Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok, so I have a chunk of meat.
If its in a foil tray, to keep things clean, it's going to stall forever right? Because it's going to sit in it's own juices and never be able to sweat?
But then, if I wrap it the same thing will happen right?
So then is the play to put them on the rack, put the foil tray underneath to collect drippings?

I'm learning that I might just have too much anxiety to just leave it forever because after an hour or two of stall I have to futz with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god these last few degrees are taking forever

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

HootTheOwl posted:

If its in a foil tray, to keep things clean, it's going to stall forever right? Because it's going to sit in it's own juices and never be able to sweat?
So then is the play to put them on the rack, put the foil tray underneath to collect drippings?

I'm learning that I might just have too much anxiety to just leave it forever because after an hour or two of stall I have to futz with it.

I’ve never done meat in a foil tray. Over top a foil tray to catch drippings/ prevent acrid grease smoke yes: but not in it. That being said, just like wrapping the meat in foil, I’d imagine the juices heat would help cook it faster than just pure convection. Try it out if you’d like. That’s half the fun of this is just seeing what turns out and what you like!

Also I’m no scientist so don’t listen to a thing I say

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

Sweating (evaporative cooling) is the cause of the stall. If you wrap it then it holds in moisture and prevents evaporation so you can get through the stall faster. The meat will be more moist but the bark will suffer, so it’s a balancing act.

That said, I’d never smoke something in a foil tray from beginning to end. By putting it in a tray you’re preventing bark from forming on half the meat as well as cutting down on the smoke.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh my god these last few degrees are taking forever

Yuuup. You can wrap it with butcher paper. Aluminum foil works too, but kinda braises things and can ruin your bark.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

HootTheOwl posted:

The stall is caused by evaporation of the moisture in the meat. If you have it sitting in your juices, than no evaporation and it'll actually cook faster. You're effectively braising the meat though and shielding it from the smoke. So if you're looking to build a crust and get a lot of smoke I'd lose the tray.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to lose the tray and also the bottoms have the texture of utter mush

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So I bought a cheap 2nd hand gas grill, winter's coming and using my charcoal grill is too much of a PITA.

I was also thinking with the expensive rear end power we got in europe now (my power bill has jumped from 4 cents / kWh to 35 cents / kWh since late 2021) that I should consider if it's possible to insulate the fire box somehow, so it becomes more energy efficient. I might want to use it instead of the electric oven I was thinking. I am thinking maybe one could line the inside of the firebox with refractory material? I am working on experimenting with my own refractory for my sauna fireplace to raise the efficiency so maybe it can be applied here.

Propane in a bottle is 20 cents / kWh equivalent for what it's worth. Less if I get a bigger bottle, though the next size up is 33kg which is pretty large... That'd be equivalent of 16.5 cents though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I don’t know but that propane bottle is aesthetically pleasing and so is your house

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thanks, I like it too.

It's one of those fancy composite bottles. Sure it looks fancy, but it has 1kg less gas and costs more to fill than a steel model. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the old fashioned steel model for the cost alone. It's kinda annoying they try and push these new bottles on customers but don't tell you it costs more to swap them in.

I dunno if you got this in the states, but the gas dealers have been trying to scare people for years to get rid of their metal bottles and swap in composites, but people refuse to give them up.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not sure I’ve seen one of those in the States, maybe a European thing only—you’re in Finland, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno if you got this in the states, but the gas dealers have been trying to scare people for years to get rid of their metal bottles and swap in composites, but people refuse to give them up.

Wait, do you own a singular container and refill it?

In the states we trade in the container for a new one.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can refill them in the US. It’s cheaper and they fill it more full. Uhaul dealers do it here, and the pro tip is to exchange your lovely tank for a fresh new one at the swap places whenever you need.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do mean we swap them out, but I just call it a refill, as that's what we refer to it here, even though it's a swap system. But when it's time to swap in the bottles people want a metal bottle in return.

Of course there are people too who prefer the new bottles. But enough people want the metal ones that they're still here despite their doom being predicted forever.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 19, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chemmy posted:

You can refill them in the US. It’s cheaper and they fill it more full. Uhaul dealers do it here, and the pro tip is to exchange your lovely tank for a fresh new one at the swap places whenever you need.

Huh. I never knew you could do this. I always just saw them outside grocery stores and gas stations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Finding a propane refill is a bit harder than swapping them, but yeah.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I went from a house with two smokers, working in a restaurant as the prep chef running the smoked meat program with a smoker that could run 36 briskets at a time, to moving to a new city with almost no BBQ scene, living in an apartment with only two lovely built-in natgas grills that were always taken.

This has been my life for the last 18 months, but we just closed on a house, we’re in, and the new smoker gets here Thursday.

I. Cannot. loving. Wait. For this weekend.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Finding a propane refill is a bit harder than swapping them, but yeah.

I think insurance companies are also making it more difficult/expensive to do fills vs. a Blue Rhino style swap. My family has a vacation home in rural NH, the local store was just acquired and they almost immediately changed from doing fills to swaps only - the stated reason was insurance.

It sucks for that area though, because that place gets loving cold and there are people who use propane for heat during the winter with larger tanks. I'm not sure what the alternative for them is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here’s my butt from last night. 7.4lbs, 10 hours, kept it about 250, with a couple trips as high as 275. No crutch, didn’t even lift the lid once I put it on. Pulled at 201 and it was probably the best butt I’ve ever smoked. Meat was super moist and shreddable without being mushy, and the bark was on point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 19, 2022

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Looks amazing. I have never scored the cap on mine... Did you do that to help the rub penetrate?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Random Hero posted:

Looks amazing. I have never scored the cap on mine... Did you do that to help the rub penetrate?

I do it because it in my mind it should help the fat render. But honestly I'm not sure how much that helps, and I just really like the way it looks and cooks up that way.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do it because it in my mind it should help the fat render. But honestly I'm not sure how much that helps, and I just really like the way it looks and cooks up that way.

I do the same thing and that's my assumption as well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh. I never knew you could do this. I always just saw them outside grocery stores and gas stations.

I worked for a family-owned ACE hardware store that refilled bottles. You’d be surprised at how many people would have theirs refilled there on a daily basis

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think insurance companies are also making it more difficult/expensive to do fills vs. a Blue Rhino style swap. My family has a vacation home in rural NH, the local store was just acquired and they almost immediately changed from doing fills to swaps only - the stated reason was insurance.

It sucks for that area though, because that place gets loving cold and there are people who use propane for heat during the winter with larger tanks. I'm not sure what the alternative for them is.

The larger tanks typically have to be refilled by a propane service with a truck/trucks. That’s how we get our propane for cooking and heat.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 19, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Shooting Blanks posted:

My family is in rural New England. To heat your house, you usually have a huge stationary tank (either rented or purchased from the company). About once a year as needed, they send a truck to fill it. Around here they're usually called oil companies or heating oil companies even though what they're delivering is gas. Anyway, one of those companies will do it even if a local hardware or grocery store won't.

efb

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If you have a farm supply store nearby they’ll usually do propane fills also.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

life is killing me posted:

I worked for a family-owned ACE hardware store that refilled bottles. You’d be surprised at how many people would have theirs refilled there on a daily basis

The larger tanks typically have to be refilled by a propane service with a truck/trucks. That’s how we get our propane for cooking and heat.

The older parts of south Florida built prior to ~1955 typically have municipal gas systems, but there’s a ring of houses in south Florida built after the municipalities stopped expanding the gas network, but before electric appliances became the default. My parents house has a gas water heater, gas range, gas clothes dryer, and a gas fireplace, all on a truck-serviced propane tank in the yard.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Chemmy posted:

This. I switched to getting refills when I started using propane to make beer and learned 3 things.

1. Full fill is cheaper than a swap.
2. Blue rhino only fills it 2/3rds of the way. Iirc around 08 they dropped the fill level to keep the price the same.
3. You don't have to be empty to fill it and they just charge by the weight added so of you're near empty and will be near by just get it topped up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Doom Rooster posted:

I went from a house with two smokers, working in a restaurant as the prep chef running the smoked meat program with a smoker that could run 36 briskets at a time, to moving to a new city with almost no BBQ scene, living in an apartment with only two lovely built-in natgas grills that were always taken.

This has been my life for the last 18 months, but we just closed on a house, we’re in, and the new smoker gets here Thursday.

I. Cannot. loving. Wait. For this weekend.

Don't leave us hanging, what's your setup?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking 5.5 lbs of beef plate ribs this weekend, can’t wait.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

NomNomNom posted:

Don't leave us hanging, what's your setup?

I’ll post pics of the setup and ribs this weekend. If the smoker comes in…

The Home Depot tracker says that the smoker hasn’t gotten to the store yet, but it’s on schedule for delivery there… Yesterday….

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
A little broke right now so keeping it simple. Boudin, Cajun sausage, and small Chuck Roast for shredded Italian sandwiches.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

A little broke right now so keeping it simple. Boudin, Cajun sausage, and small Chuck Roast for shredded Italian sandwiches.

Nothing wrong with a chuck roast, one of my favorite things to smoke.

Putting my Dino ribs on tomorrow around 6-7am.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

Hell yeah!

Kaddish posted:

Nothing wrong with a chuck roast, one of my favorite things to smoke.

Putting my Dino ribs on tomorrow around 6-7am.

Hell yeah!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

Hell yeah!

Hell yeah!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Dunno where you guys are, but here all beef is expensive. Chuck is $5/lb, brisket is $5/lb.

So I'm doing brisket:

I trimmed away all the intercostal fat between the point and flat to make the thickness as even as possible. Smoking overnight at 250F on maple. Salt and pepper rub. Tray of trimmings going in as well to render, will wrap with some of the tallow while it rests the tomorrow.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Double post update!
Brisket turned out great, finished at 9am. Added about half a cup of the rendered fat to the foil packet when I wrapped it for resting. Rested in the oven all day, maintaining an internal temp of 160. Crust was still great, needed a serrated knife.

Pic is at dinner time:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Looks excellent!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Last night I applied my rub and marinade to the brisket and this morning I had it in the smoker at 225 by 7am.
It's now 6:20 and it's stuck at 152 degrees f.
I switched from 225 to 275 at 5.

Soon I'm going to finish it in the oven at 400 because I'm hungry and I want to eat.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

HootTheOwl posted:

Soon I'm going to finish it in the oven at 400 because I'm hungry and I want to eat.

This is why I always throw on some sausages and chicken thighs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

HootTheOwl posted:

Last night I applied my rub and marinade to the brisket and this morning I had it in the smoker at 225 by 7am.
It's now 6:20 and it's stuck at 152 degrees f.
I switched from 225 to 275 at 5.

drat dog what’s the weight on that bad boy? I’d advise you to order a pizza. Even at 400 that thing is gonna take a while to cook.