Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

a) it's not a harley
b) you don't need to be belligerent in every single post

This isn't Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Need I remind

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

Need I remind

Well yeah its a cool bike, it's also a very long way from a standard H-D and looks a lot like the scrambler.

Anyway I'm not particularly anti Harley just made a light hearted comment and wanted to avoid a load of :actually:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Need I remind

i love everything about this bike except the missing front fender.

i don't think it's wrong to say that harleys are not inherently bad motorcycles, but the majority of them are pretty dumb and clunky from the factory and nearly all are made immediately worse by their owners.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Rolo posted:

He got it cause the gsxr isn’t fast enough.

Fair enough. It's incredibly fun to open it up every once in a while. You know, while you're in Mexico.

Slavvy posted:

How am I being belligerent wtf

He says belligerently.

dema fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 20, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

i love everything about this bike except the missing front fender.

A red fender would be super cool on that bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The panamerica seems pretty sweet for an ADV bike, saw one riding down south last weekend.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

I'm coming up on four weeks since I paid off the fucksticks at Yamaha Motor Finance and no sign of a title or even a lein release :argh: Hurry up, I want to buy an FJR!
Ugh it took almost 3 months to get a title released from them last year, they're awful. Call them a lot asking for updates and never do any business through them again is my only recommendation, hope it doesn't take you as long as it did me!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Russian Bear posted:

The panamerica seems pretty sweet for an ADV bike, saw one riding down south last weekend.

I didn't like it at all, had no redeeming features for me.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Heh... I just witnessed someone turning on and riding a bike I knew existed but I had never given much thought... A pristine Honda RC30 from 1990... I got into motorcycles later on and being somewhat young I never paid much attention to the Superbikes of the '90s, but the moment that thing lazily turned on and the dude rode away I felt, actual envy, I immediately wanted one so bad. Now, I know they are probably expensive, this being a classic beloved Honda, and being part of the NC family means they are usually unaffordable, but I wasn't ready for how expensive they are.

Seeing that thing ride into the sunset, I kinda felt this lust, this wanting... I just want one, I want it in my living room, I wanna ride it until I realize that it's probably light years ahead of my ability, but I don't care... I just want to look at it.

I know there's hope, the ugly rear end VF series can be converted to a facsimile, and me not being good enough to appreciate the riding dynamics of a race replica, it's OK with me... all I want is a good-sounding VF750F that looks like that. I want it, and despite my love for ABS and modern electronics, this bike just makes me want to be a better rider... For the first time in my life I have a dream bike, and of course it's a loving classic Honda.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I always wanted an RC51 SP2

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I always wanted an RC51 SP2

Those things sound so good.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The guy I bought my Multistrada from had what he said was an RC30 on stands under a dust cover in his garage. He'd mentioned he was more of a Honda guy than a Ducati guy (hence selling the Multi). I noticed the shape of the bike under the cover, asked if it was a VFR and he kinda smiled and said "sort of", pulled the cover off, and boom, Rothman's livery. It was obviously his pride and joy and he had plenty of money to spend on toys, but those things are rare as hen's teeth so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tarted up VFR750F. It'd be kinda weird to see a 120k+ bike sitting in a suburban Indiana garage.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Yeah, those conversions look pretty good, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one....

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

Heh... I just witnessed someone turning on and riding a bike I knew existed but I had never given much thought... A pristine Honda RC30 from 1990... I got into motorcycles later on and being somewhat young I never paid much attention to the Superbikes of the '90s, but the moment that thing lazily turned on and the dude rode away I felt, actual envy, I immediately wanted one so bad. Now, I know they are probably expensive, this being a classic beloved Honda, and being part of the NC family means they are usually unaffordable, but I wasn't ready for how expensive they are.

Seeing that thing ride into the sunset, I kinda felt this lust, this wanting... I just want one, I want it in my living room, I wanna ride it until I realize that it's probably light years ahead of my ability, but I don't care... I just want to look at it.

I know there's hope, the ugly rear end VF series can be converted to a facsimile, and me not being good enough to appreciate the riding dynamics of a race replica, it's OK with me... all I want is a good-sounding VF750F that looks like that. I want it, and despite my love for ABS and modern electronics, this bike just makes me want to be a better rider... For the first time in my life I have a dream bike, and of course it's a loving classic Honda.

Google vfr400 nc30

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

Then go try a DR650 DR800 and see if you still want a KLR

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Slavvy posted:

Google vfr400 nc30

I just did and...wow is it tiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox-yYLuJ4CE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's really not that small, it feels about the same size as a modern 600.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Impressive engine simulation, rather than just a visualization they went through the trouble of actually building an ICE rigid body simulator, to make an engine actually sound like one.

https://www.engine-sim.parts

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RKT-sKtR970&feature=emb_logo

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Impressive engine simulation, rather than just a visualization they went through the trouble of actually building an ICE rigid body simulator, to make an engine actually sound like one.

https://www.engine-sim.parts

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RKT-sKtR970&feature=emb_logo

That's really cool. There's loads of audio simulators for physically modelling resonant cavities and such for simulating musical instruments. I wonder if you could use the intake airflow data and use something like that to simulate induction noise. Same with the exhaust.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's like a more impressive version of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwbpi3B5_Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV--yAJ9lJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYNZHlnoE4

I still kind of find this interesting how just some specifically timed "boops" can make such difference sounds.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Toe Rag posted:

It's like a more impressive version of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwbpi3B5_Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV--yAJ9lJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYNZHlnoE4

I still kind of find this interesting how just some specifically timed "boops" can make such difference sounds.

Funny you should say that, the creator of the engine sim has mentioned those videos specifically as an inspiration for the project.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I went on a bike ride with some coworkers today. One of them has a Suzuki Katana/GSXF750.

That katana sure is a chonker. But it sounds pretty sweet.

Still not completely sold on group rides. They're riding pretty conservatively, which is obviously way better than riding with a bunch of guys who ride as if they're on coke, doing stupid stuff on the road. But still... I consider myself a conservative rider and found myself thinking 'C'mon, hit that throttle, even if just for that one corner please?'

It was nice anyway, chill people, sniffed some nice forest aroma with some notes of carbureted, non catalyzed exhaust.

Almost didn't get my bike started after a bridge closed and the boom gates were opening. My SV probably decided that was a good moment for one of the clutch/kickstand interlock switches to go intermittent.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ugh. Let the bike sit for close to a month during August, for "reasons" - mainly it was stupid hot, but also waiting for fuel line parts - rode it for a few days, then had to let it sit for another three weeks while I grappled with covid. Probably not gonna get in my fall ride to BC what with family commitments. Last week, once I was out of the hospital, would have been perfect except I still wasn't ready to sit multiple hours on a bike. So I just gotta try and do enough riding while the weather's still nice so that I don't feel like a total chump by the time the snow hits.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Still zero rain and warm/hot in the PDX area

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

So I just gotta try and do enough riding while the weather's still nice so that I don't feel like a total chump by the time the snow hits.

I have the same feeling, my bike's been down for weeks as I slowly pick through a rear master cylinder and caliper rebuild as a first timer. For "reasons" I only have small blocks of time per day and it's incredibly frustrating to spend 25 minutes and make no progress because what I actually need is a solid hour to get anything done.

I'm going to ride the poo poo out of my bike if I finish before the snow falls and they start salting the roads :canada:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rode my motorcycle for the first time in probably a month or something and the best thing is it doesn't judge me for abandoning it in the shed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I rode my motorcycle for the first time in probably a month or something and the best thing is it doesn't judge me for abandoning it in the shed.

I rode a bike on a proper ride for the first time in like four months yesterday and it was a 1974 ts250 with only the lightest hint of working brakes and cheng shin tyres. Idk how I'm still alive tbh.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah, looks like amazing weather all the way in to October.

I ride daily at lunch, just try and find new routes to take. Have put in 2k miles since I bought it in July but also my first bike so I am not over how fun it is yet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

it’s so nice rn

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
It's finally good riding weather in Texas. I forgot what it's like to get home and not be covered in sweat.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

right arm posted:

it’s so nice rn

I've been looking for excuses to go into the office instead of WFH just for that reason*. I haven't taken my car since May and I've added about 3k miles on the Monkey

*By the time the weather will turn to garbage, I'll also be REQUIRED to be in the office 3 days/week. Sweet

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've been looking for excuses to go into the office instead of WFH just for that reason*. I haven't taken my car since May and I've added about 3k miles on the Monkey

*By the time the weather will turn to garbage, I'll also be REQUIRED to be in the office 3 days/week. Sweet

Lol wild

just got to the coast and ya it’s perfect out here too atm

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Do you have enough sway at work to just say... "nah i'm not coming in".

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I rode a bike on a proper ride for the first time in like four months yesterday and it was a 1974 ts250 with only the lightest hint of working brakes and cheng shin tyres. Idk how I'm still alive tbh.

What do you do when a customer brings you a bike with a mechanical problem you fix, and you have to do a test ride when the rest of it is a borderline death trap?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

What do you do when a customer brings you a bike with a mechanical problem you fix, and you have to do a test ride when the rest of it is a borderline death trap?

It depends, if it's really bad I just don't test ride and tell them how it is. If it's moderately bad I just git gud and ride it, not like I need to go fast or anything. Biggest issue I face in that sense is having to test ride bikes that aren't close to road legal, have had to explain myself to cops a couple of times.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 2023 SV650 ABS has a pretty neat color combo going on.

Idk I may be biased cause I always liked how these look.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some number of months ago, Slavvy, you described a 1980s GSXR equipped with Bridgestone BT45s as feeling like

quote:

... a living, reptilian thing slithering menacingly over the bumps, scrabbling its claws with a howl on acceleration.

That convinced me to pick up a set for my Hawk to replace the *just fine* Michelin Pilot Activs that I have been riding with ever since the local tire guy recommended them for me years ago. It took me a while to find a set of BT46s in the correct size with all the supply chain stuff going on, but I finally got both and got them installed last week.

Holy hell do these ever feel better. It absolutely is digging into the ground and hauling itself around corners like a thing alive, and I haven't even pushed it really hard yet. What an improvement. Stuck on some new sticky handgrips at the same time and I feel like the jinba ittai has doubled overnight.

Also turns out my old rear tire was on backwards. The tread pattern on a Pilot Activ isn't super obviously directional, and I never checked closely because I had a professional install the tire, right, why would he do it wrong? Argh.

All four of my vehicles (Hawk, CL, bicycle, car) now have new sets of matched high quality tires and it feels good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Noice :)

Tyres are literally the easiest and most cost effective performance upgrade in existence besides gittin gud. After that it's suspension.

Miss me with your power commander and your carbon whatsits, give me rubber and suspension worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hawk already has cartridge emulators and an upgraded rear shock, so now I'm stuck with gittin gud. :saddowns:

No seriously though I don't even ride that hard, but just in normal/spirited scooting around this feels so much more planted and confident. Under braking loads where I used to get a little skitter and scrabble, it's just smooth strong deceleration. Around sharp corners on bumpy roads I'm pretty sure I can feel the road texture better. Very nice