Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It sounds like she mostly just wants him to put in a bit of effort rather than wearing the same poo poo he normally wears? There's not a lot to go on but "20 year old who only has one type of outfit" doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's going to make his button ups really nice ones even. I can get it would be really frustrating for her to keep trying hard to look good or dress for an event while he just does the same low-effort poo poo every time, no matter what.

It also sounds as if they're just not really into the same things. Whatever hobbies he's spending money on isn't intersecting much with what they're doing as a couple and the result is that from her perspective he just doesn't really care about hanging out. They're incompatible and they should break up.

edit: ah gently caress, snipe. here's some content.

Girlfriend was gifted an apartment and is asking me to pay her rent to move in

quote:

I've been dating my girlfriend for a year now.

When we first started dating, her parents bought her a small 1 bedroom apartment and she's been living in it ever since. She pays the bills but no rent or mortgage.

The entire time we've been dating, both her and her parents made it very clear if I ever move in, I'd have to pay zero rent. Obviously I'd have to pay for myself in terms of hydro, repairs, tax etc, but just wouldn't owe any of them rent money.

Now that my lease is up im starting to move in to her place. Moving in has been quite stressful on both of us and we got into a fight this morning. A few minutes after our fight, she explains that I need to pay $700 a month in rent to move in to her place. This $700 includes also paying for all other fees, which would take it to about $1500 a month.

Honestly the place is very small for the two of us. If I split $1500 a month for a $3000 apartment where I live, we could upgrade to a much better and bigger place, so this really isn't a good deal for me at all.

Additionally, I feel it's quite slimey for her to ask me to pay rent when she pays none. Her parents bought her the place so I view it as theirs and not hers. If her parents asked me to pay rent, I'd have zero problems, but she's taking their gift and trying to make a profit off me for it.

We had quite a huge fight about this and I don't know how to feel. She claims she's giving me a good deal on rent, but all in it's really not a good deal. Even then, I feel uncomfortable that she went against her word.

I feel like she's not treating me like an equal partner. I would never try to make a buck off my girlfriend moving into my place, I only expect her to pay half what I pay because were equals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bruceski posted:

I have two suit jackets I got "in case I need them someday" (and one I actually used at the time I got it). Guess how many of them fit by the time I needed them?

are they too big or too small

like are we talking "i borrowed my dads suit to pretend im an adult" territory or "if i flex it will tear the arms asunder like a hulk transformation scene"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bruceski posted:

I have two suit jackets I got "in case I need them someday" (and one I actually used at the time I got it). Guess how many of them fit by the time I needed them?

i got one decades ago and it still fits

still got the same knot in my tie from back then, too. just gotta be careful taking it off is all

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Always a classic tale

AITA for telling my Ex Best Friend that he caused his divorce?

quote:

I 25(f) recently got into an argument with my now Ex Best friend lets call him Ben 30(m) who ended up divorced after he hosed up his marriage and I didn't support him as a friend should

Basically he forced his wife lets call her Gwen 27(f) who I am also friends with into an open relationship (i warned ben this wasnt gonna end the way he wanted), I had to comfort her about this because I'll be honest I love her but she tends to let people walk all over her. I helped her through it and convinced her to just take advantage of the situation because she was going to find someone better and my idiot Best friend would try and close it the moment she realized her worth to trust me, he just wasted to cheat

Well 6 months later Ben comes complaining that his wife won't close the relationship and has been seeing this guy Martin for 4 months and how he stopped seeing other women and has tried to give her more attention so she'll dump Martin but she won't and asked me if I could talk some sense into her so he could close their relationship

I just deadpanned looked at him and said he was an idiot who wanted his cake and eat it to and now he had to face the consequences of his actions and I warned him this would happen, he called me a witch and left. Well it's been 3 months and Gwen filed for divorce, they don't have kids and had a prenuptial so it went easy, Ben was complaining to me again and I told him he now has what he wanted the freedom to sleep around, he got mad at me for rubbing his face in his divorce and told me not to contact him that all women are alike

I myself don't see myself as an Ahole but some of our friends are saying I shouldn't be rubbing it in his face and being smug about it? So am I the ahole for telling him the truth about how this was going to end?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Deformed Church posted:

Girlfriend was gifted an apartment and is asking me to pay her rent to move in

letting someone move in for free is a goddamn mistake, but gf should have told OP before he started moving in

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

blatman posted:

are they too big or too small

like are we talking "i borrowed my dads suit to pretend im an adult" territory or "if i flex it will tear the arms asunder like a hulk transformation scene"

So tight across the shoulders that I can't straighten my neck. One of them's also clearly too small in other ways and it's not like the other's perfect, but that's the obvious issue. I was never a stringbean but I got broad at some point.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The OP clarified later in the comments that she just wanted him to put a little effort in when they go out on dates, I don't think that's too weird.

But of course, the post has been nuked from orbit by the mods for "no ongoing conflict".

:thunk:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Beachcomber posted:

I'm so bored of the rings at this point.

Great book, though somewhat dated.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

The OP clarified later in the comments that she just wanted him to put a little effort in when they go out on dates, I don't think that's too weird.

But of course, the post has been nuked from orbit by the mods for "no ongoing conflict".

:thunk:

It's not weird and it's fine to ask, for sure. But he might not change and that's okay too

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

Always a classic tale

AITA for telling my Ex Best Friend that he caused his divorce?

The trash took itself out OP! You've won!

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foo Diddley posted:

letting someone move in for free is a goddamn mistake, but gf should have told OP before he started moving in

What the gently caress are you talking about? You think it's cool to charge your SO rent when you're not paying to live in the place yourself? It was a gift.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Borosilicate posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You think it's cool to charge your SO rent when you're not paying to live in the place yourself? It was a gift.

So can't charge rent if if was an inheritance? What about if she just bought it in cash? Cash that she earned? How about cash that she inherited?

Sorry, but no. Just because someone in a relationship owns a home doesn't mean it's free to all their partners that would possibly live with them. That's like.....close to marriage level stuff. Not "trying out living together for the first time" stuff.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Borosilicate posted:

yes, i do, 'cuz it's her fuckin apartment, not her boyfriend's. whether it was a gift or not is completely irrelevant

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Poor guy found out he was dating a loving landlord just in time

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for driving away without my sister at the gym after she would not leave me alone about my workouts?

quote:

This happened last night and my parents are furious with me and have basically issued me an ultimatum that I apologize or I may be asked to move out. I feel like she had left me with no choice so I left her at the gym.

My parents force me to have a gym membership even though I hate it and I have a medical condition where I get really short of breath and feel a lot of pain when I exercise so I don’t ever want to do it. Not only that I have to drive my sister (I’m 22, she’s 21) since I don’t have school this semester.

Because of my medical condition i go and will usually do the water masage; get a smoothie and sit and wait for my sister while on my phone. My sister would not leave me alone yesterday and said I was wasting our parents money; being lazy, being overweight and just being a loser. I told her to leave me alone and she walked away. As she was walking away I was like screw this and I left.

I didn’t realize that her phone was in the car and when she called my parents from the gym they thought it was a telemarking call and ignored it. I knew it was her so I ignored it too. She claims she had a test yesterday and “had” to get a ride home so she could change so her idiotic idea was ask a “cute, nice looking guy” for a ride.

My parents are mad at her for getting a ride to our house from a stranger but they say the entire situation is my fault. They don’t even think she was being that mean to me. Well they weren’t there and don’t know her tone or the look on her face so I feel like I had no choice but to walk away from a very scary and uncomfortable situation in public.

AITA?

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Anything over half the utilities/repairs is just asinine. That's your SO, not a tenant.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Why would you want to profit off of your boyfriend? Like, paying utilities and repairs and poo poo yeah, that's fine but him paying her rent is her becoming a parasite landlord to someone she supposedly cares about. She's not even paying a mortgage on the place so it's just her taking money from him every month for herself. That is gross and slimy.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Foo Diddley posted:

yes, i do, 'cuz it's her fuckin apartment, not her boyfriend's. whether it was a gift or not is completely irrelevant

The question wasn't 'Is she legally allowed to be a scumbag parasite and treat her SO like crap', hth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rain dogs posted:

Anything over half the utilities/repairs is just asinine. That's your SO, not a tenant.

So if shae had a mortgage on the place it would be okay for charging half that plus utilities plus repairs? (which lol repairs are on a different scale)

If yes, what if she paid the mortgage off while they were living together? He gets free board then? If so, why?

If she was renting would it be okay to charge half the rent plus utilities? If so, how is this situation different than the situations above?

When answering, please state if you have ever lived on your own or had to pay for yourself to live for an extended period of time all by yourself. With or without roomates.

Also answer if she had enough money to pay off a mortgage or buy the place they are renting but had not if she could still charge.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
okay yeah i'll pay all the taxes, all the hoa fees, all the maintainance, and you take up half my home and cry about how unfair it would be for you to pay rent

that's a great fuckin deal, i can't wait to do that one again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest if he was paying on the mortgage without actually having his name in it he would be an idiot as well. Your not partners your her tenant she sometimes sleeps with

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Foo Diddley posted:

Honestly, he was never told that he'd get to live there for free anyways. He was always going to have to pay utilities and upkeep...which also translates into rent.

The problem, from the sounds of it, is that she's now asking for an extra $700 on top of that, without warning and when he's already partly moved in.

Borosilicate posted:

The thread has, generally, sided with people going "if you're going to live here full-time, pay your share of the utilities and groceries at least". Where we've disagreed with the person trying to charge rent is when they're doing poo poo like "you were here three hours/overnight/for the weekend, pay me the cost of electricity you consumed during that time".

HopperUK posted:

Poor guy found out he was dating a loving landlord just in time
"Pay your half of the utilities" is landlord poo poo now? Tacking on extra money is lovely, yes, but the initial ask was perfectly sane.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

tinytort posted:

"Pay your half of the utilities" is landlord poo poo now? Tacking on extra money is lovely, yes, but the initial ask was perfectly sane.

It's the extra money I was talking about. The gross rent-seeking exploitative landlord bullshit.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

According to the story, the girlfriend owns the house outright and doesn't pay rent or mortgage, but does pay utilities and stuff. The OP was told that if they moved in, they'd have to also pay utilities, but not rent. While moving in, they had a fight with their girlfriend and she told them they had to also pay rent now, almost doubling what they were already intending to pay. That's what they're upset about. There's no mortgage, at least that the girlfriend is paying, and the OP was always going to pay for utilities and upkeep.

I feel like the fact this happened after a fight is relevant.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have always just paid the dang mortgage.

drat. guess I missed out on like almost 10 years of rent from my wife.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for driving away without my sister at the gym after she would not leave me alone about my workouts?

Feels like bait. At the risk of lambasting someone with a serious medical condition, I can’t help but feel she’s self-diagnosed as “out of shape” and if her symptoms wouldn’t get better with some light exercise. Regardless, stranding your sibling with no phone and knowingly screening their call for help is an rear end in a top hat response for the crime of being condescending.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Motronic posted:

So if shae had a mortgage on the place it would be okay for charging half that plus utilities plus repairs? (which lol repairs are on a different scale)

If yes, what if she paid the mortgage off while they were living together? He gets free board then? If so, why?

If she was renting would it be okay to charge half the rent plus utilities? If so, how is this situation different than the situations above?

When answering, please state if you have ever lived on your own or had to pay for yourself to live for an extended period of time all by yourself. With or without roomates.

Also answer if she had enough money to pay off a mortgage or buy the place they are renting but had not if she could still charge.

I've rented for 20+ years, by myself, with roommates, girlfriends, and a wife. I've never tried to make a profit off of any of them.

If you think it's ok to profit off someone you're romantically involved with, well that's gonna be a yikesaroonie from me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Feels like bait. At the risk of lambasting someone with a serious medical condition, I can’t help but feel she’s self-diagnosed as “out of shape” and if her symptoms wouldn’t get better with some light exercise. Regardless, stranding your sibling with no phone and knowingly screening their call for help is an rear end in a top hat response for the crime of being condescending.

It’s even funnier. She thinks that because she has “8 disabilities” Ssi is going to give her 77k/year

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's normal and expected to share living expenses. Utilities and repairs are living expenses. A mortgage is a living expense. Charging rent is fine up to the point of paying for shared living expenses (HOA fees, taxes, insurance, etc.) but the point of shared living expenses is that they are shared, not unidirectional. She wants to charge an additional fee for the privilege of living with her. That's not cool or good.

It's especially not cool or good to spring this additional rent amount on someone while they're in the middle of moving in, after you had told them that they wouldn't be paying an arbitrary amount of additional rent, after they had let the lease on their old place lapse.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 24, 2022

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Strangers who are roommates: both contribute financially towards housing

Friends who are roommates: both contribute financially towards housing

Married couple: both contribute financially towards housing

Unmarried couple living together: one of the partners should pay 100% and the other should pay 0

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rain dogs posted:

I've rented for 20+ years, by myself, with roommates, girlfriends, and a wife. I've never tried to make a profit off of any of them.

If you think it's ok to profit off someone you're romantically involved with, well that's gonna be a yikesaroonie from me.

It's not a profit unless you're really bad at reading what you responded to.

Cerekk posted:

Strangers who are roommates: both contribute financially towards housing

Friends who are roommates: both contribute financially towards housing

Married couple: both contribute financially towards housing

Unmarried couple living together: one of the partners should pay 100% and the other should pay 0

Yeah, this.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

being bad at reading is a time-honoured r/r thread tradition

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It costs more to live in a place than just the mortgage payment. I live in a low property tax state and still pay like $450/mo in property taxes, roughly a thousand a year for insurance, anywhere from $100-300/ month just doing the maintenance I can handle myself. Next month I am having a $30k roof put on. I’ve been here almost ten years so it amortizes a little but it’s still a lot of loving money.

Now, I’m in an older house and not a condo, but with condos you just pay an HOA fee so that you prepay the maintenance. You can still get hit with a big assessment for a new roof for the whole building or to replace the parking lot. You still have property taxes and insurance, albeit a little cheaper.

And the type of partner that balks at paying a reasonable rent and instead thinks they should get a fee ride is also the type of partner who is going to say, “Why should I pay to repair YOUR apartment?”

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shwoo posted:

According to the story, the girlfriend owns the house outright and doesn't pay rent or mortgage, but does pay utilities and stuff. The OP was told that if they moved in, they'd have to also pay utilities, but not rent. While moving in, they had a fight with their girlfriend and she told them they had to also pay rent now, almost doubling what they were already intending to pay. That's what they're upset about. There's no mortgage, at least that the girlfriend is paying, and the OP was always going to pay for utilities and upkeep.

I feel like the fact this happened after a fight is relevant.

Yeah, this... he said he was fine actually paying for utilities and poo poo, is everyone missing that?

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Motronic posted:

Yeah, this.

And I said that paying for half the utilities, upkeep, taxes, whatever is fine. There are no loving housing expenses.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

therobit posted:

It costs more to live in a place than just the mortgage payment. I live in a low property tax state and still pay like $450/mo in property taxes, roughly a thousand a year for insurance, anywhere from $100-300/ month just doing the maintenance I can handle myself. Next month I am having a $30k roof put on. I’ve been here almost ten years so it amortizes a little but it’s still a lot of loving money.

Now, I’m in an older house and not a condo, but with condos you just pay an HOA fee so that you prepay the maintenance. You can still get hit with a big assessment for a new roof for the whole building or to replace the parking lot. You still have property taxes and insurance, albeit a little cheaper.

And the type of partner that balks at paying a reasonable rent and instead thinks they should get a fee ride is also the type of partner who is going to say, “Why should I pay to repair YOUR apartment?”

i unironically love posts that explain things everyone knows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

how are so many people so goddamn bad at reading the loving story

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

Yeah, this.

They had already talked about him paying $800/mo for his share of expenses like utilities and taxes, so what is this new $700/mo amount paying for? In what way is it not profit?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sugar free jazz posted:

i unironically love posts that explain things everyone knows

A lot of goons literally think that the rent they pay is nothing but pure profit for their mustache twirling landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deformed Church posted:

Obviously I'd have to pay for myself in terms of hydro, repairs, tax etc, but just wouldn't owe any of them rent money.

A few minutes after our fight, she explains that I need to pay $700 a month in rent to move in to her place. This $700 includes also paying for all other fees, which would take it to about $1500 a month.

therobit posted:

A lot of goons literally think that the rent they pay is nothing but pure profit for their mustache twirling landlords.

So $800 is everything that is not "pay me for the privilege of living here". That's fees, water, power, repairs, all that poo poo. Is this the bit you are missing from the story??

Perhaps you are confused because the writer said it "includes" those other fees when they clearly meant "doesn't include." The writer does say "Includes" but if those fees take the price up to $1500, then they clearly meant "does not include."

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2022