Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
DB is green 100% if you stick to east of 93. The west of 93 gets a little harder but not by much.

When I ride that from the house I usually bring water, multitool, tube, some form of inflation (pump/CO2) and a snack. How much food and water depends on your pace. At race pace, Ive done under an hour, but if I’m just riding along, it’s over an hour, maybe 75 minutes. If I do west + east of 93 it’s like 2-2.5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any SE MI locals need volume spacers for a fox float shock? Had some shipped to me by mistake and it isn't worth shipping cost to send them back so they just gave them to me. PM if you want them. These ones:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/co...g-kit-1-2-shaft

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

stratdax posted:

This is some type-3 fun. Nice job, that's intense. Do you stash food and water caches ahead of time? Or just carry a lifestraw for when you work through your water bottles.

This is an odd event from a support standpoint. Its officially "self supported" except for a drop bag the organizers will shuttle to the halfway point (you touch there twice). A ton of folks have a support team and there are are a bunch of groups that set up neutral aid stations, often with a grill going. The community is crazy engaged and supportive. It's a requirement that anyone providing aid on course provide it to anyone who asks, so anyone you see when you pop out on a road usually has a big rear end thing of water at least. I always put a gallon of water in my drop bag and replenish at aid stations that have bulk water and close-by access to a spigot. I also put changes of kit and shoes in there. For food I habitually overprepare, it's almost a problem. I prepped more than enough food for the whole event, carried most at some point, and ate maybe half of it.

The route goes right through three towns so while it can feel remote at times you're not far at all from civilization.

:69snypa:

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I just received my Fox Racing Launch Pro D3O Mountain Bike Knee Guards in the mail today, and they are too small. I got the large size, but my thighs are just too big and they won't fit. Does anyone know of a quality brand of MTB knee pads that are made in extra large size that can accommodate 18 inch thighs? Also, does anyone here want to buy my Fox knee pads from me? These are $100 on amazon, but I'll sell them to you for $80 Here is a link to them: https://a.co/d/d65ANNs

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The same thing happened to me. Wtf is with Fox thinking that their large is even at all close to large.

Ended up with the IXS Carve knee pads in xl and they are awesome. And I got to test them in a pretty unpleasant crash and they did great!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fox's jerseys also fit waaay too small. Their medium is skin tight on me while other brands fit perfectly.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
In conclusion, goons are fat.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

The same thing happened to me. Wtf is with Fox thinking that their large is even at all close to large.

Ended up with the IXS Carve knee pads in xl and they are awesome. And I got to test them in a pretty unpleasant crash and they did great!

Great pads here. Also Eejit has beast mode thighs so this will probably work for the OP.

I use the IXS Flow which have a bit less padding.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Armor IMO is one of those things you're better off ignoring the brand and just going to a LBS and trying on. I have pretty big thighs and large troy lee shinpads/kneepads fit me well though for what it's worth.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

School of How posted:

I just received my Fox Racing Launch Pro D3O Mountain Bike Knee Guards in the mail today, and they are too small. I got the large size, but my thighs are just too big and they won't fit. Does anyone know of a quality brand of MTB knee pads that are made in extra large size that can accommodate 18 inch thighs? Also, does anyone here want to buy my Fox knee pads from me? These are $100 on amazon, but I'll sell them to you for $80 Here is a link to them: https://a.co/d/d65ANNs

Where my pads sit on my thigh, I'm at 20.5in (big boy), I've got the POC vpd 2.0 in XL and they fit just fine. Comfortable enough for all day at the park without issues.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Alright, can someone explain the difference in these? I can't find anything other than "for ebikes" and the "ebike" version being way cheaper right now.

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-...NkaAuqlEALw_wcB

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-Evo-Knee-Pads

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Alright, can someone explain the difference in these? I can't find anything other than "for ebikes" and the "ebike" version being way cheaper right now.

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-...NkaAuqlEALw_wcB

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-Evo-Knee-Pads

It's in the description, the ebike one has Qmatter padding, and a certified level-one rating. The non-ebike one has Xmatter padding and does not specify if there's any certification on the armor inside.

Based on how they describe either of those, it sounds like the Qmatter is just a foam and the Xmatter is one of those non-newtonian-ish polymers that gets rigid as it takes a hit to absorb energy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

It's in the description, the ebike one has Qmatter padding, and a certified level-one rating. The non-ebike one has Xmatter padding and does not specify if there's any certification on the armor inside.

Based on how they describe either of those, it sounds like the Qmatter is just a foam and the Xmatter is one of those non-newtonian-ish polymers that gets rigid as it takes a hit to absorb energy.

For what it's worth I've taken big slams wearing d30 armor and it's been just as good as hard plastic in every situation. I still run hard plastic shin/knee pads because I want to slide if I hit those areas and not have the pads catch and get pulled out of position.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth I've taken big slams wearing d30 armor and it's been just as good as hard plastic in every situation. I still run hard plastic shin/knee pads because I want to slide if I hit those areas and not have the pads catch and get pulled out of position.

Good to know, not a slam on either tech by any means, just pointing out what I noticed in the descriptions of both pieces there. I think d30 is the first level of the impact hardening stuff, a grade above dense closed cell foam. My POC pads are that weird impact hardening polymer that feels like plastic but is actually not and I really like them. They meet whatever the level 2 requirement is, felt way too beefy when I got them but upon actually wearing them, I see no reason to get the thinner pads (for my scenario), unless you're pedaling all day every ride.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They are both x-matter on the ixs website though so very confusing. $10 cheaper would make me think they shouldn't be the same though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

spwrozek posted:

They are both x-matter on the ixs website though so very confusing. $10 cheaper would make me think they shouldn't be the same though.

I agree, I would do a deeper dive into the Qmatter and see if that level of protection works for your needs. That way if you order them and they're Qmatter after all they'll work, but if they're Xmatter then it's a free upgrade?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Good to know, not a slam on either tech by any means, just pointing out what I noticed in the descriptions of both pieces there. I think d30 is the first level of the impact hardening stuff, a grade above dense closed cell foam. My POC pads are that weird impact hardening polymer that feels like plastic but is actually not and I really like them. They meet whatever the level 2 requirement is, felt way too beefy when I got them but upon actually wearing them, I see no reason to get the thinner pads (for my scenario), unless you're pedaling all day every ride.

Yeah sorry I was only trying to say that I like the stuff.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah sorry I was only trying to say that I like the stuff.

Same!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Speaking of armour, anybody have recommendations for a minimalist spine protector for non-bike park use? I took a big slam the other day and had a pretty hard rock impact pretty drat close to a vertebrae, has me shook. Pretty sure I sprained some intercostals too, but I don't want to wear a full DH shirt.

Just the biggest slam on simplest, dumbest thing after cleaning a couple garnly blacks on Eagle. Complete brain fart on a friggin bridge.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Speaking of pads, bike closet has some POC air knee and elbow super cheap. I bought my helmet from them, they have some serious closeout deals sometimes.

https://bikecloset.com/shop/?s=poc&post_type=product

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stratdax posted:

Speaking of armour, anybody have recommendations for a minimalist spine protector for non-bike park use? I took a big slam the other day and had a pretty hard rock impact pretty drat close to a vertebrae, has me shook. Pretty sure I sprained some intercostals too, but I don't want to wear a full DH shirt.

Just the biggest slam on simplest, dumbest thing after cleaning a couple garnly blacks on Eagle. Complete brain fart on a friggin bridge.

Generally that stuff has chest armour built in as well since it has to be held from the front anyways:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The fox base frame stuff might be good, they're compression shirts with removable soft pads. Might be able to pull the chest and hip pads from the shirt and only have a spine protector.

Some other brands make similar stuff but not sure of the companies or product names.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I use a poc backpack with spine protection built in or so it's claimed. My spine has not been injured thus far, but I don't really know if it's as good as a dedicated thing

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Speaking of pads, bike closet has some POC air knee and elbow super cheap. I bought my helmet from them, they have some serious closeout deals sometimes.

https://bikecloset.com/shop/?s=poc&post_type=product

fwiw my friend has the VPD air knee pads and says they are constantly slipping down his legs. According to him, they dont have a bottom strap so unless your leg is exactly the right size they can move around a bit.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have those; perhaps my knees are indeed the perfect size but I’ve had no issues. I think your buddy might just have a size too big.

I also have this, I wear it whenever I’m at the bike park or shuttling, and it’s pretty comfortable. The padding is removable for washing so if you really wanted just the back protection I don’t see why you couldn’t just remove the chest padding and ride with it like that.

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor-back-protection/products/oseus-vpd-torso?variant=39845278711974

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

stratdax posted:

That's when it gets you. I broke my humerus on a tiny feature 200m from my jeep on Burke probably because I had my mind on what I was making for dinner vs riding the bike.

https://www.dainese.com/ca/en/bike/rival-pro-tee-203879740.html?dwvar_203879740_color=BLACK&cgid=bike#start=1

I have the older version of this and like it. I wear it a lot more now since breaking my arm. Still isn't great on big climbs for heat but it's totally doable. It's very comfortable overall and the full shirt design keeps the pads where they should be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed posted:

That's when it gets you. I broke my humerus on a tiny feature 200m from my jeep on Burke probably because I had my mind on what I was making for dinner vs riding the bike.

Yeah I ripped my shin open when I was in a little park at the end of my street doing a 1 foot drop as a kid. Whoops!

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Can anyone recommend a singlespeed hardtail? Or am I better off building one?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Injuryprone posted:

I’m selling this one:

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3444262/

But it’s a bit on the eclectic side.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Injuryprone posted:

I’ve always built them. Find an interesting frame with sliding dropouts, then put whatever you like on there. If you’re on a budget, they come up now and again on the swap groups and Pinkbike.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just put a bunch of the take off parts from my procaliber onto a kona honzo dl frame. Those are pretty reasonably priced and have sliding dropouts. The steel ST and ESD frames have them as well (standard honzo doesn't).

Bike is for sale if anyone's interested. Size medium.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VelociBacon posted:

Same thing for the similar stuff in the IXS guards. I walk around hitting the pads with a frying pan or big sticks or rocks just because it's amazing how much protection something so bendy can provide.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Any strong opinions on chest protectors? Looking at the more protective end of the spectrum for park/shuttle days. Most of the stuff that looks like what I want is marketed towards moto. MTB versions have mostly zero rib or shoulder coverage.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mexican Radio posted:

Any strong opinions on chest protectors? Looking at the more protective end of the spectrum for park/shuttle days. Most of the stuff that looks like what I want is marketed towards moto. MTB versions have mostly zero rib or shoulder coverage.

This might be a bit of a nomenclature thing. In mtb, 'chest protector' means literally a thing that protects (just) your chest and usually your spine. We talked about such a thing less than a dozen posts ago and linked it and all that.

Sounds like what you want isn't a chest protector but rather "upper body armor". Just browse the fox racing, 661, IXS, POC websites and you'll probably find what you want.

I have the 661 evo "compression jacket":

I hardly wear it anymore because I find it fairly hot and I got lazy about it, but it's good stuff and works well. I've taken some fairly big impact crashes with it on and it's always surprised me in how well it's protected me. I clocked a tree with a shoulder going decently fast (around 30kph) and I didn't break or dislocate anything despite getting tossed from my bike.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Wondering if riding a bike on the larger size for your height could be an issue when trying to get you weight back for bunny hopping, manuals etc?

I'm around 5' 7" (~170 cm) and started riding MTB on a 2019 giant trance 2, medium size. The giant frame size recommendation has some crossover at my height, with a small frame ending at 173 cm height and medium starting at 170 cm, and I opted for medium. I do however really feel like my arms aren't long enough to really get my weight over the back wheel when I need to. Like when trying to throw my weight backwards during a bunny hop or to pick my front wheel up my arms are completely straight before my weight goes anywhere near far enough back (or so it feels to me anyway).

It's entirely possible this is just poo poo technique, but I'd be keen to know if this is potentially an actual issue, and if there's something I can do to the setup of the bike to make it a bit easier to get back (like shorter stem I guess, not that it could be that much shorter).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Wondering if riding a bike on the larger size for your height could be an issue when trying to get you weight back for bunny hopping, manuals etc?

I'm around 5' 7" (~170 cm) and started riding MTB on a 2019 giant trance 2, medium size. The giant frame size recommendation has some crossover at my height, with a small frame ending at 173 cm height and medium starting at 170 cm, and I opted for medium. I do however really feel like my arms aren't long enough to really get my weight over the back wheel when I need to. Like when trying to throw my weight backwards during a bunny hop or to pick my front wheel up my arms are completely straight before my weight goes anywhere near far enough back (or so it feels to me anyway).

It's entirely possible this is just poo poo technique, but I'd be keen to know if this is potentially an actual issue, and if there's something I can do to the setup of the bike to make it a bit easier to get back (like shorter stem I guess, not that it could be that much shorter).

I think it's more about bending your knees than it is about having your arms extended but I'm not really sure. I know my enduro bike's wheelbase and I assume chainstay length are a lot shorter than my DH bike and I can barely manual the DH bike, but it's no problem with the enduro. I certainly don't feel like I get over the back of my bike that much when I hop either bike.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Looks like that bike probably comes with a 50 mm 31.8 clamp stem. You can get a 35 mm relatively cheaply if you want to try something shorter.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Blackhawk posted:

I'm the same height and ride pretty much the same bike. Have you tried adjusting your seat position? Also, shortening up your bars might help, so you're not so wide with your grip.

Also, I want to see a pic or two of your bike :)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I'm the same height and ride pretty much the same bike. Have you tried adjusting your seat position? Also, shortening up your bars might help, so you're not so wide with your grip.

Also, I want to see a pic or two of your bike :)

Hmm ok yeah maybe I'll try out a shorter stem sometime and see how I like it, otherwise it's probably just me needing to be better.

I've already cut the bars down a bit, I forget the exact amount but they were definitely too wide initially as I'm pretty 'narrow'. I also feel like I wish I had a little more sweep on the bars, as my wrists are at a bit of an angle when sitting and pedaling currently.

Don't have many pics of the MTB, but did manage to find these two, also bonus photo of the cool frame bag my partner made for it for when we go on overnight trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty good fall riding going on right now. It's a bit of a rush to get as much in as you can before it gets snowy.