Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HopperUK posted:

Who are we talking about? I can't find anyone from MASH in the listings but to be fair I am very tired.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Morgan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh, well that's disappointing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I can't believe somebody from MASH has issues with women.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
hey why do they call him trapper anyway?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

christmas boots posted:

hey why do they call him trapper anyway?

MASH novel posted:

His nickname comes from an incident in which he was caught having sex with a woman in the lavatory aboard a Boston & Maine Railway train: she claimed in her defense that "he trapped me!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:ohno:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Yeah, the book and the movie both have issues with racism and misogyny, especially the latter.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The first 3 seasons of the show are pretty gross too but it gets better from there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The first 3 seasons of the show are pretty gross too but it gets better from there.

Yeah, I love MASH but hoo boy it starts rough. I've seen lots of people online complain that it's only good for two years and then it wasn't funny any more, and it feels like it's because they enjoyed all the misogyny and they miss it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lmao Dragnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw

Yeah instant orange juice is totally contributing to this country's downfall. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

Yeah instant orange juice is totally contributing to this country's downfall. :v:

Quite the eyebrow raise on the no quarantine signs huh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah, the book and the movie both have issues with racism and misogyny, especially the latter.

Racism? Please, woke types will get offended over everything. What’s racist about a black character named Spearchucker Jones?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope I can one day love a woman as much as Jack Webb hated hippies.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

christmas boots posted:

Racism? Please, woke types will get offended over everything. What’s racist about a black character named Spearchucker Jones?

That's like the one scene from the movie I've ever actually seen, someone was channel surfing at work and the movie was on. He said something like "You can call me whatever you want as long as it isn't Late For Dinner."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

holy gently caress, how many goddamn times have I heard a speech like this in my life

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The weirdest part is how bored he sounds while delivering it. You’d think he would relish the chance to tell off the youth in a monologue he wrote.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

As true today as when it was written

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I AM GRANDO posted:

The weirdest part is how bored he sounds while delivering it. You’d think he would relish the chance to tell off the youth in a monologue he wrote.

He's clearly on barbiturates. Gotta take the edge off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's clearly on barbiturates. Gotta take the edge off.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I rewatched Tropic Thunder recently, and I don't think you could say the blackface has aged, because you could have the same arguments about whether it was appropriate then as now. But there's a scene where the actors are talking about their love lives, and they get the rapper character, Alpa, to admit that there's someone he likes. He then lets slip that his crush's name is Lance, and the other characters react like he said something shocking and taboo. If the movie came out this year, they probably would've been tripped up for half a second, if that, and then gone back to trying to give him relationship advice.

Also, the treatment of intellectually disabled people was kind of unpleasant to sit through. If you want a picture of American comedy in 2008, imagine Robert Downey Jr in blackface, saying the r word, over and over.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Aces High posted:

holy gently caress, how many goddamn times have I heard a speech like this in my life

"You're dissatisfied with the way the world is? Listen, bub. When i was your age, there were things my generation thought could be better. And then we strived, and we fixed things, and made the world a better place. So now, you're trying to do the same thing? Make the world even better still? No, this time around, that's bad, for some reason I will not explain. Now is as good as it should ever get."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

At the end when he's like "it has for over 400 years" what's he getting at? Jamestown was 1607 that's like less than 350 years from dragnet but I'm pretty terrible and math and also at listening to boring poo poo like dragnet.

That's my one dragnet memory, it'd come on and there wasn't anything else on either so I'd be all "whelp, time to be bored I guess"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

All the comments gushing over it too, ugh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shwoo posted:

I rewatched Tropic Thunder recently, and I don't think you could say the blackface has aged, because you could have the same arguments about whether it was appropriate then as now. But there's a scene where the actors are talking about their love lives, and they get the rapper character, Alpa, to admit that there's someone he likes. He then lets slip that his crush's name is Lance, and the other characters react like he said something shocking and taboo. If the movie came out this year, they probably would've been tripped up for half a second, if that, and then gone back to trying to give him relationship advice.

Also, the treatment of intellectually disabled people was kind of unpleasant to sit through. If you want a picture of American comedy in 2008, imagine Robert Downey Jr in blackface, saying the r word, over and over.

Their reactions are kinda the point, though fair. Hell, they could have mixed it up a bit, though I can't imagine relationship advice from that lot would be useful. The ending does at least has Alpa Chino sitting next to Lance.

Also while it absolutely gets used in the worst possible ways, the entire thing with Simple Jack (even compared outright to I Am Sam) is specifically pointing out Hollywood's treatment of mental disability and how showing it as anything other than endearing quirkiness suddenly makes people very uncomfortable. Pretty sure those bits are deliberately meant to be as cringeworthy as possible... which I'm not sure helps it any, but still.

Now, Satan's Alley has just aged in a different way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

"You're dissatisfied with the way the world is? Listen, bub. When i was your age, there were things my generation thought could be better. And then we strived, and we fixed things, and made the world a better place. So now, you're trying to do the same thing? Make the world even better still? No, this time around, that's bad, for some reason I will not explain. Now is as good as it should ever get."

I looked it up and the plotline is the youths doing petty crimes to try and go off and found their own breakaway state, so the point of the speech seems to be "push for change, because making things better is good, but do it without hurting people and do it within the system." So it's bad and ineffectual yeah but it's not "change is impossible and you kids are fools" bad. Idk, I've never watched an episode myself, just that clip and then I went looking at Wikipedia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re shocked with alpa chino because this is the kind of persona he made for himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4qjjSCB4M

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their reactions are kinda the point, though fair. Hell, they could have mixed it up a bit, though I can't imagine relationship advice from that lot would be useful. The ending does at least has Alpa Chino sitting next to Lance.

Also while it absolutely gets used in the worst possible ways, the entire thing with Simple Jack (even compared outright to I Am Sam) is specifically pointing out Hollywood's treatment of mental disability and how showing it as anything other than endearing quirkiness suddenly makes people very uncomfortable. Pretty sure those bits are deliberately meant to be as cringeworthy as possible... which I'm not sure helps it any, but still.

Now, Satan's Alley has just aged in a different way.

All those scenes were just uncomfortable when I last rewatched tropic thunder

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The faux irony that pervades much of shows like South Park hasn't aged well but Tropic Thunder wasn't that, it draws a direct line between the exploitation and simplification of the differently abled and the industry's history with blackface. The film is overtly about Hollywood's hypocrisy and exploitation from multiple angles, it's supposed to be a bit uncomfortable at times.

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Sep 24, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

christmas boots posted:

Hey! He threw the javelin in college. THAT'S how he got his name! Or so the story goes.

He ended up getting written out because the writers (falsely) believed there were no Black surgeons in Korea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

The faux irony that pervades much of shows like South Park hasn't aged well but Tropic Thunder wasn't that, it draws a direct line between the exploitation and simplification of the differently abled and the industry's history with blackface. The film is overtly about Hollywood's hypocrisy and exploitation from multiple angles, it's supposed to be a bit uncomfortable at times.
Tropic Thunder has the same problem Zoolander does in that it's made by people with really, really deep insider knowledge of the entertainment industry so the satire is way, way sharper than anything related to the plot or most of the gags, but because Stiller still has a very clownish sensibility at heart it can't help but drag everything down. I like to imagine Stiller saw Borat while making Tropic Thunder and had a massive case of "now why I can't I do that?!" gilded cage envy.

Vandar posted:

Lmao Dragnet.

It's like watching a smug bulldog eat its own poo poo.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Nameless Pete posted:

I hope I can one day love a woman as much as Jack Webb hated hippies.

Dragnet was truly the Victory March of the Squares. It's almost awe-inspiring in its singlemindedness.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

My dad was super super racist but my mom managed to hide that poo poo when we were kids/made sure he never used those words around us. Despite us watching MASH a lot, I don't remember that dude, but to be fair I also didn't care about the show, it was just what was on at dinner.

I do remember the first time I heard spearchucker; I was in middle school, and there were some white high school age kids, all relatively bad shape, talking about a new student who was super fit. They called him that term, and me being smart, and studying Greek myths nonstop, determined that word meant super athlete, like the Spartans, because who else used spears but the ancient Greeks and like in the Olympics, a spear is like a javelin right? Yes, the new student was black. No, I thankfully did not say that word to him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

All those scenes were just uncomfortable when I last rewatched tropic thunder

They were uncomfortable the first time I watched Tropic Thunder, I think that was the intended effect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You don’t remember him from MASH because he was only in the book and the movie. He never made it to the show

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

christmas boots posted:

You don’t remember him from MASH because he was only in the book and the movie. He never made it to the show

Jones? He was in six episodes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’ve already taken a position I can’t change it now

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Fighting Trousers posted:

Dragnet was truly the Victory March of the Squares. It's almost awe-inspiring in its singlemindedness.

And it inspired the Kong of Copaganda, Law and Order

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I can't tell if this has aged poorly or wonderfully but it's still probably the best thing to ever come out of Dragnet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vandar posted:

I can't tell if this has aged poorly or wonderfully but it's still probably the best thing to ever come out of Dragnet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

I think it's aged well because it knows it's ridiculous and doesn't give a gently caress. Like, I doubt they were under the impression they were being cool there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mister Kingdom posted:

He ended up getting written out because the writers (falsely) believed there were no Black surgeons in Korea.

He got wrote out largely because of backlash to the name. The "no black surgeons in Korea" thing was more of a "why are you axing the only black character on the show" CYA.