Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Knitting Beetles posted:

Wait… how does that help the rich?

Rich people own a lot of houses. It's been government policy for the last 20 years that house prices in the UK can never decrease, and that means doing anything you can to get first time buyers into the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Calling football soccer is like calling rugby rugger and only cunts do that

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pound's dead, time to hit Discogs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
You buys may have to bring out the backup sterling. You guys have one of those right?

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Last I look the markets are pricing in the probability of pound slipping below dollar parity at 1 in 7 chance.

1 in 4 based on options pricing

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

uber_stoat posted:

pound's dead, time to hit Discogs.

so loving true

finally getting that copy of Swirl by Here from across the pond before they melt all the vinyl down to insulate their hovels

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
When I was living in Derry City, which is within walking distance to the border, some shops were offering a 1 Euro to £1 exchange rate. It wasn't small buisinesses either, trying to avoid money changing fees at the bank - it was Sainsbury's.

That was 5 years ago. 2 years before that it was about 70p to the Euro, maybe less.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

strong britaine

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's support for Brexit at these days

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's only part one of a series so doesn't cover every poo poo thing they've done. But with the massive dump of internal documents they got their hands on, it basically confirms that every bad thing we publicly knew about the party was 10x worse behind-the-scenes.

Ah that makes sense, thanks!

I didn't have a chance to watch in the morning, I tried watching now and it seems completely indecipherable to someone on the outside of English politics.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well at least the weakening pound is good for UK exporters, which means basically BP and BAT cigarettes/vapes and GlaxoSmithKline hahaha

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Stop voting in the women tories

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ah that makes sense, thanks!

I didn't have a chance to watch in the morning, I tried watching now and it seems completely indecipherable to someone on the outside of English politics.

Sadly I think that is also the case for much of the British public who I don't think really care about any of the inner machinations of political parties. It's definitely one for the political nerds amongst us and for us, some of the revelations went further than we were aware of.

I watched it (parts 2 & 3 are Saturday and Monday I understand) and thought it didn't really give any sort of overview for those not up in Labour Party minutiae. Having rejoined the party in 2015/16 (I was a member throughout the 80s and 90s until Iraq), having read the original 'leaked report' which set out a lot of the mischief-making and undermining of Corbyn that had gone on, and also having watched the AlJaz "The Lobby" investigation, I had plenty of hooks to hang it on.

Eg most of the names that came up in the programme were ones with which I was already familiar and for most of them where they stood on various matters.
This certainly would not be true of most of the UK general public who wouldn't have a clue who any of the people mentioned are.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well at least the weakening pound is good for UK exporters, which means basically BP and BAT cigarettes/vapes and GlaxoSmithKline hahaha

and more traffic speedbumps for others to run over

very symbolic from a metamorphically pov

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

he was a grumpy sod, and he could have rolled into it instead some freak advisor told him to start smiling all the time and looked stupid instead

oh god does anyone have any gordon-brown-moves-his-mouth-in-weird-ways gifs?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Actually, it's just Games Workshop.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it could be the company that makes refreshers and drumsticks but ohhhh no they can’t seem to figure out how to ship to the us

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

kyojin posted:

Wildcard: putin (by nuke)

Russian advisors run the cost/benefit analysis and determine it's a waste of a perfectly good nuke

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, it's just Games Workshop.

They're going to end up literally owning England aren't they

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Sep 24, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's arguably "good" for international companies that account in USD from a cost of labour point of view.....so banks basically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

thatcher keeps paying off for the uk

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already do, Truss is probably a slaaneshi cultist

Falcorum has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Sep 24, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue of Britain had a strong industrial base and resources to work off of but it really doesn’t anymore and it is going to difficult to compensate for more expensive imports.

It is why Brexit was also a net loss, it simply raised the costs of imports without substitution.

————

Also, how much more could be done for Britain if rail was nationalized and the money spent on getting high speed rail to just Birmingham (50b+) was instead shifted to having national rail bringing up the network to a near HS standard and providing subsidized tickets?

I think high speed rail in general is a good idea but I have a hard time seeing HS2 panning out.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue of Britain had a strong industrial base and resources to work off of but it really doesn’t anymore and it is going to difficult to compensate for more expensive imports.

i love the story from some canadian guy where he purposely searched for a local cardboard packaging contractor, only to find out they made a crappier product than the chinese one while charging 5x more with a haughty take-it-or-leave-it attitude

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like it's this basically

“It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market,” Summers (Larry Summers, former treasury chief) told Bloomberg Television’s “Wall Street Week” with David Westin. “Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time.”

i legit don't know if there are any countries who could make these staggeringly terrible decisions so consistently and just shake it off, but yeah we're worse positioned than most lol.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CoolCab posted:

of any major country

press X to doubt now

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CoolCab posted:

like it's this basically

“It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market,” Summers (Larry Summers, former treasury chief) told Bloomberg Television’s “Wall Street Week” with David Westin. “Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time.”

i legit don't know if there are any countries who could make these staggeringly terrible decisions so consistently and just shake it off, but yeah we're worse positioned than most lol.

Japan didn’t get stuck in the mire it is in all at once, it took decades. It is more or less the same for the UK, it is just that Westminster is taking such a hard line position even Larry Summers can take a shot at them.

The Fed is taking more hawkish position than they have in 20 years, but Truss is doing everything see can to box the UK in.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Palladium posted:

press X to doubt now
majorly stupid

but really, the uk is (for now) number 21 in terms of population and 6 in terms of gdp, i think calling it a major country is fine. you just have to accept that major country means a lot less now than it did 200 years ago, now that we've had super powers, and major country basically just means a country that can cause ripples in the world when it shits the bed - rather than one that can bend other countries to their will.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
submerging economy is exactly right, our policy base has non-figuratively stripped the country. the state is getting pretty close to being small enough to drown in a bathtub.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pryor on Fire posted:

This time next year Games Workshop will be one of the ten biggest companies in Britain

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
An export-based economy but the only things you export are Warhammer and The Great British Bakeoff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Palladium posted:

i love the story from some canadian guy where he purposely searched for a local cardboard packaging contractor, only to find out they made a crappier product than the chinese one while charging 5x more with a haughty take-it-or-leave-it attitude

That sounds vaguely familiar, anyone got a source?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i can't stop lolling and lmaoing at the absolute state of the uk. i'm sorry

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's not much of a wood industry to produce pulp and cardboard after you killed all your trees, so you'd have to import that from eastern europe or scandinavia to make it locally. Surprised it only costs 5x more, it's probably more than that now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's not much of a wood industry to produce pulp and cardboard after you killed all your trees, so you'd have to import that from eastern europe or scandinavia to make it locally. Surprised it only costs 5x more, it's probably more than that now.

No fuckin way you're stealing our trees

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I just tweeted at Suella Braverman. I told her she was hideous inside and out. I also told her that her head and neck look like a flaccid uncircumcised penis that somebody drew a silly face on with markers. I hope she reads it.

Her husband looks like a dickhead too.

Valko has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Sep 24, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Biplane posted:

No fuckin way you're stealing our trees

we are a finance country, which means you send us your raw resources and we send you extremely important pieces of paper. this arrangement has worked great to now, but things are somewhat wobbling lol.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Valko posted:

I just tweeted at Suella Braverman. I told her she was hideous inside and out. I also told her that her head and neck look like a flaccid uncircumcised penis that somebody drew a silly face on with markers. I hope she reads it.

Her husband looks like a dickhead too.

This woman is beautiful

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pryor on Fire posted:

Isn’t anybody planting trees over there? You’d think there would be some kind of active reforestation movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Gripweed posted:

Isn’t anybody planting trees over there? You’d think there would be some kind of active reforestation movement.

Or at least like, farming trees for paper. You can do that.