Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Blind Rasputin posted:

The master of my Masonic lodge was in the military and one time we were talking about stolen valor stuff and his take on it was really interesting. He was a “paper pusher” in logistics and is quite open about how he never even left the United States. But he was still in the military and assuredly did something that was important in many small and big ways. He says one issue with these stolen valor people is that a lot of them were in jobs like his, they get out and see all the positive praise the actually deployed shooters get, the “hero and bravery” stuff, and somewhere in their warped mind they start asking themselves “well what about me?” Like, they feel entirely unrecognized and left out of the general public praise for the pipe hitters. They want in on it. So they start misrepresenting what they did in the military and it just snowballs all the gently caress of the way from there. Watching that Don Shipley guy, a lot of the stolen valor idiots he goes after fall into this group. They’ll have been a petty officer or whatever on some ship that hung out on the east coast for a year and turn that into “deployed with navy seals” because one time a seal was in the cafeteria with them.

But there seems to be plenty of others that are a) insane and never even attempted to join the military and build some wild bullshit persons or b) washed out extremely early but cannot ever, ever, admit to themselves their failures so instead hide behind a bunch of increasingly bigger lies to prevent ego implosion.

Empty platitudes don’t mean anything.

I agree that I mostly feel sorry for “stolen valor” types because their lives must be total poo poo. I say that as someone who was dumb enough to stay enlisted for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh cool so it's loving worthless since EOs get erased by the supreme court all the time, right?

"We hereby vacate this EO on the grounds that Trump would reap what he sowed and that is just unconscionable."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh cool so it's loving worthless since EOs get erased by the supreme court all the time, right?

More simple than that. Anything that constrains the executive branch doesn’t apply to the president.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/adamkinzinger/status/1573412847052550145?s=46&t=KXP8ndWdICj7epnVM3A4ww

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Arrath posted:

This reminds me of a post I saw re: "dreaming about being in high school even though I'm 40"

One guy commented about having dreams about being back in, and even while dreaming thinking "There is no way I was dumb enough to reenlist what the gently caress is going on"

lol I have dreams like that and I'm always like, slightly excited but mostly really disappointed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Blind Rasputin posted:

pipe hitters.

I love that marcellus wallace saying he was going to get some crackheads that will do anything for a buck has been misinterpreted by white people so badly. I’m not faulting you personally, but wanted to point out the origins of the term. I laugh every time I see dumb poo poo like “pipe hitters union” because they’re calling themselves crackheads.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are definitely loadmasters doing top secret poo poo.

Not a ton, but the poo poo exists.

They’re all in selectively manned units, usually all NCO’s, and nobody that was an E-2 at his 4 year separation point with a bad RE code and 0 loving medals to show for his service even knows about these units, let alone what or where or how they do their secret squirrel poo poo.

Also I don’t think he was a loadmaster? I think he was an LRS troop? The ones in charge of doing the physical labor of loading and unloading. Because loadmasters definitely get time in country. So do the LRS aerial port airmen but that’s not guaranteed for them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, that Gaetz won’t face charges article is a republican writer writing that republican former prosecutors are saying that he shouldn’t be charged. No one from the DoJ is talking to that jackass at the Washington Post. It’s the same guy who wrote about “DoJ leaks” that Cannon used as a basis for the special master.

I don’t believe gaetz will be charged, but that wapo article is hot garbage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, that Gaetz won’t face charges article is a republican writer writing that republican former prosecutors are saying that he shouldn’t be charged. No one from the DoJ is talking to that jackass at the Washington Post. It’s the same guy who wrote about “DoJ leaks” that Cannon used as a basis for the special master.

I don’t believe gaetz will be charged, but that wapo article is hot garbage.

Jesus Christ that’s garbage editorial work by WaPo.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Blind Rasputin posted:

The master of my Masonic lodge was in the military and one time we were talking about stolen valor stuff and his take on it was really interesting. He was a “paper pusher” in logistics and is quite open about how he never even left the United States. But he was still in the military and assuredly did something that was important in many small and big ways. He says one issue with these stolen valor people is that a lot of them were in jobs like his, they get out and see all the positive praise the actually deployed shooters get, the “hero and bravery” stuff, and somewhere in their warped mind they start asking themselves “well what about me?” Like, they feel entirely unrecognized and left out of the general public praise for the pipe hitters. They want in on it. So they start misrepresenting what they did in the military and it just snowballs all the gently caress of the way from there. Watching that Don Shipley guy, a lot of the stolen valor idiots he goes after fall into this group. They’ll have been a petty officer or whatever on some ship that hung out on the east coast for a year and turn that into “deployed with navy seals” because one time a seal was in the cafeteria with them.

But there seems to be plenty of others that are a) insane and never even attempted to join the military and build some wild bullshit persons or b) washed out extremely early but cannot ever, ever, admit to themselves their failures so instead hide behind a bunch of increasingly bigger lies to prevent ego implosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLX6vrwEw-g

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Jesus Christ that’s garbage editorial work by WaPo.

All editorials are garbage, more or less. Never mistake them for actual reporting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All editorials are garbage, more or less. Never mistake them for actual reporting.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I mean regular Editorial work associated with news reporting. Your point is quite correct though about op-Ed’s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WaPo had this advice column last week that raised a few eyebrows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/advice/2022/09/17/ask-amy-cooked-unidentified-mushrooms/ posted:

Dear Amy: I have a group of three friends (we’re all male) with whom I enjoy one overnight each month at a cabin in the woods.

We take turns cooking. Recently two of the guys made a spaghetti dinner for us.

The next morning they told us that they had included mushrooms in the sauce that they had found behind the woodpile.

I was horrified. I have a degree in biology and taught environmental science for over 30 years — neither of these guys has experience with mycology or taxonomy of fungi — nor could they even name the species of mushrooms that were used. When I expressed my dismay, they were defensive ( “My wife said they were okay!”) and eventually turned to taunting.

At the next overnight, I questioned what ingredients were included in the meal. Realizing the ridiculousness of this endeavor to be safe and wishing to avoid further ridicule, I began to bring my own food under the declaration that I prefer to eat later in the evening than they do.

Amy, they are still making jokes about it and have never shown any contrition, much less offered an apology.

Two questions: Was my reaction unfounded (I can’t imagine it was), and do you have a suggestion for resolving this through communication?

— Avoiding Amanita

Avoiding: Your reaction was not unfounded, but your overreaction is.

Your friends made a potentially dangerous choice; as it turned out, everyone got lucky and no one got sick. You conveyed your educated and legitimate concern, and you know your friends heard you because they resorted to taunting you for taking your position.
I hope that what you describe as “taunting” was a milder teasing.

You certainly have the right to bring your own food to these gatherings, but you aren’t being honest about your reason (and “eating later” doesn’t necessarily make sense). And — every time you do this, you revive the original issue, which is that you don’t trust your friends to offer a safely prepared meal.

In my opinion, you should make a choice to trust your friends’ food prep, but this would require you to relax about an issue you obviously take extremely seriously.

You might flip this issue on its side if you more or less dove into the heart of it. Have some T-shirts made for the group: “Fun Guys Forage Fungi.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love that marcellus wallace saying he was going to get some crackheads that will do anything for a buck has been misinterpreted by white people so badly. I’m not faulting you personally, but wanted to point out the origins of the term. I laugh every time I see dumb poo poo like “pipe hitters union” because they’re calling themselves crackheads.

I'm surprised, shocked even, that SEALS/SOF would describe themselves as violent degenerate addicts.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Platystemon posted:

that's grounds to reconsider a friendship right there.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

iirc he had on marine bloodstripe pants and some black steel toed boots.

Regular AF trousers but bloused into desert boots.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Its so close to seemingly like he's doing a bit, but I know in my heart of hearts he's not

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, aren't movement orders classified secret?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you didn’t earn your stripes with conspicuous gallantry in the armed forces of Corellia

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

McNally posted:

Thank you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

More simple than that. Anything that constrains the executive branch doesn’t apply to the president.

"If the president does it, it's not illegal."

Platystemon posted:

I'd probably find a different group to charge my crystals with.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

that's grounds to reconsider a friendship right there.

Alternately, if they were the right kind of mushrooms that one sometimes finds randomly growing, it could have been a bonding experience they would remember for the rest of their lives.

McNally posted:

I’m the Green Beret sitting on the table, just waiting to liber some oppressos.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm the dayroom xbox 360 controller.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the west/south/southeast coasts of Africa in his hairline.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’m the west/south/southeast coasts of Africa in his hairline.

holy poo poo lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

McNally posted:

So this guy showed up to his nephew’s boot camp graduation dressed like this, and then what?

Did some drill instructor just start tearing into him? I need to know this story.

e: corrected stupid autocorrect “still instructed”

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 24, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kurdikermashani/status/1573448166690947072?s=46&t=RHfmtB4wQO92ioBF926avg

An IRGC building also got lit the gently caress up and apparently more have been too

https://twitter.com/himarshaver/status/1573457458713985028?s=46&t=RHfmtB4wQO92ioBF926avg

https://twitter.com/pictures0yemen/status/1573462797505253376?s=46&t=RHfmtB4wQO92ioBF926avg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrMojok posted:

So this guy showed up to his nephew’s boot camp graduation dressed like this, and then what?

Did some still instructed just start tearing into him? I need to know this story.

It was his step-kid's army boot graduation at Jackson, that I recall hearing. Iirc his step-kid was only about a decade younger than him. My memory is he was pulled aside by a drill, got a talking to by MPs and thrown off post, but that's been many years ago now. Imagine being his step-kid.

Honestly forgot all about the dayroom photo until McNally posted it. Lol.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Please excuse my direct link of a Donnie video, but I believe you need to know that the former president likes butt stuff

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1573462833064443904?t=3Ho5FgEShtNDMpw-Rsx7iQ&s=19

this is a direct quote I loving swear to god posted:

... we have to keep our country gape buhp buhp but it's not, I mean, for some reason

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Air Force failures love Q-Anon. Ashley Babbit (who was Capitally Domed in the Capital Dome) was a 15 year E-4 flight equipment tech who mainlined that poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sacrist65 posted:

Air Force failures love Q-Anon. Ashley Babbit (who was Capitally Domed in the Capital Dome) was a 15 year E-4 flight equipment tech who mainlined that poo poo.

How loving long does the AF let E4s languish before tossing them? Goddamn.

I think army was throwing them out at 10 years unless they were promotable in an MOS that never came off 798 points.

gently caress, I knew an E5P that was at 18 years when he pissed it away with a DUI in Korea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sacrist65 posted:

*capitol dome but otherwise I love the phrase

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Please excuse my direct link of a Donnie video, but I believe you need to know that the former president likes butt stuff

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1573462833064443904?t=3Ho5FgEShtNDMpw-Rsx7iQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/theAntenna_uk/status/1573220661790744577?t=z1KKcx0Z-WQZ5OydiMriTA&s=19

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Frankly, I'm relieved to see that Trump still insists that his legal team is loyalty tested and is 100% on board with his bullshit. It ensures the lowest possible quality of representation and the best outcome for the Republic.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s starting.

https://twitter.com/fridaghitis/status/1573490871726653443?s=46&t=a0WuY4SLQZPWL2oIFKzJEQ

https://twitter.com/fridaghitis/status/1573485855993372685?s=46&t=a0WuY4SLQZPWL2oIFKzJEQ

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

So hard right now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

It really doesn't make any other sense the way they're using it

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/MikePerryavatar/status/1573430988642091008

I don't think a comment is really needed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe those guys should stick to mining for mithril and leave human matters to humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So hard right now.

Not as hard as the Iranians.

Cops learned what happens when the people you oppress (like real not in the deluded maga sense have guns. Lots of dead cops who got shot. I’ll post it as code :nms: but I think it’s extremely newsworthy.

code:
https://twitter.com/aaron_evarts/status/1573312359157960706?s=46&t=yqP7t5GpZaBU3NnBqC4hAw
code:
https://twitter.com/aaron_evarts/status/1573457794287644672?s=46&t=yqP7t5GpZaBU3NnBqC4hAw
This whole thread is a great source, keep in mind, the above video is part of that thread.

https://twitter.com/aaron_evarts/status/1573309974612418562

https://twitter.com/aaron_evarts/status/1573337541897768961?s=46&t=yqP7t5GpZaBU3NnBqC4hAw

Assahola is learning about finding out and loving around.

https://twitter.com/aaron_evarts/status/1573682899949232128?s=46&t=yqP7t5GpZaBU3NnBqC4hAw

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 24, 2022