Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I really hope Valve keep going with steam deck, it's such a good platform for playing new and different games on. Guessing it must be driving more game sales and also steering people to steam over EGS and others where there is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

large update dropped including the input updates for stable and for beta branch they said to have fixed external display issues like 30Hz

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/news

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

njsykora posted:

I got my email yesterday night and somehow still don't have my deck this morning, what's stuff I can do while waiting to cope? I already created a Deck Verified collection in my library (that was smaller than I expected).

You don't actually need to do that - the Deck has a built-in filter screen for green-tick games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

njsykora posted:

I got my email yesterday night and somehow still don't have my deck this morning, what's stuff I can do while waiting to cope? I already created a Deck Verified collection in my library (that was smaller than I expected).

You can start collecting peripherals. USB-C adapter, Micro SD card, etc.

If you plan on doing emulation, sort your favorite ROMs into curated folders. You're more likely to play them that way over scrolling through ROM sets. Maybe it's a good time to prepare a bunch of ROM translations and hacks.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Quick, I've got a long flight coming up and I haven't tested how playing games offline works. Can I just download a bunch beforehand and they'll launch when I've lost internet connection or do I gotta do something special?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably launch them once, just in case!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Quick, I've got a long flight coming up and I haven't tested how playing games offline works. Can I just download a bunch beforehand and they'll launch when I've lost internet connection or do I gotta do something special?

You gotta go to your network settings and turn on offline mode. Try it out first.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

It doesn’t get better from there. I have a tracking number and I’m just staring at the tracking, which hasn’t updated in a while and gives me an ETA for Monday.

I just want to know it's making progress but it's so slow

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Heran Bago posted:

You gotta go to your network settings and turn on offline mode. Try it out first.

Didn't know about this one. Gonna give it a try

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Quantum of Phallus posted:

FEAR 1 plays amazingly on this thing, it’s soooo fun . You can’t get it on steam anymore but you can get keys for it for like €2 online

You can actually, you just have to buy it in a bundle with all the other FEAR games

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Didn't know about this one. Gonna give it a try

It's a different thing than airplane mode. Like in offline mode you can still connect to wifi and play games online. I don't quite get it but it's some holdover from when Steam used to be bad with this sort of thing. Biggest thing for me is it stops saves from syncing.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Man, I wish there was a way to move multiple games from my SD card to my SSD. I didn't realize that Steam automatically downloaded things to my SD card until I nearly filled the dang thing up, and now I need to make room for my ROMs and whatnot that I'd rather not have on the internal drive.

Also, speaking of ROMs, if any of you are having issues seeing some of them in EmuDeck, apparently it doesn't like .7z files. I was literally about to ask about why I couldn't see some here and just figured that out myself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

You can actually, you just have to buy it in a bundle with all the other FEAR games

yuck

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
My creaking lovely laptop claims it can run disco elysium so I'm installing that while I wait for my email which will hopefully be Monday.
Do save games synch automatically or will I need to do stuff to carry them over to the deck when I eventually get it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

In theory they sync automatically but the wifi is so poo poo on the deck that it’s a bit of a dice roll

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drrockso20 posted:

No-one should be forced to have Perseus Mandate in their library.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

sigher posted:

Is it possible that Valve could put in an option to always have both UIs loaded in memory so that switching could be instant? I love that we have both options but man does going between them feel kinda junky.

I wish the SteamOS UI was like Big Picture running on top of the Desktop environment and available whenever I need. I do all of my gaming in SteamOS but god drat I hate it when I'm in game and want to change something through the desktop but I can't without closing the title, switching, then going back in.

Not so much with how it's built today. I haven't done it myself but you could probably set the default environment to be Desktop mode on bootup and have that auto launch into Big Picture mode. That would probably provide what you're aiming for but with how SteamOS is set up for updates I'd imagine that it would reset it self back to default Game Mode bootup when it updates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

You technically don’t need to do this.

I leave the house with my deck nearly every day and it will install and play games with no internet just fine.

The obvious exceptions are games with launchers like ubi soft. The rockstar games work fine but I’ve had issues launching ubi games offline even though it should work.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat Spyro 1 remake this morning, and besides the small letterboxing it worked great - the cutscene you get for 100% played in Spanish for whatever reason, though, so I may figure out how to fix that and the letterboxing before moving on to Spyro 2 remake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Halo Master Chief Collection not being playable at all because of anti cheat is some bullshit. I just wanna play the campaign.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Halo Master Chief Collection not being playable at all because of anti cheat is some bullshit. I just wanna play the campaign.

What's the deal with this, anyway? Why does anti-cheat prevent steam deck playability? Is it a proton thing?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was able to play Master Chief's campaign totally fine, I think they just give you the option to start the game without using the anti cheat system. I assume that disabled online play, but I got into campaign no problem.

Edit: I did no modifications to it either, just downloaded it and it played fine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the deal with this, anyway? Why does anti-cheat prevent steam deck playability? Is it a proton thing?

I think it is, I’ve heard a bunch of multiplayer games don’t work on proton because it doesn’t work with anti-cheat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poo poo, Valve is going to be getting so much money from my wife and I this Christmas.

Is it deck compatible and has online co-op, and isn't a shooter (she's not a fan)? Sold.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anticheat checks the environment to make sure you aren't doing anything fucky and Proton needs to be insanely fucky to be able to shim games to run on Linux and Vulkan. They also usually want kernel access and that doesn't work on Linux. The anticheat games that do work have been made aware that they're in a Linux environment and call out to a userland anticheat service instead of a kernel driver.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Destiny 2 anti cheat thing sucks. Just lock Linux users out of PVP, who honestly gives a gently caress if they cheat in PVE

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

the wifi is so poo poo on the deck

I turned off wifi power saving mode in dev mode and my wifi was a million times better after.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the replies, all.

Anyone here playing Daggerfall (obviously the Unity build) on your deck? I'm assuming this is a real possibility for me, just wanted to know how much poo poo I'll have to mess with to get it running.

Mobile and modded Daggerfall... the dream :allears:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the Destiny 2 anti cheat thing sucks. Just lock Linux users out of PVP, who honestly gives a gently caress if they cheat in PVE

uhhh if they cheatin then they not spending money on diamond orbz for blind boxes???? duh

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man, I wish there was a way to move multiple games from my SD card to my SSD.

I don't have my deck yet so I'm talking out of my rear end, but can't you just go to "Manage game" > "move to different steam library" like you would on desktop?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

I don't have my deck yet so I'm talking out of my rear end, but can't you just go to "Manage game" > "move to different steam library" like you would on desktop?

You can but I don't think there's a way to mass migrate them so you gotta do it one at a time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the replies, all.

Anyone here playing Daggerfall (obviously the Unity build) on your deck? I'm assuming this is a real possibility for me, just wanted to know how much poo poo I'll have to mess with to get it running.

Mobile and modded Daggerfall... the dream :allears:

I got it running but for whatever reason the controller support wasn’t working right.

It does work though and I’m sure you’ll have to some tinkering. I don’t think it’s that much work to get running it was just too much for me to really deal with lol.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Couple questions. First off, is there a way to calibrate the touch screen? Correlation between where I touch and where the mouse cursor goes feels a little off.

Second, is there a way to get the left trackpad to mimic the functions of the right one? I assume I could just do it on a per-game basis with the control templates or whatever but just curious if there's a more generic option for customizing the left trackpad.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Srice posted:

You can but I don't think there's a way to mass migrate them so you gotta do it one at a time.

Go into Settings/Downloads and you can multiclick everything you want to move from one drive to another, or uninstall.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

Go into Settings/Downloads and you can multiclick everything you want to move from one drive to another, or uninstall.

Ah, shoulda figured there was a way!

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Downloaded Freedom Planet, Chrono Trigger, Symphony of War, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and all of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. From the brief testing I had with Chrono Trigger, Freedom Planet and FF1PR, I had no trouble playing it and I can say that it looks really nice.

Anyway, probably just gonna download small games first until I purchase an SD card for bigger games and emulation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mega64 posted:

Second, is there a way to get the left trackpad to mimic the functions of the right one? I assume I could just do it on a per-game basis with the control templates or whatever but just curious if there's a more generic option for customizing the left trackpad.

Templates are the only way, I have templates set up for FPS titles and third person titles that I have really customized to my liking so most of the work is done when I'm in a new game. I tend to change small things on a per game basis. For things like "I always want my touch pad to do X" just make a template, spend a lot of time getting it perfected and use load it for whatever title you need it for.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a warning about using Nkit versions of games when I ran GameCube using Dolphin. Does that actually affect performance or anything or it it one of those “just in case” warnings?

As for the emulators themselves, I’ve tested out Wind Waker and F-Zero. They look great and perform mostly well. Do you gotta tweak settings in Dolphin in desktop mode? If so, what are the generally preferred settings?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

sigher posted:

Templates are the only way, I have templates set up for FPS titles and third person titles that I have really customized to my liking so most of the work is done when I'm in a new game. I tend to change small things on a per game basis. For things like "I always want my touch pad to do X" just make a template, spend a lot of time getting it perfected and use load it for whatever title you need it for.

I messed with templates more after posting earlier and this is pretty much the way to go. I actually kinda like having the touchpads as pseudo-joysticks for games where I don't need a mouse, as it seems gentler on my thumbs than doing D-Pad/Analog Sticks (with the back buttons doing A/B functions helping as well).

Speaking of being gentler on thumbs, any third-party grips that stand out much like the Satisfye grips for the Switch? The Deck is certainly more comfortable than the base Switch, but I'm also kinda worried it might cause some wear and tear on my thumbs and wondering if there's a grip that may alleviate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got a warning about using Nkit versions of games when I ran GameCube using Dolphin. Does that actually affect performance or anything or it it one of those “just in case” warnings?

As for the emulators themselves, I’ve tested out Wind Waker and F-Zero. They look great and perform mostly well. Do you gotta tweak settings in Dolphin in desktop mode? If so, what are the generally preferred settings?

My approach to 3D emulation is up the resolution to whatever the screen you're using is (so 720p/1080p depending on preference for the Deck) and touch nothing else because a lot of other graphical settings changes can make the game look like garbage.