences as basically just a philosophy about the importance of taking breaks and it helped literally everyone Bellow introduced it to. It was less "someone comes to your home and takes all your poo poo then kicks you out" and more "you can improve your life by not endlessly working until you die" which is frankly good advice.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean the whole deal with Warlock class in D&D is supposed to be that you have a patron deity who's a sinister jerk that inconveniences you and makes you do poo poo for him in exchange for your magic powers, isn't it?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The colonialism thing I GUESS makes sense in retrospect? But before we knew about what Danny did to Bryan Doyle Falls vacationism was presented to the audiences as basically just a philosophy about the importance of taking breaks and it helped literally everyone Bellow introduced it to. It was less "someone comes to your home and takes all your poo poo then kicks you out" and more "you can improve your life by not endlessly working until you die" which is frankly good advice.

This might be what fucks up the analogy is that basically everything we see of vacationism is filtered through Bellow, an incredibly chill, nice dude who just wants to help people, which naturally fucks up the negative vibe?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh for fucks sake goons.

There is this dude from Orange Beach, Alabama named James Buffet that wrote a bunch of songs that are fun to get drunk to…

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Entropic posted:

I mean the whole deal with Warlock class in D&D is supposed to be that you have a patron deity who's a sinister jerk that inconveniences you and makes you do poo poo for him in exchange for your magic powers, isn't it?

Bellow's a Cleric (with some levels in Druid from the start) I think? Cordelia's the Warlock.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Uvula posted:

Bellow's a Cleric (with some levels in Druid from the start) I think? Cordelia's the Warlock.

I thought he was a druid that multiclassed into warlock?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Oh for fucks sake goons.

There is this dude from Orange Beach, Alabama named James Buffet that wrote a bunch of songs that are fun to get drunk to…

with you so far. Then what happened

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

I thought he was a druid that multiclassed into warlock?

He's a vacationism cleric

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

This might be what fucks up the analogy is that basically everything we see of vacationism is filtered through Bellow, an incredibly chill, nice dude who just wants to help people, which naturally fucks up the negative vibe?

That's very true, Bellow is played in such a way that he never uses vacationism to do anything bad so it's hard for the audience to view it as anything other than a positive. Bellow makes tropical drinks, builds pools, and preaches about how vacation is a state of mind that can be done anywhere at anytime by anyone as long as they just take some time to chill. It's only later that we learn that Danny Timeshare has a very different view of the religion that focuses heavily on the concept of travel and that's where the whole colonialism angle and turning people's homes into vacation spots comes in comes in. It makes sense and it fits, but it was never really foreshadowed and more just comes off as new information because Bellow never presented vacationism that way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

some plague rats posted:

with you so far. Then what happened

Boomers discovered that it’s also fun to get high as gently caress to as well and the concerts as amazing people watching. Idk why they did what they did with Danny. I’m sure they go into it on Rude Talks, but from the bystander’s standpoint it’s kind of a turn. As mentioned I’m sure it’s been telegraphed of you were looking for it but it’s also been easy to chalk it up to “lol beach music” and not think about it hard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The entire party is going to be just a pile of charred limbs, bones and bird parts covered in goblin goop by the end of this arc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

Boomers discovered that it’s also fun to get high as gently caress to as well and the concerts as amazing people watching. Idk why they did what they did with Danny. I’m sure they go into it on Rude Talks, but from the bystander’s standpoint it’s kind of a turn. As mentioned I’m sure it’s been telegraphed of you were looking for it but it’s also been easy to chalk it up to “lol beach music” and not think about it hard.

I'm still not sure what you're getting at here. I've always gotten the very clear Danny Timeshare = Jimmy Buffett reference. That's not why I found him suspicious (it's because he's a God and all God's are sus until proven otherwise, I learned that from JRPGs) or what ties him to colonialism (I feel like that's more of a commentary on what's been done to places like Hawaii or Jamaica, where a bunch of people from other countries did a lot of damage there and now they go there to relax and be waited in by natives who's culture they tried to destroy). Branson doing a Jimmy Buffett impression and all the Jimmy Buffett references (especially the Cheeseburger in Paradise riff in the God Room) were fun and good, all the other non-Buffet parts about Danny are the bad stuff.

Also:

NEW EPISODE!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm such a mark for this dumb show, I gasped at Bellow ripping off his puka shell necklace and laughed like an idiot at Branson stopping the climactic moment to ask what Hellish Rebuke does.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Cordelia is a Warlock, and she has an Infernal Pact with Cheddar. Cheddar gives her arcane (wizard) spells.

Bellow is a Druid who multiclassed over to being a Priest/Cleric of Danny Timeshare, he can still use his Druid Wild Shape powers to shapeshifter into animals. Both Druid and Cleric get Priest/Divine spells, which come from gods or things that might be gods, like a forest or something. I don't know l, whatever it is Druids get their powers from.

It's totally different,you guys. :eng101:

Bellow is so sweet and kind that he is/was preaching the idea of Vacation, not the harsh reality of paying for tickets and lodging and making sure your boss approves your time off why can't you be a team player?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Gotta say I was not expecting the crew to leave that fight alive. Seems like the Falls would have been a direct conduit to hell which is where they're still aiming to get to right? Or am I forgetting some aspect of that plot line?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I, Butthole posted:

Gotta say I was not expecting the crew to leave that fight alive. Seems like the Falls would have been a direct conduit to hell which is where they're still aiming to get to right? Or am I forgetting some aspect of that plot line?

Wasn't it a requirement they enter from a very specific spot? The university grounds or something?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Long story short, they have to die at the college if they want to go directly to college hell

Warbird
May 23, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Long story short, they have to die at the college if they want to go directly to college hell

Rutgers? :v:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I wasn't quite expecting them to kill a god, even a minor one. Neat.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Farg posted:

Wait, are steel drums supposed to be evil???

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Timeshares are notoriously lovely...

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

goblin week posted:

Wait, are steel drums supposed to be evil???

I did some quick googling on the history of Steel Drums, and it looks like they have an origin in enslaved Africans in the Caribbean, specifically Trinidad. How Taylor thought anyone would just know that, I'unno.

That aside, I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next episode. So many characters are so hosed up. I'm especially curious how Albi will respond to waking up with only one working arm.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 25, 2022

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

apatheticman posted:

Timeshares are notoriously lovely...
Yeah, this was the thing that made me not trust Danny from the start. Timeshares are virtually always presented as an idealized resort type of thing that people are pressured into, and they end up being a waste of time and money that's hard to get out of.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUW_4M8oEh4

Trofe made a full animated episode of rude tales the absolute madman

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Repo Man posted:

I did some quick googling on the history of Steel Drums, and it looks like they have an origin in enslaved Africans in the Caribbean, specifically Trinidad. How Taylor thought anyone would just know that, I'unno.

That aside, I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next episode. So many characters are so hosed up. I'm especially curious how Albi will respond to waking up with only one working arm.

Bellow is missing the lower half of his body, I'm not sure how that's survivable

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe hell operates on heaven rules where you get your missing body parts back after dying.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

flavor.flv posted:

Hey, wow, this rules and everyone should watch it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bellow is missing the lower half of his body, I'm not sure how that's survivable

it probably missed his vital organs

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Albi might disagree.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

If I'm eyeballing those credits right, noted goon about town and Rude Tales pervert Voidburger helped the transcript for this. Neat!

Edit: This is super solid but it really loses something by not having Branson's deranged DMing filling in the gaps.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 29, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Always impressed with Trofe and this is seriously cool! Laughed out loud at all the little movements

For what it's worth, I started suspecting Danny back when he told the group to go to Toilton. He definitely seemed off back then and was surprised when that quest didn't turn out to be a trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Happy Landfill posted:

Always impressed with Trofe and this is seriously cool! Laughed out loud at all the little movements

For what it's worth, I started suspecting Danny back when he told the group to go to Toilton. He definitely seemed off back then and was surprised when that quest didn't turn out to be a trap

Didn’t Branson say something somewhere about how the players managed to speedrun through Toilton way faster than he expected?