Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Vandar posted:

I can't tell if this has aged poorly or wonderfully but it's still probably the best thing to ever come out of Dragnet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

It definitely helps that both Aykroyd and Hanks are into it and are giving it their all. Whatever their personal take is, either they think it's amazing or they think it's silly and therefore great comedy, they both are committed to it and that makes it even better. It's no wonder Hanks is as beloved an actor after all these years, the dude goes hard no matter what he's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bunnyofdoom posted:

And it inspired the Kong of Copaganda, Law and Order

I'll say one good thing about early L&O, they really went hard on rich people in general and New York landlords in particular.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll say one good thing about early L&O, they really went hard on rich people in general and New York landlords in particular.

Reject modernity, embrace tradition

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

And it inspired the Kong of Copaganda, Law and Order

I see you haven't watched Blue Bloods.

At last L&O occasionally has the humility to go after police or show that the NYPD can be really hosed up. Blue Bloods is literally the cops can do no wrong and should actually be in charge of everything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ehh, Dick Wolfe has proudly rule one in thr franchise's Bible is that cops are the good guys. If you need to show a bad cop give much more evidence that it's a bad apple.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
yea Dick Wolf is a libertarian so sometimes he'll critique 'policing' as a whole when he feels it violates civil liberties (and usually then like most libertarians he doesn't care about the civil liberties of black and brown people) but that's always framed as those drat bean counters upstairs or worse someone from the federal government pushing it. Any cop individually being bad is just an example that pobody's nerfect and the GOOD COPS will always fight the BAD COPS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

At last L&O occasionally has the humility to go after police or show that the NYPD can be really hosed up. Blue Bloods is literally the cops can do no wrong and should actually be in charge of everything.
Yeah, L&O is pretty loving vile when you get down to it, but Blue Bloods is full on "What if the Avengers were a stereotypically racist Irish Police family that functioned similarly to the Mafia?"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Watch Homicide: Life On the Street if you want a show where the police aren't just infallible heroes and the boys in blue exist in moral grey areas. And the fattest Baldwin brother

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

BrainDance posted:

At the end when he's like "it has for over 400 years" what's he getting at? Jamestown was 1607 that's like less than 350 years from dragnet but I'm pretty terrible and math and also at listening to boring poo poo like dragnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNhBq3kjq_Q

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also while it absolutely gets used in the worst possible ways, the entire thing with Simple Jack (even compared outright to I Am Sam) is specifically pointing out Hollywood's treatment of mental disability and how showing it as anything other than endearing quirkiness suddenly makes people very uncomfortable. Pretty sure those bits are deliberately meant to be as cringeworthy as possible... which I'm not sure helps it any, but still.

You're right on the money, and (theory time) this is only a debate on SA because we refuse to label ourselves as high-functioning autistics or low-functioning ADHDs/etc. That stuff is not an acceptable topic for "polite society" in absolutely any way except for pity, cause rich people are conservative monsters.

We never got to have important cultural conversations on mental illness & disability (unlike race which was WAY more critical first) because spineless worm TV execs are "uncomfortable" with characters talking like their youngest son. It seems crazy to us why Sheldon was popular (I hate him so god drat much) but I'm imagining all the ND people who never had this forum and felt completely unrepresented on TV & in movies. And when you do see an actor playing brain types it's usually Num3ers/Scorpion caricatures

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mooseontheloose posted:

Adam-12 (which is considered by some to be the last of the old-school copaganda shows) had a few stories about bad cops or cops who crossed the line. Even Malloy did it once. In an episode where Malloy had to chase a child molestor (who had priors), he finally nabs the guy and cuffs him.

Guy: Hey man, these cuffs hurt!
Malloy: As much as you hurt her?
Guy: Hey man, what do you think I am? It was her idea. (Her being a six-year-old)
Malloy slams the guy against a wall.
Guy: You don't scare me. It's not my fault. She wanted what she got. I got my rights!
Malloy: Well, so do I! *slams him against the wall again*
Reed then intervenes.

Malloy got four days unpaid suspension. This was about as dark as the show got. It was in its last season (1975) and S.W.A.T. had debuted the same year.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

One of the first lines is "you couldn't get into the city without a shoehorn" and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kevin DuBrow posted:

One of the first lines is "you couldn't get into the city without a shoehorn" and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

The city is very, very full, and thus it's hyperbolically impossible to get into it without using a device to cram yourself in.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mooseontheloose posted:

Original L&O during it's peak (Basically until Jerry Orbach left) had a bunch of episodes with corrupt, lazy, or otherwise bad cops, and if the main characters did poo poo that crossed lines (Usually procedurally), it wasn't uncommon for evidence to be tossed out by judges. SVU is the series where the cops and DAs were doing the more crazy poo poo and getting away with it, with that show getting worse and worse as the series went on, particularly with Stabler constantly beating up suspects. At least SVU gets pants on head stupid in some seasons and can be entertaining for that for a bit. Blue Bloods is unabashed propaganda 100% of the time.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I started this thinking it was some intentionally lovely parody and was like "haha they even did the lovely camera quality thing of old shows" but then by 10 minutes in I was like "wait a second..."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fartknocker posted:

Original L&O during it's peak (Basically until Jerry Orbach left) had a bunch of episodes with corrupt, lazy, or otherwise bad cops, and if the main characters did poo poo that crossed lines (Usually procedurally), it wasn't uncommon for evidence to be tossed out by judges. SVU is the series where the cops and DAs were doing the more crazy poo poo and getting away with it, with that show getting worse and worse as the series went on, particularly with Stabler constantly beating up suspects. At least SVU gets pants on head stupid in some seasons and can be entertaining for that for a bit. Blue Bloods is unabashed propaganda 100% of the time.

Even Blue Bloods has the occasional bad apples episodes. But that's the point, the shows are arguing that if a cop does something bad it's because they're a bad cop. When reality is that cops do bad things because the system of policing is completely broken. Copaganda accepts the idea that individually, cops can be bad, but insists as a group they can be good. In reality, of course, it's precisely the opposite. Individual cops can try to be good, but police as a whole are really bad and dangerous.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

Even Blue Bloods has the occasional bad apples episodes. But that's the point, the shows are arguing that if a cop does something bad it's because they're a bad cop. When reality is that cops do bad things because the system of policing is completely broken. Copaganda accepts the idea that individually, cops can be bad, but insists as a group they can be good. In reality, of course, it's precisely the opposite. Individual cops can try to be good, but police as a whole are really bad and dangerous.

The original Law & Order had frequent episodes where the institutions of policing, justice and the judiciary system were questioned though. “Is this a crime/should this be a crime/should this be punished” is a pretty frequent theme on that show.

It’s also worth noting that L&O frequently has the prosecution lose to further those points, that defense counsel is shown as doing important and good work even when they say there’s no crime here, and that several main characters have left with the storyline being that they believe the system does not serve justice, then come back as defense counsel and won to prove that viewpoint.

SVU throws all this out the window of course, but a lot of L&O vanilla really is a lot more nuanced than “get your man, then convict him.”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Stabler getting his own spinoff honestly just kind of makes me sad.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vandar posted:

Stabler getting his own spinoff honestly just kind of makes me sad.

It should just be him being promptly arrested and sent to prison and having to survive there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

svu is now a soap opera / psa on the horrors of plastic surgery

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kchama posted:

It should just be him being promptly arrested and sent to prison and having to survive there.

It's been a while since this thread has discussed Oz.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was gonna make a Fallen joke, but apparently Elias Koteas and Christopher Meloni are two different people. Holy gently caress.

Incidentally, Fallen still owns. I am a sucker for 90s / 00s religious thrillers. The prophecy, fallen, seven, the ninth gate. All good poo poo. Are there any other good ones?

Four horsemen is a dog turd though

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I seem to remember that Brimstone was a pretty good show in that vein. Only ever got a single season, though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

I was gonna make a Fallen joke, but apparently Elias Koteas and Christopher Meloni are two different people. Holy gently caress.

Incidentally, Fallen still owns. I am a sucker for 90s / 00s religious thrillers. The prophecy, fallen, seven, the ninth gate. All good poo poo. Are there any other good ones?

Devil's Advocate maybe.

Fallen does seem like the best of them. I had a co-worker start doing that creepy Time is on My Side song out of the blue once. Ace move.

Frailty is 2001 but close.

e: oh you said 00s so I can throw Constantine (right?) and The Crow: Wicked Prayer (awful but I'm a sucker for David Boreanaz and old John Connor) in the pile

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: oh you said 00s so I can throw Constantine (right?) and The Crow: Wicked Prayer (awful but I'm a sucker for David Boreanaz and old John Connor) in the pile

Constantine is a movie with a weird second life. Initially it felt a bit poorly received because it was one of that post-Matrix surge of people thinking Keanu Reeves was an easy action movie lead that you could treat like any other action movie lead, and in that realm it doesn't really work, nor is it all that functional as an adaptation of the original comics. But looking at it now you can debatably see it find the kind of action movie lead that Keanu Reeves could actually be, even if it still can't fully use it, and it not being a faithful adaptation of Constantine hurts less since we've had more accurate Constantines since, so it's allowed to stand as its own thing.

And of course, it has a top-shelf Satan performance.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Sep 26, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I still can't believe that Constantine is getting a loving sequel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Constantine is a movie with a weird second life. Initially it felt a bit poorly received because it was one of that post-Matrix surge of people thinking Keanu Reeves was an easy action movie lead that you could treat like any other action movie lead, and in that realm it doesn't really work, nor is it all that functional as an adaptation of the original comics. But looking at it now you can debatably see it find the kind of action movie lead that Keanu Reeves could actually be, even if it still can't fully use it, and it not being a faithful adaptation of Constantine hurts less since we've had more accurate Constantines since, so it's allowed to stand as its own thing.

Also Tilda Swinton as Gabriel was a cool choice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vandar posted:

I still can't believe that Constantine is getting a loving sequel.

It’s pretty great honestly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Tilda Swinton as Gabriel was a cool choice.

It probably informed the use of Gwendoline Christie in Sandman, as well.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

It’s pretty great honestly

It is. Not a very good adaptation, but as its own thing it rules.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Gavin Rossdale of all people is excellent in it, too.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Glad we're all in agreement that Constantine is a near perfect film

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Glad we're all in agreement that Constantine is a near perfect film

Up there with the cinematic masterpiece The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Absolutely 100% agreed

e: y'all do you recognize the common thread linking these two all time classics?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rachel Weisz in The Mummy vs Shanynn Sossamon in A Knight's Tale

vs

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Sep 26, 2022

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
This is not a great thread for this conversation.

But what about Carla Gugino? She's Rachel Weisz but trashier.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Rose Byrne is the English Rachel Weisz*

Yes, I understand that Rachel Weisz is English and Rose Byrne is Australian but this is still correct

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

Responses, in order from non-helpful to hopefully helpful:

2000s religious thrillers? My friend, have you seen the 2006 Tom Hanks With Weird Hair vehicle The Da Vinci Code?

I liked The Ninth Gate as a film but I think I probably ought to rip a copy so that Roman Polanski stops getting paid when I want to watch it

There were a buttload of exorcism movies starting in the 00s, iirc "Of Emily Rose" was one of the less crappy ones

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I mean, looking at Hellblazer comics of the 00s the 2005 movie is actually.... a really faithful adaptation. Like no-poo poo. It really does follow the beats and structure of what Constantine stories of that time actually were. The aesthetics are very similar. Pretty much everything is "there" from page to screen the way you'd expect it to be, minus the baffling decision of casting Shia LeBeouf as Chas. The plot feels shopworn because Hellblazer stories of that period were very old and shopworn. The gimmick was long past its sell-by date.

The movie just doesn't follow the way people imagine Constantine stories in their head-- him flipping off a demon after tricking it, being blonde and achingly charismatic, and vibe that's much more "The Clash's London Calling" than a more overtly religious/magical version of Se7en.

Which is the real problem which is somehow taboo to say even though like, it's ok I bet he'd agree with you-- Keanu Reeves just isn't very good in the part.

He's not bad as a movie star. He's got some truly great strengths as a performer (mostly physicality and leading man vulnerability) and a lot of scripts/directors know how to leverage it to get really great performances that suit the narrative well (Point Break, Bill & Ted, The Matrix, that one where the girls torture him, John Wick). Also yes-- by all accounts he's a genuinely nice man who deserves great things and is a beautiful-looking person that 75% of the world would gladly go down on in a heartbeat, all true and valid.

But Constantine is a part that demands more from him than he can give. And watching it I could see that he does "get it." He knows what the role wants. The opening where he exorcises the demon from the girl and is an absolute dick to their family-- the script and direction and staging are on-point. The lines are there. Keanu knows what it's going for. He just.... can't become the character. It's the same problem with "A Scanner Darkly." Keanu is doing his level best and I still love him, but he's just not able to do a role that complex. I couldn't either.

And it's loving weird we can't admit that nearly 20 years after the fact. It's not like acknowledging some very understandable limits will take away from Keanu's good work or make him like you less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm extremely fond of Stigmata. It's not *good*, mind you. I just like it.

e: soundtrack contains this Chumbawamba track that I loving *loved* back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOxsvx-HVU

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Sep 26, 2022