Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ilmucche posted:

out of curiosity how many people ended up trading away ryuden before he ran out 9 straight wins?

lol

I did.

Never trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lexorin posted:

So close to being the negative yokozuna, but Bentai is to strong!
I am the best at being the worst!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Thauros posted:

given the current crop i'm not sure if "fighting like an ozeki" can be seen as a compliment.

Lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can't believe how much momentum Ichiyamamoto lost after starting so strong. Between that and Hoshoryu being super inconsistent I've been watching myself slide down the score rankings in glum resignation. It's been an entertaining basho so far though, getting to watch Hokotufuji go on an absolute tear was really cool and I've loved Tobizaru's performance here. Looking forward to the final day!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Thauros posted:

given the current crop i'm not sure if "fighting like an ozeki" can be seen as a compliment. hope he or someone else can emerge soon and change that ofc

one of the top replays from a few days ago was Asanoyama getting bodied in the lower divisions and that is just funny

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Our next yokozuna, Tochimusashi, won the juryo yusho in his debut tournament

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
guessing pink macaroon this time. hope this isn't too early!

EDIT: it was green.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 26, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Giving every possible bit of my energy to Takayasu

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sansho:
  • Technique: Wakatakakage
  • Fighting spirit: Takayasu
  • Fighting spirit: Hokutofuji (must win today to claim the prize)
  • Outstanding technique: Tamawashi
  • Outstanding technique: Tobizaru (must win today to claim the prize)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Coming into the final day with two folks at 4-10 and three at 6-8 (two of which are fighting each other). Sometimes, ride-or-die just means dying spectacularly, and I’ll be amazed if I don’t set a record for negative yokozuna with no kyujo / no trades.

—-

Ura looked genuinely surprised that he won.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Shiroc posted:

Our next yokozuna, Tochimusashi, won the juryo yusho in his debut tournament
Kinbozan, also in his debut tournament, was runner-up, and Hokuseiho was one more loss back. Some exciting talent hopefuly coming to makuuchi soon.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Sweep the leg, Tobizaru!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yusho: well done old man (who's younger than me lol), sixth time as runner-up for takayasu, hope he gets to close one out someday

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Sweep the leg, Tobizaru!

So pleased he got the win!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Tochi: great match, did not expect Ichi to go from belt grab to folding that fast. 7/8 ain’t a KK but it’s respectable

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LMFAO at Abema roasting Wakamotoharu for messing up during the 'final three matches' ceremony

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That was an extremely Shodai last match.

Two Ozeki at 4-11 without going kyujo. That may be a first.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think tamawashi winning the yusho without a playoff gives gaghskull the fantasy juryo win

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, Tamawashi has been one of "my guys" since I started watching and I'm really happy that he could power his way to a yusho, but it was pretty heartbreaking seeing Takayasu stumble at the last hurdle again. He looked so sad :(

Extra sadness seeing my main man Hokutofuji miss out on the Kanto-sho after getting matador'd once again. 10-5 is great but still...

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

If I've done my totalling up correctly, I believe congratulations are in order for scripterror who edges out Crusty Nutsack and I by 3 points. I got close and would have been tied for first in points had Ryuden not won his final match and nullified the jun-yusho points :argh: but scripterror would still be the champ by way of the yusho tiebreaker.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ozekis bar Takakeisho are a disgrace

Terunofuji pulled out six days ago and still managed a better score than Mitakeumi and Shodai

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Beeswax posted:

Man, Tamawashi has been one of "my guys" since I started watching and I'm really happy that he could power his way to a yusho, but it was pretty heartbreaking seeing Takayasu stumble at the last hurdle again. He looked so sad :(

Extra sadness seeing my main man Hokutofuji miss out on the Kanto-sho after getting matador'd once again. 10-5 is great but still...

i was rooting for hokutofuji mostly to clear up a k slot with tobizaru and tamawashi both more deserving of one

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Although it looks like my tournament picks didn't get registered, I think my "ah well, just gimme the people that look like they're gonna have a bad time" choices ended up doing far better than if I'd tried to strategize. Fun basho overall (at least up to and including sekiwake); really happy to see the winner get the dub several years removed from being considered a top contender.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A fun basho overall. We even got an Ura kachikoshi but if/when Terunofuji retires it's going to be a bit dire up top for a while.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think Hoshoryu, Wakatakakage, Takakeisho, Kiribayama etc will keep their consistency. It's just Shodai stinking the sanyaku up. It really does stain the Ozeki rank the way he just doesn't give a poo poo for four months at a time.

There won't be a new yokozuna for a while though, that much I can tell. Nishikifuji could have a shout at it within the next couple of years I reckon. He gives me that vibe. Maybe Wakatakakage, if he just keeps on improving and working on his weak spots.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think Hoshoryu, Wakatakakage, Takakeisho, Kiribayama etc will keep their consistency. It's just Shodai stinking the sanyaku up. It really does stain the Ozeki rank the way he just doesn't give a poo poo for four months at a time.

I think there's a decent chance the lower sanyaku is going to be fairly solid. In addition to the guys mentioned, I think Kotonowaka and Abi are capable of putting in consistent results near the top and we'll see what Asanoyama has left in the tank.

I think the problem is that none of them have really separated themselves from the pack to put out an Ozeki promotion worthy performance, but if they were magically awarded the role, I could see them defending the role and not looking out of place.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Somehow this basho ended up worse for me than last one but I will take my brand of sumo to juryo and see what happens from there.

I think there's either going to be a wide hole at the top or a glut of promotions. As people have said, there's a bunch of sumotori that seem to be spinning their tires without anyone pulling away. I think Wakatakakage will probably be the first to Ozeki but you could easily argue for anyone else around his same rank right now if they begin to perform consistently.

Looking forward to next basho already!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Here’s a question for more knowledgable sumo watchers: has there ever been a recorded instance of a double henka? I mean, a tachiai where both competitors just clearly jump to the side and things get really awkward

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Here’s a question for more knowledgable sumo watchers: has there ever been a recorded instance of a double henka? I mean, a tachiai where both competitors just clearly jump to the side and things get really awkward

I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen but I can't think of who the wrestlers were, but while looking for it I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQfF6vlRHE&t=375s

Oh here's one, don't think I've even seen this one before:

M4e Tochinoshin vs Ozeki Harumafuji, a year before his promotion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglcgI36wS8&t=345s

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 25, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Brut posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen but I can't think of who the wrestlers were, but while looking for it I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQfF6vlRHE&t=375s

hakuho looks so happy with himself there

what's the enho match where they both stood up and stared at each other?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

hakuho looks so happy with himself there

what's the enho match where they both stood up and stared at each other?

Oh that was a FujiTV special tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLU3AtkoC3M

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
:(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Crazy basho, very fun, love to see the old man pick up the cup again. Feel terrible for Takayasu tho. There was some great action on the final day.

Skjorte posted:

Although it looks like my tournament picks didn't get registered, I think my "ah well, just gimme the people that look like they're gonna have a bad time" choices ended up doing far better than if I'd tried to strategize. Fun basho overall (at least up to and including sekiwake); really happy to see the winner get the dub several years removed from being considered a top contender.

Whoops! I just input your information. You ended up with the following team:

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Hoshoryu
M1-5: Tobizaru
M6-10: Onosho
M11+: Kotoshoho

Sorry you didn't get to follow along this basho, it's sometimes hard to get every piece of important information out of the thread when I'm reading it day-by-day. Everyone should feel free to PM me during basho if it looks like I missed something!

Final Results

Makuuchi
code:
60.5	scripterror
57.5	Banana Canada
57.5	Crusty Nutsack
56.5	Khizan
56.5	Netsky
54.5	bartolimu
54.5	Jobbo_Fett
54	Tochiazuma
53	Eli949
52.5	Mode 7
52.5	Thauros
52	Saturnine Aberrance
51.5	anakha
51	Charles Gnarwin
51	Flinger
50	Communist Thoughts
50	jmzero
50	Takuan
49.5	Ice Phisherman
49.5	NuclearPotato
48.5	Iron Chef Nex
48	Marching Powder
48	MyChemicalImbalance
47.5	Vargatron
45	Skortje
44.5	bessantj
44.5	Kenning
44.5	pseudodragon
43	GoatSeeGuy
42.5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
42	Tiny Bug Child
41	Everyones Favorite Poster
40.5	whats for dinner
39.5	Lid
38	Chinook
36.5	Fluffdaddy
34	Teddybear
32	Robviously
31.5	Neodoomium
28	sivad
25.5	ullerrm
Juryo
code:
59	ilmucche
55.5	Gaghskull
54	Ben Nerevarine
48	MalarkeyToboggan
47.5	PJ
46	LlamaTrauma
45.5	Helianthus Annuus
42.5	Enfys
42	ratmosphere
41.5	Kuros
41.5	oldskool
41	Xerzes
40.5	Biosys
40.5	Liquid Communism
39	Brut
38.5	Pakled
38.5	KungFu Grip
38	Mekchu
37	Maigius
36.5	Boogalo
36.5	Log082
35	Akiosan
33.5	Lexorin
33.5	QuasiQuack
33.5	rare Magic card l00k
32	Dead Goon
26.5	Bentai
Congratulations to scripterror on their first yusho! The combination of yusho-winner Tamawashi and red-hot Wakatakakage combined to get them over the finish line, despite losing Terunofuji to kyujo. Co-jun-yusho winners Banana Canada and Crusty Nutsack also both had Wakatakakage, although the former had Takayasu and the latter Tobizaru to get their special prize bonuses.

Down in juryo, ilmucche the gets yusho after a rough year (their last winning record was Aki 2021). Their winning team consisted of Tamawashi, Takakeisho, and Ryuden for some very workmanlike points. Congratulations on turning things around! Juryo runner-up Gaghskull had Tamawashi, Takayasu, and Ryuden, but they were hampered by the Terunofuji kyujo, only being able to pick up Mitakeumi. Also congrats to shin-juryo Ben Nerevarine for an excellent debut tournament.

Special mention to ullerrm, Bentai, and Dead Goon who all managed to avoid even a single kachi-koshi on their team this round, with the latter managing 6 make-koshi. There were more MK than usual this basho, but still, ouch. Also want to call out the faithless Ryuden traders. Neodoomium and Boogalo traded a KK for an MK with that one, while Ice Phisherman and NuclearPotato would have both had clean slates of KK if not for that trade. The perils of trading!

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: MyChemicalImbalance
Kanto-sho: ilmucche, Ben Nerevarine
Shukun-sho: scripterror

Very fun basho, I'm hoping that a lot of the new talent being developed at the top of makuuchi can reinforce the flagging senior san'yaku corps in the next year because Wakatakakage, Hoshoryu, Tobizaru, Kotonowaka, and Kiribayama continue to look good, and younger prospects like Nishikifuji and Midorifuji have also been really nice to watch. Once again, it's cool as hell that we've got almost 70 people playing fantasy sumo, look forward to the goonzuke in the next couple weeks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for doing this, Kenning.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I feel bad for Takayasu and his always-the-bridesmaid life, but I’m glad to see Tamawashi take a yusho. This win makes him the oldest rikishi to claim the cup, and I always like to see records like that set. Arguably, it’s not great for sumo for somebody who’s almost 38 to take a yusho, but iron man Tamawashi deserves it imo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for running fantasy, as always, Kenning! It's always a blast.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thanks kenning! already looking forward to next time

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks, Kenning! Your little write ups are always a fun way to start and end a tournament. Way better than just a spreadsheet kicking out our scores and someone wins.

Poor Takayasu. Dude will never get to hold that cup.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks Kenning! Seriously, you make this fun.

Also, I've learned a valuable lesson about never trading.

And I will ignore that lesson and continue to trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm an inveterate trader, I probably trade at least 4/6 basho. The sting of trading away a winner for a loser is very bracing.