Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Kris xK posted:

Wow, so Lions Arch looked pretty loving different. It was like something out of Hook or the Goonies, and I want it.

Yeah, it really tied into Gendarren Hills with all the other wooden pirate ships. And then for some time after Scarlet, LA was all hosed up and bombed out. I’m good not revisiting the war zone version though.

Honestly I feel kinda bad for the devs who made new LA. It’s not bad at all and has a great look to it. But it feels so hollow and empty. Furthermore, it doesn’t make sense. Intricate glass and white stone work only found there and nowhere else? Real DisneyLand vibes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't remember a ton about old LA but I do remember it having a lot less pointless empty space

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doing old content, you can see all the lionsguard outposts all over Tyria share absolutely zero design language with LA. They're all pirate-ish wooden structures and all the dudes wear tricornes and poo poo. Then you go to Lion's Arch and it's like... lol?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Even with the "useless" racial skills they had a situation where Sylvari could completely ignore a mechanic of Harvest Temple CM. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi5cT_rgQ4

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The old Lion's Arch was also neat because it actually plausibly felt like GW1's Lion's Arch after 250 years, with a few retained landmarks that made the setting feel lived in. Now it's completely unrecognizable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
New LA also fails at being a player hub because anet had to milk whales with all the cash shop QoL zone passes

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Saraiguma posted:

Bear stampede
That's good stuff. Love it, when game mechanic interactions like that slip by the devs and QA. I am also in favor of them keeping rough bits like dungeon or fractal skips in. It's not like people wouldn't do the content without them, but makes it a bit more fun for solo artists and speed runners.

Also, I never thought about it prior to getting it, but having one of the permanent portal passes saves you from having to step into Lion's Arch 9 out of 10 times. If you have the Mistlock Sanctuary one, make that 10 out of 10. Other than needing to use some special facility like the guild office or Hooligan Run once every blue moon.

Really underestimated how big a QoL difference Queen's Terrace from the Steam pack would make.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 22, 2022

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

whydirt posted:

New LA also fails at being a player hub because anet had to milk whales with all the cash shop QoL zone passes
Meh, distances are just too large. Especially between bank and TP. The crafting stations are a bit out of the way. The waypoints to both fractal entrance and capital Asura gates are somewhat offset, requiring an additional run/mount-up. And as others have said, it doesn't match any culture or organisation in-game from a design perspective. It's pretty, but would probably fit better into FFXIV.

If the current "free" port via exit portal of Obsidian Sanctum allowed players to select which capital they go to, I'd wager many of them wouldn't go to Lion's Arch, but Rata Sum.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 22, 2022

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Old LA was especially cool as the real contrast to each race's big city and especially to Divinity's Reach--it was the one place that felt entirely organic as a multi-racial melting pot. It was Post Racial Pirate Paradise and now it's just a weird shell town.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The way new LA was described while they were building it sounded cool too. A pirate city turned impenetrable fortress bunker That Will Never Fall Again.

Also why does the most bustling port in the world have like one ship in it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's an almost universal agreement that people preferred old lion's arch to the new one.

Old lion's arch was a top tier MMO city for it's design.

Strategic Tea posted:

Also why does the most bustling port in the world have like one ship in it?

It doesn't bother me as much as after playing The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion where the imperial city had giant galleons sitting in the docks that had no possible way to actually get to the docks besides fast travel because every river was shallow, tiny, twisting and had multiple stone bridges.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 23, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As a returning casual player I didn't realize how much I missed the old Lion's Arch until I decided to go through the personal story and saw it again.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i assume we will get the last 2 LS1 returns but then after that is there any info as to what we could expect? personally i want a fishing mount or like a way to make the manta ray eat fish

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
There hasn't been any news yet on what exactly is next, other than the next living world episodes will be set in Cantha.

There is supposed to be a new road map soonish, though, I believe.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

CODChimera posted:

i assume we will get the last 2 LS1 returns but then after that is there any info as to what we could expect? personally i want a fishing mount or like a way to make the manta ray eat fish

When are we supposed to get those 2 episodes my brain worms keep acting up and I’m avoiding doing season 2becuase I don’t want spoilers

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Rumor mill and implications by ArenaNet say they'll release the rest of LWS 1 this year. Since they just released episode 4 and based on an interview from March 2022 with the game director, we'll get one more episode before the season is done. Given that the cadence has been mostly every 2 months, it's likely releasing in November.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 23, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

scrapper is pretty fun, will pve builds change much with the proposed upcoming changes or will that mostly affect wvw?

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

scrapper is pretty fun, will pve builds change much with the proposed upcoming changes or will that mostly affect wvw?

Most changes of the upcoming patch will affect all modes of play. The ones that don't specifically say "in PvP/WvW". So for example the change to gyros will affect PvE as well. Kinetic Accelerators creating might and fury instead of quickness is in competitive modes only.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Luggage posted:

Rumor mill and implications by ArenaNet say they'll release the rest of LWS 1 this year. Since they just released episode 4 and based on an interview from March 2022 with the game director, we'll get one more episode before the season is done. Given that the cadence has been mostly every 2 months, it's likely releasing in November.

I really hope so. I understand getting EoD out of the door took it's toll but it's been 6 months - we really need something new (and no, I don't really count LWS1).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mr. Neutron posted:

Whatver they do please don't let it be time travel.

They only revived LS1 so the next LS can be time-travelling back to prevent young Scarlet from going bad and bringing her back to the present day to deal with the Void. Scarlet and Taimi will be the PC's constant companions in every episode.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

They only revived LS1 so the next LS can be time-travelling back to prevent young Scarlet from going bad and bringing her back to the present day to deal with the Void. Scarlet and Taimi will be the PC's constant companions in every episode.

and then they kiss

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Luggage posted:

Most changes of the upcoming patch will affect all modes of play. The ones that don't specifically say "in PvP/WvW". So for example the change to gyros will affect PvE as well. Kinetic Accelerators creating might and fury instead of quickness is in competitive modes only.

i know they'll get most of the changes in all modes, what i'm asking is what impact those changes will have if any on the builds people are using in pve

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hello Sailor posted:

LS1 was also the only LS that wasn't instanced which is why they're redoing it. You couldn't even play LS1 even if you wanted to (and nobody wanted to).

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i know they'll get most of the changes in all modes, what i'm asking is what impact those changes will have if any on the builds people are using in pve

it will be really annoying to play quickscrap now, but I guess you can do it at range so 🤷‍♀️

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I was getting ready to try scrapper because I knew mechanist was getting nerfed sooner than later, but changing the wells has me bummed out

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Meh, I'd just wait out the Scrapper changes. 2-4 weeks in we'll have updated builds from the sweaty parts of the community telling us if and how Scrapper and Mech can still be enjoyed. Unless you are one of the big brain goons that comes up with their own builds.

I have a feeling (and some hope) that with the new winds of balance blowing at ANet, no class or elite spec may be sacrosanct anymore. So better not get too attached to one build. :D

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You can’t wait out core mechanic changes to a spec if those are why you were interested. Whether or not a spec is “viable” in terms of raid benchmarks has nothing to do with whether it’s fun.

I already play Necro, Renegade, and Guardian and heavily use ranged AoEs in all of them. The appeal of Scrapper was for a different playstyle. If anet goes through with the gyro changes I’ll lose a good chunk of my interest in trying it out.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, makes sense. I misunderstood your post before. The sentiment that the zooming nature with the gyros following you is why people play Scrapper surfaces quite often since the preview. I kinda don't buy that there's no other way to balance the spec in WvW, but looks like they are willing to risk the spec going the way of the dodo to find out.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
The roadmap update is happening next month. Grouch mentioned it on Reddit that they’ll present it at the upcoming balance patch release.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need Viper Ascended recipes to not be so goddamn expensive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Instead of crafting ascended gear with expansion stats, it may be cheaper to craft a cheap core set, then stat change that in the mystic forge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

orcane posted:

Instead of crafting ascended gear with expansion stats, it may be cheaper to craft a cheap core set, then stat change that in the mystic forge.

Yeah, it's a trap to get the overly expensive recipes instead of using the forge to stat swap.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Return to LW achievements done and with it I got my first legendary, the trinket. It was fun and got me to do a bunch of stuff I may have ignored otherwise.

AN does a good job keeping old stuff relevant. You might need luck or timing for a specific bounty or event but in general there are people everywhere doing everything and that's great.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, it's a trap to get the overly expensive recipes instead of using the forge to stat swap.

Does this work for rings? I've had a couple drop in pvp with absolutely worthless stats that is live to get use out of.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

pointlessone posted:

Does this work for rings? I've had a couple drop in pvp with absolutely worthless stats that is live to get use out of.

Only weapons and armor.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Trinkets are not craftable and can't have the stats changed through the mystic forge, all you can do with garbage stat drop trinkets is salvage them for materials.

They're also the easiest to get anywhere, though, because all the core stats are cheap from laurels or guild commendations, and they're the cheaper items from LS3/LS4 vendors if you need expansion stats. The rings/necklace and the backpack from Bloodstone Fen can have their stat changed with an item also sold in that zone for unbound magic, if you care about that.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Random questions

How bad of an idea is it for me to buy a glyph of leatherworker for my unbreakable pickaxe?

Should I have tipped the person who allowed me into their home instance? If so, sorry Decx owes Haranga some money.

Why are silverwastes so popular it has a 24/7 squad? I get Riba and the entire event seems decent but I don't get its popularity.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Wow, just got back into the game. Been playing for a few weeks. It's fun. So much to do. And the Wiki has been a big help in getting me back on my feet. However, there doesn't seem to be an entry for this one location I recently found. Any thoughts? Might be a spoiler so I'll hide it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Silverwastes is a popular zone because it’s the most lucrative map meta that F2P/core players have access to.

It’s a fun map, especially now with mounts and player power creep. It’s also not on a set schedule so you can hop in and out easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Lpzie posted:

Wow, just got back into the game. Been playing for a few weeks. It's fun. So much to do. And the Wiki has been a big help in getting me back on my feet. However, there doesn't seem to be an entry for this one location I recently found. Any thoughts? Might be a spoiler so I'll hide it.

:golfclap: