Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Imagine a campus made up of sixty thousand future car salesmen and herbalife reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Now imagine all sixty thousand of them will consider themselves superior to you in every way for the rest of their lives and yours by the simple fact that they attended this semi-fascist institution.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iamgoofball posted:

As an Oregonian I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with the deep lore of Texas and I'd like to ask this thread to learn, what the hell is an aggy and why does everyone hate university of A&M and/or their football team?

They take the weird rituals that every college has and crank them up 10x and then add a fake army on top until the whole thing more resembles a cult than a college.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

As an Oregonian I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with the deep lore of Texas and I'd like to ask this thread to learn, what the hell is an aggy and why does everyone hate university of A&M and/or their football team?

We're a cult OP

A well known saying about the school. "From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the comedic cadence of the hillbilly roastmaster will always be unintentionally funny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A town of 200,000 residents where the only going concerns are the university and services ancillary to that. Everything is maroon.

I will say going to a game at Kyle field, which I have been to plenty, is an insane college football experience.

Fun story my senior year of HS we were in the parking lot of Kyle Field for some reason throwning the ol pigskin around and I can vividly remember thinking, wait, how do I throw a spiral and it's given me the permanent yips and I've never been able to throw a football for poo poo since. Perhaps the ghost of Bucky Richardson cursed me

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

PostNouveau posted:

They take the weird rituals that every college has and crank them up 10x and then add a fake army on top until the whole thing more resembles a cult than a college.

Some cult facts:
  • You can't walk on the grass or you'll get yelled at
  • They build a giant bonfire every year and at one point it killed a bunch of people and they stopped but (I think) they eventually started doing it again?
  • One cadet brings the dog mascot to class all the time, if the dog barks class is over
  • They have multiple dog graves in front of the football stadium for the previous mascots

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
A former student of mine came to visit a couple of years ago, and he had ended up attending A&M. I guess he would’ve just finished his freshman year at the time of the visit. He excitedly told me the story of how a bunch of other students had taped him to a chair and threw him out a window. I didn’t really follow up for context, but this was sincerely presented as a good thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's only certain grass you can get yelled at for but what will absolutely get you yelled at is not removing your hat in the MSC, full on corps dudes screaming "UNNNNNCOVER!" at some 12 year old

https://twitter.com/dril/status/912753223118749696?lang=en

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, renamed Texas A&M University 1963, historically was an ag school so has Aggie as the student nickname (like Utah State or New Mexico State), which became aggy as an insult from those dirty teasips in Austin.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea the forbidden grass is only the MSC grass right outside since it’s technically a memorial to deads and all. The yelling about hats inside the MSC will never not be funny though because it’s an insane reactionary thrashing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Unless you’re in the corps where they have extra stupid rules about where you can walk on other parts of campus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Unless you’re in the corps where they have extra stupid rules about where you can walk on other parts of campus.

Was in the corps. Mostly just “Walking on grass as a shortcut is a senior perk”

The Corps was fine. Didn’t end up joining the military my junior and senior year but it was still worthwhile. There are definitely a ton of aspects and people that are real dumb but in terms of a leadership and politicking laboratory I don’t think there’s many places to experience that as a 18-22 year old kid getting ready for the real world.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Didnt you have certain squares on the quad you kept freshmen off of or is that just early 2000s corps rumors? I have no idea what cts got up to on the southside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Corps was fine. Didn’t end up joining the military my junior and senior year but it was still worthwhile. There are definitely a ton of aspects and people that are real dumb but in terms of a leadership and politicking laboratory I don’t think there’s many places to experience that as a 18-22 year old kid getting ready for the real world.

Also you get a sword

Also also there's some branch you cain't walk under with your sweetheart unless you intend on marryin her

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

How often did you have to squeeze your own nutsack to yell louder?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Iamgoofball posted:

There's a lot of (mostly) good-natured rivalry between colleges here in the Lone Star State. Same with cities. This thread just skews Austin/Houston, so A&M (as well as Dallas) tends to be a punching bag. A&M was a great experience for me, personally. A lot of the cult mentality is there, for sure, but most of the traditions are harmless and are a cool part of the overall experience. It isn't helped by the fact that a previous governor of Texas, Rick Perry (somehow not as bad as the governors preceding/succeeding him) is a big Aggie and notably got a D in Animal Husbandry or Meats or some poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Didnt you have certain squares on the quad you kept freshmen off of or is that just early 2000s corps rumors? I have no idea what cts got up to on the southside.

Ah yea there was a bunch of 1ft border squares lining the quad you had to step over as freshmen. I think they're gone now when they redid the quad. I think the justification was ultimately just another aspect of learning discipline and to be mindful of your surroundings.

zoux posted:

Also you get a sword

Also also there's some branch you cain't walk under with your sweetheart unless you intend on marryin her

Things like that I always felt were just kinda fun. I never got a sword because I wasn't in a leadership position that required one. My boots though were instantly donated to the Corps center so some other kid doesn't have to drop $1200 on a pair of shoes they'll wear for a grand total of 9 months.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I was a sophomore during that game and it was quite the embarrassment for that outfit when that all came out. There's an old Texas Monthly article that explains it thusly "“Squeeze, Ags!’’ These yell leaders are—yes, it’s true—squeezing their privates in order to share pain with the team on the football field. Nobody knows who first came up with this idea, but it’s never caught on with anyone but Aggies." I thought it was ridiculous at the time and I still do. Just bemoan and yell at the poo poo coaching like everyone else. Some outfits were a bit more hardcore in their poo poo but most people were just getting by and didn't do things like that. Each outfit has its own sort of personality. You have your jock outfits, frat outfits, nerd outfits, kinda religiously ones, super "aggie" ones. So the corps as a whole isn't grabbing their balls

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 24, 2022

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Back when the entire student body’s phone numbers and emails were posted on the intranets directory search (directory.TAMU.edu or something) I looked up the yell leaders and called their dorm to ask if they were really squeezing nuts. Hung up without an answer,

And that’s exactly what we’re gonna do to em Ags!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's every awful thing about college ratcheted up to 11 combined with even more military worship

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would kinda like to be at the arkansas-a&m game tonight tbh

andrew callaghan better be in that tailgate lot

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

god please deliver me from the incessant tribfest tweets

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol is it that time of year

what does pete buttigieg say we need to do to win the south texas vote back

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I will say going to a game at Kyle field, which I have been to plenty, is an insane college football experience.

When I was a senior in HS I got to go to a game and spend a half on the field and a half with the corps in the stands as their guest. As much as I roast Aggies, if you're willing to play along with the crazy, their games are something else.

Cael posted:

Some cult facts:
  • You can't walk on the grass or you'll get yelled at
  • They build a giant bonfire every year and at one point it killed a bunch of people and they stopped but (I think) they eventually started doing it again?
  • One cadet brings the dog mascot to class all the time, if the dog barks class is over
  • They have multiple dog graves in front of the football stadium for the previous mascots

If the dog falls asleep in your bed you're not allowed to wake the dog or move them. You're now sleeping on the floor.

mastajake posted:

There's a lot of (mostly) good-natured rivalry between colleges here in the Lone Star State. Same with cities. This thread just skews Austin/Houston, so A&M (as well as Dallas) tends to be a punching bag. A&M was a great experience for me, personally. A lot of the cult mentality is there, for sure, but most of the traditions are harmless and are a cool part of the overall experience. It isn't helped by the fact that a previous governor of Texas, Rick Perry (somehow not as bad as the governors preceding/succeeding him) is a big Aggie and notably got a D in Animal Husbandry or Meats or some poo poo.

Google is giving me a bunch bonfire stuff and I don't care enough to dig into deep lore to source it so this is just paraphrased from long ago:

At a TAMU/TU (an insult Aggies think is devasting to UT) game in the 40s or 50s? that was particularly contentious a crowd surge had like 1 or 2 Aggies trampled (to death?) and some cadets got so worked up that they were going to break curfew and jump on a train to Austin and burn the UT campus to it's foundation, likely torching all of Austin in the process. Some seniors stopped them and this somehow has turned into another ritual thing that has to be observed. I forget how, but yeah, it was a mostly friendly rivalry between them.

Also didn't Ross beat someone viscously with a cane on the Congressional floor during session when A&M's funding or independence from the UT system was threatened?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bonfire started way earlier than that and was just an excuse to throw old garbage and scraps on a pile, light it up, and hang out. Just country poo poo and it is cool and good.

Baylor did though get stopped from a bunch of cadets taking a cannon to gently caress up waco after a football riot in the 20s. Early football history was wild.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what exactly would they have destroyed in waco

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ideally Baylor as an institution

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the tallest building west of the mississip or something like that :rolleyes:

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Ah yea there was a bunch of 1ft border squares lining the quad you had to step over as freshmen. I think they're gone now when they redid the quad. I think the justification was ultimately just another aspect of learning discipline and to be mindful of your surroundings.

Things like that I always felt were just kinda fun. I never got a sword because I wasn't in a leadership position that required one. My boots though were instantly donated to the Corps center so some other kid doesn't have to drop $1200 on a pair of shoes they'll wear for a grand total of 9 months.

I was a sophomore during that game and it was quite the embarrassment for that outfit when that all came out. There's an old Texas Monthly article that explains it thusly "“Squeeze, Ags!’’ These yell leaders are—yes, it’s true—squeezing their privates in order to share pain with the team on the football field. Nobody knows who first came up with this idea, but it’s never caught on with anyone but Aggies." I thought it was ridiculous at the time and I still do. Just bemoan and yell at the poo poo coaching like everyone else. Some outfits were a bit more hardcore in their poo poo but most people were just getting by and didn't do things like that. Each outfit has its own sort of personality. You have your jock outfits, frat outfits, nerd outfits, kinda religiously ones, super "aggie" ones. So the corps as a whole isn't grabbing their balls

ok so we’ve got a real big clusterfuck of stupidity over there infecting the whole state. The pieces are starting to fall into place.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

i say swears online posted:

what exactly would they have destroyed in waco

Erie, as I am in waco at this very unfortunate moment

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's also the time some totally normal cadet got mad at the SMU cheerleaders, ran on the field to confront them and pulled his sword(yes the dipshits have swords) when they knocked him over.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's also the time some totally normal cadet got mad at the SMU cheerleaders, ran on the field to confront them and pulled his sword(yes the dipshits have swords) when they knocked him over.

It was even dumber than that:

Was in the corps.

Didn’t end up joining the military

This is probably the funniest thing about the corps to me. A lot of them don't even join the military they just cosplayed for 4 years for no real reason.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Lmao COVID stole from my brain the exact circumstances, it's magical

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I went to SMU a billion years ago, I remember being very impressed and very surprised by only two things:

1) How prominent the business school is in Dallas and NY
2) How much cocaine the cheerleaders did

I don't even know when someone drew a sword on the cheerleaders (it can't have been recent), but I assure you the cheerleaders could not be stopped by mortal arms

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lmao COVID stole from my brain the exact circumstances, it's magical

It's beautiful. Like yeah, dude you have a sword (that you are most definitely never supposed to draw), but you are surrounded by a bunch of dudes that are in much better shape than you.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
They were disrespecting the [checks notes] hallowed astroturf of 1980s Kyle Field!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texas grid doing wonders right now.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Nonsense posted:

Texas grid doing wonders right now.

Second summer is always a bitch. ERCOT is a room full of puckered assholes right now, just wanting the temps to drop so they can relax until snow season in February.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh that's a sabre, not an epee. try slashing before a thrust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1573046484949499906

This guy is easily in the top ten most powerful men in the state

Got the new bivalent shot on Thursday and so far the only thing out of the ordinary that I was connected to was a sudden need to connect with my nyquil and dayquil bottles. poo poo gave me some horrible fever chills whenever it was time for my next dose.

Oh and I made a connection with the chocolate chip cookies and ice-cream pops I got myself as a treat because I knew my weekend would suck.

mastajake posted:

Meanwhile I sit over with the rest of the Raiders, generally glad we're ignored. Though we did end up with the guy ringing the bell so hard that looked like he was jerking himself at the game.

Oh and I'm not in Lubbock right now but the town is probably half burnt to ruins in celebration of them beating UT in what's likely to be the last time UT comes to town to play for the foreseeable future. When Tech wins, Lubbock's response is less a party and more a riot.