Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

I actually really like his splatter fest approach to action scenes but they only work if you're using actual people and copious squibs. The bloom and the total CGI-ness of that Hobbit scene kills it.

Like, the fight in Balin's Tomb is taken right from the lawnmower scene in Braindead and it's great. Amon Hen is spectacular. But the more the CGI takes over the less impact the fights have.

The lack of physicality does make it worse than his early films, but also the tonal whiplash makes it so those scenes and the dramatic scenes undermine each other to an extent. I can't fully get into the mood for either.

Braindead is still PJ's best movie for me. He's alright at drama but he does splatter horror action better than Raimi, in my opinion. Too bad he lost interest in screenplays that fully embraced his sensibilities on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I strongly disagree with this meme. Tauriel's love triangle wasn't bad because "it wasn't in the books." The idea of adding in more distinct characters to the wood elves was a good adaptation decision, in my opinion, and there is nothing inherently wrong with romance, especially as it adds more substance to the conflict between the Elven king and the dwarves, which isn't particularly well fleshed out in the original book.

It was bad because it was poorly written and shoehorned in to fill out the runtime of a three-hour movie that got inexplicably stretched into two movies totaling over five hours.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never seen the extended hobbit films and after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBhEFp93Lc

I think I made the right call.

that scene kicks rear end

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ian McKellen deserved an oscar for not just walking away from that scene.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bugblatter posted:

The lack of physicality does make it worse than his early films, but also the tonal whiplash makes it so those scenes and the dramatic scenes undermine each other to an extent. I can't fully get into the mood for either.

Braindead is still PJ's best movie for me. He's alright at drama but he does splatter horror action better than Raimi, in my opinion. Too bad he lost interest in screenplays that fully embraced his sensibilities on that front.

yeah braindead is his best work

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Hard disagree. People who complain "Look at these lore nerds" don't understand that most of the fans of Tolkien's writings have no problems with a movie or series leaving the established paths of the lore, as long as it makes sense and is done in a creative manner.

The Tauriel and Kili angle was a perfect example of that and it captured the essence of stories like Beren&Luthien or Aragorn&Arwen. The Second Age would have been a suitable setting for similar stories, since the major events are only laid out in broad strokes and there is plenty of room between the lines to create a narrative that can stand on it's own feet.

But instead of working with and between the lore, the writers of RoP decided to tear down established foundations and pillars, to replace them with their often ludicrous ideas. This is why we have Galadriel as loose cannon cop who, when finally asked about her motivation, answers "I cannot stop". And why we are now getting a story about elven mithril addicts.

There is a difference between inserting a quality story that understands the Tolkien legendarium and inserting nonsense that makes a mockery of it.

https://i.imgur.com/S4XMkJ3.gifv

Don't get high on your own (mithril) supply.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 24, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never seen the extended hobbit films and after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBhEFp93Lc

I think I made the right call.

Why is the video throbbing? Is that some attempt to dodge a copyright strike? Like at 0:35 the tops of the buildings lurch to the left.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

“Hey Peter yeah. That duology? Yeah it’s a trilogy now. No, each movie needs to still be around 180 minutes long. Figure it out.”

Nope, the studios had nothing to do with that. They were just as surprised as everyone when PJ told them he wanted to extend it to 3 movies.

quote:

“More controversial still, as far as the media was concerned, was the expansion to three films. Two weeks out from Comic-con in July, where Jackson was due to show footage from Bag End and the Riddles in the Dark sequence, he had sat down with Walsh and Boyens to ‘talk about the shape of the two films’. They got on to which additional scenes they might shoot in these very pick-ups, and the list just kept on growing. ‘What if it was a trilogy?’ Jackson had wondered aloud.
‘It never structurally had felt quite right as two,’ he admitted, and this created the symmetry of two trilogies.
In the prehistoric days with Miramax he had proposed making a single film version of The Hobbit. In the del Toro era it had naturally evolved into two. And now it was three — much to the incredulity of a growing pocket of online dissension. The book barely made three hundred pages.
This was never a matter of studio pressure. Warner Bros. were as startled as anyone when Walsh and Boyens flew into Los Angeles and proposed the idea. ‘ “In the end it became about an opportunity to tell part of the story that will never get told if you don’t tell it now,’ determined Boyens. Unsurprisingly Warner Bros. didn’t take much winning over. Any additional costs would be soaked up by a third spin at the box office.”

Source: Anything You Can Imagine: Peter Jackson and the Making of Middle-earth by Ian Nathan. Great book btw.

Justaddwater fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 24, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I still remember the stoner hilarity between my friends and I when it was announced that the guy who made Bad Taste was getting the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

drat we must have watched Bad Taste nearly every weekend before that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bruceski posted:

Why is the video throbbing? Is that some attempt to dodge a copyright strike? Like at 0:35 the tops of the buildings lurch to the left.

Yeah that's a copyright dodge tactic.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the series turns more stupid every episode

it has nothing to with tolkien's writing except some names, it misses all the themes

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Justaddwater posted:

Nope, the studios had nothing to do with that. They were just as surprised as everyone when PJ told them he wanted to extend it to 3 movies.

There are books/series that need multiple movies to cover. HP and the Deathly Hallows would have been cramped as gently caress as a single movie.

There might have been some justification in stretching The Lord of the Rings to four of even six movies.

There really isn't any justification aside from straight up green to stretch The Hobbit into three giant movies.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
ep5

I’m losing faith. The writing is getting really bad.

Elves need absorb light from mithril? Or they all fade away in a few months?

^— that entire story beat is … incredibly dumb. Like wtf?

Costumes, set, music remain awesome, but the writing really is starting to drag :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

alcaras posted:

ep5

Costumes, set, music remain awesome, but the writing really is starting to drag :(

I kinda figure those are lies from Annatar. I’m suspicious about that meeting that Elrond specifically wasn’t invited to in episode 1. Were all the elven rings made of mithril or just Galadriel’s? Seems Annatar might have met with Gilgalad and used this story to pitch the rings to them. Which is why Elrond going to help Celebrimbor, who has a deadline for a forge, was an outcome of the secretive meeting.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
This is just making me think I should go back to the Shadow of Noun games. I think the plot was less dumb. (I'm not sure of that, actually. Never got very far in Shadow of Mordor.)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Bugblatter posted:

I kinda figure those are lies from Annatar. I’m suspicious about that meeting that Elrond specifically wasn’t invited to in episode 1. Were all the elven rings made of mithril or just Galadriel’s? Seems Annatar might have met with Gilgalad and used this story to pitch the rings to them. Which is why Elrond going to help Celebrimbor, who has a deadline for a forge, was an outcome of the secretive meeting.

But (in the books) Gil-galad and Elrond rejected Annatar because though they didn’t realize he was Sauron, they didn’t get good vibes. So I don’t think Gil-galad is being secretly advised by an offscreen Annatar.

IIRC only Nenya was made from mithril.

I feel like the show has a lot of unnecessary mystery / plot gimmicks to try to keep viewers or something. Just tell a good story.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the show sucks rear end

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

alcaras posted:

ep5

it's like a type 5 on bristol scale that has been spray painted gold

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

alcaras posted:

ep5

My reading of that was not that they would fade away in a few months, but that they would be destined to diminish, and fade, and go into The West or become stupid little Victorian elves aka Galadriel's quote to Sam and Frodo after renouncing the one ring, and that mithril, containing the light of a Silmaril which in turn contained light from the Two Trees, would be like living in Valinor without leaving Middle-Earth. Now where they got the idea that two trees light exposure was like sleeping in a hypobaric chamber wrt elvish superiority, I dunno, but its not like a people desperate to not lose their youth and vitality turning to bullshit cures is unprecedented or anything. That said its equally possible Gil-Galad got snookered by some bad guy bullshit or just plain false hope and heard something that sounded good for a fear they've been worrying about since they got to Middle-Earth so who knows. Are there even any sons of Feanor left at this point in the story? I could see one of them pulling this poo poo out of his rear end in order to score some mithril which is some seriously superior metal. In the end we know the only cure for the elves fading is go back home to the Undying Lands either way and that its not going to work so its kind of moot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Oracle posted:

My reading of that was not that they would fade away in a few months, but that they would be destined to diminish, and fade, and go into The West or become stupid little Victorian elves aka Galadriel's quote to Sam and Frodo after renouncing the one ring, and that mithril, containing the light of a Silmaril which in turn contained light from the Two Trees, would be like living in Valinor without leaving Middle-Earth. Now where they got the idea that two trees light exposure was like sleeping in a hypobaric chamber wrt elvish superiority, I dunno, but its not like a people desperate to not lose their youth and vitality turning to bullshit cures is unprecedented or anything. That said its equally possible Gil-Galad got snookered by some bad guy bullshit or just plain false hope and heard something that sounded good for a fear they've been worrying about since they got to Middle-Earth so who knows. Are there even any sons of Feanor left at this point in the story? I could see one of them pulling this poo poo out of his rear end in order to score some mithril which is some seriously superior metal. In the end we know the only cure for the elves fading is go back home to the Undying Lands either way and that its not going to work so its kind of moot.

The show literally says "by spring".

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Oracle posted:

that whiny emo one could still be living by the sea shore

and celebrimbror is feanor's grandson

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Oracle posted:

Only one son of Feanor wasn't given a definitive end, Maglor. After the Silmaril burns him and he casts it into the sea, he disappears from Tolkein's writings.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The show literally says "by spring".

I read it as irreversible by spring, but I might have misheard/misremembered the line.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

All these fools combing through the appendices, the silmarilion, and the unfinished tales for show hints, as if the true deep secrets of Tolkien lore are not all concealed within Roverandom

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Stranger is actually the mean wizard that cursed that poor dog.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So are there any legitimate leaks for the rest of the season out there? There are fake leaks that were based off educated guesses and probably leaks into the very early screenings this past spring of the first 4 episodes to some people peppered with bad faith GamerGate poo poo. But nothing in terms of how the final 3 season of Game or Thrones had the entire plot leaked.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I've decided that I’m going to just ignore the blatant timeline inconsistencies and idiocy like that mithril deficiency thing and instead enjoy the (few enough) things I like about the show.

I definitely like the portrayal of the Harfoots. I can totally believe that the things they’re forced to do for survival (hiding, sticking close together, considering curiosity to be dangerous etc.) would evolve into the conservatism of the future hobbits.

I also think it’s a good thing that they are just completely ignoring the race(ism) issue and just mix everything up. Yup, give me dark skinned Elves; and to hell with the "fans" for which this is a major sticking point.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

I've decided that I’m going to just ignore the blatant timeline inconsistencies and idiocy like that mithril deficiency thing and instead enjoy the (few enough) things I like about the show.

I definitely like the portrayal of the Harfoots. I can totally believe that the things they’re forced to do for survival (hiding, sticking close together, considering curiosity to be dangerous etc.) would evolve into the conservatism of the future hobbits.

I also think it’s a good thing that they are just completely ignoring the race(ism) issue and just mix everything up. Yup, give me dark skinned Elves; and to hell with the "fans" for which this is a major sticking point.

I'm glad their casting is more diverse, as any diversity is a step up from the previous films. I wish they'd gone a bit further though. We don't see many dwarven faces outside of Durin's family, so it sticks out a bit less with the dwarves... but we've seen a lot of elves and Arondir seems to be the only black elf in the world? The non-white representation is so sparse that it feels more like a trait similar to albinism than actual ethnic diversity.

I mean I prefer token representation to no representation, but I hope they do better in future seasons. I know it's a bit hard to cast for diversity in New Zealand, so maybe the move to England will help. Hopefully, they can mix in some Asian representation while they're at it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I'm glad their casting is more diverse, as any diversity is a step up from the previous films. I wish they'd gone a bit further though. We don't see many dwarven faces outside of Durin's family, so it sticks out a bit less with the dwarves... but we've seen a lot of elves and Arondir seems to be the only black elf in the world? The non-white representation is so sparse that it feels more like a trait similar to albinism than actual ethnic diversity.

I mean I prefer token representation to no representation, but I hope they do better in future seasons. I know it's a bit hard to cast for diversity in New Zealand, so maybe the move to England will help. Hopefully, they can mix in some Asian representation while they're at it.

There were several Asians in crowd scenes in Numenor.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oracle posted:

There were several Asians in crowd scenes in Numenor.

I mean extras are better than nothing but...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How did Galadriel get her armour back

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Very carefully

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Zopotantor posted:

Don't forget their Social Darwinist "Survival of the Fittest" ideology.

"What, you can't pull your wagon anymore? To the end of the line you go"...

Hobbits, those lovable little rascals...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
thatcherite hobbits

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Huh. I don't think I even knew there were extended editions of the Hobbit films.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The fan edit that gets them down to one four hour movie is pretty good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I can imagine there's at least a decently watchable single movie in there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

making the hobbit a trilogy was the right call but one entire movie should've been about the dwarves walking through mirkwood silently with very little action

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CommonShore posted:

How did Galadriel get her armour back

It's different and much better. I assume they gave her some of the good stuff they still have in storage, or did a rush job since they said they had 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kaysette posted:

The fan edit that gets them down to one four hour movie is pretty good.

I dunno about "good" but it's at least "more watchable"