Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dumpmaster General posted:

what movie is this, I'm morbidly curious

That's the new Lord Of The Rings show, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Xealot posted:

. Captain Marvel has a powerful lady smirking at the camera, but Alita was endorsed by the Terminator man and maybe liking it might hurt Disney who made the Holdo movie?

Alita didn't do a press conference shortly before release saying she didn't want white men to review her movie, nor does the movie have a bit where a guy says you should smile more and then gets his property stolen. There are like three or four grifters on Youtube who gained tens of thousands of subscribers just off of those two things. The whole antagonize part of your audience to make another part extra loyal doesn't always pay off.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

Alita didn't do a press conference shortly before release saying she didn't want white men to review her movie, nor does the movie have a bit where a guy says you should smile more and then gets his property stolen.

That's not what Brie Larson said so much as she wanted more diversity among reviewers.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's not what Brie Larson said so much as she wanted more diversity among reviewers.

No, she specifically said she didn't want to listen to white men reviewing movies "not made for them". Regardless of real intent or what corollaries you want to tack onto that, I don't remember the press around Alita being so antagonizing and it is a big factor in the reception by those Youtubers. Contrast that with EEAAO, which the usual suspects liked even though it's a very female-centric movie.
Film studios also learnt the wrong lesson from that whole fiasco and now the objective seems to be to speedrun the controversy cycle to attract viewers, as evidenced by Kenobi and ROP.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 18, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Munsters are at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spermando posted:

No, she specifically said she didn't want to listen to white men reviewing movies "not made for them". Regardless of real intent or what corollaries you want to tack onto that, I don't remember the press around Alita being so antagonizing and it is a big factor in the reception by those Youtubers. Contrast that with EEAAO, which the usual suspects liked even though it's a very female-centric movie.
Film studios also learnt the wrong lesson from that whole fiasco and now the objective seems to be to speedrun the controversy cycle to attract viewers, as evidenced by Kenobi and ROP.

There's a pretty big loving difference between saying that she wants to hear what a movie meant to the ones it was actually made for and "white men can't review my movies".

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Alita also gained points from that crowd because:
-It was based on a manga property and so obviously apolitical,
-The lead character was more classically feminine than Captain Marvel while still kicking rear end so could be held up as an example for "see, there's a right and a wrong way to do Strong Female Characters" type arguments,
-There was already a more general MCU fatigue.

The last point is illustrative of a more general tactic: reactionary nerds pick their battles so as to align themselves with other pop culture grievances. Once they see a particular work has been either well-received or ignored by the general public, they'll move on to something else, or sometimes declare it unwoke/the good kind of representation. It's when the work is badly received, or simply fail to make consensus and generate conversations around its quality, that they'll keep the woke accusations alive, because then they can stir every argument toward "western culture is getting worse because of diversity, everything bad happening currently can be traced back to that".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YaketySass posted:

-It was based on a manga property and so obviously apolitical,

A certain breed of nerd thinking Japanese things aren't political will always be funny.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here's an article that I think helps contextualize Larson's comments, and yes, it is completely disingenuous to pretend they were antagonizing.

Dawgstar posted:

A certain breed of nerd thinking Japanese things aren't political will always be funny.
Look, if I as an American don't understand cultural context and nuances then is there even any in the film at all?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair, the lack of political understanding in the general population is astounding. I've lost count of the number of times someone essentially defines "political" as being the stuff that Democrats and Republicans fight over in the US. Or who wants to make every political discussion about stuff outside the US fit neatly in that mould. If that's the level of understanding you have, you might legit not be able to see a lot of obviously political stuff because the language used is different from the messaging used in US politics.

Obviously there also exists a contingent who understand this lack perfectly well, but still play into it because it serves their purposes, no matter what cause they're promoting or attacking.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Were the chuds that praised Alita mad that Ghost in the Shell cast a white woman to play the Major? Because that was a parallel controversy. People were mad at the casting but you could make the same argument we make about the Little Mermaid remake-why would a cyborg's race be relavent? What side of that culture war were they on?

Because on one hand, "SJWs" were mad the character got whitewashed. So I could see them being contrarian just to avoid siding with their cultural enemies. On the other hand, criticizing the casting could be seen at consistent with their criticism of casting of other remakes. "This character looked like X, it detracts from the original story to change it to Y".

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

QuoProQuid posted:

the first is just straight white men not liking films that try to center experiences outside of their own and being anxious about their status declining relative to other groups. these individuals see diverse casting as a threat to their own cultural hegemony. they also see changes in the industry (motivated by major studios becoming aware of unmet demand in the market) as an implicit critique of themselves and their interests. what does it say about them that they loved a movie later found to have massive failures in its portrayal of other groups?

I am incredibly skeptical of cultural hegemony that isn't backed up by economic and political hegemony. Even with the best intentions it's inherently inauthentic.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Were the chuds that praised Alita mad that Ghost in the Shell cast a white woman to play the Major? Because that was a parallel controversy. People were mad at the casting but you could make the same argument we make about the Little Mermaid remake-why would a cyborg's race be relavent? What side of that culture war were they on?

Because on one hand, "SJWs" were mad the character got whitewashed. So I could see them being contrarian just to avoid siding with their cultural enemies. On the other hand, criticizing the casting could be seen at consistent with their criticism of casting of other remakes. "This character looked like X, it detracts from the original story to change it to Y".

No, but horny MAGAs were annoyed that Scarlett Johansson wasn't nude throughout a lot of the film like Major Motoko had been in the 1995 release.

Sometimes appearance comes before consistency e.g. Republican/conservative polling favored Tulsi Gabbard to be the D presidential nominee in 2020. Now some of it may've been her anti-Islamic statements. But some thought it was because she looked like an attractive Mortal Kombat video game character. Her religion took a back seat to her appearance nonetheless.

Spermando posted:

Film studios also learnt the wrong lesson from that whole fiasco and now the objective seems to be to speedrun the controversy cycle to attract viewers...

:lol:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Big surprise
https://twitter.com/KianjRyan/status/1571490101162655745?t=_g0Hz3-3Jg8hnLRHGJheXQ&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"ok but SCIENTIFICALLY mermaids—" I'm going to stop you right there, friend.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
scientifically accurate Little Mermaid movie where a manatee gets strangely horny for a sailor

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Stuff like this annoys me because it's unartful and cringe.

https://twitter.com/linaposting/status/1570867891259707394?s=20&t=JEKrY45Wb88ZreJ9iANmTg

I'm all for using art to address real world political issues but this is the equivalent of Family Guy joke writing, where they explain that they're about to do a movie reference, do the reference, then remark on the reference they just made. LotR is often read as a parable to either of the World Wars (despite what Tolkein says) because of the power of it's imagery invites that comparison. You can't just have characters say what the theme is, that makes me feel angry!

That's kind of a distortion, nobody says "Elves will not replace us". In fact that first image is from later in the episode.

What happens is the guy on the right is riling up the crowd about elves in Numenor because one elf (Galadriel) ended up being taken there (long story). And yeah he does say they threaten their job as smiths because they don't sleep and live forever and so on. The crowd does chant "Elf lover!" briefly (in reference to the queen-regent who took her in, though she's not exactly being generous), but nothing like the Charlottesville slogan.

Like yeah there's a racial intolerance thing briefly (though the real reason the queen-regent has been harsh on letting in elves is because of a prophecy from a palantir), but it's not as on the nose as the tweet makes it look.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 20, 2022

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's kind of a distortion, nobody says "Elves will not replace us". In fact that first image is from later in the episode.

What happens is the guy on the right is riling up the crowd about elves in Numenor because one elf (Galadriel) ended up being taken there (long story). And yeah he does say they threaten their job as smiths because they don't sleep and live forever and so on. The crowd does chant "Elf lover!" briefly (in reference to the queen-regent who took her in, though she's not exactly being generous), but nothing like the Charlottesville slogan.

Like yeah there's a racial intolerance thing briefly (though the real reason the queen-regent has been harsh on letting in elves is because of a prophecy from a palantir), but it's not as on the nose as the tweet makes it look.

Come on, you expect us to believe someone posted ragebait on Twitter?!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1572565125999267842?t=ftCYkwRxy5WDT-HJPAJhuQ&s=19

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Who is this

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's a guy that makes really bad reactionary comics that are 99% variations on "You are shouting and angry and my self-insert is cool and collected".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeah the fragility was off the charts.

Also the "Brie Larson can't act" takes, which were absolutely hilarious.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Samovar posted:

Who is this

Far right homophobic rapist webcomic guy

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Who wants to bet this dude prominently displays Dune and Starship Troopers and Wheel of Time on his book shelf as "fun escapist fantasies with absolutely no politics"?

Oh, here he is replying positively to Kojima (whose games are painfully political), and in apparent praise of Dune, which is literally about the knock-on effects of imperialism in the middle east and spice is just straight up oil.

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1080795051582726144

... but that's not political because when he says political he means "those loving [f-slur]s in muh video game" and "those loving [n-slur]s in muh video game".

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Edit: was replying to archived version of the thread and didn't engage with current conversation.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 23, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

YaketySass posted:

scientifically accurate Little Mermaid movie where a manatee gets strangely horny for a sailor

A "scientifically-accurate" Little Mermaid is just The Shape of Water and it turns out it kicks rear end and is substantially more woke.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This is who George is

:nws:
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status...ingawful.com%2F

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 24, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

you know i'll say one thing about that awful comic, both of them are in heaven

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe don’t post horribly transphobic images here without putting them behind spoilers or something

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The idea that Disney needs to stir up controversy to attract their viewers is pretty weird.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The idea that Disney needs to stir up controversy to attract their viewers is pretty weird.

It's not just about attracting viewers, but polarizing them. How many times have you seen people giving extremely mediocre shows and films free publicity just because it angers their political enemies?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disney gets all the free publicity they need simply by being Disney.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I guess that's why Mulan was such a smash hit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

And I who was lead to believe that controvercy attracts wievers.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Consistent advertising is the single-most important element to a product's existence. See: Moxie soda, or more currently, the required output of influencers to stay relevant.

Also why you can assume the stated budget of any big studio movie is actually double for advertising costs. Controversy is additional advertising and encourages people to make a cause out of a product, so yes, it generates additional revenue. Anger is a much more memorable emotion than no emotion at all.

Remember, it doesn't mean anything that a company makes enough money. It always has to be making more money. Hence the infamous Eisner memo of "by making money, we will sometimes make art."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

And I who was lead to believe that controvercy attracts wievers.
Spermando made it pretty clear they were talking about polarizing, not merely controversial. A single controversy alone might have worked for that, but the movie had several that ensured it would have few champions. One group was complaining about the lack of diversity in the production team, another about the movie being made with the help of the CCP in, let's say, a controversial region, and then the star of the movie backed the CCP cracking some skulls in Hong Kong, while the movie itself was criticized in China for being built around Western stereotypes of China rather than Chinese culture.

Basically, there was so much poo poo going against it that no group was going to "defend" it against their "enemies". If there were two poles surrounding the movie, it was Disney vs. several different groups that would usually be at each other's throats.

Had they filmed it in the US with more Asian-Americans involved (even if they weren't Chinese), then perhaps it would have been polarizing in the way Spermando is talking about, with a bunch of conservatives mad about the movie disrespecting men and liberals lining up to support the movie in turn.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That's what I was referring to. While there was some controversy regarding the shooting of Mulan, the discourse died out really quickly because it wasn't about a hot topic in the US. Nobody in the US or in Europe would go to bat for that movie because even people who liked it probably won't care to write essays about how unfairly it was criticised or how absurdly woke it was. When you invite comparisons to the original and change one single that everyone will get defensive about, you have magically created a loyal fanbase that will engage in witch hunts on your behalf. Some of these remakes/reboots are perfect for this because they're so slavish to the original in every other respect that they beg that you compare them to the iconic original--the Little Mermaid more than any of them. The fact that this is giving work and shines a spotlight on artists who usually get sidelined doesn't change the fact that there can be a very cynical motivation when a corporation does it.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 24, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spermando posted:

That's what I was referring to. While there was some controversy regarding the shooting of Mulan, the discourse died out really quickly because it wasn't about a hot topic in the US. Nobody in the US or in Europe would go to bat for that movie because even people who liked it probably won't care to write essays about how unfairly it was criticised or how absurdly woke it was. When you invite comparisons to the original and change one single that everyone will get defensive about, you have magically created a loyal fanbase that will engage in witch hunts on your behalf. Some of these remakes/reboots are perfect for this because they're so slavish to the original in every other respect that they beg that you compare them to the iconic original--the Little Mermaid more than any of them. The fact that this is giving work and shines a spotlight on artists who usually get sidelined doesn't change the fact that there can be a very cynical motivation when a corporation does it.
I just don't think the notion of these magically created fanbases actually exist and are in themselves a cynical idea rooted in notions of virtue signaling. I have never honestly met someone who loves the Ghostbusters remake although most people I've met in the real world thought it was fine and the way specifically Leslie Jones was treated was horrific.

Similarly, Lucasfilm and Disney were particularly lovely to Boyega and Tran--neither warning them or supporting them against racist trolls. So, when they cast Ingram they got in front of it and had her back when the obvious happened. Is that them cynically trying to look good for the press? Maybe, but it's better than the alternative and also once again, I don't think I've met anyone getting Obi-Wan tattoos out of solidarity. Are there people who liked Obi-Wan because there was a fun antihero character played by a Black lady, sure? And that's fine.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just don't think the notion of these magically created fanbases actually exist and are in themselves a cynical idea rooted in notions of virtue signaling.
They do exist--Youtube is filled with channels like these and they seem to be pretty successful. One one hand you have neckbeards who encourage boycotting films they haven't seen based on who they cast and on the other you have completely acritical channels where people readily defend the worst corporate drivel based on said casting choices or shallow messaging while strawmanning any critics as white supremacists or mysoginists. All while said corporation edits out those scenes for China and Russia or erases black people from posters. Call me cynical, but I don't believe for one second that the scene in Onward with the cop, who's on screen for 30 seconds, saying she has a girlfriend had any other reason for being there other than as bait for that kind of controversies.
In The Northman thread in this subforum someone posted they were disappointed in the film and their main beef seemed to be there weren't any non-whites. People like that do exist.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spermando posted:

In The Northman thread in this subforum someone posted they were disappointed in the film and their main beef seemed to be there weren't any non-whites. People like that do exist.
This isn't what you're arguing though. I know people who only want to watch stuff by Black creators. I don't necessarily relate to or get that, but it's also valid and that's not the same as them being tricked by companies performing three dimensional chess to create controversies so they become defenders of stuff they wouldn't otherwise like. And if more characters of color are included in films or more Black creators get a voice to woo viewers like them, then well... good?

The rest of your argument brings us back to the underlying issues that once you start seeing inclusion as a corporate conspiracy theory, it gives you permission to write off any inclusion you want. Even when the actual evidence is that what you're seeing is creatives fighting to get as much inclusion of queer affection as possible past corporate censorship, and literally the exact opposite of what you're suggesting is true.