Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This week on Foob: A Very Special series on police brutality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This week on Foob: A Very Special series on police brutality and why it's the teenagers' own fault.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 2, 1939)

My brain saw that one kid as having a weasel’s head and it’s still hurting me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FUaPpb9ees

O no Aaron you got beat to the punch by an MTV ad a year earlier

Hey this was actually a clever turn

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CzarChasm posted:

What does that phrase "Niggly as an all black front row". It sounds racist, but I can't parse it.

In another, sideways related story about poor timing, JFK and Rocky and Bullwinkle I have this. R&B was hugely popular and there was a chapter of the show which took place in the fictional state of Moosylvania. Fans wrote in tons of letters talking about the fairytale land. The show runners managed to find and purchase a strip of land in the middle of a lake between Minnesota and Canada, and they decided to petition the government for statehood. Just a big goof publicity stunt, as the strip of land was too small to have any population. So the show runners went cross country, gaining signatures, with the idea of ending the tour at the white house, and presenting their petition to JFK directly. Unfortunately, while they were crisscrossing the country, the Cuban Missile Crisis was happening, and they were promptly, and rudely turned away by White House security.

https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/when-statehood-for-moosylvania-was-thwarted-by-the-cuban-missile-crisis/
Then, later, JFK was assassinated. Coincidence? You be the judge!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

For the record, Snuffleupagus has been visible and recognized-by-adults member of Seasame Street since 1985.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (July 2-8, 1984)

Bullwinkle

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Cthulhu and Girl

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Of course Charlotte has a sister, of course she does. She showed up in the Case Of The Simple Soul, but her first appearance was way back in 2005. What do you mean, she looked completely different, I can't see it myself.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

you sure about that?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

loving NONE, DIANA. FOR THE LAST YEAR NO PROGRESS WHATSOEVER

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

Why did he go from a ..bear? to human. I'm pretty sure I've seen monkeys and apes in this comic.
gently caress you Holbrook.

He was (hypotehtically) a rabbit/fox hybrid. So long ears, paw pads, stuff like that. He looks more like a bear here because he was as metnioend earlier, his ears and stuff were shrinking

he's turning into a human because his mom is actually a human turned rabbit.
duh

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

On vacation so I won’t be reading or responding, but by God I’ll be posting.

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Maybe it's just because I haven't heard this version before, but "June and January" makes it sound way worse than "May to December".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 19-21, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (January 15-17, 1920; timg'd for incidental invocation of the usual issues)

Dok's Dippy Ditchweed (May 13, 1914; timg'd because this one bugs me too)

Little Lefty (May 27-29, 1937)

Blondie From Zero (November 17-19, 1932)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Blake rudely interrupts Kelly, or Mike decides to head into the lion's mouth, or FAKE NEWS!!!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 07, 1953)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Uh-oh, Val.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
His three toed paw just magically turns into a five toed foot. No actual explanation, just pure magic. loving Holbrook, man.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would have thought Safe Havens made it abundantly clear Holbrook doesn't give a good god drat about biology or the workings thereof.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 17, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Reusing the same storyline for the past two years is a might bold way to quiet quit your job as a writer.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

this mf said "vengance"

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
every time i accidentally read a holbrook cartoon i wish more and more for the man to end up with his hands in a woodchipper and tried for crimes against art, logic and humanity.

gently caress i hate him so much

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hattie Masters posted:

every time i accidentally read a holbrook cartoon i wish more and more for the man to end up with his hands in a woodchipper and tried for crimes against art, logic and humanity.

gently caress i hate him so much

exactly, keep shoveling the garbage in my mouth

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

When will he tell the baby it's heriditary?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I legit have to wonder how much of a real thing "porch pirates" are.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hostile V posted:

It's a real thing. People get stuff swiped from their doorsteps all the time in my city.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When I lived on the other side of town, FedEx / ups just flat-out refused to leave packages at my door because of the number of thefts in the area. I had to pick them up at the processing center the next town over. Big annoyance.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This was my standard for whether I needed a new phone, but it turns out that my ancient 3G slider phone wasn't going to cut the mustard in 2022 and beyond.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hostile V posted:

Extremely real. I live on a high traffic street so I've only been hit once (and they dumped it over a neighbor's fence because it wasn't worth anything to resell) but deeper in the neighborhood it's weekly if not more.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As long as we're talking about crimes against storytelling logic: A Suitably Stupid Ending. At least I hope it's ending.

In case this is our last chance, here's to Mitchell Knox, a strong contender for the most hilariously incoherent writing for a new character of 2022, and we still never found out why he became a John Darling mega-fanboy, which strongly implies that it would've been inexplicable. The only genuine emotion in this silly story arc was over real life children's show hosts, and none of that had anything to do with anything. Bad writing, bad characterization, bad character art (because don't think I didn't notice he lost his dentures in the middle of yesterday's strip), bad bad bad.

So. Wonder what they're going to do next week?

Crankshaft, on the other hand, just goes for "trite". Just...industry-standard trite.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (September 27, 1975)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 26, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 4, 1939)