Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

even if you are happy with the result that one of those miniature food processors gives you, breaking it down and cleaning it is still more of a pain in the rear end than just chopping an onion in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

even if you are happy with the result that one of those miniature food processors gives you, breaking it down and cleaning it is still more of a pain in the rear end than just chopping an onion in the first place
Yeah even in a rare case where the results from a food processor are acceptable, I would still only consider using it to chop stuff if the food processor already needed to be cleaned.

E.g. Tabouli after I just ground chickpeas for falafel

It's a massive pain to clean a food processor otherwise. Just learn to chop onions efficiently with a knife and then it takes no time at all.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 24, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I will use a chopper when I want things very fine. 8 can technically get a better dice with my knife, but the chopper makes big pieces into small bits fast. For the onions and peppers in guacamole, for example, that's good enough for me.

Mine was a gift and I don't think I'd ever pay Pampered Chef prices for one if it was my money.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Xenoborg posted:

I want to get a food chopper. Mostly for garlic and jalapenos, but wouldn't mind if it could do bigger things onions too.

Something like this seems good, but any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTFU...18%7CB0002YTFU0
Don't get the slapchop kind, get this style for diced onions, celery, etc. It works perfectly. I wouldn't do it if you have to wash it by hand, but if you have a dishwasher you can just throw it in, it's great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For garlic, I use the Joseph Joseph press. They also sell a cheaper one with plastic handles that will snap off after about a year, but these all-metal ones will last forever.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

No love for Vince and his nuts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I suddenly realize who the TF2 Scout reminds me of. They both came out in 2007, too.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed with spices.

I started to cook Dal awhile back and I'm finally adding Hing, Dried Fenugreek Leaves, Mace, and Amchur to my collection.

I have a spice rack like this (except with six slots per level for eighteen total) that I use for all my McCormick-type spices that come in a simple small jar. It fits in one of my cabinets and stays in there.

However a lot of my more-ethnic spices are bought in a bag and it would be nice to not store them by twist-tying.

I understand that for Indian Spices, the traditional storage method is a Masala Dabba. This is the best one I could find that has a divider in the middle container. I might actually get two because I think that's how many spices I have for Dal.

Does anyone have any insights or alternative suggestions? Most of these spices I don't need unless I'm making Dal, Curry, or something that randomly calls for cloves. That's what made these Masala Dabba attractive to me as I can just pull them out and have everything at hand.

I don't have much counterspace to spare, so any carousel-type thing isn't an option.

Also, just for fun - has anyone ever tried the wooden spice boxes? Like this one?

I love the aesthetics, but it looks like it would be easy for powdered spices to tip into each other unless you keep it exactly upright. That seems like something that would be easy to forget.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 25, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

You can be OCD like me and go with mason jars

They’re like a buck each and unlike most spice jars are actually 100% airtight, which roughly doubled their useful life (I go two years between throwing them all out and restocking)

Also if you’re concerned about them tipping over this is what a 4oz mason jar is shaped like

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Is there a jar that is of the kind of diameter as that one, but shorter? I've been making chocolate pudding to put into jars, but man, but the little baby-food jars I've been using are unsatisfying and annoying.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is there a jar that is of the kind of diameter as that one, but shorter? I've been making chocolate pudding to put into jars, but man, but the little baby-food jars I've been using are unsatisfying and annoying.

Not sure if it's hard to tell but those smaller jars are only like 3" tall, did you want something smaller than that?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

unknown posted:

No love for Vince and his nuts?

I got this thing for free at a Jewel in Chicago (Acme in Philly). It cuts cucumbers into spirals which works great for my sesame cold peanut noodles. I didn't pay anything for it, I just had to watch the demostration. But I use it a lot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Steve Yun posted:

They’re like a buck each and unlike most spice jars are actually 100% airtight, which roughly doubled their useful life (I go two years between throwing them all out and restocking)

Also if you’re concerned about them tipping over this is what a 4oz mason jar is shaped like

I love that you have a spice log

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Steve Yun posted:

holy poo poo this is a good idea. thank you

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I have a few spices in mason jars currently, but I prefer that for storing excess bulk spices I have too much of. The lids are too much of a chore if I need a dozen spices for a dish.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

FaradayCage posted:

I prefer that for storing excess bulk spices I have too much of.

This is how I use mason jars too. I'm thinking about moving the rest of my spices into jars like this though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My only problem with the lil' shorty mason jars is that they don't stack very well and wobble especially if you try to go 3 high.

I'm okay with the various sized black lid plastic containers from Amzn and just use teflon tape around the threads of the stuff I don't use very often. :newlol:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Wassup kitchen goons.

I'm interested in buying a new cookware set. Some background, I already have a cast iron but also appreciate the versatility of non-stick or similar for cooking basic eggs and other sauces. I'm not the only cook in my family so I want to purchase something that can be used by mrs. adnam and little adnams without them having to lift heavy ingots of steel repeatedly. For context, my old non-stick is finally dying, and I cook primarily on a home gas range that's not too expensive.

Budget is under a $1000 and I was looking at either of these: All Clad Ha1 Non-stick or the Le Creuset Pro 10-piece Nonstick set since I've also got a few Le Creuset things and they're probably the only thing I've kept in the last 10 years of chicken, I mean kitchen goonery.

Carbon and stainless steel are options, but I'm not too familiar with how to cook with them, I'll be honest. Thanks

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Random Hero posted:

This is how I use mason jars too. I'm thinking about moving the rest of my spices into jars like this though.

I literally just found those. Be sure to check the different sizes JuneHeart offers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

adnam posted:

Wassup kitchen goons.

I'm interested in buying a new cookware set. Some background, I already have a cast iron but also appreciate the versatility of non-stick or similar for cooking basic eggs and other sauces. I'm not the only cook in my family so I want to purchase something that can be used by mrs. adnam and little adnams without them having to lift heavy ingots of steel repeatedly. For context, my old non-stick is finally dying, and I cook primarily on a home gas range that's not too expensive.

Budget is under a $1000 and I was looking at either of these: All Clad Ha1 Non-stick or the Le Creuset Pro 10-piece Nonstick set since I've also got a few Le Creuset things and they're probably the only thing I've kept in the last 10 years of chicken, I mean kitchen goonery.

Carbon and stainless steel are options, but I'm not too familiar with how to cook with them, I'll be honest. Thanks
Getting an expensive nonstick set is dumb. You only need like one nonstick pan and it can be cheap since you'll use it on low heat and it won't be durable.

I would recommend fully clad stainless for everything else but maybe start with one or two items and get used to it.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think you need to choose between all nonstick or all stainless.

Edit: also nonstick sucks for things like pots and saucepans because it means you always have to be really careful not to scratch them and there's no real reason you would need them to be nonstick in the first place

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 25, 2022

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I will say those ulu knives and chopping bowl sets are gimmicky, but effective at chopping/mincing herbs and garlic and whatnot.

https://shop.theulufactory.com/Bowl-and-Ulu-Sets_c14.htm

It's great for small quantities of stuff. The cutting bowl keeps everything contained easier than a cutting board. Still a gimmick, but a surprisingly useful gimmick.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

I will say those ulu knives and chopping bowl sets are gimmicky, but effective at chopping/mincing herbs and garlic and whatnot.

https://shop.theulufactory.com/Bowl-and-Ulu-Sets_c14.htm

It's great for small quantities of stuff. The cutting bowl keeps everything contained easier than a cutting board. Still a gimmick, but a surprisingly useful gimmick.

Tempting.

I mince a lot of garlic, ginger, and chiles. I feel like most herbs would be awkward in it, except maybe rosemary.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

adnam posted:

Wassup kitchen goons.

Ten piece sets are gimmicks to extract money from people trying to start a kitchen.

You need 3-4 of those items, probably. 1 Fry pan, 1 sauce pot, 6-8 qt stock pot. Possibly a nonstick frying pan for eggs and fish, but definitely not a ten piece set.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

adnam posted:

Wassup kitchen goons.

https://www.homeandcooksales.com

All-Clad sells factory second and packaging damage pieces and sets once every month or two. Don’t get a nonstick set, either get a few individual stainless steel pieces like the previous poster said or go for a smaller set with 1 saucepan, 1 sauté pan, 1 frying pan, and maybe a stock pot if you don’t have one.

I’ve gotten several items from these sales and have never had any problem with them. The defects I’ve found are minuscule and not noticeable after a few uses, and packaging damage is utterly irrelevant to cookware quality.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Does anyone have a large (10+ quart) rondeau they like? I want to up my stew sizes and my 7 quarter can't fit that much potato. (I've got a very wide 12" induction burber so 14" diameters should be ok)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Lawnie posted:

https://www.homeandcooksales.com

All-Clad sells factory second and packaging damage pieces and sets once every month or two. Don’t get a nonstick set, either get a few individual stainless steel pieces like the previous poster said or go for a smaller set with 1 saucepan, 1 sauté pan, 1 frying pan, and maybe a stock pot if you don’t have one.

I’ve gotten several items from these sales and have never had any problem with them. The defects I’ve found are minuscule and not noticeable after a few uses, and packaging damage is utterly irrelevant to cookware quality.

I'll be honest there's a little aesthetic satisfaction in having a cookset that matches :shepspends: but I also cook often/complex enough that I'll need multiple sauce/sautee and stock pans going or in use/resting. I'll take a look at the stainless steel sets as that might be more useful long-term

Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interesting experiment with the Ninja ice cream maker: coffee ice cream with no dairy

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7148048283028540678

No part 2 yet

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can get the full thing on YouTube already

https://youtu.be/CHPn77jpt2w

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

You can get the full thing on YouTube already

https://youtu.be/CHPn77jpt2w
"I got weird about ice cream at one point in my life"

Now I'm imagining parallel universe James Hoffman who is obsessed with ice cream rather than coffee

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you gals/guys for the recommendation for the rice cooker., i am getting it from the amazon locker tomorow, but my toaster oven just decided to not work while I was reheating a slice of pizza. Any recommendations on toaster ovens?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Thank you gals/guys for the recommendation for the rice cooker., i am getting it from the amazon locker tomorow, but my toaster oven just decided to not work while I was reheating a slice of pizza. Any recommendations on toaster ovens?
Breville Smart Oven.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SubG posted:

Breville Smart Oven.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Panasonic FlashXpress.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Panasonic FlashXpress.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Panasonic FlashXpress.

This if you want fast and small. It does not require preheating and that alone makes it incredible. I have one and I don’t think I could ever replace it. If I wanted anything bigger and had more cash to spare though I’d go with

SubG posted:

Breville Smart Oven.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Those are way to expensive to me. Especially since some nocked off the side mirror to our car which we have to pay for.

Any opinions on this our old one was a Black & Decker that lasted 7 years?:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...a2-8997e41410bb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Random rear end toaster oven is probably a thrift store trip.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Air fryer update for anyone considering one:

Dump in a 900g bag of fries, they come out more crispy and evenly cooked than a single layer in a normal oven.

Same with piles of potato wedges, nuggies, onion rings, whatever. You can just dump whatever into the basket and at most give it a shake halfway through for incredibly impressive results. It’s obviously no deep fryer but it functions better than a normal convection oven for these food types. If you’re the frozen convenience foods type and you don’t want to gently caress with a deep fryer, a good air fryer is an excellent middle ground of results vs laziness.

Bone in chicken thighs? Perfect, without the mess of pan frying, albeit also without the potential crunchiness.

Frozen veggies with a spritz of oil? Beautiful.

Two inch thick steak? Sure as poo poo can’t compete with a good pan sear, but lack of a crust aside this fucker will do a lovely job on chunks of meat.

I can’t speak on other units but can highly recommend the Philips XXL for people who view cooking as more chore than hobby, it’s basically a turbo convection oven blasting air through a fry basket and requires minimal cleaning beyond wiping it out, it owns.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Air fryer update for anyone considering one:

Dump in a 900g bag of fries, they come out more crispy and evenly cooked than a single layer in a normal oven.

Same with piles of potato wedges, nuggies, onion rings, whatever. You can just dump whatever into the basket and at most give it a shake halfway through for incredibly impressive results. It’s obviously no deep fryer but it functions better than a normal convection oven for these food types. If you’re the frozen convenience foods type and you don’t want to gently caress with a deep fryer, a good air fryer is an excellent middle ground of results vs laziness.

Bone in chicken thighs? Perfect, without the mess of pan frying, albeit also without the potential crunchiness.

Frozen veggies with a spritz of oil? Beautiful.

Two inch thick steak? Sure as poo poo can’t compete with a good pan sear, but lack of a crust aside this fucker will do a lovely job on chunks of meat.

I can’t speak on other units but can highly recommend the Philips XXL for people who view cooking as more chore than hobby, it’s basically a turbo convection oven blasting air through a fry basket and requires minimal cleaning beyond wiping it out, it owns.

My unexpected all time hits in the air fryer that I don't see mentioned very much:

- Eggplant, sectioned lengthwise into quarters or halves depending on the size of the veg, seasoned however you like and scored in a criss-cross fashion.
- Those pizza bun things you can get at grocery stores/supermarkets, not sure if this is a Canadiana thing but I expect not. It's like cheese and tomato sauce on a soft pretzel. They are fantastic heated up in an air fryer - just had one with breakfast
- Squash cut into chunks, seasoned how you'd expect with nutmeg and cinnamon etc.
- Frozen stuff like chicken cordon bleu for easy meals. My local butcher prepares these and sells them frozen, they're incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VelociBacon posted:

- Those pizza bun things you can get at grocery stores/supermarkets, not sure if this is a Canadiana thing but I expect not. It's like cheese and tomato sauce on a soft pretzel. They are fantastic heated up in an air fryer - just had one with breakfast

holy poo poo that’s a blast from the past

haven’t seen those in years and suddenly craving one