Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Please tell me that was an original post with no context.

And then....

Brawnfire posted:

Just to be safe, let's keep on eye on that dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally because boomers got too old to do violent crimes.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally because boomers got too old to do violent crimes.

the spirit is willing

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

99% of people in your area who like to say "that's why I never go downtown anymore" or "that's why I never go into the city anymore" never actually went downtown or into the city

that reminds me of when I lived outside Detroit and my older coworkers/parents/friends parents would always tell me DO NOT STOP AT RED LIGHTS IN DETROIT, you will be CARJACKED and MURDERED

yeah sure Carol I'm gonna fuckin run a red light, when were you downtown last? Oh, when you were twenty? Literally thirty years ago? gently caress off.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

big dyke energy posted:

that reminds me of when I lived outside Detroit and my older coworkers/parents/friends parents would always tell me DO NOT STOP AT RED LIGHTS IN DETROIT, you will be CARJACKED and MURDERED

yeah sure Carol I'm gonna fuckin run a red light, when were you downtown last? Oh, when you were twenty? Literally thirty years ago? gently caress off.

It's my parents' neighbor Karen (her actual name), who apparently lived in Portland briefly as a teen, and felt the need to come over and tell me about how things are there now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
You have to say ciudad

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nighthand posted:

The crime rates were much lower when you in your suburban home only ever had to hear about crimes secondhand from the nightly news, instead of seeing it on your news feed every time someone sees a minority and views "making me see a minority" as a crime they can post about.

It's this except less nextdoor and more CNN.

I have this conversation with my parents all the loving time. No, crime is not way up. Here is a link to the FBI stats for the 80s and today.

They get freaked out because news coverage is wall to wall awful poo poo happening somewhere and yeah, in a country of 330 million people that covers an entire continent there's going to be lots of grist for that mill on a daily basis. But in the 70s and 80s all you heard about was the poo poo local to you or maybe - maybe - a high profile murder of a cute kid or something that made national papers.

Now? Every mugging gone bad gets blasted coast to coast because it's how you find filler in your 24 hour news cycle. Amazingly the times when they seem to calm down about crime is when something actually newsworthy is being covered because all that local stuff gets pushed out.

That's not to minimize how much that poo poo sucks for the people who are impacted by it, but goddamn there's no reason for my parents on the west coast to be fretting over a guy who got beat up in a subway in Boston. poo poo only seemed better way back when because Dan Rather wasn't on TV all day reading a litany of every bad thing that happened to anyone all that day.

edit: and this is assuming neutral news sources that are just reporting stuff without trying to put their own editorial spin on it for their/their owners' private reasons. Which is to say lol fox news.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

CNN, Nextdoor, Fox, whatever local news affiliate has nothing better to do, Facebook, the 24/7 bombardment of doom hits us all in various ways. Amongst my social circle it's not crime, it's climate, or it's the unchecked corruption in politics, or whatever other horrible thing we have to deal with as we live our lives.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's this except less nextdoor and more CNN.

I have this conversation with my parents all the loving time. No, crime is not way up. Here is a link to the FBI stats for the 80s and today.

They get freaked out because news coverage is wall to wall awful poo poo happening somewhere and yeah, in a country of 330 million people that covers an entire continent there's going to be lots of grist for that mill on a daily basis. But in the 70s and 80s all you heard about was the poo poo local to you or maybe - maybe - a high profile murder of a cute kid or something that made national papers.

Now? Every mugging gone bad gets blasted coast to coast because it's how you find filler in your 24 hour news cycle. Amazingly the times when they seem to calm down about crime is when something actually newsworthy is being covered because all that local stuff gets pushed out.

That's not to minimize how much that poo poo sucks for the people who are impacted by it, but goddamn there's no reason for my parents on the west coast to be fretting over a guy who got beat up in a subway in Boston. poo poo only seemed better way back when because Dan Rather wasn't on TV all day reading a litany of every bad thing that happened to anyone all that day.

edit: and this is assuming neutral news sources that are just reporting stuff without trying to put their own editorial spin on it for their/their owners' private reasons. Which is to say lol fox news.

I'd say there is also some of the "plane crash effect" in play here, too. Whenever there is a significant plane crash, suddenly there are several weeks of stories about planes crashing showing up near the top of the page. 99% of the time it's not because there was a sudden spate of plane crashes, it's just that it is now cued and getting attention so stuff that would've similarly played only locally gets broadcast everywhere.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
This lady posted looking for someone to come to her house and kill her dog for her (no vets pls). Just any ol person, come kill my dog.

Crazy Lady posted:

"Unfortunately may need to put my dog down & wondering if anyone has recommendations for someone to come to house for this as opposed to going to vet.
Recommendations and experience will be very helpful also estimated cost. Appreciate ur fredback"

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Fredback

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

This lady posted looking for someone to come to her house and kill her dog for her (no vets pls). Just any ol person, come kill my dog.

Best case scenario, they want it to be calm and not in the scary and sterile vet office. But who could put an animal down peacefully and painlessly at home I have no clue?

A good vet could do an at home euthanasation, but that's a big ask.

It's still weird AF to ask on nextdoor for a death doula for your dog.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In NextDoor Adjacent news, my daughter’s middle school principal sent out an email warning parents about the “one chip challenge.” So they are worried the kids might eat spicy food.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Best case scenario, they want it to be calm and not in the scary and sterile vet office. But who could put an animal down peacefully and painlessly at home I have no clue?

Get someone who owns a captive bolt gun for killing cattle?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The neighborhood squabbles that happen on next door are truly depressing. All my neighbors are loving scorpions when it comes to delivery drivers. Like complaining about everything under the sun. Every driver is ~~~looking in the window and casing the place~~~ or steals something.

A driver saw the hose was running and turned the water off. They are pissed.

A driver saw the door was slightly open, hollared in a couple times, put the packages in the house, and closed the door, they are pissed.

Why? Because it's an invasion of property even though you're doing the right thing. Our poo poo is stolen constantly, I just deliver everything to my warehouse now and have an employee deliver it later in a van if it's large enough to justify it.

It is annoying though, but these people complain about the nicest loving people doing a slight act of decency.

I like to get delivery drivers Christmas presents. I don't give a poo poo if I've never seen em before. I buy 20 little gift bags and hand em out till I run out. Mailmen and garbage guy get a little more significant thank you. What a pointless rant about hatred of delivery drivers but nextdoor is absolutely depressing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Indolent Bastard posted:

My mom used a house call vet to put her dog down. It was expensive as gently caress, but he was a great dog. He spent his last day surrounded by family and friends eating treats and cream in the yard (I wasn’t there, but I saw photos).

No one posting for recommendations on NextDoor is going to be willing to pay what it costs to have a vet come to their house, though.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The big topic currently seems to be outrage that after third grade, they get group pick-up/drop-off instead of individual homes like K-3. At least one claim that thousands of kids are abducted walking to the bus stop every year has been made.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
My GF used a mobile vet that specializes in at-home euthanasia when her beloved little dog reached the end of the road - he was at least 16 and couldn’t move his hindquarters properly anymore. It was a bit cheaper than bringing him to the vet, but much easier on the dog.

And us, truthfully - it was mid-Covid and they weren’t letting people in to the vet’s office with their pets, so the thought of the poor creature’s last minutes would be spent in a strange place and with unfamiliar people was horrible.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

JnnyThndrs posted:

the thought of the poor creature’s last minutes would be spent in a strange place and with unfamiliar people was horrible.

Oh don't worry, plenty of actual humans during covid got to have that exact kind of horrible lonely death in hospitals worldwide. That dog got a better death than my dad did!

Vote Pro Euthanasia! End cold and clinical and drawn out dying processes!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Expecting that's just worded very poorly and they are looking for a house call vet. They say don't want to go to the vet, not that they don't want a vet.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

We have someone on our local page posting about "gangs at the skatepark." It's teenagers swearing and people are SO MAD. "My little boy can't go to the skatepark because he hears CERTAIN WORDS." Christ. The words are poo poo, gently caress, and drat, usually because someone just fell on the ground because it's a skate park. Cue the small town outrage.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I really want to make a post where I ask if anybody knows about the teenagers fighting and engaging in violence, and as the post continues people gradually realize I’m taking about the high school football game.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Using high pitched noisemakers and wearing opposing gang colors

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Turf rivalry where innocent bystanders are regularly hurt by flying projectiles and bodies.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

It was almost like onlookers were egging them on!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

They tend to hold these fights on school property after dark. Some of them take videos with their phones and put them on The Internet --- incredible!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I really want to make a post where I ask if anybody knows about the teenagers fighting and engaging in violence, and as the post continues people gradually realize I’m taking about the high school football game.

A Fancy Hat could probably sell that real well

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just saw this.

:confused:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Did someone completely misunderstand another trucker telling him to watch out for depression?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Scathach posted:

We have someone on our local page posting about "gangs at the skatepark." It's teenagers swearing and people are SO MAD. "My little boy can't go to the skatepark because he hears CERTAIN WORDS." Christ. The words are poo poo, gently caress, and drat, usually because someone just fell on the ground because it's a skate park. Cue the small town outrage.

LOL I remember taking daughter who was 5 years old at the time to a schoolyard to play and there were some older teenagers there trying to film a trick for a skate video. After a whole bunch of yelled obscenities I went over, said I was sorry to interrupt them, and asked if they could cool it with the language because there were little kids present. They sheepishly apologized and stopped yelling swear words. That was the case any time I have ever asked any strangers of the current generation to teenagers to do or not do something in order to be considerate to others.

Today’s teenagers are WAY better people than anyone I knew growing up. When the olds complain about them I am always left scratching my head.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inceltown posted:

Did someone completely misunderstand another trucker telling him to watch out for depression?

No, it's referencing a specific trucker myth that was itself borne out of an even older myth:

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/the-dog.13663/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(folklore)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

...and when I got to the truck stop there was a black dog paw hanging from the passenger door handle!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Today’s teenagers are WAY better people than anyone I knew growing up. When the olds complain about them I am always left scratching my head.

He said, after complaining about teenagers expressing themselves and going out of his way to try to police them.

Swears are just words old man. They won't hurt your kid to hear them. They probably know them already anyway, or will shortly. Kids love swearing even more when it's forbidden.

You just gotta explain that we don't use "gently caress" when we want to be polite, and we never use the racist or sexist words ever, because only shitheads do that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Butcher posted:

He said, after complaining about teenagers expressing themselves and going out of his way to try to police them.

Swears are just words old man. They won't hurt your kid to hear them. They probably know them already anyway, or will shortly. Kids love swearing even more when it's forbidden.

You just gotta explain that we don't use "gently caress" when we want to be polite, and we never use the racist or sexist words ever, because only shitheads do that.

Yeah I’m guessing you don’t have kids if you can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want their five year old being exposed to yelled obscenities.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boomers were always lovely people and project it on everyone else. Your stereotypical lovely violent teenager is literally just describing a boomer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Butcher posted:

The most recent series of What We Do in the Shadows involved having children on set a lot, and Matt Berry was very worried because apparently he swears all the time and finds it hard to switch off, so he approached the showrunner to ask if he'd need to censor himself. He was told no because it turns out children find swearing to be hilarious and good so long as it isn't aggressive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also kids will swear literally as much as they can the moment they think adults aren't around.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Yeah I’m guessing you don’t have kids if you can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want their five year old being exposed to yelled obscenities.

Swing and a miss on that one.

Words are words. Hearing a word like "gently caress" does not hurt a child unless directed to them in anger.

What's important is that they know when it's okay to use them, or how it can make other people feel, especially when they are being used to attack or belittle another person, and how some words are never ok.

Like, obvious movie quote here: We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene.

Just park the misplaced morality thing that was instilled in you, or is enforced on you, and think about what actually matters and how it affects people.

Try to understand the difference between whatever the worst bunch of curses and slurs you could say about whatever people you hate the most, and why that's different from kids just yelling "gently caress!" when they bail off a skateboard or whatever.

And then think how you can teach your child that. And then think, why do you have the right to try to intimidate and force the right way of speaking on other people's children instead of just talking to your own and helping to learn these concepts.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Swing and a miss on that one.

Words are words. Hearing a word like "gently caress" does not hurt a child unless directed to them in anger.

What's important is that they know when it's okay to use them, or how it can make other people feel, especially when they are being used to attack or belittle another person, and how some words are never ok.

Like, obvious movie quote here: We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene.

Just park the misplaced morality thing that was instilled in you, or is enforced on you, and think about what actually matters and how it affects people.

Try to understand the difference between whatever the worst bunch of curses and slurs you could say about whatever people you hate the most, and why that's different from kids just yelling "gently caress!" when they bail off a skateboard or whatever.

And then think how you can teach your child that. And then think, why do you have the right to try to intimidate and force the right way of speaking on other people's children instead of just talking to your own and helping to learn these concepts.

Asking someone politely isn’t intimidation, and generally asking people to observe the rules of polite society around children is a good thing. There actually are consequences if your five year old goes to kindergarten and repeats that stuff, and five year olds do not always understand social context despite a parent’s attempts to explain it. Or they think it’s funny and just say it on repeat at school if they are a little older. Ideally you want your kids to be old enough to not say it when they aren’t supposed to, such as in front of younger children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also asking politely and treating teenagers with respect gets a positive response, whoda thunk it