Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly, they're having fun, and it's better than someone solemly calling their upcoming game a new literary classic that will change the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^I never bothered to play it but I thought it was a cool concept to make their Covid era E3 "show" a little walking game through an abandoned E3 conference.

It's very old now, but there was an amazing project some goon did years back where they went through all the past E3s in the leadup to whatever one we were on and they just listed out the games and the hype from each conference and covered the actual release and scores. It was genuinely amazing how many games just never came out, changed drastically or barely limped across the finish line with middling reviews.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ablative posted:

...is there any other reason to watch them these days?

Nintendo games maybe
But thats not even physically a part of E3.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Devolver Digital conferences rule

Also being cringe rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't even. I just wait till they're over and filter things out from the youtube account.

'Hmm, don't care about Fortnite, not into Fatal Frame or the Mario + Rabbids game, what is the- FIST OF THE NORTH STAR FITNESS BOXING- WHAT?!'

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Devolver Digital makes funny videos and they released the Metal Wolf Chaos remaster so they're good.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They're concentrated AIDS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah they are. Awesome Indies Dat Slap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RareAcumen posted:

They're insanely immature. Have you seen how they presented the E3 showcases?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOWFfxs1fg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhj8CjHWuc

Imagine being over 14 and making something like this.

Ok I’m 1 min into the second video and it’s a robocop send up. Owns.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's bad, grow up, be mature about video games they are serious ok

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What I really want is a some sellout reading platitudes from a script and awkward celebrity guests mumbling how great call of duty is as if there was a gun pointed at their heads.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bring back E3 when it was about earnings projections and chart/graph slideshows

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Saagonsa posted:

You know, if you have a real criticism beyond “I just don’t like it” I’d be interested in hearing it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Saagonsa posted:

cringe

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

To return to dunkey I would say the only line that is good in that pitch video is "we have crafted developer - friendly contracts", but that video was definitely catered to only the game playing crowd and not the developer crowd. The developers should be hearing things like : who is in big mode? How much experience does the team have and what are they looking for (other than game mechanic good)? What kind of projections do they have? Are they only investing as angel investors or pushing in seed money demanding board seats, or do they do a hands off approach with development but dictate the whole publishing process (likelier) and demand project scopes? I'm sure there are more questions posed by actual developers, and hopefully dunkey is listening to them rather than doing the current narrative of "I play and recognize good games so I know how to publish them"

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah they are. Awesome Indies Dat Slap

:haibrow:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My instinct, if someone said "I play and recognize g ood games, so I know how to publish them" would be to run far away in the other direction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

My instinct, if someone said "I play and recognize g ood games, so I know how to publish them" would be to run far away in the other direction.

It's okay, he doesn't want creative control. He just wants to be involved.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Eagerly awaiting Dunkey's announcement of an exciting revolutionary new type setting machine, the Paige Compositor

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

for me the funniest outcome would be if it's successful

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

me watching the devolver conference: Did she just say they have a Tyrannosaur... on BATH SALTS?? Backstage?? Haha what the fuuuck is this show?!?!?!?
e: just got to the ninjas vs unicorns segment :staredog: so much blood spray...
e2: Well that was holy fuckawesome!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
it's funny cause none of that ever happened

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Grondoth posted:

it's funny cause none of that ever happened

Oh my god, its a... reanimated frankenstein made of game company CEOs!! And it's on crack!!!! *swinging an axe and tons of gore is getting sprayed from offscreen*

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

for me the funniest outcome would be if it's successful

with a jrpg

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

but he discovered le hidden gems like cuphead, undertale and rocket league, nobody would have heard of these games if not for him!!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Surely ANYONE can sell good games. You have to be a really good publisher to sell the poo poo ones.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

repiv posted:

but he discovered le hidden gems like cuphead, undertale and rocket league, nobody would have heard of these games if not for him!!

hey that's a really good track record for thinking which games are good. I also think those games are good. my eyes just did the lil slot machine turn and they came up dollar signs

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
all we need now is for dunkey to make a too long video about a teen sitcom and we can finally destroy him

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i say swears online posted:

hey that's a really good track record for thinking which games are good. I also think those games are good. my eyes just did the lil slot machine turn and they came up dollar signs

what can i say, the man just has his finger on the pulse of what's hot. ahead of the curve.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

numbers don't lie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fil5000 posted:

Surely ANYONE can sell good games. You have to be a really good publisher to sell the poo poo ones.

It's like how chucklefish still try to take credit for publishing Stardew Valley when they did basically nothing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

He is never living that Octopath review down, is he?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Grondoth posted:

Yeah, ProZD complained about it, and just look through Gianni's channel. Youtube created something no one wanted and is forcing people to opt out of it rather than opt in.

YouTube is giving heavy weight to shorts right now - one friend just dumped her TikTok videos on her vacant YouTube and went from like 40 to 5K subscribers in a week. So if that's your game, here's your chance to earn YouTube subscribers for TikTok effort.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Yeah, Miniminuteman mentioned in his latest video that he dumped all his old TikToks on his channel as shorts and doubled his subscriber count from around 250k to just over 500k since he did that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've got the extension that makes all shorts play as regular videos cuz that shits annoying as hell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Step aside, Drew, Donny Gonzalez has found an even more insane movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2fHTJZqaKA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny is so late to the party there’s an entirely new person who owns the dang house

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh are people still doing that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yo man you heard of this fuckin movie, this fuckin "Plan 9 from Outer Space"??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

To return to dunkey I would say the only line that is good in that pitch video is "we have crafted developer - friendly contracts", but that video was definitely catered to only the game playing crowd and not the developer crowd. The developers should be hearing things like : who is in big mode? How much experience does the team have and what are they looking for (other than game mechanic good)? What kind of projections do they have? Are they only investing as angel investors or pushing in seed money demanding board seats, or do they do a hands off approach with development but dictate the whole publishing process (likelier) and demand project scopes? I'm sure there are more questions posed by actual developers, and hopefully dunkey is listening to them rather than doing the current narrative of "I play and recognize good games so I know how to publish them"

The closest defense to Dunkey's potential project was a hope that someone different on the helm who's sitting on a lot of capital might create a better dynamic buuuuut:

https://twitter.com/ellaguro/status/1573052793186926595

https://twitter.com/ellaguro/status/1573056329610141698

https://twitter.com/ellaguro/status/1573073641138438146

Add to that where he sees himself as an indie kingsmaker and its less that he would make it worse, but that the same horrors would find themselves a whole different kind of avenue for this. Specially when two of the games he pointed at were self-published, one of them Celeste.