Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Gin posted:

move fast and break fingers

Every car programmer thinks they're a Chess grandmaster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Window pinch protection hasn't been static for decades though. What manufacturers do and what is required has been changing. It's gone from:

1) Do nothing
2) Window buttons are recessed, pull up for up, and have minimum required force so that it's harder to hit accidentally (the main source of fatalities and serious injuries is little kids climbing/leaning out windows. You want the buttons to not be pushable by feet)
3) Window motors stop when pinching something, even if the button keeps asking for up (stop crushing the kid or finger)
4) Window motors automatically reverse and reopen when they pinch something (don't trap the kid or finger)

You don't start needing software until (4), (3) is cheaper and easier to do with some simple circuitry. Normal car manufacturers have also had recalls for all of those.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it very much reeks of startup/entrepreneur brain where you assume that literally everyone else is just too stuck in their ways and afraid to innovate, only to run headfirst into hundreds of problems that literally everyone else has already encountered and solved before. It's doubly funny that it seems to happen in a software context. Basically the first thing I learned in practical development was: "No matter what you're trying to do, somebody else likely already tried it, and probably did it better than you would. Do your loving research and don't waste your time on solved problems".

if only techbros would all show this mind set by showing you can in fact eat bullets.

also I saw a Tesla with a gullwing door in the wild today. I have no clue if it can open in a normal parking lot space, I assume it can but lol Tesla.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Window pinch protection hasn't been static for decades though. What manufacturers do and what is required has been changing. It's gone from:

1) Do nothing
2) Window buttons are recessed, pull up for up, and have minimum required force so that it's harder to hit accidentally (the main source of fatalities and serious injuries is little kids climbing/leaning out windows. You want the buttons to not be pushable by feet)
3) Window motors stop when pinching something, even if the button keeps asking for up (stop crushing the kid or finger)
4) Window motors automatically reverse and reopen when they pinch something (don't trap the kid or finger)

You don't start needing software until (4), (3) is cheaper and easier to do with some simple circuitry. Normal car manufacturers have also had recalls for all of those.

No one has done anything past 2 without software. 3 has basically always been done this way because it's cheaper/simpler to assemble (i.e., just have a body control module).

Yes, normal car manufacturers have has recalls on occasion. Mostly earlier on, and they make many more variations and many more cars and still have fewer recalls not only by volume but by number.

It's pathetic. Why are you shilling for this company? Do you own their stock? Do you own one of their shitmobiles?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Motronic posted:

It's pathetic. Why are you shilling for this company? Do you own their stock? Do you own one of their shitmobiles?

It's D&D, people disagree some times. They didn't say anything singing the praises of Tesla; no need to witch-hunt

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:golfclap:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Foxfire_ posted:

1) Do nothing

3 & 4 could easily be done with electronics, but no company would bother because why not do a poo poo job in software instead :shrug:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're all getting their next directions from anal dildos, yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jaxyon posted:

They're all getting their next directions from anal dildos, yes.

"At the next intersection, thrust deep."

"Thrust deep."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Motronic posted:

Piss off with this. Nobody is shilling on a dead comedy forum, because nothing that gets posted on this site actually matters or moves the needle a single nanometer. It’s just fun to disagree sometimes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronash posted:

Piss off with this. Nobody is shilling on a dead comedy forum, because nothing that gets posted on this site actually matters or moves the needle a single nanometer. It’s just fun to disagree sometimes.

Says you, but I think my posting is great and up to the standards expected of me by this thread's sponsor, NordVPN.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Baronash posted:

There was a Google employee shilling Stadia in that thread. It isn't as unlikely as you think it is. Goons downplay the importance of SA but, sadly, it matters.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Tbh I think it's more likely goons take excitement for shilling. Someone working on a product that's excited for it? Must be a shill!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thing about tech nightmares is that this website is one if them. The paywall is a barrier, but to pretend like there are forces out there peddling influence and aren't here is overstating the websites insulation from commonplace internet bullshit.

Not judging this specific case I don't fuckin know, but the pervading idea that no one outside is paying attention to these dead gay forums is silly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You would think Tesla would be under mountains of lawsuits for being so inept.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

You would think Tesla would be under mountains of lawsuits for being so inept.

In December 2021, it had 1200 lawsuits against it according to Wikipedia

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

All tech is nightmare. All user input is error. Would you like to play chess?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
no because your meta matrix board isnt even set up correctly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

"At the next intersection, thrust deep."

"Thrust deep."

I've heard of backseat drivers, but this is the first backside driver I know of.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This doesn't really surprise me but

https://news.yahoo.com/linkedin-ran-social-experiments-20-142628461.html

LinkedIn Ran Social Experiments On 20 Million Users Over Five Years

quote:

LinkedIn ran experiments on more than 20 million users over five years that, while intended to improve how the platform worked for members, could have affected some people’s livelihoods, according to a new study.

In experiments conducted around the world from 2015 to 2019, LinkedIn randomly varied the proportion of weak and strong contacts suggested by its “People You May Know” algorithm — the company’s automated system for recommending new connections to its users. The tests were detailed in a study published this month in the journal Science and co-authored by researchers at LinkedIn, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University and Harvard Business School.

LinkedIn’s algorithmic experiments may come as a surprise to millions of people because the company did not inform users that the tests were underway.

Tech giants like LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network, routinely run large-scale experiments in which they try out different versions of app features, web designs and algorithms on different people. The long-standing practice, called A/B testing, is intended to improve consumers’ experiences and keep them engaged, which helps the companies make money through premium membership fees or advertising. Users often have no idea that companies are running the tests on them.

But the changes made by LinkedIn are indicative of how such tweaks to widely used algorithms can become social engineering experiments with potentially life-altering consequences for many people. Experts who study the societal effects of computing said conducting long, large-scale experiments on people that could affect their job prospects, in ways that are invisible to them, raised questions about industry transparency and research oversight.

“The findings suggest that some users had better access to job opportunities or a meaningful difference in access to job opportunities,” said Michael Zimmer, an associate professor of computer science and the director of the Center for Data, Ethics and Society at Marquette University. “These are the kind of long-term consequences that need to be contemplated when we think of the ethics of engaging in this kind of big data research.”

It's an interesting article and, as someone who has struggled professionally the last few years and recently made a career change, I can tell you that having to conduct job seeking almost entirely online is rife with problems and not just this one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I like to imagine the faces of the people on our Ethikkommission if I were to pitch this "experiment" to them. :allears:

Every single person involved in this should be in prison, imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That article is pretty nonsensical. We only know one option was better for the jobseekers because of the experiment. That’s how experiments work. Not to mention they didn’t actually conduct any experiment to test this hypothesis; they merely analyzed data that already existed.

There’s maybe a broad point that such experiments, in general, aren’t securing informed consent. But that’s a much more narrow point than the article is insinuating.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Seems like it would be equally problematic to create an algorithm and not test if it does what you want it to do, if it actually does the opposite or if there is a better version.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It may have been executed in an ethical way, but there was nobody responsible for making sure it was executed ethically, it was just folks loving around with settings.

Unethical behavior here would include things like:
- Not collecting the right data, so you're just giving people randomly unequal service for no benefit
- Keeping the experiment going after it is obvious that some settings are better and LinkedIn is keeping some people in a worse state
- Making sure this experiment had to be executed the way it was done, and not say, letting people set their own levels, or making more educated answers based on existing data and publications

There's other potential issues but that's what I see

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lack of informed consent and ability to opt-out of the experiment makes it seem pretty unethical. I wonder if the university associated researchers the article describes got that signed off by their ethical review boards. I don't think my board would approve something with this kind of potential human impact.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, if nothing else three upper tier institutions` ethics boards slept on watch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tuxedo Gin posted:

university associated researchers

ethical review boards

Lol, the sum of the "ethics review" of this was almost certainly an email to LinkedIn's legal team saying "Hey, The PM heard this wild idea over the weekend about how to return results for contact suggestions, this isn't going to get us into any legal trouble right?" at best.

quote:

After the first wave of algorithmic testing, researchers at LinkedIn and MIT hit upon the idea of analyzing the outcomes from those experiments to test the theory of the strength of weak ties. Although the decades-old theory had become a cornerstone of social science, it had not been rigorously proved in a large-scale prospective trial that randomly assigned people to social connections of different strengths.

The outside researchers analyzed aggregate data from LinkedIn. The study reported that people who received more recommendations for moderately weak contacts generally applied for and accepted more jobs — results that dovetailed with the weak-tie theory.

Sounds like they did A/B testing, then researchers also independently analyzed the results afterwards?

Also, if you're on any major website, you're almost certainly part of at least one A/B test. You consented to it in the click wrap EULA that no one reads, if it was mentioned at all.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's not like people using sites with these algorithms know how they're operating at any time, why would LinkedIn be required for people to consent to them doing what they want with it?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

So I went looking for the article where Facebook did A/B testing on its users seeing how their posting habits were affected by either showing mainly positive content to some and mainly negative content to others in their news feeds:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/technology/facebook-tinkers-with-users-emotions-in-news-feed-experiment-stirring-outcry.html

Along the way I wound up finding this which I hadn't heard about before:

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1452978182882275335

:tif:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Finally proof that emojis are bad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doggles posted:

So I went looking for the article where Facebook did A/B testing on its users seeing how their posting habits were affected by either showing mainly positive content to some and mainly negative content to others in their news feeds:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/technology/facebook-tinkers-with-users-emotions-in-news-feed-experiment-stirring-outcry.html

Along the way I wound up finding this which I hadn't heard about before:

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1452978182882275335

:tif:

Yeah, the problem with Facebook's actions weren't that they did testing to see what would happen, it was that they settled on the most horrible option each time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.wired.com/story/denmark-google-schools-data/

Good article about the tech scandal that's rocking the nation here in Denmark. Danish schools have been handing out Chromebooks like candy, with no consideration of the fact that this required the students to hand over all their data to Google. Thus, the educational system was thrown into disarray when the data protection authorities banned the use of Chromebooks in schools.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Sort of thread related article I found about the nightmare development of Fallout 76

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233

quote:

“I don’t know how [Bethesda] made [Skyrim]. It doesn’t make sense to me,” a former employee told Kotaku. “Like it had to have been like monkeys with a typewriter creating Shakespeare. I don’t know how things can be so chaotic and people are still able to do their jobs.”

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

video game development is notorious for being badly paid (relative to other programming positions), badly managed (mandatory overtime is endemic) and having high levels of executive fuckery/shortsightedness. it's a combination of an industry that grew up in a post-labor protection era, studios that ballooned from small productions to international juggernauts while retaining much of the same management, and being a "passion industry" that can lure enthusiasts in on prestige.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stexils posted:

video game development is notorious for being badly paid (relative to other programming positions), badly managed (mandatory overtime is endemic) and having high levels of executive fuckery/shortsightedness. it's a combination of an industry that grew up in a post-labor protection era, studios that ballooned from small productions to international juggernauts while retaining much of the same management, and being a "passion industry" that can lure enthusiasts in on prestige.

Don't forget "massive waves of layoffs after a project is completed, ensuring that all institutional knowledge walks out the door the nanosecond a game goes to market".

Like, someone telling me they are in school so they can make video games is one of the few things I will actively try to talk them down from. It's an industry chocked full of abuse above and beyond most of the job market.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

SimonChris posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/denmark-google-schools-data/

Good article about the tech scandal that's rocking the nation here in Denmark. Danish schools have been handing out Chromebooks like candy, with no consideration of the fact that this required the students to hand over all their data to Google. Thus, the educational system was thrown into disarray when the data protection authorities banned the use of Chromebooks in schools.

lol this loving boomer dad probably hosed up the school system's entire IT department, distance learning framework, and every teacher's class and education plan bc their kid had access to youtube because he personally is a dipshit who hates technology and forces his kids to not have technology

also lol @ referring to them as a "parent activist" and not "parent who sabotaged the denmark educational system because they got mad their obsessive control over their children's technology access got temporarily breached so that the child could learn in a productive environment"

quote:

This chaos had its roots back in August 2019, when one local 8-year-old approached his father with a problem. One of his classmates, he said, had used the 8-year-old’s YouTube account to write a “very rude” comment under another person’s video, and the son was panicking about the possible consequences. He was worried he would be punished for harassment or become the target of an online revenge campaign.

His father, Jesper Graugaard, was initially confused; he hadn’t set up a YouTube account for his son, and he hadn’t given the school permission to create one either. His family was “proudly analog”; his three children don’t have their own smartphones. So when Graugaard realized that his son (who he declines to name) had a YouTube account that publicly listed his full name, school, and class, he was shocked and immediately contacted his son’s school. Staff there, he says, tried to wave the issue away as a mistake with private filters they could easily fix. Google declined to comment on the specifics of this case but said schools’ IT staff are typically in charge of which Google services students can access.

the literal solution here is exactly what google and the school said it was, adjust the settings for student accounts to block access to youtube, that's all that needed done here

instead, this actual jackass probably just cost denmark's school system an extremely large amount of money, hosed up the curriculum for every single student in the system because now every teacher's lesson plan was forced to migrate off of a digital framework since congrats, any work students had stored digitally is was inaccessible because a bunch of boomers are upset that pen and paper is obsolete as per the 2nd paragraph in this article and found an easy scapegoat to whine and moan about because in tyool 2022, alleged first world countries still give a poo poo what parents have to say about the way their kids should be raised and don't have the balls to tell them to gently caress off

i hate dipshit parents who get mad at the concept of their children being within 5 miles of internet connected devices because their lovely tv soap opera had some unrealistic hacking scenario that scares them into thinking technology should be withheld from people until they're 18, because they kneecap educators who are trying to make sure students actually keep up with modern times

google is just going to harvest their kid's data anyways when they ditch their boomer parents and have to enter the real world where an online presence is needed for finance, jobs, paying your bills, and everything else you need to do to function as an adult in society while they're struggling to learn it all from scratch because their parents didn't let them use anything with an internet connection while growing up, thereby opening them up to actual danger in the form of tech illiteracy making them a perfect mark for scammers

parents blocking their children from having a computer of any kind until they're an adult are abusive parents in this day and age because that is setting them up for failure
telling a child that pen and paper is dangerous for them and that they need to stick to quill and parchment or carving into stone tablets is equally ridiculous, and yet we treat people who tell their kids to stick to pen and paper and to treat technology like a hot stove as "stern and strict but responsible parents"

anyone still railing about big tech stealing your data in this day and age is someone who wishes they had a time machine to before the internet became critical infrastructure and we all sold our soul to the dipshit techbros in silicon valley, and since time machines will never exist they need to move the gently caress on with their lives

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 28, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Iamgoofball posted:

lol this loving boomer dad probably hosed up the school system's entire IT department, distance learning framework, and every teacher's class and education plan bc their kid had access to youtube because he personally is a dipshit who hates technology and forces his kids to not have technology

also lol @ referring to them as a "parent activist" and not "parent who sabotaged the denmark educational system because they got mad their obsessive control over their children's technology access got temporarily breached so that the child could learn in a productive environment"

the literal solution here is exactly what google and the school said it was, adjust the settings for student accounts to block access to youtube, that's all that needed done here

instead, this actual jackass probably just cost denmark's school system an extremely large amount of money, hosed up the curriculum for every single student in the system because now every teacher's lesson plan was forced to migrate off of a digital framework since congrats, any work students had stored digitally is was inaccessible because a bunch of boomers are upset that pen and paper is obsolete as per the 2nd paragraph in this article and found an easy scapegoat to whine and moan about because in tyool 2022, alleged first world countries still give a poo poo what parents have to say about the way their kids should be raised and don't have the balls to tell them to gently caress off

i hate dipshit parents who get mad at the concept of their children being within 5 miles of internet connected devices because their lovely tv soap opera had some unrealistic hacking scenario that scares them into thinking technology should be withheld from people until they're 18, because they kneecap educators who are trying to make sure students actually keep up with modern times

google is just going to harvest their kid's data anyways when they ditch their boomer parents and have to enter the real world where an online presence is needed for finance, jobs, paying your bills, and everything else you need to do to function as an adult in society

anyone still railing about big tech stealing your data in this day and age is someone who wishes they had a time machine to before the internet became critical infrastructure and we all sold our soul to the dipshit techbros in silicon valley, and since time machines will never exist they need to move the gently caress on with their lives

one of my probes is from telling an idiot on these very forums that they should stop getting mad that a charity vet dared have a youtube channel where their precious children might see the insides of an animal

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Oneiros posted:

one of my probes is from telling an idiot on these very forums that they should stop getting mad that a charity vet dared have a youtube channel where their precious children might see the insides of an animal

the Faustian bargain society as a whole made with big tech was "everything is a lot easier to manage in just about every aspect of life at very little if any direct expense to you, but now you have no privacy now and forever and everything critical in life will rely on our technology."

whether society should have agreed to that deal with the big tech devil is another topic entirely, but what matters is that society agreed to it and society abides by it

every time someone tries to forcibly make their kids not adhere to this pact by raising them without access to tech, they end up raising a adult who now has to go through an incredibly rough and dangerous learning period the second they're out from under the thumb of their parents because they lack the critical life skills of being tech literate in 2022 and have to get help with poo poo we normally associate with elderly grandparents having trouble with

when i was in high school 2014-2018 the amount of students who came in from homeschooling or overly-strict parenting situations who simply did not know how to use computers or technology in an effective way to actually do anything productive was absurdly high, schools in the US have to teach computer literacy to a lot of kids who simply lack it despite not being in an economic situation that would naturally result in lack of experience with technology, and then risk getting chewed out by the parents for it

it was a regular occurrence for the school district to issue a new student a chromebook and then for the chromebook to return the next day with an angry parent who is mad their child was given a computer by the school because they don't want their child to have access to a computer at all

the reasons provided by these dipshits end up being one or more of the following:
1. "we didn't have these back when I was in school so my child doesn't need this for school"
2. "how dare you try to parent my child for me by giving them access to technology without my explicit approval"
3. "technology like this will make my child lazy/dumb them down/make them complacent and forget how to write and memorize things"
and occasionally you got the real insane parents:
4. "how dare you expose my child to computers, they'll become insert conspiracy theory about their precious children who did nothing wrong ever in their entire lives being corrupted/hosed with by technology here"

every time the school had to apologize to the whiny parent and that kid had to be catered to along with the rest of the children forbidden by their parents from using technology if the kid wasn't smart enough to keep the tech usage on the downlow from their parents

these kids always ended up having serious issues down the line with tech literacy and security, kids who didn't know how computer logins worked were more susceptible to being hosed with by other kids who did know because they'd do poo poo like leave public access computers logged in on their account for people to gently caress around with, like the example given by the whiny parent in Denmark about how his kid's school google account got used to post mean internet comments

mean internet comments are one thing, but what happens when that grown adult, who learned the wrong lesson from the incident because his dad taught him the problem was he had access to a computer at all, not that he left his account logged in unattended on a public device, leaves his bank account logged in on a random library computer or some poo poo and just walks away without signing out or taking any steps to remove their credentials from the machine?

hopefully this poo poo's gone by the next generation or two of kids ending up in schools but by that point the damage to the education systems is already going to be done by the dipshit boomer parents upset that their child doesn't have to manually write and memorize multiplication tables anymore and can use a calculator instead so who knows

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 28, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Iamgoofball posted:

when i was in high school 2014-2018

The Danish parent* is right, and someday you will understand that.

*Probably not a Boomer because Boomers’ kids graduated long ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Platystemon posted:

The Danish parent* is right, and someday you will understand that.

*Probably not a Boomer because Boomers’ kids graduated long ago

the danish boomer taught his child that the response to "my account got stolen and used to post mean things on the internet" is "i shouldn't of had an account in the first place" and not "i should secure my accounts better and practice secure usage of the internet and computers"

if you don't understand how this is an example of ridiculous helicopter parenting causing a child to not learn valuable life skills they will need later, then i don't really know how to explain this to you in a way that's going to make you understand the problem here and will just hope you think it through and see how the kid is going to take away the wrong lesson from this incident

once again, how well do you think this kid is going to fare when he's an adult after being kept away from learning proper account security?

laugh all you want about me just "not getting it" or whatever because old people right and young people wrong or whatever you were thinking when you posted that epic zinger, but disregarding the very real negative impact that hostile-to-tech parenting has on kids growing up is going to come back to haunt you when you get a coworker who doesn't know how to print things or what num lock does because they weren't allowed to use a computer very often until they were moving out of their parents home for the first time, or a coworker who's responsible for security breaches and getting scammed over the internet because nobody taught them not to download and open random poo poo they were sent over email without verifying what it actually is first because rather than teach them how to safely use email, their parent simply denied them access to email until they were legally capable of making their own decisions on poo poo and had to learn how to use email as an adult on their own

and it's going to very much come back to haunt these kids when they grow up and are adults and lack tech literacy and basic internet safety knowledge that we all take for granted because their dipshit helicopter parents didn't let them access the internet because it wasn't something they could tightly control every aspect of and rather than take the extra time to teach these kids valuable real life skills like "how to actually be safe on the internet, which is now a mandatory part of being an adult and doing important adulting tasks like paying your bills and your rent and managing your bank account in most countries in 2022", they chose to simply shelter their kids from it and then throw them into the deep end when they're no longer responsible for them and able to tell them what to do

we all love to laugh at the guy who installs the sketchy spyware claiming they have a virus and then sends $500 in itunes gift cards to some guy on the phone, but we also tend to forget that the dude getting scammed for 500 bucks and their computer compromised to steal even more of their information/money probably didn't get taught how to be safe with computers by their parents and is now paying the price for that