Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
American Gladiators is the origin of the word Lateralus, from Tool's albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Nostalgic_Thing/status/1573407074452635648?s=20&t=d9xFK-Mhf5wAu8RMbMitIw

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

END OF AN ERROR posted:

Hey another “I saw weezer live and it made me hate them” person. I still people the story about how bad they were. I describe it by saying I could have sat home, played their CD, and looked at a photo of them to get the same exact experience. They just stood there, no energy, no interaction. Just boring as poo poo.

I went to a Summerland Tour concert last year; Everclear headlines them and this show had Wheatus, Hoobastank, and Living Colour opening in that order. They all talked with the crowd and amped them up, Wheatus had two drum sets and kicked rear end. The lead singer of Living Colour walked up and down the aisle through the crowd while singing Cult of Personality.

Everclear just stood up there and played their songs with zero energy. I understand Art is like 60 and had a hard life but drat.

Hoobastank was also pretty good but I hadn't listened to them since the early 2000s when I was in high school.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Mr. Fix It posted:

huh, just realized that american gladiators was a key part of my sexual awakening

Yup, it was Ice and Zap for me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fartknocker posted:

There’s no turquoise/purple combo or the jazz cup in that picture, so by definition it cannot be peak 90s.

Yeah, I know I'm late, but....

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wanted to post this earlier, but of course it got a copyright hit on youtube, but its back,
https://youtu.be/NcJ0Vdig91Y

Trash Theory traces the origins of Madchester sound of the late 80s into the 90s. Intresting how it flowed from so many sources, and almost all of it black and american. And of course all of this rolls into Britpop. I remember in the 90s, loving this stuff when I catch it on Muchmusic but due to social pressure of the environment i was in (you have to like the big hit song right now or you were lame and would probably get beaten up) I couldn't really listen to it, not that I could have if i had wanted to, as no local radio stations would play it in Halifax, and i couldn't just buy tapes/cds, they were loving expensive. 12bux for a cassette? That's like over 20bux these days. Anyways, I was glad when I moved to Toronto in the mid 90s where the "modern" rock station would often play older stuff, especially during the early evening radio show which was literally called "the history of new music" so I could hear this stuff. Plus MP3s started popping up at the time and while it was almost all anime music at first, i was able to seek out this stuff.

BTW this video told me that Edywn Collins from Orange Juice is the same Edwyn Collins from this 90s song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqJ0JpMj6I

Also while i'm here, I'm just going to say that the mainstream top 40 pop charts in the very early 80s was basically the most boring, lame music ever. It was like 1990 was the year boomers lost their edge and just wanted to listen to easy listening music made for waiting for the dentist. Yea there were hits that were not that, but radio play was almost entirely Wilson Philips and Amy Grant.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Sep 29, 2022

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

twistedmentat posted:

the early evening radio show which was literally called "the history of new music" so I could hear this stuff.

Are you thinking of The Ongoing History of New Music with Alan Cross? That guy rules, we get him on the west coast too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

twistedmentat posted:

. Anyways, I was glad when I moved to Toronto in the mid 90s where the "modern" rock station would often play older stuff, especially during the early evening radio show which was literally called "the history of new music" so I could hear this stuff.

Back when CFNY was good :corsair:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

no broccoli please posted:

Are you thinking of The Ongoing History of New Music with Alan Cross? That guy rules, we get him on the west coast too.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Back when CFNY was good :corsair:

Yup, Alan Cross was/is great. He was on Indie88 for a while when they started too, which took over the "good" radio station. The Edge just, i dunno, when I woke up and heard Reggae on it I was not having any of that. I might have been thinking of Martin Streak's live show from one of the clubs in downtown Toronto on sunday nights. Again, a great collection of stuff I love and helped me find other bands and artists I would love.

But yea, my time in Toronto in the 90s was pretty much sound tracked by The Edge/CFNY for the entire two years. It was really the only good rock radio station I've ever listened to. I figure in the late 90s it did the thing where it started playing all the new metal which eventually sunk rock radio in the early 2000s.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
so fine 90s :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ir8NS3sIrk

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
B L A Z I N G D O S A C T I O N

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok this is cool

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRu8bcXT/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Tom from MySpace building his IRL social networks one LAN party at a time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have a lot of pics like this on some old drive somewhere. throwing lan parties at home kicks rear end

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I can feel the heat and humidity in this room.

I only went to a couple, but goddamn do I miss LAN parties. There was something special about packing all your friends into a basement overnight to play computer games, chug mountain dew, and watch UFC video tapes (I have no idea why this was an element of our LAN parties)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh yeah, thats the stuff.
SGC2C is my favorite background show.

"You're supposed to be in a dumpster looking for ham scraps, you six piece chicken McNobody!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh yeah, thats the stuff.
SGC2C is my favorite background show.

"You're supposed to be in a dumpster looking for ham scraps, you six piece chicken McNobody!"

Fire Ant is one of the greatest pieces of surreal comedy on television, only challenged by Vacation from Sealab 2021 (The Uh Oh Episode).

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Iron Crowned posted:

I can feel the heat and humidity in this room.

I only went to a couple, but goddamn do I miss LAN parties. There was something special about packing all your friends into a basement overnight to play computer games, chug mountain dew, and watch UFC video tapes (I have no idea why this was an element of our LAN parties)

this was the early aughts rather than the 90s, but i had a friend with a large house who would have people over to play halo. we'd set it up one group in the basement, one on the main floor and one upstairs. it was extremely fun to pop someone and hear angry screaming from two floors up.

(i was never a PC gaming guy so this is the closes LAN party-adjacent story i have)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my friends and i still hold a lanparty twice a year, been going on for about 22 years now. i kind of miss the elaborate setup and how it felt to finally get poo poo working and play world of warcraft all sitting in the same room

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the biggest problem for lanparties today is that there arent many games that are made with that amount of local players in mind. lots of games are capped at 4 players or 5 if youre lucky

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I once played day of defeat with ~two dozen people. You'd throw a grenade and the kill text would just ssscccrrrooolll

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
again, early aughts, but my entire dorm floor definitely played a lot of call of duty against each other and it was excellent

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i have a lot of pics like this on some old drive somewhere. throwing lan parties at home kicks rear end

What’s going on?
- It’s annoying and not interesting
>>I am in this picture and I like it.<<
- I think it shouldn’t be on Facebook.
- It’s spam.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jhIP9L6.mp4

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
With the sound off I thought it was a pizza advert, he looks like he's standing on pizza boxes - look at these terrible pizzas I've vanquished

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

They made another version that was eight-in-one, and instead of being blinking lights and pew-pews, it was water guns. I cannot, for the life of me, find the commercial.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

a lot of the hate aimed at “Emo” in the 2000s was really just thinly disguised homo/queer/biphobia tbh

Yeah, emo didn't really get a lot of backlash until bands who were maybe emo influenced, like My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy, broke through and had studded belts and eye-liner and whatever There's elements of that that skeezed me out (guys in their twenties doing the whole "we're none threatening, girls! Come hang out!" thing), but a lot of it seemed like thinly veiled queerphobia, like "goths" got before.

No one really gave a poo poo when it was guys in converse and college tees jumping around in VFW halls and party house basements making melodic alt-rock.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Thank you so much for reminding me of the ONE TIME I got to actually touch this amazing toy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shibawanko posted:

the biggest problem for lanparties today is that there arent many games that are made with that amount of local players in mind. lots of games are capped at 4 players or 5 if youre lucky

My friends and I would have one anytime an anticipated mmo was releasing for a while. Last one we got together for was Warhammer, our appetite for them kind of died after that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

donquixotic posted:

With the sound off I thought it was a pizza advert, he looks like he's standing on pizza boxes - look at these terrible pizzas I've vanquished
:same:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, emo didn't really get a lot of backlash until bands who were maybe emo influenced, like My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy, broke through and had studded belts and eye-liner and whatever There's elements of that that skeezed me out (guys in their twenties doing the whole "we're none threatening, girls! Come hang out!" thing), but a lot of it seemed like thinly veiled queerphobia, like "goths" got before.

No one really gave a poo poo when it was guys in converse and college tees jumping around in VFW halls and party house basements making melodic alt-rock.

I wonder how much of it is related to the reflexive "Girls like it, so mockery deserved" type thought process Pumpkin Spice currently enjoys?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My friends and I would have one anytime an anticipated mmo was releasing for a while. Last one we got together for was Warhammer, our appetite for them kind of died after that.

Warhammer Online never got the release (and thus popularity) it really deserved. That game owned. Or at least was close to owning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dialhforhero posted:

Warhammer Online never got the release (and thus popularity) it really deserved. That game owned. Or at least was close to owning.

Yea I really enjoyed it. I grabbed it at launch and as I worked in the Canadian GW head office, they asked me to bring it in, install it on the one computer in the office that could run it so everyone could see the game for themselves.

I always forget, the first MMORPG to actually get really big was Dark Age of Camelot or Ultima Online? I know Everquest came out after that and long Star Wars Galaxies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Neito posted:

I wonder how much of it is related to the reflexive "Girls like it, so mockery deserved" type thought process Pumpkin Spice currently enjoys?

A lot of emo or at least popular stuff really was mediocre to bad but it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as the nu-metal and buttrock that predated it. Come to think of it, rock has been in dire straits for a while now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I really enjoyed it. I grabbed it at launch and as I worked in the Canadian GW head office, they asked me to bring it in, install it on the one computer in the office that could run it so everyone could see the game for themselves.

I always forget, the first MMORPG to actually get really big was Dark Age of Camelot or Ultima Online? I know Everquest came out after that and long Star Wars Galaxies.

No, it was Everquest. Ultima Online was first but was kind of niche for a while. Everquest just kind of took off out of the gate. Dark Age came out 2 years after EQ.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

twistedmentat posted:

It was fun but it definitely had the same problem DAOC did: the whole thing is premised on these big battles between a lot of PCs over fortifications, but then as soon as people show up to fight a big battle to capture one, everything lags to hell and frame rates approach zero.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Mostly because nobody gave a poo poo in general :v:
The genre only came up in mainstream popularity when bands like Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance came on the scene.

I'd also disagree with it just being a queerphobia thing. The general themes of melodrama and fashionable depression also got ragged on in other genres that had nothing to do with popularity among girls or genderbending fashion.
'CRAWWWLIIING INNN MY SKIIIINNN' was such an insanely common thing to see when people are making fun of folks rocking emo aesthetics. And Linkin Park barely had anything to do with the pop emo bands besides the melodramatic lyrics.

Hell - :emo: is a relic from exactly that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, it was Everquest. Ultima Online was first but was kind of niche for a while. Everquest just kind of took off out of the gate. Dark Age came out 2 years after EQ.

I guess being a very online person in the late 90s made me think UO was more popular than it was.

I could have sworn DAoC was out before EQ but no, no it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I guess being a very online person in the late 90s made me think UO was more popular than it was.

I could have sworn DAoC was out before EQ but no, no it wasn't.

UO's still going, though. I think the only MMOs with any claim to being anywhere near as long are FFXI and WoW.