Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

The thread ninja guy.

No it's...in response to the idea that nothing really has happened and nothing significant has been lost they responded with "But what about this D list guy with 5 lines in the entire comic???".

It's like saying "drat this episode of star trek had real stakes, Private Gump Borando died"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pvt. Borando had a family, you monster.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

heck, there's plenty of trek episodes where viewers can and do get real invested in the fate of a pvt gump borando. but alas, MHA is no wej duj.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Valentin posted:

I don't even know what the reader is supposed to feel about this anymore. everyone got badly hosed up! no wait it's fine. okay time to have the exact same fight we would have had if deku didn't get teleported to the wrong place, forcing everyone to spin their wheels for twenty chapters.

It was Mirio trying to keep Deku from flying into a berserker rage because the last time that happened, OfA almost got stolen.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eh, I guess the upshot of all this is just that they'd originally planned for Deku to take on Shigaraki with some of the best backup they had, and now it's just him, Mirio, and the containment/quirk suppression team.

On that note, how much longer do you think Shigaraki's quirks will stay suppressed? In terms of Ultimate Powers and Final Forms, they're not about to defeat Shigaraki in a state where he doesn't have access to his most signature move. It doesn't seem obvious how he's going to break containment, given if he could then he would've by now for sure, and now that Deku's around they ought to be able to keep him busy. Maybe more outside interference? Sleeper agents, or a fight going on somewhere else spreads over here?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's...in response to the idea that nothing really has happened and nothing significant has been lost they responded with "But what about this D list guy with 5 lines in the entire comic???".

It's like saying "drat this episode of star trek had real stakes, Private Gump Borando died"

I was in no way attempting to imply that Edgeshot was important or that his eventual death will somehow constitute 'stakes'. It's just very funny to me for Mirio to say "everyone's fine" under the circumstances.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dolash posted:

Eh, I guess the upshot of all this is just that they'd originally planned for Deku to take on Shigaraki with some of the best backup they had, and now it's just him, Mirio, and the containment/quirk suppression team.

On that note, how much longer do you think Shigaraki's quirks will stay suppressed? In terms of Ultimate Powers and Final Forms, they're not about to defeat Shigaraki in a state where he doesn't have access to his most signature move. It doesn't seem obvious how he's going to break containment, given if he could then he would've by now for sure, and now that Deku's around they ought to be able to keep him busy. Maybe more outside interference? Sleeper agents, or a fight going on somewhere else spreads over here?

Deku’s gonna gently caress up and use smokescreen at an inopportune moment, blocking Monoma’s vision

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dolash posted:

No, see, with the quirks repressed, he's actually stronger because they aren't actively rebelling like Stars and Stripes ordered. He's able to control everything right now *because* of that. Once the repression stops, he'll fall over in a writhing mess of self harm.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

There is no sense of just letting things play out in this thread.

Just seeing folks talk about how we're never gonna get any resolutions and how awful everything was during the Overhaul arc, and how it reads better all in one go versus over time, and like... loving DUH.

This will too. There is in fact more coming (at least a few weeks, but final arc is in year two now, so I don't think we're in a big hurry at this point), why moan about imaginary slights that haven't happened yet (ending here?!?).

I understand that for whatever reason, some folks think this is the end all and be all fight we're preparing to see here. But considering we've seen that Dabi is still trucking and we haven't even popped back to Froppy and Uravity to deal with Toga or with the spies planted in UA, I think it's a little silly to treat this as the final set up for the final fight that's going to happen in the next two weeks.

But by all means continue to cry about how terrible the pacing is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Putting aside the fact that this is much less interesting than the Overhaul stuff ever got, this is a serialized story. It is designed to be consumed weekly. If it's not engaging in that mode, that's a serious issue. Things are constantly blowing up, but it feels like nothing's happening. It's the story equivalent of jingling keys in my face.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Hot prediction incoming but this is all probably gonna still suck rear end on a reread.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

Destroying the shield or somehow incapacitating the quirk suppression squad will probably be the last thing AfO does before his old body finally succumbs to Rewind.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh, yeah, that's completely fair. I actually thought you might have forgotten who Edgeshot was, because who the gently caress gives a poo poo about Edgeshot.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kanos posted:

Oh, yeah, that's completely fair. I actually thought you might have forgotten who Edgeshot was, because who the gently caress gives a poo poo about Edgeshot.

That's impossible to do, though. We've spent the last month complaining about the circumstances around Bakugo's latest fakeout death so much that it should immediately be detectable as sarcasm.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Delphisage posted:

That's impossible to do, though. We've spent the last month complaining about the circumstances around Bakugo's latest fakeout death so much that it should immediately be detectable as sarcasm.

It's possible to know "there is a wiggly thread ninja guy who is currently dying to sew a new jeart for Bakugo" and not remember that his name is Edgeshot.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

sew my broken jeart

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Bleck posted:

Hot prediction incoming but this is all probably gonna still suck rear end on a reread.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bleck posted:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Animated image Description: Troy arrives with pizza only to find all of his friends from school in agony and everything on fire.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

There is no sense of just letting things play out in this thread.

hm I guess it will be technically different when you can go "oh man big cliffhanger what will suneater's big move do" and instead of waiting a week to go "oh, nothing" you can turn the page and go "oh, nothing," but I'm skeptical it'll be that different

also I'm not going to go back and read this manga in one go lol I'm going to finish it and move on, like many readers do. there's no do-over here.

e: also the dominant complaint is not "this is bad because of how it is going to play out in the future" it's "this is bad and stupid because it's currently bad and stupid"

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 23, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've mostly just been peeking in on this thread now and then instead of actually reading it, but when it finishes I may read through from where I gave up initially (my interest soured around when deku got blackwhip) to the end and if I do i'll post my thoughts on how it reads straight through.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bleck posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, has it really been a week already?

CuwiKhons posted:

"We haven't lost a single thing," I mean Edgeshot is definitely going to die and Bakugo was clinically dead there for a hot minute. Miruko's lost a few more limbs and Amajiki's probably lost his will to live considering Shigarki no-sold his ultimate attack.

To be fair, telling him that probably isn't the best way to calm him down. :v:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Last panel:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Bug posted:

Last panel:

lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A Bug posted:

Last panel:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

I understand that for whatever reason, some folks think this is the end all and be all fight we're preparing to see here. But considering we've seen that Dabi is still trucking and we haven't even popped back to Froppy and Uravity to deal with Toga or with the spies planted in UA, I think it's a little silly to treat this as the final set up for the final fight that's going to happen in the next two weeks
i dont care about those things either op

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So we're bound to be cutting away from this bit where the main hero and villain finally meet to even more poo poo you couldn't care about. Great, cool! that definitely will fix the pacing issues here.

wait.

cool kids inc. posted:

But by all means continue to cry about how terrible the pacing is.

You think people are complaining about how bad the pacing is because it's too fast and we think this is actually about to end? Can you not read?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 24, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Christ, I had somehow managed to forget that after spending 20 chapters slowly driving to the fireworks factory, now that the actual fight is beginning there's a high likelihood that we're going to cut away from it for another 20 chapters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Christ, I had somehow managed to forget that after spending 20 chapters slowly driving to the fireworks factory, now that the actual fight is beginning there's a high likelihood that we're going to cut away from it for another 20 chapters.

Time to see how that fight with toga and gravity lass is going.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Endorph posted:

i dont care about those things either op

Cool! Never said you had to. Just that it's silly to think we're almost done (many, many folks griping about how Horikoshi is flying through as fast as possible- entirely likely, but also not nearly as bad as everyone here says because, hey, poo poo is going to get returned to). It's loving silly to be griping about the status of a fight when it's clearly not finished

See: Dabi-Shoto rn, go read everyone bitching about Dabi going down like a chump and how everything is terrible.

No 'whoops my bad' from those posters on Dabi's obviously telegraphed second phase. Instead, bc Dabi isn't a chump and it hasn't been explained yet, it's terrible and undeveloped and stupid.

Never mind that if we had stuck around there instead of hopping around, the same exact posters would be bitching because it's too slow or we haven't seen anything about insert-one-of-a-dozen characters in way too long. I know this because we've spent an extended period with this batch pending Deku's arrival and that's exactly what is happening here now.

If the manga isn't for you, fuckin awesome! It's perfectly valid to hate the direction or pacing or whatever. It's fine to mourn that a thing isn't what you expected it to be or didn't live up to whatever arbitrary expectation you had.

It's also unholy amounts of exhausting to read EVERY single week from the same people when all I want to do is laugh at funny rear end jokes and see how it ends.

I guess I just forgot how insufferable all media threads are here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao how is the thread real just turn off your monitor

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Real talk I dropped by because I heard about the butt joke a chapter before this one and that's pretty much why I'm here.

Mirio's a good egg

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

I guess I just forgot how insufferable all media threads are here.

This one's been a bit of a standout lately, even by those metrics. As you said, there's a lot of complaining in exact opposite directions, so that the thread demands the manga does one thing, then gets angry and says the exact opposite thing was what it should have done, even if that was what it was just complaining about.

And when a chapter initially gets some positive discussion (sometimes in a "Nice to get some fun moments after a slog" way) the thread twists and turns to claim that it never liked that at all.

It's kind of tiresome.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

idk that I'll ever think dabi-shoto final showdown part I was great (it's a phenomenal demonstration of how Horikoshi's action is very difficult to parse and he relies pretty heavily on blanketing scenes in fire and explosions in lieu of making them actually dynamic), but with time I will likely concede that having the dude whose whole gimmick is that he just overwhelms opponents by shooting fire at them stand up from the smoke and go "haha brother, with my masterful technique and sharingan eye I immediately deduced the nature of your new unique special move in mere seconds and copied it, which let me be hotter than your cold, I'm going to go kill our lovely dad now" was pretty fun and funny

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
“They keep changing what they want,” they say, about a thread that has been unilateral in the specificity of it’s complaints for months,

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone with a point to make would use quotes. The lack of them demonstrates disinterest in making any actual points.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm perfectly willing to admit that part of my ruthless making GBS threads on the comic lately has been that I really liked it for a long time and the disappointment in its current trajectory is strong enough to actually make me a bit angry

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone with a point to make would use quotes. The lack of them demonstrates disinterest in making any actual points.

Can confirm, I'm not interested in making a "point"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cry more.