Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I got my Cygnar battlegroup today and I've got to say I'm impressed with the quality. There are a few bits of trimming to do and one or two pieces had a little bit of the chalkiness in some of the crevasses but not major there. The butt of one of the polearms for the Stryker snapped off but I think I'll be able to glue it back on. A few of the pieces took a while to get glued together, which was a little irritating but pretty standard stuff and I got all the 'jacks components magnetized like a dream. Hell of a first impression.

Edit: of course, of course I hosed up the polarity on most of the attachments despite having a seemingly fool proof means of establishing the correct polarity. Fool proof perhaps but not loving dumbass proof, alas.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

I got my Cygnar battlegroup today and I've got to say I'm impressed with the quality. There are a few bits of trimming to do and one or two pieces had a little bit of the chalkiness in some of the crevasses but not major there.

Basically the same with the Khador box today. I didn’t have issues with any of the parts of my kits. No softness, very little chalkiness, if any.

I did see some print lines, however I suspect they’ll disappear once primer is laid down, they’re so shallow.

My only negative impression came after I checked all my kits and sat back and noticed the invoice in the box. Looking back at the battlegroup sold for twice the cost of the Mk.III battlegroup, which also included dice, cards, booklets, and kits packaged in nice blisters. This set was wrapped in cheap bubble wrap with printed Avery label stickers to help keep packaging closed, in one large bubble wrap bag.

I hope it’s just one of those early adopter tax things and the full release packaging looks as good as the Mk.III battlegroups.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Privateer Press put out a primecast today. The super unintuitive unit movement rules is "working as intended". I guess that it's here to stay.

Prime armies won't have jack marshals. As a legion player, this is an eye opener. Historically they had no jack marshals, but they added the Blight Archons two years ago and Thagrosh 0 late last year. They would both have made sense as cadres, along with Virtue Models, but I guess it is not to be. I hadn't expected PP to just walk away from stuff they released in the past year, but it seems that's their plan. Puts me more firmly into the "wait and see before buying anything new" camp.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm going forward with the expectation that they won't be carrying over named characters at all to cement the edition break for at least the first wave of releases for each faction. Did they say no jack mashalls in reference to the rule itself or to specific models with that rule?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Jack Marshals have limited rules in the rulebook, and the explanation for that is most of the rules will be on a model's card. Prime Factions will not, apparently, be getting jack marshals - which explains the rulebook.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Maneck posted:

Jack Marshals have limited rules in the rulebook, and the explanation for that is most of the rules will be on a model's card. Prime Factions will not, apparently, be getting jack marshals - which explains the rulebook.

There is a jack marshall in the sample cards, the Bastion Seneschal.

Protectorate had two old JMs in the exemplar list - Sennies kept it along with their drive, and Reclaimers lost it (they had no drive) - so I'd been assuming that JM abilities are now just the drive and nothing else.

Which makes it a real bad rule.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jack marshal has always been bad and I'm glad they'll not be using it going forward. Absolute waste of design space. And I mean that literally - there are a ton of cool things they could've done with the concept and they just absolutely refused to make it interesting.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Most fun I ever I had with this game was with my Gun Mage JM in mark 2, but okay

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I did get to do the JM + Sanctifier + battle + hand of vengeance + incite + crush + future sight + 3 focus combo once for 5 P24 swings on a beast and a meat thresher, but getting everything to come together was kind of rough.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

Most fun I ever I had with this game was with my Gun Mage JM in mark 2, but okay

This is like the one example of a well designed jack marshal that has pretty much ever been in the game. It's basically the exception that proves how bad JM design was overall

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just spent a lot of money on a Menoth army in the past few month and I absolutely am not spending anything for a PP product until they unfuck the level of distrust I now feel for them as a company

What base size do bastions use?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Bastions are medium - 40mm. You can check this stuff at the now archived https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Main_Page

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a pale ghost posted:

I just spent a lot of money on a Menoth army in the past few month

If you don’t mind me asking… why?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Are Menoth in the new edition basically the Warmahordes version of old 40k squats? And since squats are now basically back in 40k, should we replace "squatted" with the term "Menoth-ed" for armies that get nuked by a game company? :v:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well the Protectorate will have rules when MK4 launches, so no.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If you don’t mind me asking… why?

I didn't know MkIV was coming out and a local store has a big WMH scene. I got really into brawl machine

Will they still make the models? If the only models available are ones that already exist then I don't really care that I can use them

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a pale ghost posted:

a local store has a big WMH scene.

That’s pretty cool. It’s 100% dead in my area.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

a pale ghost posted:

Will they still make the models? If the only models available are ones that already exist then I don't really care that I can use them

No, none of the old models will be produced again, unless they are one of the newer models that were 3D sculpted to begin with, in which case there is a theoretical chance that they might be converted to a 3D printed version but that's nothing to hold one's breath about.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The "good" news is that second-hand menoth should not be hard to acquire, often at a steep discount.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I was in a similar situation with my cryx. Decent sized scene at my store so I got back in sometime during late 2020.

Luckily I was able to sell everything for about half retail, which was way more than I expected

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

I was in a similar situation with my cryx. Decent sized scene at my store so I got back in sometime during late 2020.

Luckily I was able to sell everything for about half retail, which was way more than I expected

That's much higher than I would expect at this point. A friend gave me multiple armies to do with whatever, and I sold most of it for maybe 30% retail just before the bottom fell out.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

zerofiend posted:

That's much higher than I would expect at this point. A friend gave me multiple armies to do with whatever, and I sold most of it for maybe 30% retail just before the bottom fell out.

Yeah I got lucky for sure.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Privateer Press posted an image explaining which of the theme armies will be available at launch:

The image makes clear that, while many former factions are supposed to get two armies in Prime, at launch it'll only be one each.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 1, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The Cygnar and Orgoth armies are being pushed back to December. Privateer Press is pointing to lack of available production capacity as a result of the Gencon sales being way beyond what they expected. The Mk. 4 launch is going ahead with rules, the app and the Khador army at the end of October.

This seems like a lousy strategy to me. Squat 75% of legacy models (albeit temporarily) with no sales support for the non-squatted models. Risks legacy players not actually having a playable force. And if those folks and new players actually want to buy in to the game they have zero choice. Khador or sit out until December/January.

Presumably this is not how Privateer Press wanted to launch a new edition. I hope overwhelming sales is the real explanation, and not, say, the large scale reports of broken models because the material they chose is astonishingly brittle requiring them to do reprints on a massive scale.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Individually 3d printing like this just isn't feasible for production on the scale they're attempting.

It's probably good that they're figuring this out before MkIV launches, but switching back to conventional manufacture probably isn't on the table given the massive initial cost of molds.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

moths posted:

Individually 3d printing like this just isn't feasible for production on the scale they're attempting.

That depends on how many printers they have.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Imagine being the poor bastard who has to go get the build plate off each individual printer, scrape the minis off, wash 'em, remove supports, cure 'em, for their whole shift :ohdear:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The slowdown sucks, but I am thrilled that they are returning to the Orgoth and Stormguard and adding new poses to the infantry units.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

rydiafan posted:

It doesn't though, that's the trap.

Even if they're running 24 printers simultaneously 24/7 it'll still be less-efficient than conventional manufacture because of the time involved in "casting" each 3d print.

You're spending hours producing something that can be done in seconds, with a higher failure rate that retroactively wastes those hours in whatever percentage they're failing at.

Extra printers means they're just being inefficient in bulk.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
3D printing is not strictly a terrible idea for model production. But as so often seems to be the case with Privateer Press strategic choices, it seems like a poor fit for what they are doing.

If it were coupled with 3D scanning of old models, 3D printing is a plausible solution to a production need that Privateer Press had. Namely, a massive catalogue of old models which are infrequently sold, in limited quantities, where in many cases the molds were lost and even if they could be remade, the cost of doing so is a non-starter given the expected sales. Can you imagine how much money Games-Workshop could pull in selling one off prints of their decades of old and out-of-production sculpts?

But for printing the same thing over and over again, in a short period of time? Moths is totally right. 3D printing is inefficient. That's basically describing the use case for molds.

And then, back to the old model issue, it now seems like Privateer Press has no plans to do back catalogue sales of legacy models, even the ones for which they have 3D sculpt files. In some cases, we're talking models were released within the past two years. So they're using a production solution which is a poor fit for what they are doing, and is a good fit for what they could have done but chose not to.

Edit: And to be fair to Privateer Press, 3D printing might work out for how they are using it if they can get to the long term. That is, today's new armies will eventually be legacy ones with limited demand, and 3D printing that makes sense.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

If they had actual industrial use-case 3D printers that can churn out a bunch of high-quality models, it'd be perfectly fine. But I just have a nagging feeling that PP just has a bunch of consumer-grade printers, like a bunch of Anycubic Photon Mono Xs or something, just chugging away in a closet somewhere while some poor intern grudgingly heats up some water to make supports removal easier. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That scenario 100% overlaps with the removal of collosals (that don't fit on a commercial printer.)

E: 3D printing in general is absolutely a great way to preserve legacy models though. If you're only going to sell a handful of a particular something in a year, scanning and print-on-demand is an ideal direction.

I half expected their subscription service to come with STLs, but lol

moths fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 7, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I think Colossal removal is 100% that the new armies won't be getting theirs on launch. No one gets colossal until everyone does, because we can't be unfair to the new models.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

moths posted:

It doesn't though, that's the trap.

Even if they're running 24 printers simultaneously 24/7 it'll still be less-efficient than conventional manufacture because of the time involved in "casting" each 3d print.

You're spending hours producing something that can be done in seconds, with a higher failure rate that retroactively wastes those hours in whatever percentage they're failing at.

Extra printers means they're just being inefficient in bulk.

You've changed your argument from "not feasible" to "less efficient than another option".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's like emptying a swimming pool with a wheelbarrow.

Not feasible and less efficient than other methods.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Instead of sticking 24 consumer grade 3d printers in a closet they could have invested in siocast.

Well if everything fails someone will leak the stls.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

miniscule12 posted:

Instead of sticking 24 consumer grade 3d printers in a closet they could have invested in siocast.

Well if everything fails someone will leak the stls.

They not by name but 100% it was them called out Sio as an alternative they looked at but didn't go with - sounds like they were terrified of being locked into that one propritary manafacturer for the Sio-juice or whatever they call it. Excited to see other companies going for it though, looks like a fantastic process.

I think it's confirmed they just have a big rear end Elegoo farm (probably Saturn 2s/Ss?).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Harkano posted:

They not by name but 100% it was them called out Sio as an alternative they looked at but didn't go with - sounds like they were terrified of being locked into that one propritary manafacturer for the Sio-juice or whatever they call it. Excited to see other companies going for it though, looks like a fantastic process.

I think it's confirmed they just have a big rear end Elegoo farm (probably Saturn 2s/Ss?).

I'm 80% sure there's a video of the setup out there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Had someone asked me ten years ago, I actually would have predicted that the miniature manufacturing method of the future would be 3D printing the molds rather than the products.

I’ve gotten pretty decent success with every mold I’ve made on SLA printers, even a long time ago when they were worse, much more expensive, and out of reach of consumers.