Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i will let the company burn and lose millions of potential dollars if it means i get to win this pretend fight

Hi Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i will let the company burn and lose millions of potential dollars if it means i get to win this pretend fight

Gonna need some clarification here, because this could be any executive at any publicly-traded company.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tried watching a Vice documentary on Montreal and holy cow how do you have Bret available as an interviewee and dedicate so much time to Cornette & Russo and treat anything they say as reliable? Dunno if Shawn Michaels showed up to save the doc as I turned it off.

Cornwind Evil posted:

They ain't the only ones who let their gimmick eat them alive. Hulk Hogan also had it happen, as did Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase did for a time before he pulled back via religion (god I hope that is an example of religion actually having a positive effect on someone)

From the Athletic’s article on Lex Luger religion seemed to do him a lot of good late in life. Probably not for everyone but glad to hear he was in a better place physically & mentally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dacap posted:

I think this verdict entirely depends on if Braun can convince HHH to rehire him

:thunk:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Animal-Mother posted:

How dare you forget Iron Sheik. PTOOEY! I spit on America and your post. Iran NUMBER ONE!

Very disappointed you didn't call me a JABRONI or A DUMB SON OF A BITCH.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Braun Strowman: smarter than Ryback.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

FullLeatherJacket posted:

cm punk came back to wrestling on the 20th august 2021 with almost universal goodwill

it took one calendar year

Sigh. Phil Brooks, you disappoint me.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Adam Scherr attempting to big league IMPACT was hilarious too because he could have very easily gotten a lucrative and mostly protected position in the company. He might have had to lose to Moose at some point but lol at him thinking they were going to be making a known wrestler like him a jobber. It has to be some kind of PTSD from being in WWE. The fact that CYN appeared at NWA speaks volumes about how bad NWA is at this point, it seemed promising for a bit, but it's even funnier that Scherr didn't end up there on his own as a top guy. This is a company whose top guy is Trevor Murdoch. Scherr played himself and within a decade he's going to be doing a podcast/twitch stream like Russo or Cornette where he bitches and moans about the state of the industry and how, without directly saying so, it's the reason why he doesn't have a job.

I'm sad that NWA sucks poo poo now, I really enjoyed watching their studio show pre-Covid. The matches were decent to good, the mic work was fun (I miss Aron Stevens) and until Rock'n'Roll Express showed up, I enjoyed it! But now-a-days? Haven't watched the new edition of it because holy gently caress Trevor Murdoch IS STILL CHAMPION??????? Did Billy Cardigan just get really bored?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With the whole backstage fight situation, everyone involved (even those who were trying to pull people apart) has been suspended. Punk's future with the company is up in the air. A third party is investigating everything. On Dynamite, neither party has been mentioned by name and there was no footage of them in the opening. The trios championship (which Omega and the Bucks won on Sunday) was vacated and an already-announced trios match on Dynamite was turned into a title match. The world title has also been vacated and they're doing a six-man tournament over the next two weeks.

The thing that's been making the whole fight hilarious is how details have been trickling in over the past few days. Details that turn the brawl into some Rashomon situation where each side is seemingly leaking info to make them look better. Even though it's a bunch of he-said/he-said poo poo, the fact that Punk and Ace Steel's side is all about the violent stuff they did in response to being confronted and the Omega/Bucks side involves bringing the head of legal with them for the sake of having a neutral witness in case things got out of hand... yeah. Not a good look for Punk.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Why would you confront someone in a locker room if you didn't want to fight? Don't these people know how locker rooms work?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bagmonkey posted:

I'm sad that NWA sucks poo poo now, I really enjoyed watching their studio show pre-Covid. The matches were decent to good, the mic work was fun (I miss Aron Stevens) and until Rock'n'Roll Express showed up, I enjoyed it! But now-a-days? Haven't watched the new edition of it because holy gently caress Trevor Murdoch IS STILL CHAMPION??????? Did Billy Cardigan just get really bored?

I listened to an interview with Billy Corgan before the last PPV and he was more into owning one of the NWA Heavyweight Championship. He's 100% into the idea of owning a wrestling company as a toy or whatever but I don't think he cares too much beyond that. He's like Tony Khan in that he bought a promotion and isn't really an onscreen character but unlike TK, he sucks at actually running it.

Billy Corgan is pretty friendly with Alex Jones so he's definitely really stupid, which doesn't help either.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Billy Corgan is pretty friendly with Alex Jones so he's definitely really stupid, which doesn't help either.

"The matches are fixed, I've seen the documents."

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I listened to an interview with Billy Corgan before the last PPV and he was more into owning one of the NWA Heavyweight Championship. He's 100% into the idea of owning a wrestling company as a toy or whatever but I don't think he cares too much beyond that. He's like Tony Khan in that he bought a promotion and isn't really an onscreen character but unlike TK, he sucks at actually running it.

Yeah, as Billy gave more interviews and kept talking, it made me glad he let the promotion go to poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Why would you confront someone in a locker room if you didn't want to fight? Don't these people know how locker rooms work?

To talk?

I mean, before Punk ended his time at the media scrum he said that if anyone wanted to talk to him they could go to him so the EVPs did

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1568064068530888704

I've agreed with pretty much every criticism ever levelled at Joey Janela in the past, but lol and also lmao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Joey Janela owns

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Joey Janela owns

Man puts together amazing show promos I’ll give him that.

Also is Trips showing signs of fixing or at least not making WWE even worse?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He rolled back the rule about talent being forbidden to make money from youtube or onlyfans or whatever

He ended the ban on the words "wrestling" and "wrestler"

He reinstated some spots that Vince had banned previously

He will allow nxt call-ups to retain their gimmick on the main roster instead of getting revamped

Also I'm pretty sure that he has started to allow talent to cut their own promos instead of making them recite scripts

So yeah he's basically Jesus imo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god I’m kind of tempted to watch it, even just a sample episodes, since it’s all on Peacock now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

titties posted:

He will allow nxt call-ups to retain their gimmick on the main roster instead of getting revamped

That's a big deal. I remember how much that hosed over Bayley.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

remembering how Triple H spent a year building up Karrion Kross as an unstoppable monster

for Vince to bring him up to RAW, give him a Zardoz costume and have him lose clean to Jeff Hardy in his debut, before firing him four months later

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He is making it a less crappy place to work. Whether he makes the end product for a fan better remains to be seen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

He is making it a less crappy place to work. Whether he makes the end product for a fan better remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see what he can do with all the new levers he can pull.

Oh is Bucky Beaver still working there?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It will be interesting to see what he can do with all the new levers he can pull.

Oh is Bucky Beaver still working there?

Unfortunately, yes

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

remembering how Triple H spent a year building up Karrion Kross as an unstoppable monster

for Vince to bring him up to RAW, give him a Zardoz costume and have him lose clean to Jeff Hardy in his debut, before firing him four months later

RIP Vince McMahon, the greatest troll in an industry of trolls.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Now malakai black has been released from aew per his request??

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Imagine spending blood, sweat, tears, and years on coming up with a popular wrestling persona, building a fanbase, getting signed to NXT, getting over with the crowd, getting the call to the big show and suddenly

"I need you to be swamp man who eats his own boogers. We're gonna call you Rumplesnotskin."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
WWE may become a lot less entertaining to read about, and possibly more entertaining to watch.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Yeah dude is depressed

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kross is a chud so I'm OK with that

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Pro Wrestling loving Owns

https://twitter.com/JeremyCom/status/1568620221640118272?s=20&t=DdNn-Va4Gh0mKe-rW9gdQA

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Given what Michael is legitimately accused of, is that finisher called The Pedo's Elbow?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kross is a chud so I'm OK with that

Saw him as Father Time at a Lucha Underground taping and popped because we thought he was Cesaro.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

gbs but from 2004 posted:

The rumor is that he wants to stop wrestling to deal with mental health stuff, negotiated out of his contract with a new agreement that he won't go wrestle somewhere else for X amount of time, and that there's no hard feelings on either side

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foxfire_ posted:

The rumor is that he wants to stop wrestling to deal with mental health stuff, negotiated out of his contract with a new agreement that he won't go wrestle somewhere else for X amount of time, and that there's no hard feelings on either side

He's also injured and wants to take time off to rehab too. It's apparently bad but not career ending.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The latest hilarious backstage wrestling story is that of Bobby Fish.

Bobby Fish's deal is that he was a Ring of Honor regular who teamed up with Kyle O'Reilly through the years as ReDRagon. A very talented, if somewhat bland wrestler. Bobby signed with WWE in 2017 and was part of NXT, even though he was 40 at the time. He and Kyle were part of the Undisputed Era, a stable with Adam Cole and Roderick Strong. This was during the time when Triple H was in charge of NXT and Vince would poo poo on any NXT graduates who made it to the main roster, so the Undisputed Era just stayed a thing in NXT for years. Triple H did NOT want those guys to get tainted by Vince.

Then, of course, Triple H was removed from NXT. Adam Cole knew he was doomed, so when his contract was up, he chose not to re-sign. Kyle and Fish were let go. Strong had just signed a new contract before all this went down, so sucks for him. Adam Cole signed with AEW, where he was treated as a star. The initial storyline was that he joined with the Elite (Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks) and was possibly intent on taking over. When Kenny lost the title and took time off to heal from his many injuries, they played it up that Cole was gradually taking more control in his absence. Naturally, Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish joined during that time and they became the Undisputed Elite.

While there was some criticism of bringing in another bland white dude in a time when AEW was getting really bloated, Fish was still a talented wrestler and a good veteran to have around. He got a lot of TV time as Cole's underling and had some good matches. Not that he was especially awesome. The guy had an annoying habit where if somebody was cutting a promo at him, he would be yelling so loud during it that you could hear him despite him not being mic'd. There's also a situation where he had a singles match with CM Punk, took the heavily-protected Go 2 Sleep, kicked out immediately after the three-count, and to this day is surprised that Punk was pissed at him after the match.

It looked like they were building towards eventually doing Kenny Omega/Young Bucks vs. Cole/Kyle/Fish. Going into AEW's big trios tournament, Cole and Kyle were too injured to compete. ESPECIALLY Kyle, who will be out for a while. They did a segment where Cole was trying to force the Bucks to team with Fish, then beating them down for their reluctance, only for Hangman Adam Page to come out and clear the ring. That would be Fish's last AEW appearance.

With Vince McMahon retiring from WWE and Triple H stepping up, Fish was suddenly openly talking to the media about how great Triple H is and how he'd go to war for him. He was also openly making GBS threads on Punk online. Soon it was revealed that Fish's AEW contract was up and he wasn't interested in re-signing.

Turns out Triple H asked him about coming back. Fish, excited about a WWE return, burned his AEW bridges and told other former NXT guys about Triple H's interest. Cole and Kyle told him, nah, they're good. Presumably, Swerve Strickland not only told him he wasn't interested, but he informed Tony Khan that WWE was doing some contract tampering (which really pissed Tony off).

Fish supposedly went for the WWE return and Triple H, seeing that the 45-year-old guy was coming to him empty-handed, decided, "Yeah, no thank you."

So anyway, Bobby Fish just made his debut on IMPACT. Good going, dude.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Gavok posted:

The latest hilarious backstage wrestling story is that of Bobby Fish.

Bobby Fish's deal is that he was a Ring of Honor regular who teamed up with Kyle O'Reilly through the years as ReDRagon. A very talented, if somewhat bland wrestler. Bobby signed with WWE in 2017 and was part of NXT, even though he was 40 at the time. He and Kyle were part of the Undisputed Era, a stable with Adam Cole and Roderick Strong. This was during the time when Triple H was in charge of NXT and Vince would poo poo on any NXT graduates who made it to the main roster, so the Undisputed Era just stayed a thing in NXT for years. Triple H did NOT want those guys to get tainted by Vince.

Then, of course, Triple H was removed from NXT. Adam Cole knew he was doomed, so when his contract was up, he chose not to re-sign. Kyle and Fish were let go. Strong had just signed a new contract before all this went down, so sucks for him. Adam Cole signed with AEW, where he was treated as a star. The initial storyline was that he joined with the Elite (Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks) and was possibly intent on taking over. When Kenny lost the title and took time off to heal from his many injuries, they played it up that Cole was gradually taking more control in his absence. Naturally, Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish joined during that time and they became the Undisputed Elite.

While there was some criticism of bringing in another bland white dude in a time when AEW was getting really bloated, Fish was still a talented wrestler and a good veteran to have around. He got a lot of TV time as Cole's underling and had some good matches. Not that he was especially awesome. The guy had an annoying habit where if somebody was cutting a promo at him, he would be yelling so loud during it that you could hear him despite him not being mic'd. There's also a situation where he had a singles match with CM Punk, took the heavily-protected Go 2 Sleep, kicked out immediately after the three-count, and to this day is surprised that Punk was pissed at him after the match.

It looked like they were building towards eventually doing Kenny Omega/Young Bucks vs. Cole/Kyle/Fish. Going into AEW's big trios tournament, Cole and Kyle were too injured to compete. ESPECIALLY Kyle, who will be out for a while. They did a segment where Cole was trying to force the Bucks to team with Fish, then beating them down for their reluctance, only for Hangman Adam Page to come out and clear the ring. That would be Fish's last AEW appearance.

With Vince McMahon retiring from WWE and Triple H stepping up, Fish was suddenly openly talking to the media about how great Triple H is and how he'd go to war for him. He was also openly making GBS threads on Punk online. Soon it was revealed that Fish's AEW contract was up and he wasn't interested in re-signing.

Turns out Triple H asked him about coming back. Fish, excited about a WWE return, burned his AEW bridges and told other former NXT guys about Triple H's interest. Cole and Kyle told him, nah, they're good. Presumably, Swerve Strickland not only told him he wasn't interested, but he informed Tony Khan that WWE was doing some contract tampering (which really pissed Tony off).

Fish supposedly went for the WWE return and Triple H, seeing that the 45-year-old guy was coming to him empty-handed, decided, "Yeah, no thank you."

So anyway, Bobby Fish just made his debut on IMPACT. Good going, dude.

drat lol. Not sure why but I never liked Bobby fish because he seems like a bit of a dweeb

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gavok posted:

This was pretty hilarious/sad:

quote:

Bobby Fish believes that CM Punk's martial arts-inspired offense is "insulting the audience's intelligence."

During an interview with NBC Sports Boston released on Friday, Fish discussed his match with Punk from the October 27, 2021 edition of Dynamite. The finish of the match saw Fish appear to kick-out of Punk's GTS just as the referee was counting three. Punk was declared the winner regardless.

"Phil is not a bad pro-wrestler but what Phil is not is a martial artist," Fish said. "I've been doing martial arts since I was eight years old, so I take a lot of pride in it."

"He is a pro-wrestler, so go out, tackle, drop down, leapfrog, get it again, all that stuff, all good. In that lane, dare I say, he's got talent but when it comes to martial arts, you are insulting the audience's intelligence because we are supposed to be creating an atmosphere where you can suspend your disbelief."

Fish continued to say that selling for Punk's more MMA-inspired offense was insulting to him.

"It's honestly insulting for you as one of my co-workers or peers. As a martial artist, you are asking me to go out and sell, put over, your bunk** martial arts which is insulting to the audience, it's insulting to me."

Fish continued to say that Punk was not happy with him after their match.

"Phil, after the match, was a c**t. Frankly, as a martial artist, I went out and I laid my shoulders down for you. You should be grateful that I did because on national TV if I decided that I wanted to f**king Haku your rear end, I could have because you're that little bit of a threat in my world. I'm not Jon Jones, or Anderson Silva, but I've been doing martial arts since I was young and I can handle myself enough to where I will fold you like a wet nap, Phill Brooks. So, for you to be c**ty afterwards because of a mistake that you made, it just doesn't wear well."

Fish went on to criticize Punk for using the GTS as his finisher, a move that was first used by KENTA.

"Not to mention, the move that he finished me with, is not even his finish. It was KENTA's. You know, Phil, you took a man's finishing move, which anybody who knows pro-wrestling knows that's kind of f***ed up and you weren't even decent enough to change the name."

Fish was asked about Punk's comments at the All Out media scrum as well.

"I think Phil kind of showed the world the scumbag he can be. Maybe he's not that scumbag every day, but I guess we all got a little bit of scumbag in us and some of us do a better job at controlling it than others."

On his podcast earlier this week, Fish "invited" Punk to face him in a boxing, kickboxing, or MMA fight. He expanded on those thoughts during the interview with NBC Sports Boston.

"It's pretty apparent to people who are paying any attention, I don't like you, you don't like me, we can have a competition," Fish continued. "Let's make it a competition where I'm trying to hurt you, you're trying to hurt me. Not you going to the booker after a misunderstanding in our match that I put you over in, I sold your bunk** bulls**t martial arts for you, I did you that favor and then because of a misunderstanding you're going to act all c**ty. Meanwhile, we can just get in the ring or octagon or whatever and actually compete against each other, let's do it."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince swapped bodies with triple h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

This was pretty hilarious/sad:

I am stealing the phrase “loving Haku your rear end.”