Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

loving what? My local off license used to have 3 litre bottle of JD that was maybe £70. A normal size bottle is over-priced at £25 considering you can get actually decent bourbon for a couple quid extra.

on top of import and shipping sin and consumption taxes make up an absolute shitload of the cost of alcohol pretty much everywhere and they are frankly irresponsibly low in the UK imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Irn-Bru doesn't even have alcohol in it? What the gently caress

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no it's just vaguely bubblegum flavoured soda. people sell it with vodka in in the same premixed cans you get coke and vodkas in tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

loving what? My local off license used to have 3 litre bottle of JD that was maybe £70. A normal size bottle is over-priced at £25 considering you can get actually decent bourbon for a couple quid extra.

nigeria, so ironically i could get UK whiskeys at a much better price because of more favorable trade conditions. i would actually buy harrier while I was there for like $7 or $8 a bottle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

Irn-Bru doesn't even have alcohol in it? What the gently caress

lol i found out it was just a soda a few years ago. i always imagined it as a kind of scottish steel reserve

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CoolCab posted:

no it's just vaguely bubblegum flavoured soda. people sell it with vodka in in the same premixed cans you get coke and vodkas in tho

In Bru tastes like joy and happiness, rare things for the Brit to experience. Bubblegum? Pfffffft, way to undersell Scotland's 2nd best drink.

But yes, it's a soft drink. Good mixer though, Bru and dogshit bottom shelf vodka called Glen's, the cause of far too many regrets every weekend across Scotland. That and Buckfast, aka wreck the hoose juice, but that's actually English made despite mostly bring drunk here & Northern Ireland. Tonic wine absolutely loaded with sugar and caffeine so despite only being 15% abv it's kinda rocket fuel

I think what makes Bru special is it contains some sort of colouring or flavouring which is banned in the US but somehow not here.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

In Bru tastes like joy and happiness, rare things for the Brit to experience. Bubblegum? Pfffffft, way to undersell Scotland's 2nd best drink.

But yes, it's a soft drink. Good mixer though, Bru and dogshit bottom shelf vodka called Glen's, the cause of far too many regrets every weekend across Scotland. That and Buckfast, aka wreck the hoose juice, but that's actually English made despite mostly bring drunk here & Northern Ireland. Tonic wine absolutely loaded with sugar and caffeine so despite only being 15% abv it's kinda rocket fuel

I think what makes Bru special is it contains some sort of colouring or flavouring which is banned in the US but somehow not here.

an internet acquaintance of mine from the UK took some time off recently and my advice was to drink plenty of buckfast in celebration

I thank the original GTA for knowing what buckfast is

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it tastes like bubblegum and a little like artificial orange. some of the varieties have a more chemical flavour, like medicine. also glens i feel is more fancy. tamova (aldi's brand vodka) through a brita filter is the true proletarian drink for the 21st century.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jose Mengelez posted:

*RECORD SCRATCH* Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I became a Nathan Barley character...

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

it tastes like bubblegum and a little like artificial orange. some of the varieties have a more chemical flavour, like medicine. also glens i feel is more fancy. tamova (aldi's brand vodka) through a brita filter is the true proletarian drink for the 21st century.

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure how proletarian it is to use a filter on your voddy before consumption. I'll also say this is the first time in my life I've ever seen anyone call Glen's fancy.

Yes, there is cheaper stuff than Glen's, barely, but it's bad.

I remember the time someone stole a bunch of labels from the Glen's bottling plant and put them on their own bootleg hooch that was sold to several cornershops in Glasgow until people started going blind. Mind you, I also remember when heroin users kept dying because someone had spiked a batch with anthrax, that was even loving grimmer.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure how proletarian it is to use a filter on your voddy before consumption.

lol have you never been to university? converting cheap alcohol into remotely drinkable cheap alcohol is the tradition!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

John Charity Spring posted:

why would you admit any of this

i thought it was a fun anecdote

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

I think Trump banned it from his golf course in Scotland. Scared of it staining the floor or something.

Yup:
https://www.theweek.co.uk/scotland/93497/scots-outraged-over-donald-trump-s-irn-bru-ban

I also recommend the documentary 'You've been Trumped'(2011) about the construction of his Ayrshire golf course.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Vodka chat, alright. I used to work in an Off Licence.

We have a large Polish population here in N. Ireland and the older ones are mostly vodka drinkers (duh). I noticed something, they absolutely refuse to drink Smirnoff even though it's considered an upmarket brand. I thought it might be political at first but no - apparently Smirnoff is the worst vodka available. It tastes like trash when drunk neat and leaves you with a hangover like no other vodka.

They'll drink Glens first before Smirnoff. Most of them have settled for local brands distilled in Ireland like Boru or Vladivar. Or maybe drink Absolut if they are feeling fancy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

lol have you never been to university? converting cheap alcohol into remotely drinkable cheap alcohol is the tradition!

learning my proletarian aesthetic at a university

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Valko posted:

Vodka chat, alright. I used to work in an Off Licence.

We have a large Polish population here in N. Ireland and the older ones are mostly vodka drinkers (duh). I noticed something, they absolutely refuse to drink Smirnoff even though it's considered an upmarket brand. I thought it might be political at first but no - apparently Smirnoff is the worst vodka available. It tastes like trash when drunk neat and leaves you with a hangover like no other vodka.

They'll drink Glens first before Smirnoff. Most of them have settled for local brands distilled in Ireland like Boru or Vladivar. Or maybe drink Absolut if they are feeling fancy.

yeah smirnoff is trash export poo poo. i usually buy monopolowa (austrian but i think polish roots from the old empire days). i traveled with some poles who swore by neat vodka chased with a small sip of fresh oj and that's how i prefer it now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got a liter of evan williams tonight, the workingman's bourbon

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

No, I haven't been to university. I went to work after school, like an idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

the workingman's bourbon

times are tough

though you’re really not saving that much anymore

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

yeah smirnoff is trash export poo poo. i usually buy monopolowa (austrian but i think polish roots from the old empire days). i traveled with some poles who swore by neat vodka chased with a small sip of fresh oj and that's how i prefer it now

:same: monopolowa is excellent

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdOXJLQ79Iw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the capital flight you see in third-world countries while being systematically dismantled

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also unless it's a temper tantrum because of a new tax or whatever when you see capital flying if at all possible you should be too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

learning my proletarian aesthetic at a university
it's like with schools

public school = private school
proletariat = intelligentsia

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that shouldn't have irritated me as much as it did

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

look. the number 1 reason for brexit was immigration, and after next year it’ll never be a problem again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2023: census reveals girls named "emi" plummet

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
IrnBru also works well with rum, so you can make a scotia libre which besides being really tasty, is also named after an event that'll happen as a brexit dividend!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

irn bru owner looks right hosed, mate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
irn bru is shite

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

irn bru is shite

gently caress you.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/24/liz-truss-plans-to-loosen-immigration-rules-to-boost-uk-economy

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmao

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Starmer gonna crank the racism dial hard over the next year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The best drink that Scots are known for isn't even Scottish it's brewed by some monks in southern england

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The best drink that Scots are known for is the water that comes out of our taps.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

keep punching joe posted:

A new mug for a new decade

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

gently caress you.

Irn Bru 1901 is decent. Regular Irn Bru now just tastes of artificial sweetener.

Second AJ documentary. Have an hour of antisemitism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTMF0MSXng

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

No no we're not racist why we just love controlled immigration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
can someone summarize the labor files, is it a real thing or a nothingburger