Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a thread for Essen like for GenCon? I'm going this year! First time ever! Hopefully not last time ever but I'm not European so it's tough! Hyped!

Klaus, you still going? Drop me a PM if you want to meet up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm going to Essen in the gooniest way possible : with my mom :hellyeah:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

The game refuses to get past the loading screen for some reason. The dev trying to help fix it was saying that the game wants to launch a browser to log into epic or something and isn't doing so, but it's extremely frustrating!

FWIW the fix was, somehow, updating visual c++.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Christ, Cephalofair sending me notices about how close they are to shipping Frosthaven and my eyes just pan over to Gloomhaven, about ten missions in, sitting on the shelf next to the unopened expansion.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Morpheus posted:

Christ, Cephalofair sending me notices about how close they are to shipping Frosthaven and my eyes just pan over to Gloomhaven, about ten missions in, sitting on the shelf next to the unopened expansion.

I poopsocked it in a weekend. You can do it shorter if you look up the “optimal route” through the main story

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morpheus posted:

I live like 3k miles from where I did when I ordered Frosthaven. My entire local friends group is completely different, and my gaming crew is smaller. Sadly the pandemic put an end to the crew I was playing through Gloomhaven with, so at this point I'd probably need to start it over again with a new crew. I might just do that though, and put Frosthaven on the shelf when it comes in to be played at some time in the distant future.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I poopsocked it in a weekend. You can do it shorter if you look up the “optimal route” through the main story

Wait, there was a story to Gloomhaven?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ubik_Lives posted:

There's actually a number of plot threads if you actually read the text in the scenario book.

The main two threads are Jekserash, which starts at Scenario 1 and The Gloom which starts from Scenario 2.

Jekserah's plot gets wrapped up a couple of different ways, but The Gloom spans the entire main scenario suite.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ubik_Lives posted:

very important lore-based reasons the villagers need you to collect bear asses

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my group played through to the completion of the Jekserah story arc (including some very finicky distance play situations for the last few scenarios after COVID hit) and decided that was a good stopping point to call it at. The box will likely just collect expensive dust now, alas!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

girl dick energy posted:

More Gloomhaven video game trip report: Getting mollywhopped by a difficult encounter doesn't feel nearly as bad in this version when setting up to give it another go is as quick as clicking "retry" or "return to Gloomhaven", instead of 15 minutes of set-up/teardown, and the game flows much better in general. It almost feels like this is the game as it was meant to be and the board game is a clunky-but-faithful adaptation.

Edit: Big shout-out to the modding support, and incorporating a ton of common house rules as optional rules you can toggle on or off (including the ever-loved 'summoned monsters still drop gold').

Honestly there are plenty of board games that would be better served as video games and this feels like it's one of them to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

girl dick energy posted:

More Gloomhaven video game trip report: Getting mollywhopped by a difficult encounter doesn't feel nearly as bad in this version when setting up to give it another go is as quick as clicking "retry" or "return to Gloomhaven", instead of 15 minutes of set-up/teardown, and the game flows much better in general. It almost feels like this is the game as it was meant to be and the board game is a clunky-but-faithful adaptation.

Edit: Big shout-out to the modding support, and incorporating a ton of common house rules as optional rules you can toggle on or off (including the ever-loved 'summoned monsters still drop gold').

My friends and I have sunk 108h to play one complete campaign on steam. This number of course includes both doing missions and discussing equipment, etc. in between. We created elaborate backstories for our characters and the guild over time because we could focus on that instead of setting up, tearing down, and trying to figure out monster AI.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Chill la Chill posted:

My friends and I have sunk 108h to play one complete campaign on steam. This number of course includes both doing missions and discussing equipment, etc. in between. We created elaborate backstories for our characters and the guild over time because we could focus on that instead of setting up, tearing down, and trying to figure out monster AI.

Seems like the digital version is worth it?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

So is it worth me playing Gloomhaven the PC game by myself, or should I try and rope a friend or two into snagging this freebie and joining me?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I told all my friends to get it because it's free, doesn't even need to get installed, and maybe one day they'll want to play with me. Everyone's just said sure and grabbed it

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It's drop in and drop out too with the host keeping the saves and delegating players, but everyone else gets a copy too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Armauk posted:

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/gloomhaven-92f741

It's free until 9/29 on Epic.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Im going to Essen too. Let's hang out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Armauk posted:

Very worth it. The Guildmaster mode is awesome too for learning classes and messing around with builds and has an insane amount of content in its own right (it's bigger than the campaign). They also just added the solo missions.

While playing it over the table certainly has its charms, I prefer it as a video game. Not having to worry about AI upkeep and cleanup is just so nice. Hopefully they make a digital Frosthaven too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Reposting from the Gloomhaven thread:

Countblanc posted:

a few questions about digital, namely mods:

1) I see a bunch of "unlock all classes" type mods, but most of them have comments saying "nothing happened" or something of the sort. does anyone know which of them works? specifically in multipalyer.

2) are there any other mods worth looking at? theres ~700 on the workshop and most of the popular ones are like "+10000% exp" or "cards that burned no longer burn" which im glad people like but also not really what I'm looking for in my gloomhaven experience.

3) how do workshop mods work if some players are using Steam and others are using Epic Games?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hello thread! I'm on the hunt for new co-op games. My group has gone through the typical gamut of cooperative games and we're looking for more.

What we've covered:

A ton of "EXIT" games
Pandemic seasons 0-2
Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion
The Crew (both versions)
Spirit Island (still getting plenty of fun out of this one, but it's a bit too heavy for my SO so she usually sits it out)
Clank Legacy (in progress - only sorta co-op but we're having great fun with it)

Particularly frustrating is the fact that we have been looking for copies of Aeon's End Legacy and Betrayal Legacy and so far have not gotten lucky enough to snag one. Any recommendations for more-available games that we can play? Bonus points if there's a legacy component.

To contribute to the gloomhaven discussion - After sinking 100+ hours into the digital version I do not believe we'll ever be breaking out my friend's physical copy again. It just saves a ridiculous amount of time when you don't have to set up, organize, and pack in every session.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's a pretty huge shift from what you've played, but maybe check out For Science!, it's a dexterity game co-op by the Spirit Island designer that isn't as complex but has a ton of customization options.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Hello thread! I'm on the hunt for new co-op games. My group has gone through the typical gamut of cooperative games and we're looking for more.

I really enjoy Siege of Runedar. The box is the board, a really cool 3d castle. It's not very heavy, my 12 year old nephew grasped it pretty well.

Mansions of Madness is great if you don't mind app driven stuff, and Journeys in Middle Earth is similar but is campaign based (unfortunately you're stuck with the same number of characters for the whole campaign, so you need a regular group). Both are expensive though and really benefit from expansions.

I just picked up Roll Camera and am playing that tonight. Looks like loads of fun.

Just realised you were primarily after legacy, sorry!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Not a Children posted:

What we've covered:

A ton of "EXIT" games
Pandemic seasons 0-2
The Crew (both versions)
Spirit Island (still getting plenty of fun out of this one, but it's a bit too heavy for my SO so she usually sits it out)
Clank Legacy (in progress - only sorta co-op but we're having great fun with it)

Particularly frustrating is the fact that we have been looking for copies of Aeon's End Legacy and Betrayal Legacy and so far have not gotten lucky enough to snag one. Any recommendations for more-available games that we can play? Bonus points if there's a legacy component.

To contribute to the gloomhaven discussion - After sinking 100+ hours into the digital version I do not believe we'll ever be breaking out my friend's physical copy again. It just saves a ridiculous amount of time when you don't have to set up, organize, and pack in every session.

Arkham Horror LCG is a good cooperative card game that has choose your own story bits in between scenarios that can have large impacts on the campaigns you are playing. Though it can be pretty difficult, and pretty expensive if you end up going all in.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thanks, but I don't use Epic.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Armauk posted:

Thanks, but I don't use Epic.

You're in luck, it's available for purchase on Steam.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Not a Children posted:

Honestly, you've hit most of the high points according to both the thread and likely the BG community at large, as far as I am aware. Hope you enjoy Clank Legacy: we had a very nice time with it.

How big is your group? One cooperative game that I cannot sing the praises of enough is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars enough, but due to its nature, it's not often recommended above 2-3. Now, you also said you've done a bunch of EXIT Games, and while I've only done one so far, it's probably a similar strata. It's not literally timed but instead "timed" by the number of places you go and things you do. I have talked up CD:BSI at great length in another thread. This was my game of the year that I played in 2021, and it wasn't close. I recommend this game to every pair of humans I see within earshot for every waking hour.

A game with similar player count issues (basically being 2 player only) is Codenames Duet which I also yammered on about in the same thread. It's the unassailable unbeatable Codenames.... except it might be even better?

You said you played the Pandemic Legacy games, but is your group sick / sensitized to Pandemic generally? If you're still up to try a game in that 'system' in that same thread, I also talked about Pandemic: Iberia here. It's Pandemic except mid 1800s and with TRAINS. It's awesome; commonly thought to be the best non-Legacy version, try it if you can find or be loaned a copy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sirtommygunn posted:

Arkham Horror LCG is a good cooperative card game that has choose your own story bits in between scenarios that can have large impacts on the campaigns you are playing. Though it can be pretty difficult, and pretty expensive if you end up going all in.

Going to second this thing, with a few extra reasons:
1) there's never been a better time - other than right when it released - to start getting into it, they're reprinting all the old campaigns in the new format (so just two SKUs to buy per campaign - one with all the player cards and one with the campaign scenarios themselves - rather than seven products that were often hard to hunt down)
2) The newer campaigns are cool, with lots of interesting mechanics and choices (although I'm still a bit salty that the cool car chase scenario from Innsmouth doesn't work very well at 4 players...)
3) It's a game where the five colors/character classes play extremely differently, which gives it a lot of variable difficulty - if you want to be good at gathering clues, building a yellow Seeker that's extremely effective and simple to play is very easy, a blue Guardian gives you a simple way to handle combat, green Rogues are good at evasion and trickery, and then red Survivors and purple Mystics get really weird with the mechanics and can be more sink-or-swim - generally the colors increase in complexity and difficulty in the order I've listed them, so you can go through a campaign once with an easier deck, get to know some of the tricks, and then go through it and make other choices or attempt different goals with a harder investigator when you know a bit about what the game is going to throw at you.

It's really a stellar game now, which is cool because for the first few years it was out I thought it was kind of basic and really only kept up with it as a game to play co-op with my group, but as the card pool has expanded and a brilliant new lead designer took over they've built a really fantastic and interesting experience off of those basic rules.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Not a Children posted:

What we've covered:

A ton of "EXIT" games
Pandemic seasons 0-2
The Crew (both versions)

If you've got 4 or 5 people, Space Alert.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Arkham Horror right now is a great game that has never been better. Strong recommend.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sleeping Gods for a campaign that’s easy to set up and doesn’t have dumbass shuffling every 90 seconds

or Too Many Bones for improved one-shot RPG

Podima posted:

The box will likely just collect expensive dust now, alas!

Weird, mine just collects regular dust

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 24, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

These are some of the coop games my group enjoyed at one point or the other. For what its worth Spirit Island, Nemesis, Marvel Champions and Gloomhaven are our most-played.

rpgs - Tiny Epic Dungeons (our host's favorite quick coop game), Warhammer Quest: the adventure card game and its reskin once they lost the license Heroes of Terrinoth (one of my favorites, it has a couple campaigns but they don't take long), Nemesis and Nemesis Lockdown (Alien/Aliens themed sci fi. Has true coop, or adversarial coop), Destinies (multiple campaigns but replayability sucks since veterans will know what to do), Lord of the Rings Journeys in Middle Earth (should be a chill exploration game but the timer is pretty tightly tuned so you can't get lost smelling the roses, requires a digital steam app to play dungeon master/narrator. My friend uses his laptop), Hexplore It (various titles with variations on theme, uses dry erase boards. I just received the new Castlevania looking one to try out from the kickstarter)

LCGs (limited card pool, no randomness in collecting) - Marvel Champions (easiest), Arkham Horror LCG (harder, getting reprints and new content currently), Lord of the Rings LCG (hardest, getting reprints now). Difficulty depends on your card pool, willingness to make broken decks/play broken characters, and a bit of randomness. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is a bit more self contained. I got the Wrath of the Righteous set after enjoying the PC game, though its based on the tabletop and doesn't have the new characters. A friend enjoyed the Obsidian adaptation of the base game on steam.

I've got a copy of Aeons End Legacy but we played through about 3-4 monsters before moving on so a bunch of the stickers and packages are opened and used up. It didn't look very resetable.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
There is a reset pack for Aeon's End Legacy

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Llyranor posted:

There is a reset pack for Aeon's End Legacy

Ah nice, I hadn't checked for that but I see them in stock in a few places. I'll have to check with my play group to see if they want to finish the game or if we're done with it for sure, then maybe I can send it off to someone who wants it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not a Children posted:

What we've covered:

A ton of "EXIT" games
Pandemic seasons 0-2
The Crew (both versions)

Player count? if you have 5+ my coop rec is always Mysterium. If 4-, try Burgle Bros.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I still think Imperial Assault holds up great, even compared to newer dungeoners today.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

uncle blog posted:

I still think Imperial Assault holds up great, even compared to newer dungeoners today.

Is that the one where one guy plays the empire in a 1vX? We started that and finished 1/3 to 1/2 of a campaign then the host/owner took a break to have his first child and we never got back to it. It was fun but I was empire and was having great luck while the good guys were having a really rough time of it which I think helped us not get it back to the table.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

That's the one. With the app you can play together against an AI, but I still prefer it with a human as the empire.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Burncycle good? Talk me out of it, it looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Rockman Reserve posted:

Talk me out of it, it looks cool.

Imagine it's pronounced like popsicle.