Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

My kneejerk reaction to this was "absolutely not" but Apple was always really savvy at marketing so I considered it. Jobs did presentations on college campuses (late 90s, post-return to apple but pre-iphone) - but I think that tapered off as Apple became the stock market juggernaut it is today. I don't think there's a tech youtube channel today that they'd consider worth Jobs' time from a marketing perspective.

Feels like he'd totally show up on MKBHD, they have the same vibe and would enjoy talking about how great the $1,000 wheels are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jobs' infamous grudge-holding means he also very much might have responded to a specific tech person disliking an apple product by showing up on a competing channel to talk poo poo on the first one. I don't think it's likely but I'm also convinced it could have happened if the stars had aligned correctly.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Jobs would show up on random YouTube channels about things that interested him but I don't think he'd do any sort of Apple circuit among tech channels.

But you would find a machinist/stationery/painting channel with like 90k subs and he'd be there as a special guest.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If there was a channel like the one where they eat spicy fried chicken during the interview, but it was vegan, he would show up on that

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VostokProgram posted:

If there was a channel like the one where they eat spicy fried chicken during the interview, but it was vegan, he would show up on that

Hot sauce is the best

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

People are often dumb and take a completely backwards approach to cancer. Treatable with 99% positive outcomes and low recurrence rates? I'll wait. Dead in 6 months no matter what and treatment will only make me feel worse? Juice me up boss!
That's probably got something to do with what advice they're given by the doctors, since the therapies aren't without risk.

As medical science has improved the survival rates over the decades, it means that more people have side-effects of the therapies and a lot of them aren't fantastic.
I have nerve pain from the radiation therapy and chronic extreme exhaustion from the chemotherapy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steve-O ate wyngz on Hot Ones

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CoolCab posted:

legit question if he was still alive do you think he would have guest starred on any tech youtube channels. johy ives went on a bunch but i don't know if tim cook ever has.

I think we'd have seen him dabble in chatting to a few cherrypicked individuals, but would 100% have Musked it by saying something off the cuff but completely unconscionable that had nothing to do with tech, or something tech related that spooked shareholders. But I think the difference between him and Elon is he'd have just steered clear of it all from that point on. Probably!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's probably got something to do with what advice they're given by the doctors, since the therapies aren't without risk.

As medical science has improved the survival rates over the decades, it means that more people have side-effects of the therapies and a lot of them aren't fantastic.
I have nerve pain from the radiation therapy and chronic extreme exhaustion from the chemotherapy.

I totally understand how bad they can be. My point is that people will be super averse to milder therapies that yes, will have some side effects, but almost certainly will add like 20 years to their life. But when they are absolutely gonna die no matter what, all of a sudden they're willing to torture themselves. It's just how humans are with our survival instincts, we're willing to take risks that we probably shouldn't when we feel mostly OK, but when we know death is imminent we will subject ourselves to ridiculous things even if they won't help.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CoolCab posted:

legit question if he was still alive do you think he would have guest starred on any tech youtube channels. johy ives went on a bunch but i don't know if tim cook ever has.

He'd have a podcast that had one episode per year. There would be, at maximum, six episodes before it got remodelled to something he didn't do personally. It would be exclusive to Apple Podcasts.

It'd probably have a one-off, vaguely passive-aggressive comment towards the "tech youtube" scene where he'd imply it's worthless and uninteresting because it's below him. It'd also probably have a backhanded comment towards Gruber which would send him into a spiral.

Issey Miyake might've guested tho, that would've been cool.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Charles Leclerc posted:

my takeaway from this is that he was very much anti right to repair

:drat:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

I totally understand how bad they can be. My point is that people will be super averse to milder therapies that yes, will have some side effects, but almost certainly will add like 20 years to their life. But when they are absolutely gonna die no matter what, all of a sudden they're willing to torture themselves. It's just how humans are with our survival instincts, we're willing to take risks that we probably shouldn't when we feel mostly OK, but when we know death is imminent we will subject ourselves to ridiculous things even if they won't help.
If your point is that humans as a species and as individuals are terrible at judging risk, then yeah you're absolutely right.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
On the WAN Show, Linus just announced he's planning to launch a Spanish version of the channel. That wouldn't be too unusual, but they are LTT so of course they're doing it differently: they plan to use machine learning to transcribe their videos, machine translate the transcription, and then synthesize a new voiceover. He gave a quick demo and it was pretty dire, especially the voiceover. The chat was practically begging Linus to just use subtitles instead.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr.Radar posted:

On the WAN Show, Linus just announced he's planning to launch a Spanish version of the channel. That wouldn't be too unusual, but they are LTT so of course they're doing it differently: they plan to use machine learning to transcribe their videos, machine translate the transcription, and then synthesize a new voiceover. He gave a quick demo and it was pretty dire, especially the voiceover. The chat was practically begging Linus to just use subtitles instead.

im pretty sure there are comedy channels entirely dedicated to machine translate content back and forth multiple times

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Memri Tech Tips

"how did he afford a 4090? Through Jihad"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

authentically spanish videos from burnaby british columbia

i guess they think that's the second-largest audience to expand into? but that's such a bad way of doing it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Memri Tech Tips

"how did he afford a 4090? Through Jihad"

what would this 4090 do if we had a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I mean it's very on brand for Linus to combine Dunning-Kruger with half-assed effort

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
one of the only weirdos who'd defend ltt here requested a 30 day probe so it's almost like kicking a dead horse. yeah it's FUNNY they're doing this but it's also just kind of sad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

As someone who works in localization, this hurts deeply. So many tech bros overestimate their technological solutions. Just stop. Not every solution needs to be a tech one. Just pay someone to translate the videos for you, and the results will be ten times better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

That's how microsoft does their end-user docs localization and people prefer to jump to english since it's so awful. Good luck if they expect to add viewers thru robocop at the mike.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Linus has a Spanish employee, he knows how to do this, dw.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think it was like twenty years ago since microsoft first told us of all the ways they'd solved translation

otoh, getting to announce the same achievement like every five years is probably nice

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the point of this, anyway? Increasing reach among the Hispanic demographic in North America? You'd think that the Venn diagram of Hispanic tech enthusiasts and people with decent enough English comprehension is practically a circle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Translated subtitles are a good thing to give your videos a wider reach, doing google translate on them is not.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Presumably South America (except Brazil), Mexico, and Spain. It's been a massively surging market for online content, easily the third biggest after English and Chinese. I think at several points over the past two years the most subbed streamer on Twitch has been some Spanish guy or another.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I get wanting to listen to content in your native tongue (I myself greatly prefer tech content that isn't in English): But I'd never listen to some translated American YouTuber.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Spanish LTT had also some video interpolation to get that Spanish telenovela effect for maximum "humor"

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd actually watch that if they went all in on it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is a non-zero chance Linus would wear a bee suit in the video announcing this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

auto translation is still pretty lovely but i've been pleasantly surprised at how good auto captioning is these days even against human transcription especially when you consider the quality of human transcription when it's been outsourced to places like the philippines

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Google's translation works very well actually, but when combined with automatic captioning (which by itself is pretty decent) there are too many failure points and it often results in nonsense. Doing text to speech on top of that is really nuts. Especially when he could just pay some dude in Mexico $100 per video to do it properly.

I've seen a few channels that have been dubbed into English and it's meh, you understand it just fine but it just doesn't feel good. I don't know why someone would watch dubbed Linus when they could instead watch an actual Spanish language channel tbh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Google's translation works very well actually

No, it really doesn't. Not for anything beyond quickly looking up information on a foreign-language website. If you want even just an acceptably decent translation of your entertainment product, hire an actual translator.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my sister works for a captioning company and i've always used it and i guess i'm more aware of it and imo the current autocaptioning technology has too many instances of changing or in some cases completely inverting the meaning of a statement to be useful right now. if it's anything even remotely technical ie product code names or funny words the hit rate becomes atrocious, it doesn't seem to pair very well to a tech channel at all.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Weird they didn’t go with Chinese first, especially since they have staff members who speak/read fluently in both Cantonese and Mandarin IIRC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Weird they didn’t go with Chinese first, especially since they have staff members who speak/read fluently in both Cantonese and Mandarin IIRC.

every LTT episode has already being reuploaded onto Bilibili with fanmade chinese subtitles

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

He'a doing a new channel instead of opening videos to fanmade multi-lingual subtitles because he wants another channel to get revenue from. It's absolutely insane that he thinks google translate and text to speech will make an acceptable product.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Palladium posted:

every LTT episode has already being reuploaded onto Bilibili with fanmade chinese subtitles

Didn’t know that, that’s cool!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He'a doing a new channel instead of opening videos to fanmade multi-lingual subtitles because he wants another channel to get revenue from. It's absolutely insane that he thinks google translate and text to speech will make an acceptable product.

A lot of big channels don't allow fan subtitling because of the abuse potential or because Youtube doesn't say when subs are fanmade or provided by the channel itself, so if the subs are bad (because the person doing the translation was just using Google translate) the channel gets blamed. Also LTT's fanbase would 100% think uploading hundreds of Klingon or Swedish Chef subtitles is hilarious. I think Youtube might've dropped the feature completely actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Palladium posted:

Watch him save money and just rip those and stick them back up on YouTube.

They’re technically his property I guess.