Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

donotpost posted:

she doesn't have motivations

Omniscience doesn't mean she has no desires or emotions, just that she knows all of that is already written down on a script. The alt text shows that Jadis is in pain due to being all-knowing, so it's not as though she's just a completely emotionless being following directions, and I think it's intentional on Abaddon's part to show that Jadis has this sliver of individuality inside her. She's not purely an extension of the machine, deep down she may also want to break free out of it but she can't.

So my reading is that Jadis's want isn't to break Allison Jobu Tupaki-style, even if she already sees the outcome of her actions. I think she showed Allison the machine because she wants Allison to "choose breakfast" in spite of the knowledge and not just due to ignorance. She wants Allison to be the idiot from the three men on a desert tale, even though she herself was the one who curled up to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I'm a little confused by Jadis saying Allison still has a choice. So did she not hit Allison with the full "I" whammy or something?

I mean just because all roads lead to the same place doesn't mean there's different options.

Like as you approach your midlife crisis, you can either get the Camaro, the Harley or the boat. Same result in all cases, but a different path to travel.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jadis had a motivation and that is death, which starts for her when Allison enjoys a slice of toast.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Maybe with some marmalade or a soft boiled egg.

What I'm saying is eat the eggs Allison

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ah allison my daughter shes wasting away, all skin and bones. :cry:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jadis is 100% speaking the language of grief counseling here. Allison is intentionally choosing to embrace her suffering by willfully clinging to her pain. It is not pre-ordained (from her perspective) that she must suffering unbearable despair, this is allison's choice to make herself suffer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

blizzardvizard posted:

The alt text shows that Jadis is in pain due to being all-knowing,

This made me check the alt text for the most recent update, and it seems to confirm some earlier speculation... :v:

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, I had a similar thought when I saw the shot of her in a tubed-up hospitalized state. Maybe the events were long-planned, but the medical focus of their depiction might come from a more recent experience.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Get in the breakfast nook, Allison.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1573389293812588544

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who dat ninja

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
zaid?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ah, finally, Zaid's finished his training and ready to take up Allison's fight and put Jagg down for good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It looks like a proto-Zoss. Same complexion, eye color, and earrings. Could also be Zaid, who may in turn be a proto-Zoss.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I figure that at this point we're unlikely to be introducing brand new characters, so I'm either forgetting someone or that's most likely Zaid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's Breakfast

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
i can't believe Operant would skip Zaid's totally kick-rear end training montage.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mr. Lobe posted:

It looks like a proto-Zoss. Same complexion, eye color, and earrings. Could also be Zaid, who may in turn be a proto-Zoss.

Zaid being Zoss would certainly be a funny twist.

Hm... Which would give new meaning to the old Zoss-y looking Alison from a while back.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Zaid got a glowup I see

my dad posted:

Hm... Which gives new meaning to the old Zoss-y looking Alison from a while back.

I thought Zaid being Zoss was kind of implicit? Or am I mixing up weird offwall theories with the text again

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

I can understand why Operant choose not to update this sequence on his regular scheduling. The pacing is a bit slow for the regular schedule.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Forget all that, it looks like Allison is finally Choosing Breakfast!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

RoboCicero posted:

I think she just likes oranges

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

my dad posted:

Hm... Which would give new meaning to the old Zoss-y looking Alison from a while back.

there was one really striking visual in the last book i think. I'll go dig it up. Zaid standing in front of Zoss in the same pose holding the same items (i think).

e:
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/breaker-of-infinities-2-46/ it may be this one. It's been a while since I've seen it and i remember it differently than this. But I think in the first panel the figure in the foreground on the right could be Zaid. Or I just misremembered. The last one probably.

Draadnagel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 23, 2022

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

RBA Starblade posted:

That's Breakfast

Some might call him a snack

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Hot take, Jadis is trying to discourage Allison from fighting because she is comfortable in her omniscience and if Allison gets off the fight it's going to diverge from the known fixed timeline she presently enjoys perfect knowledge of. If it diverges, she literally won't know what to do/what she does. So she knows it's going to happen but she also doesn't want to it to happen, thus what she (Jadis) does is fail to get Allison to quit.

Alternatively she can only see doing what you're supposed to as not doing anything, and doing things is explicitly what you do when you don't do what you do, which Allison is doing by rejecting breakfast.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Paramemetic posted:

Hot take, Jadis is trying to discourage Allison from fighting because she is comfortable in her omniscience and if Allison gets off the fight it's going to diverge from the known fixed timeline she presently enjoys perfect knowledge of. If it diverges, she literally won't know what to do/what she does. So she knows it's going to happen but she also doesn't want to it to happen, thus what she (Jadis) does is fail to get Allison to quit.

Alternatively she can only see doing what you're supposed to as not doing anything, and doing things is explicitly what you do when you don't do what you do, which Allison is doing by rejecting breakfast.

It's not possible to diverge from Jadis' foreknowledge, there is a single predetermined timeline that can't be changed. Regardless of whatever's left of Jadis as an individual, the only reason she does or says anything is because she saw herself doing it when she went into the machine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Nothing like getting over losing your gf like getting rescued by your ex bf. It's his turn anyway.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

It's the most important meal of the day. Maybe. I think the consensus on that might have changed at some point. But she should still eat it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

So she knows it's going to happen but she also doesn't want to it to happen

I think the main difficulty of the entire polemic about her dialogue, outside Operant doing further elaboration, is that we don't have any idea of what Jadis' inner discourse is, basically. We do have hints (like when she is crying), but as many posters elaborated before, she has been subsumed by the knowledge and self-obliterated the ego in subjective destitution

imho, what would be very very interesting to see is what is the catch - if there's one - of what "omniscience" entails here. To know everything that is possible to know leaves out the unfathomable, unconceivable, etc. The unconscious, the part of ourselves that is fundamentally out of reach of rational knowledge, falls outside that purview. My personal ridiculous hypothesis is that the shadow-thing here

is Jadis' unconscious, her drive/desire/animus/etc and maybe the current bearer of the word Mind, rebelling against her all-knowing self, in a far more extreme way than what happens with everybody with behaviors that go against what they are trying to achieve lmao

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I think she just likes oranges

The first thing you fight is scurvy

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i don't get it, why wasn't there a little "The End, thanks for reading" after she Chooses Breakfast?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

zaid isnt literally zoss, the whole point of the cycle stuff is zoss constantly just kept picking the same kind of dudes (who were exactly like him)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow I can't believe Zaid merged with Princess and 10 Vigilant Gaze and became cool.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The inciting incident of this whole comic was Zoss finally discovering a new type of guy (a woman)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I think the main difficulty of the entire polemic about her dialogue, outside Operant doing further elaboration, is that we don't have any idea of what Jadis' inner discourse is, basically. We do have hints (like when she is crying), but as many posters elaborated before, she has been subsumed by the knowledge and self-obliterated the ego in subjective destitution

imho, what would be very very interesting to see is what is the catch - if there's one - of what "omniscience" entails here. To know everything that is possible to know leaves out the unfathomable, unconceivable, etc. The unconscious, the part of ourselves that is fundamentally out of reach of rational knowledge, falls outside that purview. My personal ridiculous hypothesis is that the shadow-thing here

is Jadis' unconscious, her drive/desire/animus/etc and maybe the current bearer of the word Mind, rebelling against her all-knowing self, in a far more extreme way than what happens with everybody with behaviors that go against what they are trying to achieve lmao

i'd forgotten about shadow-jadis from that cover and i think you might be on the right track

for all the talk of Jadis being dead and this kind of unthinking machine executing a script, it sure still seems like there is someone trapped in there, experiencing her own inability to do anything. the extent to which that is still "Jadis" might be questionable, but it does seem like there's someone feeling in there

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 24, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Draadnagel posted:

there was one really striking visual in the last book i think. I'll go dig it up. Zaid standing in front of Zoss in the same pose holding the same items (i think).

e:
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/breaker-of-infinities-2-46/ it may be this one. It's been a while since I've seen it and i remember it differently than this. But I think in the first panel the figure in the foreground on the right could be Zaid. Or I just misremembered. The last one probably.

There was a bit where this

Was immediately followed by this

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Allison, you should probably eat something, your arm

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Frionnel posted:

Allison, you should probably eat something, your arm

If I know my anime - and I do - she will be restored not only to full power, but to greater power than she ever had before, by eating fifty pounds of food in one sitting.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Read six billion bummers.

Comic depressing.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I am so confused by the symbolism of choosing breakfast being linked to giving up.

Like Allison is tremblingly reaching out for it as if to symbolize she's at breaking point, but this is literally a tool to combat depression. It's completely backwards and I feel like a jerk for pointing it out, but it's been a week and I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nilbop posted:

I am so confused by the symbolism of choosing breakfast being linked to giving up.

Like Allison is tremblingly reaching out for it as if to symbolize she's at breaking point, but this is literally a tool to combat depression. It's completely backwards and I feel like a jerk for pointing it out, but it's been a week and I'm so confused.

Yeah. I didn't make that connection either but that definitely seems to be the case with how this page is set up. It does make Jadis' insistence that she have breakfast make more sense though.

I wonder if it's a lotus eaters type deal.