Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
And also say he's bankrupt and the Judge has to intervene and tell the jury it is not true.

Plan R fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

epic cringe lol

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kung Food posted:

He absolutely personally means Jews.

Oh, I know he does. And I also know that:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

the only reason he gets quiet at overt anti-semitism is that those guests are breaking the social contract of using dogwhistles bc being overtly anti-semitic is associated with Nazis

even bigots play the respectability game. especially bigots.

I'm saying even if you did, you should be cognizant enough of the origins so that you don't repeat antisemitic talking points. But then again, if you're stupid enough to fall for "globalist" talking points, you're stupid enough to be an antisemite.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

That the judge hasn't held him in contempt 20 times yet is insane. He posted a picture of the judge with lasers eyes and the words TYRANT. There's judges out there that would be turbo mad about that.

One genuine challenge here for the judge and the claimants is they want thus over with. Holding Jones in contempt will take time and they're trying to get to the end of the trial. This is why the judge will do what she can to avoid declaring a mistrial, it fucks with everybody.

Expect some nastiness after the jury gives their decision, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also as far as I'm aware, judges tend to be far more patient with the worst people and far stricter with decent people. In part to make sure people acting in good faith cross every i and dot every t, but also because juries will react negatively if they feel a judge is being unfairly harsh.

Any sanctions or condemnations against Alex Jones have to clear the bar of "literally anyone eligible for jury duty would agree that this is a fair response."

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I've been called up twice for jury duty. First time I actually dressed like a human being only to find out that everyone's in shorts and flip-flops. Second time was much less romantic especially having to take the bus downtown at five a.m.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

going to wear a suit to jury duty next time, just so I get dismissed for being a dork try-hard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Plan R posted:

I've been called up twice for jury duty. First time I actually dressed like a human being only to find out that everyone's in shorts and flip-flops. Second time was much less romantic especially having to take the bus downtown at five a.m.

Who ever forced you to get up at 5 am should be put on trial. :colbert:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

going to wear a suit to jury duty next time, just so I get dismissed for being a dork try-hard.

Dress down, and have your nose buried in a textbook. "Don't notice" they've called on you until the second time they say your name. Worked like a charm for my grad student co-worker, every time. Nobody wants an inattentive juror.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jury duty is your only opportunity to legally hold the power of life or death over your fellow citizens. Why would you ever give up that chance???????

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think part of why Jones doesn't go full bore :jewish: :byodood: :jewish: is also because there is a streak of overt philo-semitism in the right wing chud space; they're God's chosen people, nobody who fights them ends well, we need Israel to exist for the end times etc. This strain seems to be weakening lately but it was certainly prominent in the 90s.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also as far as I'm aware, judges tend to be far more patient with the worst people and far stricter with decent people. In part to make sure people acting in good faith cross every i and dot every t, but also because juries will react negatively if they feel a judge is being unfairly harsh.

Any sanctions or condemnations against Alex Jones have to clear the bar of "literally anyone eligible for jury duty would agree that this is a fair response."
I don't think it's just judges, it's generally common. There is a certain slice of society who just act like complete dipshits in any given arena (and I'm sure there's a lot of overlap in who those people are) and they tend to get disproportionate special treatment entirely to avoid them going ham. It's definitely a cheat code to get additional attention and favor from most people... for a while.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Tunicate posted:

Jury duty is your only opportunity to legally hold the power of life or death over your fellow citizens. Why would you ever give up that chance???????
i went to jury selection once and didnt get picked but the guy on the stand was an amateur MMA fighter covered head to toe with tattoos and was being charged with break and enter and kidnapping and extortion and all sorts of cool poo poo and then like a few weeks later he got stabbed in a drug deal gone bad and this whole article was in the paper about how he was a victim of the system and slipped through the cracks and was trying to get his life in order lol how about hes just a loving rear end in a top hat thug????

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Juries are selected solely from the group of people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

I'm only half joking there, but the reality is that very few people can afford to drop everything and be on a jury, especially for an extended period. On top of that, attorneys specifically weed out people who are not witless and are actively engaged with the world.

I recall the last time I went in for jury duty it was a domestic violence case and one of the questions was "Raise your hand if you wonder what this defendant did to wind up the courtroom today," and only I and one other person raised their hands in the pool of fifty. So either the other 48 had no curiosity about the situation they were placed in since irregardless of guilt or innocence there was a human drama being placed before them, or there were a lot of dishonest people in that pool.

The jury system is desperately in need of being reformed from top to bottom. Good luck doing that without a new constitution, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The one time I got called up for jury duty, it wasn't normal jury duty but grand jury duty, and no matter how much the judge talked up getting to hear interesting crimes and tour the county jail and eat the food, there was no way - even unemployed - I was going to give up a month of my life to that poo poo.

Fortunately, enough rubes volunteered so the rest of us got dismissed on the first day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Jury duty means I get paid and don't have to do my job so, yeah, I'm down with it.

I know 2 people who did grand jury and they loved it for exactly that reason

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
First time it was something sexual and I was on a bus home before 2 p.m.

Second time I had to rotate through the pool a bit but I was still dismissed the first day.

Just don't say you hate everyone equally.

The Judge does not like that.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Renegret posted:

Jury duty means I get paid and don't have to do my job so, yeah, I'm down with it.

I know 2 people who did grand jury and they loved it for exactly that reason

Yeah, I'm a lawyer and have a few lawyer buddies who have been called, and our firms are basically required to act like it's fantastic that we're doing our civic duty so they keep paying them even as they serve. Though no lawyer wants another lawyer on a jury so most lawyers are stuck immediately.

Totally get if you're a contractor, or work hourly, it's an awful deal.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I never got paid and I'd rather go home than stand in line for three hours for my eight bucks.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i asked for a postponement of my jury duty and they emailed me back with "actually the trial's been canceled, and also this counts as doing your one required jury duty" so uh... yeah

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't really understand the whole "If the judge doesn't hold him in contempt she makes him look better and he wants her to go after him." Alex Jones is going to claim the judge is biased and a demon who smells like sulfur and a tyrant no matter what. Even if he inexplicably wins the court case. Continuing to treat him with kid gloves is offensive and representative of a two tiered justice system.

If my behavior was like Alex Jones the court case would be over and I would be in jail by now.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Remember, anything the Judge does or does NOT do is part of the Globalists plan to expose AJ as the monster he is or is not is.

Now I sound like Boebert. "My son's name is also Boebert!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't really understand the whole "If the judge doesn't hold him in contempt she makes him look better and he wants her to go after him." Alex Jones is going to claim the judge is biased and a demon who smells like sulfur and a tyrant no matter what. Even if he inexplicably wins the court case. Continuing to treat him with kid gloves is offensive and representative of a two tiered justice system.

If my behavior was like Alex Jones the court case would be over and I would be in jail by now.

It's much harder to appeal "the judge gave me all this rope and I just so happened to tie a lovely knot and throw it over the rafters". Also, he has already lost the court case, this is just determining damages.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd love to get on a jury but both times I've had to go in they got the jury filled up before they got to me

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I did jury duty 5 years ago for a civil case. I enjoyed my 3 days.

I actually have a stand by summons for this coming Friday.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If the Judge did take action on everything Jones said, she would become the center of the story and not Jones.
When you have already lost the case, you want to either drag it out as long as possible or be as convulated twisting poo poo about in the majorly slim hope of getting a mistrial or vastly reduced charges.
If she slammed him in jail for a day for not shutting up, you would have every right wing media outlet posting how the law is breaking Jones' first amendment, they wouldn't do it to a left wing journalist, its the worst thing in the world, hunter biden helped with his laptop etc.
They are already smearing her as best they can, if she gives them any more ammo it could take over from what it should be about, Jones being a massive pile of poo poo.
Which the world is seeing everytime he opens his mount thinking it will help himself.

Afterwards, when the piss baby is blaming everyone but himself while hocking marked up snake oils to chuds to cover the costs, they will have nothing apart from photoshopped images and not actual court clips to frame the narrative.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

You can ignore your summons I've ignored like 5 of 'em nothing ever happened.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

vaginite posted:

You can ignore your summons I've ignored like 5 of 'em nothing ever happened.

Depending on where you live this can be very bad advice. If there is a shortage of jurors (basically if you live in a predominantly rural county with one small high crime urban area) they will send the cops out to drag people in. In my county its actually pretty common. I'd rather be inconvenienced for a week than have to deal with the cops. That being said my work is very accommodating.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I check my mail so infrequently and regularly discard things unopened if they have the slightest whiff of being junk. I sometimes wonder if I'd even notice if I ever got called in.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

my only jury duty was over a civil case between two women. one had rear-ended the other (and admitted it), but the woman who got hit wanted more money than her insurance was paying out. because she was going to an expensive chiropractor.

I was last in a group of about 40-50 people. The lawyers wrote out a list of questions on one of those giant pads of paper. They were like "what is your name" what is your occupation" blah blah but the last one was "Do you have any preconceived opinions about the practice of Chiropractic?" So they go through the 40 people in front of me, every single one saying "No" to the last question. And of course me, like an embarrassing atheist redditor, had to say "Yes. I don't think it's legitimate medicine."

I didn't get picked. And then my gf at the time asked me why, so I told her. she ended up getting mad because she went to the chiropractor all the time and when she brought this up I said "well if it works so great why do you have to keep going?" lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

I check my mail so infrequently and regularly discard things unopened if they have the slightest whiff of being junk. I sometimes wonder if I'd even notice if I ever got called in.

Here you get a postcard with a big "JURY SUMMONS" on it so it's hard to miss.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm deaf so I'm pretty sure they don't want me on any juries in the first place
"Could you repeat the story of how you found the bodies again but more loudly, Juror 7 didn't catch it the first time"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Quote is not edit!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Quote is STILL not edit! Holy poo poo I must be tired

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Tree Dude posted:

So fun fact, most counties just send out mass jury summons and hope enough people actually come in. They don't keep track of who they send them out to so you can just not show up with no consequences.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got several summonses but it turned out that "currently living on the other side of the planet" is a solid excuse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

I got several summonses but it turned out that "currently living on the other side of the planet" is a solid excuse.

No poo poo? I had the same thing happen while I lived in Taiwan. Once they understood it was easy, but the state took its sweet time bothering to read, “can’t make it monday as that would involve 2 trains, at least 2 planes then 2 hours of additional trains and a car dear god why can’t this be an e-mail.”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

If the Judge did take action on everything Jones said, she would become the center of the story and not Jones.
When you have already lost the case, you want to either drag it out as long as possible or be as convulated twisting poo poo about in the majorly slim hope of getting a mistrial or vastly reduced charges.
If she slammed him in jail for a day for not shutting up, you would have every right wing media outlet posting how the law is breaking Jones' first amendment, they wouldn't do it to a left wing journalist, its the worst thing in the world, hunter biden helped with his laptop etc.
They are already smearing her as best they can, if she gives them any more ammo it could take over from what it should be about, Jones being a massive pile of poo poo.
Which the world is seeing everytime he opens his mount thinking it will help himself.

Afterwards, when the piss baby is blaming everyone but himself while hocking marked up snake oils to chuds to cover the costs, they will have nothing apart from photoshopped images and not actual court clips to frame the narrative.

Is this not an explicit endorsement of the two tiered system of justice we have? Nobody south of 7 figures net worth is going to get this kind of treatment. They'll get told to shut the gently caress up, gently caress the gently caress off and get their balls nailed to the wall with every piece of the book Jones isn't getting right now because of who he is and what he can do, and then lose on top of it like he is hopefully going to as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

sweet geek swag posted:

Depending on where you live this can be very bad advice. If there is a shortage of jurors (basically if you live in a predominantly rural county with one small high crime urban area) they will send the cops out to drag people in. In my county its actually pretty common. I'd rather be inconvenienced for a week than have to deal with the cops. That being said my work is very accommodating.

Knowing American cops, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if people have gotten killed for not showing up for jury duty. As in, cops called out to pick someone up, they discover the person is POC, and things just crash and burn.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BigglesSWE posted:

Knowing American cops, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if people have gotten killed for not showing up for jury duty. As in, cops called out to pick someone up, they discover the person is POC, and things just crash and burn.

I mean it's probably going to be county sherriff's deputies and not local beat cops coming to get you in this case, but it's still always a bit of a risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
All this talk is gonna get me a third summons.