Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The police used to conduct random searches of every school locker maybe once a year when I was in high school, and it would mean that we were all just kept in classrooms until they were done. This swat team guns-out sweep seems like it serves the same purpose in communicating to children that arbitrary power controls every aspect of their lives and that to power their lives have less value than an empty gum wrapper. I’m white and from the suburbs, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Imagine if a kid twitched too fast. Had a bad cough or sneeze or something.

Prime target for shooting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/opb/status/1570535619453145088?s=21&t=KukrHzu8F3gVbi6GTsGfeg

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I 'like' how the lead cop tried to sanitize things a bit by making it kind of a 'game' of keeping your hands and thumbs up. It's like something I'd do back in my counsellor days to make sure my campers had all washed their hands. But it's incredibly sick and dark.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

You down with OPB?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

I 'like' how the lead cop tried to sanitize things a bit by making it kind of a 'game' of keeping your hands and thumbs up. It's like something I'd do back in my counsellor days to make sure my campers had all washed their hands. But it's incredibly sick and dark.

That's literally how you teach children to obey in times of distress. Make it a game.

I read some heartbreaking stories during the beginning of the Ukraine war about how, in school, they taught the kids to hide from missiles and artillery. They made it into a game.

ugh

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Kirk Vikernes posted:

You down with OPB?

yeah, the ppb

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/california-governor-asks-doj-to-consider-kidnapping-charges-after-migrant-flights/
:getin:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wow, what shitheads. I'm honestly not that bothered by the idea of giving them rides farther into the country to spread them out some and not overload any particular area, but it's pretty explicit those two are doing it solely to spite everyone involved.

Seriously, lying to the illegals about where the ride goes to is so unbelievably hosed up, coyote levels of shithead. And it's completely unnecessary because there's no loving way they wouldn't have gotten a bazillion volunteers if they had just asked.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
petulance is the best form of governance

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mister Speaker posted:

Heads Up, Seven Up Hours to breach a classroom...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's funny is that they thought theybwere going to get the most absolute White Flight poo poo where the residents would be cowering over the BROWN WAVE and calling police to take them away...

And instead you get them mobilizing a temp solution and doing things like giving shoes to a guy who hasn't had a good sleep in over a week.

:downsbravo:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Holy gently caress. This is so over the top that I think Paul Verhoeven would think it's too much.

FoolyCharged posted:

Wow, what shitheads. I'm honestly not that bothered by the idea of giving them rides farther into the country to spread them out some and not overload any particular area, but it's pretty explicit those two are doing it solely to spite everyone involved.

Seriously, lying to the illegals about where the ride goes to is so unbelievably hosed up, coyote levels of shithead. And it's completely unnecessary because there's no loving way they wouldn't have gotten a bazillion volunteers if they had just asked.

None of the media reports are mentioning this but the reason they were sent to Martha's Vineyard is 100% because the resources required to deal with an influx of undocumented immigrants is basically non-existent there and it being an small island makes it very hard for them to leave. If these people were dropped off in Boston there would be all kinds of resources and places for them to say. I think Desantis was also hoping that people would treat them like poo poo because the Vineyard is a haven for rich douchebags. It hasn't played out that way though. People are actually helping.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like it's a win-win for the chuds as well, if anyone freaked out he'd be pointing that out, but now he can just keep doing it since it worked out so well

E: this is not new but pretty :patriot:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

As an American, I've always heard "college kids" not "college adults", and yes, college aged people are generally effectively children (most can't even buy alcohol or nicotine).

hell most cant really read write or do math

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/drrjkavanagh/status/1571577599209672704?s=21&t=-0nihw65bcaUgcEE_YAWQA

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Blackbirding is easier to prove under human trafficking than kidnapping, I'd think, but both are valid crimes for the actions done.

You'd think with all the legal weed that Colorado cops would be far more chill than they are, but I guess some of them just can't kick the habit of abusing humans meth and meth-related decisions "A few bad apples"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/sportsguyjose/status/1572016921155084291?t=DAWiWDn0AaktCZUw_X049A&s=19

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://twitter.com/k12ssdb/status/1573006607629578240?s=46&t=1qGO9Y4_9GwAQp7dwt1mpA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Very cool.

quote:

A South Carolina woman died Wednesday after she was shot by her 3-year-old child after the toddler got hold of an "unsecured firearm" in their home, authorities said.

Spartanburg County sheriff's deputies were called to 4750 S. Pine St. at about 7:45 a.m. and found wounded mom Cora Lyn Bush, 33, her child and her mother, officials said.

"Although our investigation remains active, all indications are this incident was a result of the young child gaining access to an unsecured firearm, which resulted in the mother being accidentally shot and later passing away at the hospital," a sheriff's statement said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toddler-fatally-shoots-south-carolina-mom-unsecured-firearm-sheriff-sa-rcna48924

Thankfully the kids aren't getting away with it!

https://twitter.com/Well_Regulated_/status/1573167143474307072

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1573396295284363265

:stare: Apparently this has been known for a while, but was just confirmed today. I always assumed this case was just a standard "choked while in police custody", I had no idea sedatives were involved.

Some more background:

Wikipedia posted:

There are conflicting accounts about the officer's report that McClain had tried to grab his gun. Later accounts offered differing reports on whose gun McClain had tried to grab. There was no visual body-camera footage of McClain's alleged reach for the gun, which the officers explained by stating that all of their cameras had fallen off. However, a news source states, "But if you watch the video from about the 15-minute mark (warning: It contains violent and upsetting content), you'll see someone pick up the body camera and point it toward McClain and one of the officers before dropping it back into the grass. Around 15:34, one of the officers seems to say, 'Leave your camera there.'"

After McClain was restrained, more officers arrived and audio of the conversation records them saying that McClain was "acting crazy", that he was "definitely on something", and that he had attacked them with "incredible, crazy strength" when they tried to restrain him. They also said that, at one point, three officers were on top of McClain, who was 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m) tall and weighed 140 pounds (64 kg). Without speaking with or touching him, paramedics injected him with 500 mg of ketamine, a dose that would have been too much for a 200 pound person, as a sedative for a condition called excited delirium.

("Excited delirium" is very controversial....see here to read more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excited_delirium)

Also his last words are absolutely heart shattering:

quote:

I can't breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That's my house. I was just going home. I'm an introvert. I'm just different. That's all. I'm so sorry. I have no gun. I don't do that stuff. I don't do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don't even kill flies! I don't eat meat! But I don't judge people, I don't judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I'll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I'm a mood Gemini. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Ow, that really hurt! You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to do that. I just can't breathe correctly.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 24, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh, the Elijah McClain murder is absolutely one of the most heinous things I've ever read. I think the pigs broke up a violin vigil for him, too. :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1573396295284363265

:stare: Apparently this has been known for a while, but was just confirmed today. I always assumed this case was just a standard "choked while in police custody", I had no idea sedatives were involved.

Some more background:

("Excited delirium" is very controversial....see here to read more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excited_delirium)

Also his last words are absolutely heart shattering:

It seems like he might have been neuroatypical and man oh man the cops were probably so hard when they got to kill a black guy and someone with a disability at the same time. They probably would have jizzed all over each other of they got to beat a woman and shoot a dog.

What a shithole country we live in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was coming home from volunteering at an animal shelter where he would help socialize dogs.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

aurora police clarified that a black kid stating that he lived in the neighborhood constitutes "acting crazy"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Not to break up the cop hate, but holy poo poo those paramedics hosed up their special k dose. The normal range for jabbing someone with the stuff is 2-4 mg/kg. Being generous and assuming the high end, they still injected enough for a 275lb man.

McClain weighed 143lbs.

A reasonable dose to jab him would be 130-260mg and they doubled that.

It was almost certainly the medics, not the cops that killed him. Although the cops certainly didn't help

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i'm sure it wasn't their choice to inject him with anything in the first place

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

How common is jabbing an arrestee with ketamine?! This is the first I've heard of it, that sounds insane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

How common is jabbing an arrestee with ketamine?! This is the first I've heard of it, that sounds insane.

It's got less to do with if they're in police custody and more to do with them being a crazy person trying to bite the nurses/paramedics trying to give them care. It's not an every day kind of thing, but it's not a crazy thing that never happens either.

InsertPotPun posted:

i'm sure it wasn't their choice to inject him with anything in the first place

The police don't have any medical training and gently caress no they don't have any say in what drugs we give patients.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Not to break up the cop hate, but holy poo poo those paramedics hosed up their special k dose. The normal range for jabbing someone with the stuff is 2-4 mg/kg. Being generous and assuming the high end, they still injected enough for a 275lb man.

McClain weighed 143lbs.

A reasonable dose to jab him would be 130-260mg and they doubled that.

It was almost certainly the medics, not the cops that killed him. Although the cops certainly didn't help

The cops are just as much to blame here. None of this would have happened if they didn't hassle a guy for walking home. They could have easily intervened or simply let him go but they had to have the paramedics come because he was hysterical or whatever the gently caress bullshit.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FoolyCharged posted:

It's got less to do with if they're in police custody and more to do with them being a crazy person trying to bite the nurses/paramedics trying to give them care. It's not an every day kind of thing, but it's not a crazy thing that never happens either.

The police don't have any medical training and gently caress no they don't have any say in what drugs we give patients.
right but they order paramedics to inject people right? i remember an incident that the police threatened a paramedic
yeah: https://theintercept.com/2020/08/25/ketamine-police-use-minnesota/

quote:

Baker said he felt pushed out of his job after refusing to administer ketamine in an incident in September 2019. Prior to that, he had to give ketamine injections on three other occasions as part of Woodbury EMS and recalled a trigger-happy mentality in the department around the drug.

“The dispatchers would say: Get your ketamine ready, bring your ketamine,” he said. His lawsuit claims that the “symbiotic relationship between EMS and police officers has created room for police officers to coerce paramedics like Plaintiff Baker to administer Ketamine on unwilling subjects.”

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like it's a win-win for the chuds as well, if anyone freaked out he'd be pointing that out, but now he can just keep doing it since it worked out so well

E: this is not new but pretty :patriot:

Next Mad Max movie looking good
It should say Hungry Jack

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 24, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Thank gently caress I don't live there then. Goddamn, that's horrible. PD cant even tell me why they called me out to look at a guy half the time, the idea of them pushing for meds by name is horrifying. On the plus side, I'd like to think that where I live isn't the outlier given that he and some of his family still work in ems after publicly blowing that whistle.

I'll concede that the cops could have asked for it, especially given that a medic that delivered a lethal dose was doesn't really have my trust on evaluating if it was actually needed.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

Thank gently caress I don't live there then. Goddamn, that's horrible. PD cant even tell me why they called me out to look at a guy half the time, the idea of them pushing for meds by name is horrifying. On the plus side, I'd like to think that where I live isn't the outlier given that he and some of his family still work in ems after publicly blowing that whistle.

I'll concede that the cops could have asked for it, especially given that a medic that delivered a lethal dose was doesn't really have my trust on evaluating if it was actually needed.

man. you really hate burger king

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

It's growing in terms of use, because cops don't want to tire themselves out with arrestees, and word gets around that this gets them off the hook for dudes dying while in custody.

FoolyCharged posted:

Cops don't need medical training, they already know ketamine will put a dude out of commission, and they know EMTs carry it. Wouldn't put it past cops to threaten to release a "crazy patient" into a paramedic's custody just to coerce them to administer the shot.

EDIT:

InsertPotPun posted:

right but they order paramedics to inject people right? i remember an incident that the police threatened a paramedic
yeah: https://theintercept.com/2020/08/25/ketamine-police-use-minnesota/

Cops can't even admit to loving up when they leave a dog in a hot car; them making paramedics do shady medicine "or else" is about the most clean their hands are bound to get, and that's not clean by any measure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

man. you really hate burger king

Of course I don't like baby killers

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The loving with medics thing really bugs me.

Bring your own loving poo poo to force an OD from the evidence locker if you haven't already used or sold it all you loving cowards.

Or maybe just don't murder people for fun. Leave medics out of that part.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's almost like one side wants the entire system to fail so they can become feudal lords.

You don't need healthcare, you don't need retirement, you don't need a home, you don't need teachers, you don't need ems, you really want to call the police? Toss a die, buddy.

You just need to support King Ron of Florida. Gather oranges and he will spend millions to fly you on a private jet to a better place at the end of the season before you can get shelter.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Wendigee posted:

It's almost like one side wants the entire system to fail so they can become feudal lords.

You don't need healthcare, you don't need retirement, you don't need a home, you don't need teachers, you don't need ems, you really want to call the police? Toss a die, buddy.

But enough about Brexit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Plan R posted:

But enough about Brexit!

lol.. the USD is worth as much as the EURO and more than the Pound... what the gently caress is going on.

keep declining and ill come force my presence upon you in the spring, its been a couple years since i went a proper vacation and i can mostly understand what they call english as well, bonus!

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 24, 2022