Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A cherished memory growing up was eating fried catfish on Fridays during Lent. Now it doesn't even have to be Lenten season to eat fried fish I can have it whenever! It rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because it's poor people / "those people" food. This isn't just a US thing, you see it elsewhere too, although the examples I'm aware of usually revolve around bread.* Something is a staple of the economic (and often social/racial) lower classes, people a rung or two above them on the ladder avoid it because they don't want to be perceived as being lower down than they really are, then a few generations later you have yuppie food bloggers raving about the authentic food truck serving it out front of their office building. By the time you get to that point the association isn't as strong and the people rediscovering it aren't as economically tenuous and afraid of backsliding.

I've got relatives in the South who still refuse to eat catfish because growing up they were always taught it was "white trash food" and none of them are exactly raking in bank. Being able to pretend they're better than someone living in a double-wide is more or less all they've got, so it's what they latch onto. Well, that and Tucker Carlson. edit: meanwhile our shared Grandfather, to the end of his days, loving loved fried catfish. Then again, he was verifiably poor as gently caress at one point in his life, and supplemented his diet with fishing more than once during the Depression.

*white bread made with heavily milled wheat grain was traditionally food for wealthy people. Coarser grains with more of the hull and oils left in the flour, like barley and rye, were what everyone else made. The fancy loaves of expensive boutique whole wheat, rye, etc. bread sitting on the shelves of a Whole Foods is an example of this kind of inversion.

I remember hearing years ago that there was a similar inversion in the perspective on owning lakefront property. Back in the day lakefront property was unappealing (poor drainage, full of bugs, smelled bad, etc), and was left for the yokels while the rich people lived up the hill. Now it's the reverse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I remember hearing years ago that there was a similar inversion in the perspective on owning lakefront property. Back in the day lakefront property was unappealing (poor drainage, full of bugs, smelled bad, etc), and was left for the yokels while the rich people lived up the hill. Now it's the reverse.

That reversal is now also reversing due to climate change. Lots of previously unattractive neighborhoods inland and uphill in Miami are getting the gently caress gentrified out of them by rich people who see the writing on the wall.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Are they keeping up with the Alex Jones trial(s)?

I don't know. I'm not going to ask. I keep all my conversation 100% work related and struggle to understand what provokes him to utter his boomerisms. If he mentions Alex Jones at all I'll take note.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god no, don't ask. Don't commit that level of self harm.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm sure that's a reason why fried chicken is a large part of the culture, but I don't get why it's invoked like some huge insult. "lol they eat fried chicken and watermelon", and? You ever try fried chicken and watermelon? It's delicious.

Minstrel/blackface shows had a lot to do with it too.

I was raised Jewish in the south and a lot of the food stereotypes about Jews and Jewish food went right over my head as a kid. The black and poor white ones didn't. Got to college and it was quite the cultural exchange.

Anyway, vaguely thread relevant: I'm glad I have jobs now that let me have Yom Kippur off no questions asked instead of trying to give me the Judaism litmus test.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I brought my Drake posted:

Judaism litmus test.

How does that work? Do they peek at your weiner or what?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

That reversal is now also reversing due to climate change. Lots of previously unattractive neighborhoods inland and uphill in Miami are getting the gently caress gentrified out of them by rich people who see the writing on the wall.

If they really saw the writing on the wall they'd leave Florida

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McGavin posted:

They look for a small Kosher stamp on the body like a witch's mark.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McGavin posted:

They ask for your Mother-in-law's number, then call to ask her why you're such a disappointment.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They ask for your Mother-in-law's number, then call to ask her why you're such a disappointment.

We would all pass that test

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tactlessbastard posted:

If they really saw the writing on the wall they'd leave Florida

Are you kidding? Buying an early investment in a future island property at mainland prices is a steal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Minstrel/blackface shows had a lot to do with it too.

It’s this, one of the most (in)famous minstrel show characters had a horrifyingly racist song about how much Black people liked watermelons, it was a whole stereotype even back then.

You know it as the ice cream truck song.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

McGavin posted:

They probably just make a note of it in your file when they do the standard new hire penis inspection.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Are they keeping up with the Alex Jones trial(s)?

1000% yes.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Cyrano4747 posted:

uphill in Miami

I'll thank you not to refer to Orlando that way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Rockman Reserve posted:

It’s this, one of the most (in)famous minstrel show characters had a horrifyingly racist song about how much Black people liked watermelons, it was a whole stereotype even back then.

You know it as the ice cream truck song.

To be fair, Turkey In the Straw existed in non-racist form before the insanely racist lyrics

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Skrill.exe posted:

They probably just make a note of it in your file when they do the standard new hire penis inspection.

I heard you're supposed to include a picture of your penis in your resume now.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

McGavin posted:

I never had a bat mitzvah because my conservative Jewish mother didn't think girls should have them, so apparently this makes me not Jewish? Or something? I also don't look Jewish or act Jewish according to previous workplace supervisors. I've also been accused of making up Yom Kippur because the only Jewish holiday people know is Hanukkah, if that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

McGavin posted:

5 pages? I thought the average was 4? This is very unsettling.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Last night the restaurant manager almost killed the head chef with a CO2 gas leak in the walk in. Lol. This clownshoe rear end operation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So you're saying that your two greatest work enemies will now be at each other's throats?
Progress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

McGavin posted:

Weird I'm not getting any call backs.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It has to be a penis with an education.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plan R posted:

It has to be a penis with an education.

You'd think with how often he sends it to finishing school it'd have one

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've also been accused of making up Yom Kippur

Do you work in Springfield elementary school?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Last night the restaurant manager almost killed the head chef with a CO2 gas leak in the walk in. Lol. This clownshoe rear end operation.

You can't ever let these people know how much entertainment they provide us, as much as I'd like the "Get well soon!" card to be signed on our behalf.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

You can't ever let these people know how much entertainment they provide us, as much as I'd like the "Get well soon!" card to be signed on our behalf.

It wasn't even fatal enough. Basically I came in to grab a growler for a sample to bring to a craft beer place. The restaurant manager is like "There's a problem with the CO2. Can you fix it?" and the head chef says he went in there and almost passed out because it was filled with CO2. There were two CO2 canisters covered in frost and the regulator was completely iced over, like this

I asked if they had tightened the nut enough. So I secured it really tight on another canister and went around. Gas levels on the kegs were zero. I thought it was that they hadn't tightened the nut enough. But now I realize it was because he had left the valve open to a keg coupler that wasn't attached to anything. Before I closed the valve the kegs in the gas line before that line were fine all others wouldn't retain pressure, after I closed it the pressures after that line suddenly went up. Also, the regulator and the hose leading from it to the kegs was iced over, meaning compressed CO2 was flowing through at a very high rate.

Dude blasted through two gas canisters without thinking about any of this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It wasn't even fatal enough. Basically I came in to grab a growler for a sample to bring to a craft beer place. The restaurant manager is like "There's a problem with the CO2. Can you fix it?" and the head chef says he went in there and almost passed out because it was filled with CO2. There were two CO2 canisters covered in frost and the regulator was completely iced over, like this

I asked if they had tightened the nut enough. So I secured it really tight on another canister and went around. Gas levels on the kegs were zero. I thought it was that they hadn't tightened the nut enough. But now I realize it was because he had left the valve open to a keg coupler that wasn't attached to anything. Before I closed the valve the kegs in the gas line before that line were fine all others wouldn't retain pressure, after I closed it the pressures after that line suddenly went up. Also, the regulator and the hose leading from it to the kegs was iced over, meaning compressed CO2 was flowing through at a very high rate.

the people in the osha thread all got chills and don’t know why

for context enclosed spaces with an oxygen displacement gas is such an efficient killer it usually get multiple people unalived when an incident with it occurs

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

for context enclosed spaces with an oxygen displacement gas is such an efficient killer it usually get multiple people unalived when an incident with it occurs

Yeah. It's real bad.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

champagne posting posted:

Not quite a gas displacement thing, but I always found this morbidly fascinating http://web.archive.org/web/20210620052654/http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm actually surprised someone didn't die or at least get hospitalized.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dumb poo poo at work: I'm actually surprised someone didn't die or at least get hospitalized.

plz mods

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least it was CO2. If it was N2 you wouldn't even notice and just fall asleep for good.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 24, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My work has set up a brand new system on which we document all of our job planning and then the job itself. No one has had any training on how to use it.

To make sure everything is properly checked, you can't set out your plan for the job until you've put in all the information and risk assessment and had a manager and partner authorise it on the system

Then, you can't update or edit the actual work programme for the job until the plan has been authorised.

The manager is on holiday for two weeks and hasn't signed poo poo. On Monday I'm off to the client's office with two staff, one of whom is brand new, to do all the work :shepface:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Sorry, the work hasn't been signed off yet"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Won't link, but there's a video of some dumb fucks in hazmat suits dunking CO2 into a hot tub as a party trick.

One guy jumps into it... and he doesn't come out.

vvvv: Suffocation. It was in Russia.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 24, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Won't link, but there's a video of some dumb fucks in hazmat suits dunking CO2 into a hot tub as a party trick.

One guy jumps into it... and he doesn't come out.

What precisely happens when you do this?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My friend I know your workplace is a clown show in general and you may be desensitised to nonsense but I cannot emphasise enough that this could have easily resulted in one or more fatalities and was murderously negligent. Depleted atmospheres kill people all the time and are something you cannot gently caress around with. This incident needs actual consequences for those involved you can’t brush it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mushroom-farm-deaths-avoidable-inquest-told-again-1.1141595

This kind of thing is horrible where rescuers go in and immediately die. First responders can only wait outside and prevent more people from going in. I would be very mad that there are no safety protocols to prevent this from happening in my workplace.