Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

A face not even Siri could love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
And here I was thinking Apple was so inclusive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CheshireCat posted:

My iPhone 14 Pro Max was delivered yesterday, set it up just fine and everything was working properly, upgraded to iOS 16.0.2, and Face ID stopped working. The camera refuses to register my face is within the required frame. Tried resetting Face ID and then tried restoring from a backup, but still no joy. Guess an Apple Store visit is in my future. :v:
Time to take it to da motherfuckin' fruit stand!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CheshireCat posted:

My iPhone 14 Pro Max was delivered yesterday, set it up just fine and everything was working properly, upgraded to iOS 16.0.2, and Face ID stopped working. The camera refuses to register my face is within the required frame. Tried resetting Face ID and then tried restoring from a backup, but still no joy. Guess an Apple Store visit is in my future. :v:

Sorry about your face.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rageaholic posted:

Time to take it to da motherfuckin' fruit stand!

da fruit stand! :xd:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

FCKGW posted:

AOD, for Apple anyways, required a display that can drop to 1hz to be able to hit the battery life they want in the battery size they have. They only put that display in the 13 Pro, and even then it o it dropped to 10hz.
Yeah, it seems like this, basically, but combined with apparently Apple had no desire to go for an Android-esque AOD experience where it’s just all black with a few choice features like clock+notification icons or whatever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mac is loving us again

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I updated to 16.0.2 and it looks like the clipboard pasting spam is still going on in the Awful app. Seemingly other posters itt had their issue corrected. So what gives?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Binary Badger posted:

Mac is loving us again

Stebe would never.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

been having an issue for months now where the messages app on my mac seems to take forever (over a day sometimes) to sync with my iphone

used to be when i got a text / imessage, i'd get a notification from messages on my macbook immediately and could respond from the computer instead of using my phone

i can still start conversations from my macbook and those seem to work normally and messages come back instantly (and appear on the iphone instantly too). but when a new number messages me or someone i haven't talked to in a while, it can take hours or days for messages to actually show it on the macbook after my phone has received it. like, as an example, this morning i got a political campaign text from a new number on my phone and messages on my macbook still doesn't show it about 6 hours later. i don't really care about that message, but it's weird it still hasn't shown up. it will probably show up sometime tomorrow.

i've tried signing in/out of icloud on both devices, and this has now persisted across two separate macbooks (my old intel 15" pro and my new m1 14" pro) and several OS updates on both the iphone 13 pro and the macbooks. when it started happening earlier this year i figured it was just some intermittent backend problem at apple, but it's been so long that it's gotta be something on my end. i just can't figure out what the hell it is.

oh, and also, clicking the "sync now" button in the messages app does not work. the button greys out for a while like it's doing something, but it does not cause the missing messages to appear.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

buglord posted:

I updated to 16.0.2 and it looks like the clipboard pasting spam is still going on in the Awful app. Seemingly other posters itt had their issue corrected. So what gives?

Same, update did not fix the problem :(

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

been having an issue for months now where the messages app on my mac seems to take forever (over a day sometimes) to sync with my iphone

used to be when i got a text / imessage, i'd get a notification from messages on my macbook immediately and could respond from the computer instead of using my phone

i can still start conversations from my macbook and those seem to work normally and messages come back instantly (and appear on the iphone instantly too). but when a new number messages me or someone i haven't talked to in a while, it can take hours or days for messages to actually show it on the macbook after my phone has received it. like, as an example, this morning i got a political campaign text from a new number on my phone and messages on my macbook still doesn't show it about 6 hours later. i don't really care about that message, but it's weird it still hasn't shown up. it will probably show up sometime tomorrow.

i've tried signing in/out of icloud on both devices, and this has now persisted across two separate macbooks (my old intel 15" pro and my new m1 14" pro) and several OS updates on both the iphone 13 pro and the macbooks. when it started happening earlier this year i figured it was just some intermittent backend problem at apple, but it's been so long that it's gotta be something on my end. i just can't figure out what the hell it is.

oh, and also, clicking the "sync now" button in the messages app does not work. the button greys out for a while like it's doing something, but it does not cause the missing messages to appear.

Sync between MacBook and iPhone for text messages (sms and imessage) has never worked consistently for me, across multiple iPhones and MBPs over the years. I just wouldn't rely on it for anything mission critical. I've tried all the usual solutions same as you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bad Purchase posted:

iOS 16 has hosed up my messages syncing among devices too. I just figured it was the iPad Beta but now alerts and unread counts do not sync between my watch/phone/iPad. I can be messaging someone on my phone, then 2 hours later I grab my iPad and I get the "36 new messages" and the banners start rolling. Hopefully the release of iPadOS 16 will help. Messages in iCloud is supposed to fix this, but alas.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

guess i was just lucky, but message sync between my iphone/macbook/ipad trio worked instantly and almost flawlessly for years, probably going all the way back to my iphone 6, and only became unreliable this year

i don't ever use an ipad anymore so i haven't checked if that still works. i think the one i have is from 2015 or so and probably doesn't get the latest ios updates anymore, so might not be a useful test anyway.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i picked up the new airpod pros - significant improvement in ANC and competitive with the Sony WF-1000XM4 without having to resort to the latter's tight earbud seal

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shrike82 posted:

i picked up the new airpod pros - significant improvement in ANC and competitive with the Sony WF-1000XM4 without having to resort to the latter's tight earbud seal

How do the new ear tips work if you have used them? I want the new ones, Amazon has them $10 off (but taxes kick it back up to MSRP...) but I don't know about the XS tips. The original Pros hurt my ears.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do the new ear tips work if you have used them? I want the new ones, Amazon has them $10 off (but taxes kick it back up to MSRP...) but I don't know about the XS tips. The original Pros hurt my ears.

i just used the default tip size that came pre-fitted - have not noticed a difference from gen 1

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

shrike82 posted:

ditto -- i find them better at the bass than my old airpods pro although they were at the genius bar and failed literally every test so i don't really want to compare since i'm planning on letting someone else have the replacement airpods pro 1

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is iPhone 11 Pro -> iPhone 14 Pro a big enough change to be worth it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SourKraut posted:

If you want more lowlight performance, yes. Otherwise, probably not. Just pay for a new battery instead.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SourKraut posted:

120Hz from the 13 Pro onwards is worth it alone imo

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

guess i was just lucky, but message sync between my iphone/macbook/ipad trio worked instantly and almost flawlessly for years, probably going all the way back to my iphone 6, and only became unreliable this year

i don't ever use an ipad anymore so i haven't checked if that still works. i think the one i have is from 2015 or so and probably doesn't get the latest ios updates anymore, so might not be a useful test anyway.

Yeah, hard to say, because I’m similar to the other poster, message sync between my iPhone and Mac has been iffy for years. I will say recently i think it’s better, but that’s anecdotal.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wonder if it could be carrier related somehow. i was on ATT all the time it was working well and switched to t-mobile when i got the 13 pro. i can’t actually remember now if it became unreliable and laggy before or after that.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

101 posted:

120Hz from the 13 Pro onwards is worth it alone imo

I hear this a lot, so maybe I'm the weirdo that doesn't notice/mind moving from my 11 to my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro screen at all.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Occasionally I start typing and the keyboard is super loud so the speaker cracks. Happened at least twice today and resolves as I’m typing.

14PM on 16.0.2

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Some on Reddit are saying that 16.0.2 didn't fix the camera shaking issue in 3rd party apps on the 14 Pro/Pro Max. The loud clicking of the OIS in Instagram is still there too, this one I can personally confirm. I blocked Instagram's camera access until this is fixed.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Occasionally I start typing and the keyboard is super loud so the speaker cracks. Happened at least twice today and resolves as I’m typing.

14PM on 16.0.2

I've had this happen too when system sounds just go bonkers loud for no reason. It's not great since some system sounds go through earbuds...

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't get loud sounds on my iphone, but i very often get hit with a max volume discord notification beep when i open my macbook lid and wake it up

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The auto-dim for Do Not Disturb is… not ideal on the Lock Screen. Might have to go and make a special DND focus screen where the time stands out a little more.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I hear this a lot, so maybe I'm the weirdo that doesn't notice/mind moving from my 11 to my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro screen at all.

Yeah I gotta say that my biggest trepidation was the mismatched refresh rates, going from Pixel 6 to a 13 Mini, when I use a 120hz 11'' iPad pro, but I honestly don't notice it in the slightest. I think there were maybe 10 minutes when I first booted up the iPhone that I may have noticed it? Maybe it's more of a big deal on bigger phones? Maybe I have old man eyes now I'm in my 30's?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, hard to say, because I’m similar to the other poster, message sync between my iPhone and Mac has been iffy for years. I will say recently i think it’s better, but that’s anecdotal.

Have you enabled Messages in your iCloud settings? It's been rock solid for me since that's been a feature, but was shaky before that.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah I gotta say that my biggest trepidation was the mismatched refresh rates, going from Pixel 6 to a 13 Mini, when I use a 120hz 11'' iPad pro, but I honestly don't notice it in the slightest. I think there were maybe 10 minutes when I first booted up the iPhone that I may have noticed it? Maybe it's more of a big deal on bigger phones? Maybe I have old man eyes now I'm in my 30's?

I tend to notice it more on my phone than my iPad.
I also find that switching between different sizes, the refresh rate being different doesn't bother me, but say I had two of the same device side by side (computer monitors are a good example) them being mismatched drives me insane.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anybody hear of Battery Health being wrong? My iPhone 11 Pro bought at release still says 92% health but it drains 10+% per hour, I have to throw it on the charger several times a day, and I notice a lot of slowdown (several seconds to load content in apps when it used to be instant, apps freezing up, etc) in circumstances that seem like degraded battery performance may be related. I’m updated to the 16.0.2 but this was going on with iOS 15 too.

Violator fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 24, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

14PM on 16.0.2

I’ve had this going back to the iPhone 11 Pro

I just turned keyboard sounds off after a while

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Violator posted:

Anybody hear of Battery Health being wrong? My iPhone 11 Pro bought at release still says 92% health but it drains 10+% per hour, I have to throw it on the charger several times a day, and I notice a lot of slowdown (several seconds to load content in apps when it used to be instant, apps freezing up, etc) in circumstances that seem like degraded battery performance may be related. I’m updated to the 16.0.2 but this was going on with iOS 15 too.

How many apps do you have? Are they running in the background too? Depending on the apps it could just be taxing the phone constantly.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

SourKraut posted:

100% yes. Even a 12-14 would be worth it, IMO.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

100% yes. Even a 12-14 would be worth it, IMO.

*Scrolls right past on 11 Pro.

OP, it's your choice. I am too cheap to fork out for a 14 Pro, and I can't say I'm held back by anything currently. "Worth it" is dependent on a number of factors.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 24, 2022

Violator
May 15, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

How many apps do you have? Are they running in the background too? Depending on the apps it could just be taxing the phone constantly.

About a hundred apps, but I only use a small handful regularly. I don't notice anything too weird in the battery app usage section. I'll try turning off background refresh in more apps and keeping an eye on battery usage and see if that helps.

I'm also wondering if the phone is getting too hot for some reason. I tried taking my leather case off as per the advice from a podcast I listen to and things started loading instantly again, but that didn't last very before things got sluggish again so I thought it may have been a placebo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Violator posted:

I don't know if this will help, but this is something I remember from my computer hardware janitor days.

I know on macOS the battery percentage stuff could get out of calibration so it's possible the same happens to iOS and possible the battery health. This has a pretty detailed method on recalibrating the battery. https://www.newertech.com/batteries/power-calibration-guide/ I figure you can do the same poo poo but for your phone.

Might not help, but something to try at least. From what you're describing however, it does sound like your battery is hosed up. Might be worth calling up Apple and seeing if they can do a remote diagnostic, or going to an Apple Store or AASP and see if they can run the tests too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 24, 2022

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Went from 6 -> 8 Plus -> 11 -> 14 Pro Max (waiting on delivery). I think one of the things I'm most excited for getting back into the saddle brown leather case club. I've tried a couple 3rd party leather cases for my 11, but none of them were great.

I wasn't planning on upgrading just yet, but when T-Mobile is offering me $800 for my 11, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Violator posted:

My 11 is at 92% and holding for a while- In those battery settings do you see Peak Performance? The phone will throw on performance management with a single unexpected shutdown which can cause some slowdowns, but you can turn it off. Mine did it when it was 3-4 months old, turned it off and I haven't seen it since. As far as what's burning battery you can see those last 24 hours/10 days of activity- especially if there's stuff like Lock Screen or Low Signal with a high percentage maybe it's a settings/cell coverage thing. Otherwise yeah, quitting your apps isn't going to help, but the more apps you have with background app refresh, location services, and notifications the more juice it's gonna use and a lot of them don't need it for anything other than ads and "market research" bullshit.