Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
After buying it two months ago and finally having a few hours to try it, I played Dungeon Encounters. I was interested in it’s lo-fi presentation and the zen of filling out maps. My dungeon crawler experience is mainly Etrian Odyssey, Legend of Grimrock, and some Ultima Underworld, not the more punishing Wizardy series that this is more like.

I was liking the gameplay systems at play, where characters have no stats aside from hp and equip load, and the equipment dictates how much and what kind of damage you can deal or resist. It made encounters into a sort of puzzle and I was digging it.

Then I ran into a gimmick enemy with 10k health and only stole money. I wasn’t too bothered when it started stealing a ridiculous 10000 gold a turn because I only had about 4k in my pocket. But the thief stole money I didn’t have and left me deep in a financial hole in an area where a tough fight rewarded me with about 100g. No recourse but to grind my way out.

Soon after this I ran into some enemies who had an attack that dealt big damage to characters whose level was a prime number. There were two of these enemies in the group, I had never seen the attack before, it hits my whole party back-to-back because everyone either lvl 11 or 13, and I’m tpk before I can really react.

I get that it’s a punishing game. I get that I have a Withdraw ability that lets me run with a less that 100% success rate and I could have leaned on that. But both these obstacles came out of nowhere, with the thief defying genre conventions to steal money that didn’t exist. So after 3.5 hours I was left to use a backup party and no funds to outfit them. I could see it being a daring rescue mission, one where I use the abilities to descend floors as long as there’s a valid tile below you, but since there’s no way to check the maps on known floors I would either have to a) chart my own maps irl b) just kind of guess c) use a resource online. I think those options all suck for resolving a situation I could immediately find myself in again, and at the end of the day it was fun but not so fun that I want to entertain its archaic design choices. Honestly, if I could consult floor maps within the game I would probably tough it out a little more but I don’t have the free time to waste with it.

I made it to floor 12 of 99, and I’ll never know the comforts of Sir Cat. I was willing to deal with a certain amount of friction, but the game is mostly grit and grind.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

I've now moved on to Chris Jericho's Road to Wrestlemania where his Break the Code videos have been appropriated to become Kill Chris Jericho by a mystery man who is definitely not going to turn out to be Triple H

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wuggles posted:

I saw this on Twitter after this thread's Bob Hoskins discourse:

https://twitter.com/atrightmovies/status/1559510294581465089?s=46&t=DVUWTwreHjsDqvituTjn6A

"I used to play King Lear."

Was that taped before or after this?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

man, what a step up! everybody knows who Mario is, king lear is best known for his namesake defense-lowering move in Pokemon

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

The masked man is so obviously Shane McMahon it's not even a question!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

wuggles posted:

I saw this on Twitter after this thread's Bob Hoskins discourse:

https://twitter.com/atrightmovies/status/1559510294581465089?s=46&t=DVUWTwreHjsDqvituTjn6A

"I used to play King Lear."

a thousand men have played king lear, but only one has ever played super mario. i know which one i hold in the greater

also since i didn't see it mentioned before: production was so bad him and john leguizamo were apparently getting hammered on set constantly, with iirc leguizamo bringing his own joints in to work to share with bob. what a great film

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

only one has ever played super mario

For about 6 more months...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

Good luck surviving his lethal ghost punches

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Dungeon Encounters

Hear hear, if you want to make a punishing game, where unpreventable party wipes aren’t rare, don’t make failure such a loving drag. Just the worst

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I feel bad for Hoskins. It must be miserable to do a role you come to hate and regret, especially since it was filmed in a time before pop culture was ready to truly embrace the weird. It's a shame he couldn't enjoy the experience.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Technically four men have notably played Supered Mario.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

bob hoskins ftw

rip 🙏

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

The Masked Man has been revealed! :supaburn:

Oh wait it's Randy Orton :geno:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The thieves in dungeon encounters robbing you into debt is extremely funny actually

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rarity posted:

For about 6 more months...

it's gonna be so funny if when they Batgirl the movie

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

I feel bad for Hoskins. It must be miserable to do a role you come to hate and regret, especially since it was filmed in a time before pop culture was ready to truly embrace the weird. It's a shame he couldn't enjoy the experience.

I sort of got the impression he (and just about everyone else) hated it entirely because the movie production itself was a miserable clusterfuck, especially given Roger Rabbit as something else I think he enjoyed doing despite having to play pretend for extended periods of time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lets hang out posted:

The thieves in dungeon encounters robbing you into debt is extremely funny actually

It is, for real, extremely funny

But I wanted to play a video game after

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I sort of got the impression he (and just about everyone else) hated it entirely because the movie production itself was a miserable clusterfuck, especially given Roger Rabbit as something else I think he enjoyed doing despite having to play pretend for extended periods of time.

Dennis Hopper seemed like he was having fun at least given his performance

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ostentatious Top 5 Games of the Month:

1. League of Legends
2. Overwatch
3. Undertale
4. Fallout 76
5. Fallout New Vegas

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ostentatious posted:

Ostentatious Top 5 Games of the Month:

1. League of Legends
2. Overwatch
3. Undertale
4. Fallout 76
5. Fallout New Vegas

congratulations on your correct opinions, citizen. a fine gaming day to you

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Technically four men have notably played Supered Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8M8I2SYEiA

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

The Masked Man has been revealed! :supaburn:

Oh wait it's Randy Orton :geno:

can he put the mask back on

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

New Vegas is 5th? Sus

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They look sick.

Their dance moves I mean.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

I'm on the last Road to Wrestlemania and it's CM Punk and it's all about Extreme Rules matches getting banned in the company because Tazz is mad people get injured lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

After coming home from work I watch gundam and then play gundam

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i remember seeing F76 was on sale a little while ago, checking the thread here to see if it ever got de-horribled, and all the posts were about trying to get good rolls on rare drops. noooooo thank you!

that poo poo belongs in exactly one series, Diablo, and i do not need it anywhere else

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Supper Mario Broth posted:

Evolution of the sprites of various forms of Mario in Super Mario World during development, compiled from development files using the internal timestamps. Note that Cape Mario was a relatively late addition, with Raccoon Mario having been considered as the game’s flying power-up for most of development.

they got it right the second time imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can’t stop playing hardspace shipbreakers. Don’t send help

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

measure twice, explosive decompression once

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Die in a massive fireball to chill space bluegrass

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well, I beat Baba is You. At least, I got all the achievements -- I'm not 1000% sure I found all the levels in the final actual world. It's been surprisingly emotional -- I legit lost my poo poo at Another Way, which is a reprise of A Way Out, the level you're initially led to believe is the "last" one. Also, in the very final level, I legit choked up at bestowing "done" on all these characters that had helped me along the way. We are done, you guys, and you did a great job. I was really surprised at the tone of the cutscene after "All is Done" though, I was expecting something celebratory. There's a bunch of DLC stuff I guess, but I believe I may well be done myself at this point. GOTY once again, all the more so because I finished it.

Gonna take a break before Patrick's Parabox, and see what happens in Prison Architect if I try and build an egalitarian correctional facility. Given that the first mission is "Build an electric chair," there's gonna be a lot of failed objectives along my path.

Impressive. I made it like halfway into the third world before I got 100% stuck and put the game down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Shovel Knight Dig not out on the PS5 for some reason? It doesn't appear to be in the store.

edit: Xbox and PS later? Uh why lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just Steam, Switch, and IOS for now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For the record this isn't like, a huge deal but I'm EXTREMELY lazy right now and don't want to switch over to my Switch or really get out of my chair in any capacity

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hatty posted:

they got it right the second time imo

Man now that I look at them more closely, the final smw sprites look kinda not like Mario

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm thinking Triangle Strategy could win my coveted Game of the Year Released in the Current Year Award (GotYRitCYA).

Maybe it's because its main competition Elden Ring was released so early in the year, but also i really like TriStrat.
It's the perfect Switch game, turn based strategy on a portable system just feels right and it does so many things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

Did he take 3 steps and turn purple?