Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That dog feels like prime "oh this'd be good for Daniella, oh wait she can't take it" fodder if it is unchanged. Probably won't be a lone multi-class card in the set though so she might just be out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
No I mean you use this book to deal with the enemy, taking an AoO in the process. Then next turn you get off a huge heal so the AoO didn't matter.

Flashlight 3 is very, very good btw. Especially with the new Survivor 0 difficulty skill test archetype.

Guard Dog 2 is also very nice, though directly competing with Beat Cop 2 makes it difficult to justify. In general though I think Guard Dog 0 > Beat Cop 0.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 18, 2022

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Orange Devil posted:

No I mean you use this book to deal with the enemy, taking an AoO in the process. Then next turn you get off a huge heal so the AoO didn't matter.

AoO's shouldn't matter because even with its recent taboo, prophsiae profana lets you ignore one a turn

There is no end to the absolutely ridiculous janky stuff that book lets you pull off, especially in combination with Gene Beauregard

Tomes are really good, is what I'm saying

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I have been craving a new card game to play but didn't wanna go into a endless money sink like MtG. Plus I preferred Draft over any of the constructed formats.

Anyway, Arkham Horror sounded fun from what I saw in a few youtube videos so i decided to dip in. Ok maybe I cannonballed in by buying the Revised Core set and the Carcsoa set, plus 2 of the Carcosa packs.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

While the money sink hole isn't endless it is pretty deep. It's pretty good though so it's not the worst financial decision to make. With the expansion boxes/packs, keep in mind that each cycle tells a full story so (IMO) it's best to get a complete cycle before moving on to another, rather than grabbing individual packs for specific cards.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

BigRed0427 posted:

I have been craving a new card game to play but didn't wanna go into a endless money sink like MtG. Plus I preferred Draft over any of the constructed formats.

Anyway, Arkham Horror sounded fun from what I saw in a few youtube videos so i decided to dip in. Ok maybe I cannonballed in by buying the Revised Core set and the Carcsoa set, plus 2 of the Carcosa packs.

Note, if you didn't know: FFG switched their publishing model, so there are now two different versions of cards, and you don't want both.
  • There's the old version of Path to Carcosa, where you bought the big Carcosa deluxe box, and then you chase down the small packs. This publishing model is bad, because it forces everybody to buy the encounter cards even if you're playing in a group. If you're playing solo, then it's fine, except you have to chase down packs.
  • The new version is just two boxes per cycle: the Investigator box and the Campaign box. Each player can buy the Investigator boxes but the table can split the cost of the expansion box. The newest two sets (Edge of the Earth and the shortly forthcoming Scarlet Keys) are only published using the new model.

I just got into the game in the last few months, the new publishing model is fantastic. Welcome!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

CitizenKeen posted:

Each player can buy the Investigator boxes but the table can split the cost of the [campaign] box.

90% of the time, two core sets plus one of each investigator box is plenty for an entire table of four people, because mostly people's decks don't overlap cards (with the exception of a few staples from the core set). so you don't need every player to buy their own set of investigator cards, either.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, ill keep that in mind for the other expansions. I wasn't sure what else to get besides the revised core set and Carcosa sounded the most interesting. The store i bought the sets from had the investigator expansion and the Return to the path of Carcosa along with the main expansion.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

DontMockMySmock posted:

90% of the time, two core sets plus one of each investigator box is plenty for an entire table of four people, because mostly people's decks don't overlap cards (with the exception of a few staples from the core set). so you don't need every player to buy their own set of investigator cards, either.

Yeah, my group does exactly that. Two core sets and one copy of everything else. It works fine. There's a rare amount of overlap, but it's pretty uncommon. Even then, it's easy enough to just proxy something, especially because it's usually something like everyone deciding to grab copies of Charisma or something.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, ill keep that in mind for the other expansions. I wasn't sure what else to get besides the revised core set and Carcosa sounded the most interesting. The store i bought the sets from had the investigator expansion and the Return to the path of Carcosa along with the main expansion.

The Return to boxes are a third thing, to freshen up the Campaign after you’ve beaten it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

So just to make sure, when you say the Carcosa expansion and two packs, do you mean you got the Carcosa campaign expansion in a big, big box with like, 300 cards in it or the "deluxe expansion" which is a relatively small, flimsy cardboard box with some investigators and two scenarios, probably has 160ish cards on it, that'd be written on the back of the box. The packs are scenario packs I'd imagine, Echoes of the Past and the Unspeakable Oath possibly?

Not trying to interrogate you about the fun new thing you've just got into but they've made it a bit confusing potentially if you're just getting into the game and I'd hate for someone to spend money for no reason.

Basically if you got the deluxe box and two scenario packs, to avoid wasting money and finish off Carcosa when/if you know you want to do that, continue buying the scenarios packs in the order they say and if you got the campaign box, the Carcosa scenario packs will be slightly wasted money (and you might be able to return the two you have if you haven't opened them) and you're better off buying the investigator set to get the other half of the Carcosa cards which would be the player cards and investigators.

Right now Dunwich and Carcosa are available in the new format and the assumption is they'll rerelease all of the campaigns after those in the same way, they're just releasing a new campaign now so all the focus is on that for a bit.

The return to boxes are designed for people who've played the respective campaigns a fair bit but they are currently in a bit of a limbo state as to whether they're going to be reprinted/continued in the future so if you're the sort of person who thinks they might want everything once they get into a thing, they might be worth buying now if the price is acceptable at all. Can always resell them later, probably for more than they cost if they do go unprinted. I'm the sort of person who gets annoyed when they get into a thing and find out there are parts of it that are now very difficult to get, realise not everyone is though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Tbh I like the Return To boxes probably more for the longbox and dividers than the new cards. It makes setting up scenarios faster and storage is at a premium for games around here.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Preparing for Path to Carcosa for the first time with two friends. One Friend will be Minh, full clue-gatherer ham.

The second player is inclined to play a Mystic, going for combat.

I was thinking of going Jenny (I've been playing un-taboo'd Monterey Jack and I've enjoyed being rich). Jenny seems feasible as a combat build, if I'm sharing monster shenanigan responsibility with a Mystic.

Yes?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Have you looked into Trish? I haven't personally played through Carcosa with her, but I think she'd do great there. The campaign has a ton of spread out clues and plenty of opportunities for evading over fighting, so having a second seeker that Minh can remotely support seems like it would fit nicely, especially if the mystic goes full combat/mythos mitigation

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel like a lot of the cards that made Jenny great came out in 2020–21/aren’t out yet. Embezzled treasure, well-connected(2), enchanted weapon for her pistols, savant, all make up for some weaknesses in her kit. You can make some headway with bandolier but she wants the black fan and tons of money, making her a Preston that doesn’t fear the encounter phase.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

postmodifier posted:

Have you looked into Trish? I haven't personally played through Carcosa with her, but I think she'd do great there. The campaign has a ton of spread out clues and plenty of opportunities for evading over fighting, so having a second seeker that Minh can remotely support seems like it would fit nicely, especially if the mystic goes full combat/mythos mitigation

My group is Big Box Card Pool, so no Trish. Only RCore+Dunwich+EotE+Carcosa when we run Carcosa.

Golden Bee posted:

I feel like a lot of the cards that made Jenny great came out in 2020–21/aren’t out yet. Embezzled treasure, well-connected(2), enchanted weapon for her pistols, savant, all make up for some weaknesses in her kit. You can make some headway with bandolier but she wants the black fan and tons of money, making her a Preston that doesn’t fear the encounter phase.

I found this deck that listed Enemy Management as 4/5. I'm really excited to play Leo, Carolyn, and Tommy, so I'm trying to be co-monster slayer in a 3p game without being a Guardian since I'll probably volunteer for those 3. That being said, it's my turn to be Guardian (after Delilah and Nathan rotations by the other two).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I might be insanely wrong but I feel like fighter Jenny with that cardpool will probably be fine as long as you pack at least a few cards that can deal with enemies and/or some way to ensure you definitely draw them if you're gonna be a main fighter or backup fighter for a group and such. I'm not the most experienced but I've felt like the game isn't balanced on such a delicate edge that you need to min max at all for standard difficulty really.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Tommy would be great in carcosa, especially with solemn vow, cuffs, and Peter S. (Carolyn is also great in Carc but I feel like some of her best cards aren’t out yet either; I’m running her through RTTCU with Agnes and Kymani, and she’s in the backseat as support & money includes until she can get soul sanctification.)

I love how the Jenny deck gives itself four stars on energy management while having three weapon cards in a deck, two of which are 3-ammo guns, the other which is a dollar a bullet gun. While keeping that thing loaded is going to be great (add 10 ammo with swift reload, why not) there’s no way to pump damage, and you’re at a base of +5 all campaign.

The problem with sig weapons is you need a way to boost their damage. Only enchant weapon does that and you need access to guardian three.
(A counterpoint is that signature enemies become much weaker as the campaign goes on. search for Izzy is always going to be inconvenient, but Malloy could be mind blanked, handcuffed, hit with bind monster…)

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

Preparing for Path to Carcosa for the first time with two friends. One Friend will be Minh, full clue-gatherer ham.
Yes?

I'm the Minh, thinking about running with this list . We're not using a Taboo list, and the Necronomicon / Scavenging / Guiding Stones combo seemed like a real goofy setup (I'm aware I can't scavenging back the Necro on the same investigate that I commit it) and Scavenging / Old Keyring seemed like enough to keep me cluing until I'm set up (plus the fun synergies with Ice Pick and Disk of Itzamna seem good).

The Written in the Stars is a bit of an affectation, but I'm >50% on skills or things I can Scavenging back (though I will be real sad the one time I hit Analytical Mind with it), and the "extra action" with Eon Chart seems like a good interaction, even though our card pool doesn't include any real top-deck manipulation. Any other notes?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The entire new box was leak in Spanish on the mythos busters discord.

Playing through return to Circle
Undone, the extra dex treacheries are much appreciated. The security consultant always has had something to do, filling the role that Rita does but with more enemy control and a little less movement. But there was a certain asset that was absolutely designed for Carolyn Fern and is a massive economic engine with her and Peter Silvestri.

The “overheal to get plus 2“ permanent is worth the 6XP. Sister Mary would also love to run this.
Even with a very early run of Rational Thought, it still allowed me to pumps vital tests to discard treacheries and hit deduction investigates. But as always, a mystic packing sixth sense(4) hits way above their weight class. And the circle loves putting symbols in the bag!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey, someone has released an Unboxing video for the Scarlet Keys showing all the cards left as well as Carson and Amina's backsides!

In Portuguese. Hope you're bilingual (I'm not)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LONrljaK_sg

Skimming through it, I'm interested in upgraded Baseball Bat and the Customizable neutral gun. Also spied level 2 Chuck Fergus who lets you choose one of his options instead of two. Should be good for decks that were only taking him for the reduced cost or fast on events.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Nephthys posted:

In Portuguese. Hope you're bilingual (I'm not)!

If you grab Google Translate for your phone, you can switch it to camera mode, and have it auto-translate any text it detects to English. You don't even need to take pictures, just pause the video and point the camera at the screen.,

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ubik_Lives posted:

If you grab Google Translate for your phone, you can switch it to camera mode, and have it auto-translate any text it detects to English. You don't even need to take pictures, just pause the video and point the camera at the screen.,

Thanks, I tried it and it didn't work out great but I managed to see that Baseball Bat (2) now gives you a choice to either return it to your hand or discard it to do another damage when you draw a skull. I think it's very good now. I always love to see Survivor weapons that aren't too frustrating to use.

Edit: Apparently the 3rd Guardian customizable card is a weapon upgrade event that lets you redraw tokens and can give a gun unlimited ammo. Wut.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 24, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Just noticed this but it's really late here so I only skimmed the Guardian cards. Fast Handcuffs, best expansion ever.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The new neutral reality gun is a stat replacement card that works for any stat on any test if you spend enough XP. I don’t think I’ll be slotting it anywhere.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Translations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/xmscv5/all_remaining_unrevealed_scarlet_keys_player/

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've tried replaying the original campaign with only core cards a few times and good god this 2nd scenario is killing me every time. I've tried 3 times with different decks and have yet to kill more than 1 special cultist. I feel like I need a perfect mulligan just to have a chance against this poo poo. In the last game I had 5 doom on cultists by turn 3.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s a hard scenario. You need movement, clues, mitigation, soak, and it doesn’t hurt to be able to defeat enemies who aren’t on your space.

Six years after the games released, they’re finally solutions to some of the toughest enemies in that scenario, like a card that lets you delete enemies that have doom on them.

I played it maybe six times and only succeeded with Rita and Ashcan teamed up on standard.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

I've tried replaying the original campaign with only core cards a few times and good god this 2nd scenario is killing me every time. I've tried 3 times with different decks and have yet to kill more than 1 special cultist. I feel like I need a perfect mulligan just to have a chance against this poo poo. In the last game I had 5 doom on cultists by turn 3.

Ironically, what made my group stick with this game was getting our asses handed to us in the first campaign with just the core cards. We'd tried some co-op games before but they were either way too easy or literally impossible, so a game that was very difficult but could be beaten with enough creativity, tools, and luck was perfect.

I keep trying to get the gang to re-do the core with the modern card pool but post-covid its been tough.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks. Reading in the comments as well it looks like Carson and Amina's spoiled backsides were accurate: Amina - Mystic 0-5, Charms 0-4 and Carson - Guardian 0-5, 10 cards 0-1 in any one class of Survivor, Seeker or Mystic. Looks like Carson gets at least 2 copies of his signature card too.

I'm not happy about Amina getting Charm 0-4, I don't see how that reflects her character at all and I don't see how it would help her playstyle. The only Charm outside of Mystic that might be good for her is Dream Diary. They should have leaned into her as the remote-play investigator and let her take any card that affects other locations. Carson I'm much more positive on. All those classes have good ways for him to do things with his bad stats and help out his team. Everyone was worried about him having limited Guardian access, so I'm really glad thats not the case. I think he can be really good with Safeguard, a big gun, a bunch of free clue events and then just a ton of skills. Then you just bodyguard the cluever, give them extra actions and get some stray clues while shooting things when needed.

As for the rest there's too much to talk about in full but the standout for me is Evolver. Finally, my dream of a gun that uses Agility is real and Rogues can be good fighters. If you max it out, 10XP for a 1-handed gun with 6 ammo that lets you fight at +2 skill and +1 damage with any stat is a really good deal.

Also I like the combo of Old Keyring (3) and Illumination just getting you 4 clues on a Shroud 0 test. Crazy.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 25, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, Carson with Survivor cards sounds pretty interesting. I still don't really like the customizable mechanic because I want my cards to have all the writing on them instead of on another piece of paper (it'd be a great mechanic for a digital card game) but there's a lot of other cool stuff in the set and I love getting a new round of XP versions of older cards. And it looks like they really went deep with support for the doom manipulation archetype (was worried initially that Amina wouldn't have much to work with) so it'll be interesting to see how the campaign makes allowances for that stuff too.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 25, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Just going through the cards and initial thoughts:

Custom mods: succeed by 3 for +1 dmg combined with +2 combat is nice. No dmg to other investigators can save a lot of actions as well. The extra ammo is only combined with events that give or cost ammo. Might make some of the ones that cost ammo playable. Otherwise just grab the fast + cost reduction instead.

Obsidian Bracelet makes me wonder if you could play a full support Guardian, probably Carson, in a 4 or even 3 player game who does almost nothing but soak dmg and horror for other investigators, giving them extra actions, resources and cards and boosting their tests. Maybe play the most efficient Guardian clue cards like Scene of the Crime but nothing else to actually Do Stuff. Purpose being that the rest of the team could cut all the cards to give themselves healing and soak and other mitigation from their decks, set up faster and get more uses out of their setup once assembled. Maybe tempo wise that’d end up net positive?

Bola seems incredibly good as a way to deal with high health, no VP hunter enemies for Guardians. Wanna gently caress up a Conglomeration of Spheres with this.

Kick down the door is an interesting clue card for Guardians. Not very efficient, unless combined with shroud 0 archetype. Wonder if Police trait will ever matter and how they’ll handle Police Badge if it does.

Give Courage seems real meh. I guess this is for the full support deck. I see 4 uses: 1. Commit to connecting locations. 2. Commit multiple cards to other investigator. 3. Get benefit of skill cards on tests made with other abilities. 4. Some cards are “almost wild”, as in they’ll have 3 different pips, in effect being 1 pip removed from having a single wild pip. This turns them into 3 wild.
Only case 4 seems good, and I’d have to look up which cards even qualify. AFAIK Guardian cards have below average amount of pips. So yeah, meh.

Handcuffs (2) is so good. Less cost, fast, a combat pip and removes doom. Everything you could ever reasonably want out of handcuffs.

Guard Dog finally gets an upgrade. Good, but not as good as Beat Cop (2). But maybe you want to do some Rod of Animalism shenanigans?

Prepared for the Worst (2), now an almost wild card! Doesn’t matter though, as you’re playing this from Stick to the Plan 99% of the time. Although it does work on other investigators now, so if you want to be ultimate support that might be a reason to bring 2? Pretty marginal upgrade if using as a direct upgrade for yourself, but I am really starting to wonder about that support deck.

Ever Vigilant (4) is just very good. Solves the one issue Ever Vigilant (1) has where you might not have enough targets so then you load up more assets in your deck to make sure and next thing you know your deck looks the same as your previous Guardian deck.

Dissection Instruments seems bad because Seekers don’t want to give up their hand slots for something that doesn’t give intellect or something stupid broken. Unless you really need evidence or found a way to play Enemy Management Seeker I guess.

Sinister Memories seems like a very decent lvl 0 tome.

Strange Diagnostic is uhh, a strange one to evaluate. Ally or Investigator healing at a rate of 3 for a card and action and no resources is pretty good. Better than Emergency Aid which sees some play in Guardian, most notably in Mark. As for the clue, well sometimes you need to clear locations of clues and this is garbage. Sometimes you need x clues and you can use this to drop 1 on a 1 shroud location and make your life easier. Sometimes you don’t need clues but can use them for a beneficial effect and the scenario deliberately restricts how many clues there are, like say Undimensioned and Unseen, or Ice and Death or Fatal Mirage, and this is pretty good. Sometimes clues are even worth experience, like in The Last King. Overall a good target for Adaptable, as value can vary wildly per scenario. Also good combo with Crystallizer.

Analysis. Wait, these are both mistranslated and should say “place one of your clues on your location” right? Welp, ignore most of what I said above. Effect can be clutch on that one big crucial test but you don’t want to slot cards for that so probably will never see play.

Lab Coat giving Seekers a use for their body slot, finally. It seems to mostly support Research cards, which makes sense, also Fingerprint Kit. Not sure of other combos. Seems very marginal overall. Would be a lot better with even a single health soak.

Guidance is almost certainly much better than it might look. At worst it’s an Unexpected Courage, and can easily slot in as an upgrade over that. However, in those crucial turns where a lot of enemies or a boss is drawn, it lets you turn a Cluever action into a Fighter action AND buff all the fighters tests. That’s huge. Anyone familiar with the concept of action compression from Android: Netrunner should recognize how valuable that is and just what this card can do. This not provoking attacks of opportunity is actually also amazing. You might’ve saved up 2 of these throughout the game for the big boss fight at the end, then even if you draw enemies as well (or deliberately have enemies shunted onto you to get them out of the way) you can still dump 2 of these and then just forego your last action and very likely still come out ahead. I can write a lot more about this, but trust me y’all, this is a high floor and very high ceiling card. Just play with this card and you will see just how much bullshit this will let you pull off.

William Maleson (2) is very good. Still gives very cheap soak, now works on other investigators and let’s you actually cancel rather than delay that Ancient Evils. Miskatonic to boot. Worth experimenting with imo.

Press pass is expensive soak that combos to mitigate some of the downside of place clue on location. Gené can do some work with that also btw. William Maleson is the main one of those cards. Seems fine if you can afford it, if not too exciting. Combos with Pay Day I guess.

Fingerprint Kit (4), even more expensive. So much XP cost. All for 1 extra pip, +1 intellect on the test and an extra clue. Worse at lower player counts. Honestly getting extra clues probably should be this expensive, however the ship on that sailed long ago. Why take this over Divination (4)? A fair card in a class stacked with unfair cards.

Perfected Instinct, starts as an extra action for a card and a resource, good if you have something good to do, Rogues often don’t to start with. Get the condition enemy engages you and you can evade hunters before they attack. They do ready right after though. Getting 3x 2 extra actions with +2 stats also seems very good.

Hornet’s Nest I’ve written about before.

Elegant Coat is situationally excellent. If you’re paired with Carolyn, for instance. Can also do nothing. Fun type of team-build around imo. If you do build around it, make sure you’re running a big money deck, because I suspect this card can generate absurd piles of money when built around.

Chuck Fergus (2), now available for off-class Rogue investigators. Much combo potential. Particularly in Leo, maybe Wendy?

Dirty Fighting seems like Kymani support. Maybe good for Finn also. Not much else?

Triggerman wrote about before.

Impeccable Stealth combos with mass evades and Handcuffs. Probably better with more players? Not convinced this is ever good enough.

Living Ink is thematically a cool card, but the best thing to do with this is likely to just give your Seeker +1 intellect on their body slot for 3 turns or their arcane slot for 5 turns and nothing else, which is boring. You can go for the big +2 to 3 skills and -1 to combat to also protect that Seeker from the encounter deck, but doesn’t seem necessary. If you play it on yourself as Mystic you can get +2 Will and +2 Agility for -1 Combat and Intellect and try to make it last forever through chaos token symbol pulls. Combos with bless and curse if you do. Seems too risky if you don’t. Doesn’t seem worth giving up a Mystic arcane slot for unless those new Mystic hand slot assets are good enough to free up an arcane slot.

Onyx pentacle completes the “use willpower instead of the other 3 skills” set of Mystic cards for this set. Likely the weakest of the three as per usual.

Explosive Safeguard is interesting in all kinds of ways. Testless damage is always good. You can take it as a combat spell in the Mystic hands deck, you can take it in decks that generate extra arcane slots to potentially do 3-5 testless damage, defeating even some of the nastiest non-elites in one action. Interesting decisions can come up on if it’s worth discarding that spell with 1 or maybe even 2 charges left to do this. Is a Spell so good for Arcane Initiates and gheists. But also, cost is X, so this card is also going to be expensive in the class which now has weaker economy than even Guardians. The floor is an Overpower, which isn’t terrible.

Binding Potion is cool. I don’t know if it’s good, though this might be the cheapest way to generate arcane slots yet, but it is definitely cool. Also definitely a combo card.. Does anyone know how this works with Diana’s ability?

Moonlight Ritual (2), mostly whatever?

Uncage the Soul (3), if you’re playing Spell or Ritual assets you are playing this card. Floor is now an Unexpected Courage rather than a Guts, though you are significantly less likely to ever use it as such. You’d run 10 of these if you could.

Dowsing Rod (4) and Onyx Pentacle (4). Will have to play this deck archetype before I figure out if this is a real thing or not.

Improvised Trap. Wanna see a Blue/Red investigator who has an ability that does things with the trap and Ambush type cards. Anyway, testless damage is good. This one can be tricky to use, but can do crazy amounts of damage between poison and explosion. Better at higher playercounts probably. Net is very, very good also.

End of the Road, good Adaptable target as value can vary wildly per scenario. If it does nothing for way too long it is garbage, if it comes online fast enough it is deckthinning through cantrip with economy and extra action attached, aka pretty good.

Illumination is ridiculously efficient if you can get it to go off. The higher the shroud of both locations the more ridiculous it gets. You need to jump through a hoop for this, but it’s the kind of hoop you wanted to be jumping through in the first place. Staple in its archetype and very likely good enough to include even outside of its archetype in any scenario with enough 1 and 2 shroud locations. Adaptable target outside of it’s archetype for that reason. Out of archetype a lot less good if shroud is higher, like for example in Innsmouth. Funnily enough even better in those scenarios in its archetype. One of the best cards in the box for sure.

Lifeline is very interesting. Combos best with Rogues who both can have turns with many actions, and thus are more likely to get a big bonus from this and also can get rewarded for playing turns with many actions. Also serves as a good insurance policy in those crucial action compressed turns. Somewhat similar to Guidance in those situations, though usually not as good. Also insurance against catching a bad case of variance, can keep you on track tempo wise. Not sure if you want to include this purely as insurance though. Big combo with Stella.

Courage, staple in its archetype, maybe playable outside it. It’s archetype seems real good though.

Baseball Bat (2), finally this doesn’t completely suck. 2 hand slots is still rough, but if you weren’t using them for whatever reason +2 combat and +1 damage is good and the price of 2 is very reasonable.

Katja Eastbank lets you delay a Dilemma card for an action. Also costs 2xp, 3 resources and your ally slot. Seems total garbage.

Old Keyring (3) is much better than Old Keyring (0), which was already good. Extra pip, extra use, potentially 3 extra clues, especially in its archetype. Card is nuts.

Capricious Fortune, both effects can be incredibly good depending on timing. Adding doom when at threshold costs nothing for a huge heal. Removing doom means a lot of extra actions, if you can soak the hit. Both effects get significantly better with more players. If this comes at the wrong time it can gently caress you massively. Seems like the only dilemma Katja might be needed for. Maybe in 4 player it can be worth it to include her and guarantee you get optimal value from these? Probably not though. Survivors do have a number of ways to remove doom from the agenda now, which is a very fun feeling way to gain tempo. Always feels like the game is letting you cheat it when you pull it off. Even if raw efficiency is stronger tempo (less combo requirement, less encounter cards, same net effect), removing doom just feels so drat fun in my experience.

Evolver does literal nothing until you put XP in. With just 2xp any investigator with 5 in a stat can fight or investigate like a champion all of a sudden though. Feels like an auto include for any flex investigator with a hand slot to spare for that reason. Mystics ought to pay attention here. Especially Scanner is nuts. Investigate a 1 shroud location to pick up clues at an 8 shroud location with a Locked Door 4 times? Uhhh, ok. Can also be used by anyone to zap poltergeists. Let’s Rogues get rid of Frozen in Fear with their foot. Can be used as economy. To be honest this card feels a little too good for how flexible it is. If you have a free hand slot and 2xp, why wouldn’t you take this? Cause guaranteed one of the five manifest abilities is quite useful to you, except maybe the evade one unless you’re in Forgotten Age. And then once you have it playing that useful role in your deck,, why not put in 4 more XP to give extra charges and then either 4 more for +2 on the test or 2 more manifest abilities for flexibility? Feels a bit like the In the Thick of It of this set, in that a whole lot of decks are going to be running this. Absolute best for Mystics, whose hand slots are least valuable and who really need the economy.

Refine, neutral xp gain. Hard to evaluate. Defensive pips give it an ok floor. Best if it enables an ability mid game.

Flashlight (3), an extra agility pip nobody is likely to care about, an extra supply and able to use to evade all adds up to eh, ok. Except now you can combine this with other investigate actions (and it is allowed again on basic investigate actions like on Eon Chart), which allows for a whole lot of very tasty combos. Most nuts in the Survivor 0 difficulty archetype. Likely never worth the upgrade if you have a Flashlight (0) because you want a way to get clues with your fighter (upgrade into Evolver instead), but Seekers and Rogue cluevers might be very interested in this Flashlight.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 25, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t think Amina gets very much out of charms because it’s a mystic thing and a contested slot.
I think she should be able to take the rogue Event surveillance.

It’s completely possible to play a support guardian. Although with access to liquid courage(1), Chalice, she death, and some other weird stuff, as well as guarding up to level three, Dr Fern an already fits that role. Sister Mary can take a lot of cancellation and automatically blesses the bag, but it’s tempting to flex her with the Winchester and holy spear.

I’ll need to see all the new G cards in front of me before planning out a Carson build.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 25, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I like Carolyn a lot better as a (2nd) cluever who also does some support rather than dedicated support.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oof. Considered buying a Disc of Iztanna for Daisy, then told myself that it was a waste and that I needed to just stop wandering away from the group. Next scenario, an act reveal pulls the “all investigators are transported to separate, isolated locations” trick and locks me in a room with a scenario-specific but non-elite enemy with brutal stats that even deals a damage if you manage to successfully evade it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Was hoping you would do a review for these, so thanks for this. I'll just pick out a few to comment on myself.

Orange Devil posted:

Obsidian Bracelet makes me wonder if you could play a full support Guardian, probably Carson, in a 4 or even 3 player game who does almost nothing but soak dmg and horror for other investigators, giving them extra actions, resources and cards and boosting their tests. Maybe play the most efficient Guardian clue cards like Scene of the Crime but nothing else to actually Do Stuff. Purpose being that the rest of the team could cut all the cards to give themselves healing and soak and other mitigation from their decks, set up faster and get more uses out of their setup once assembled. Maybe tempo wise that’d end up net positive?

This is surely the intended play style for Carson and it's something I'd be interested in testing myself except I don't ever play more than 2-player games. On paper it seems like it would work pretty well.

quote:

Bola seems incredibly good as a way to deal with high health, no VP hunter enemies for Guardians. Wanna gently caress up a Conglomeration of Spheres with this.

This is the sweetest card in the set. I love everything about it.

quote:

Guard Dog finally gets an upgrade. Good, but not as good as Beat Cop (2). But maybe you want to do some Rod of Animalism shenanigans?

I keep meaning to try the Beat Cop (2)/Bandages combo and you could also patch up a dog, but yeah I'm trying to think of situations where you'd want to use its ability to make it worth picking over the cop. It wins the award for the card most wanted by Daniella that she can't take, but is it good enough to pick Teamwork to pass it off to her? Probably not on its own but with all this other stuff for Support Guardian maybe there's something viable there.

quote:

Prepared for the Worst (2), now an almost wild card! Doesn’t matter though, as you’re playing this from Stick to the Plan 99% of the time. Although it does work on other investigators now, so if you want to be ultimate support that might be a reason to bring 2? Pretty marginal upgrade if using as a direct upgrade for yourself, but I am really starting to wonder about that support deck.

In my 2-handed games there's generally only one deck with weapons so I don't think I'll be taking this, but saving an action is good. Probably not good enough for 2XP by itself but then you only want one copy and I'm remembering my last Lily Chen deck would have appreciated the saved action more than usual since she was spending quite a few on Scrying.

quote:

Dissection Instruments seems bad because Seekers don’t want to give up their hand slots for something that doesn’t give intellect or something stupid broken. Unless you really need evidence or found a way to play Enemy Management Seeker I guess.

You don't have to be the one to defeat the enemy but then why would you be carrying this if you didn't want to fight yourself. Maybe it's good for feeding Michael Leigh for someone like Joe Diamond? I haven't actually played Joe, I'm just assuming he wants to fight. Roland might get value from it too, and he would appreciate the extra point of sanity.

quote:

Lab Coat giving Seekers a use for their body slot, finally. It seems to mostly support Research cards, which makes sense, also Fingerprint Kit. Not sure of other combos. Seems very marginal overall. Would be a lot better with even a single health soak.

With all the Science-traited items in this box I'm predicting we'll get Kate Winthrop in the next one.

quote:

Guidance is almost certainly much better than it might look. At worst it’s an Unexpected Courage, and can easily slot in as an upgrade over that. However, in those crucial turns where a lot of enemies or a boss is drawn, it lets you turn a Cluever action into a Fighter action AND buff all the fighters tests. That’s huge. Anyone familiar with the concept of action compression from Android: Netrunner should recognize how valuable that is and just what this card can do. This not provoking attacks of opportunity is actually also amazing. You might’ve saved up 2 of these throughout the game for the big boss fight at the end, then even if you draw enemies as well (or deliberately have enemies shunted onto you to get them out of the way) you can still dump 2 of these and then just forego your last action and very likely still come out ahead. I can write a lot more about this, but trust me y’all, this is a high floor and very high ceiling card. Just play with this card and you will see just how much bullshit this will let you pull off.

I admit at first glance I did just think "sure, it's fine" but I can see now there's a lot more to it. Good for Yellow Carson too.

quote:

Fingerprint Kit (4), even more expensive. So much XP cost. All for 1 extra pip, +1 intellect on the test and an extra clue. Worse at lower player counts. Honestly getting extra clues probably should be this expensive, however the ship on that sailed long ago. Why take this over Divination (4)? A fair card in a class stacked with unfair cards.

I really want to like this card and I'll probably try to do something with it and it won't be as good as the other available options. Too fair is a good call.

quote:

Binding Potion is cool. I don’t know if it’s good, though this might be the cheapest way to generate arcane slots yet, but it is definitely cool. Also definitely a combo card.. Does anyone know how this works with Diana’s ability?

I believe the Potion goes under her card and anything under it gets discarded because it's leaving play. There's a ruling about Diana that the cards under her are out of play.

quote:

Evolver does literal nothing until you put XP in. With just 2xp any investigator with 5 in a stat can fight or investigate like a champion all of a sudden though. Feels like an auto include for any flex investigator with a hand slot to spare for that reason. Feels a bit like the In the Thick of It of this set, in that a whole lot of decks are going to be running this. Absolute best for Mystics, whose hand slots are least valuable and who really need the economy.

I knew I'd seen this gun somewhere before, and the Discord came through: it's the Service Weapon from Control. It really does seem a bit too flexible for its own good but it's so cool I can forgive it for being pushed.

My final comment would be that I think Darrell is going to rub shoulders with the best/brokenest Seekers and that the reduce to zero archetype is a very welcome new addition to the game (as long as it doesn't prove to be busted).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think a lot of the new science cards will be great with Kate Winthrop. Currently they are overcosted and in some ways… but I liked playing her in the board game, so much as the board game is like the LCG but adding an hour plus to each end.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How does the new campaign format work, storage wise? Do the campaign boxes have dividers and fitted compartments like the Return To boxes?

ie, is there a benefit in terms of organization and setup to buying the Return To box in advance, or is it a non-issue in the new format?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Evolver is such a dumb card. For 6xp I can either get 2 copies of Shrivelling(3) or I can get two evolver rail guns with +2 to hit. Same bonus, same charges and same damage but Shrivelling has a chance of hurting me.

The only advantage to Shrivelling is that it can be upgraded again and potentially can combo with cards that refill or use charges. The upgrade isn't negligible because only doing +1 damaged power action can fall off a bit in the late game.

At first I thought it was a bad card because it was only slightly better than guardian level 0 weapons but it's a bit silly that it compares favourably with a class specific staple in mystic.

I still don't think you should take it on seekers unless you don't have any fighter backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My position is that Shrivelling was already facing serious competition from Brand of Cthugtha. It being lapped by The Service Weapon isn't exactly news sadly.