Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I unironically stan Nixon. Not a great guy for a lot of reasons but when you take into account the competition and just tally the balls and strikes, Tricky Dick comes out better than most and if you ignore ideology and just measure by his efficacy as a politician he doesn't fare too poorly until an admittedly ignoble final defeat.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hmmmm, idk sabotaging early end to vietnam and then bombing laos and combodia is p damning

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I unironically stan Nixon.

an absolutely dreadful sentence

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus didn't Nixon found the EPA, the original form of cancel culture?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

we have no choice but to stan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Dear Dick,
you still ain't called or wrote
I hope you have a chance
I ain't mad
I just think it's hosed up what you did to Laos

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Protected the poo poo out of the environment of SE Asia.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Sep 23, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

LastInLine posted:

I unironically stan Nixon. Not a great guy for a lot of reasons but when you take into account the competition and just tally the balls and strikes, Tricky Dick comes out better than most and if you ignore ideology and just measure by his efficacy as a politician he doesn't fare too poorly until an admittedly ignoble final defeat.

xD

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's kind of incredible how if you don't take into account the amount of human suffering caused overseas by American presidents they can become "good".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Why McKinley was our Most Based President

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's kind of incredible how if you don't take into account the amount of human suffering caused overseas by American presidents they can become "good".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you're willing to accept America is fundamentally an evil enterprise then admittedly you're going to have some morally dubious KPIs to determine rankings.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you ignore ideology and just measure by his efficacy as a politician, Nixon was one of the most effective presidents ever at killing people of colour overseas

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

vyelkin posted:

if you ignore ideology and just measure by his efficacy as a politician, Nixon was one of the most effective presidents ever at killing people of colour overseas

his admin started the war on drugs! give the man some domestic credit too!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
another Nixon gem was supporting genocide in Bangladesh and seeking to punish India for putting an end to it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
strongly reconsidering my "Nixon is my homeboy" t-shirt

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

projecthalaxy posted:

Why McKinley was our Most Based President

is he the one who had whiskey shoved up his rear end until he starved to death?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Hey. Hey. There was also beef broth and vinegar in the whiskey.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

yeah but that was just cuz he was in Buffalo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The army squad guarding mckinley usually made people have their hands up and empty to go into the handshake line but since it was so hot and stuffy they let people keep dabbing their foreheads with handkerchiefs to be polite and then whoopsie doodle somebody has a revolver in their handkerchief

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Andrew Gillum's hotel party

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Jumpstarting the prison industrial complex was a L but we must recognize the noble goal of shaming stoners

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

LastInLine posted:

It’s so funny when these people outright reveal they care more about neutered government agencies being respected than countless human lives being obliterated

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
McKinley sucked but the guy who shot him was pretty cool.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

McKinley sucked but the guy who shot him was pretty cool.

There was a stretch around that time where anarchists just decided to start killing every head of state they could find. They killed the empress of Austria and I think two different Italian PMs?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Lord, would you deliver these races in Georgia? O Father, would you deliver various local and state races, Father, that they aren't stolen? Would you give us a true vote? And, O God, I personally ask, from myself, Michele Bachmann, Lord, would you allow Donald Trump to have a second term as president of the United States?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Zerg Mans posted:

There was a stretch around that time where anarchists just decided to start killing every head of state they could find. They killed the empress of Austria and I think two different Italian PMs?

propaganda of the deed objectively did not work and was a failure as a political strategy but it did get a bunch of rich people and horrible inbred nobles killed so it had at least one redeeming quality

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mister Bates posted:

propaganda of the deed objectively did not work and was a failure as a political strategy but it did get a bunch of rich people and horrible inbred nobles killed so it had at least one redeeming quality

Very possible to say if it was good or bad.

Also side-eyeing current day Japan when you say "failure as a political strategy" just to see if there's any new developments.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the song about Czolgosz icing McKinley is also the best part of Assassins

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Setting aside the incredible racism surrounding Mount Rushmore,

You really have to admire the fact that Teddy Roosevelt had the absolutely gargantuan balls to say "I'm going to build a monument to the greatest presidents, Washington, Jefferson???, Lincoln, and ME"

The sheer (racist demon cracker) chutzpah of that guy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Anime Liker posted:

Setting aside the incredible racism surrounding Mount Rushmore,

You really have to admire the fact that Teddy Roosevelt had the absolutely gargantuan balls to say "I'm going to build a monument to the greatest presidents, Washington, Jefferson???, Lincoln, and ME"

The sheer (racist demon cracker) chutzpah of that guy.

Teddy Roosevelt didn't build Mount Rushmore

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Its impossible to say if he did or didn't, really. Maybe it burst forth fully formed from the rock like mighty Artemis.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Andrew Gillum's hotel parTy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

vyelkin posted:

I'll be damned.

I'd always heard the story as "it was supposed to be Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea, Crazy Horse, and [5th], but Teddy was like nah gently caress that, ME"

But according to Wikipedia it was Teddy's bestie, some crusty senator.

the_more_you_know_star.gif

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Wow, things sure have changed since then

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus didn't Nixon found the EPA, the original form of cancel culture?

people here like to bring that up but no, he begrudgingly signed it into law after his political opponents wanted something much more powerful at regulating

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dumpmaster General posted:

It’s so funny when these people outright reveal they care more about neutered government agencies being respected than countless human lives being obliterated

I'll stan Nixon not being particularly bad compared to other presidents; like Trump, his badness is more public because he pissed off the wrong powerful also-bad people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'll stan Nixon not being particularly bad compared to other presidents; like Trump, his badness is more public because he pissed off the wrong powerful also-bad people.

it's okay, you don't actually have to hand it to the guy who bombed tens of thousands of Cambodian civilians to death and sponsored the Pinochet coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people here like to bring that up but no, he begrudgingly signed it into law after his political opponents wanted something much more powerful at regulating

It’s probably better to say absolutely nobody in power realized quite how powerful NEPA was. It passed the senate unanimously and the house near unanimously. This is not the vote count on a bill anyone expects to have teeth