Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

That DICK! posted:

its not perfect but picard is actually really great, the hate on it is basically just a meme at this point. give if a couple episodes, and if you find you're not digging it, watch a couple more. things really pick up in season 2, but you need to know how things went down in season 1. and make sure you watch all of season 2

you're a sick person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not something that comes up often but wow Generations had to come up with Picard and Guinan's deep connection beyond space and time and they came up with they talked for five minutes at Picard's imaginary christmas party.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So did they rescue every Worf in Parallels or did they kill ∞-1 Worfs?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The reason why people rag on Picard/Disco so much is that they're bafflingly incompetent pieces of expensive entertainment that subsist entirely on their association with a known brand

Like if PicardShow starred some random old guy and didn't have all the references to Star Trek I can't imagine people having patience for it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man Patrick Stewart is such a great actor. In The Pegasus he's standing in the background while Terry O'Quinn and Jonathon Frakes talk but Stewart is stealing the scene just reacting to them with his eyes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

So did they rescue every Worf in Parallels or did they kill ∞-1 Worfs?

did tng beat voyager to permanently killing a main cast member, the longest video in the history of star trek youtubes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

did tng beat voyager to permanently killing a main cast member, the longest video in the history of star trek youtubes

Yes, by killing Tasha Yar : P

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

The reason why people rag on Picard/Disco so much is that they're bafflingly incompetent pieces of expensive entertainment that subsist entirely on their association with a known brand

Like if PicardShow starred some random old guy and didn't have all the references to Star Trek I can't imagine people having patience for it

I watched all of Picard season 2 literally only because it was Star Trek and I was giving modern Trek one more chance to be good and relevant after the intense burning disappointment of Disco season 1. It was so badly structured, written and executed that I regret wasting my time on not only that show but the entire concept of live action Trek at this point, burn it all down for another 20 years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Strange New Worlds will wash the taste out of your mouth to the point that for brief moments, you'll wonder if you misjudged the other two shows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McSpanky posted:

the entire concept of live action Trek at this point, burn it all down for another 20 years.

Strange New Worlds is good. Not great, but good and with lots of potential. It's baffling that it exists at the same time as Disco and Picard are being shat out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RIP Sito

the only part of Lower Decks that does NOT make sense is how upset Worf is

Sito has earned herself a place among the honored dead!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 25, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

A deleted scene from "Family" showed that Wesley was named after Jack's grandfather, Richard Wesley Crusher. The same scene established that Wesley had several ancestors whom Jack considered "heroes". One ancestor fought in the American Civil War – on the Confederate side – in the opening battle of the conflict at Bull Run.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That DICK! posted:

A deleted scene from "Family" showed that Wesley was named after Jack's grandfather, Richard Wesley Crusher. The same scene established that Wesley had several ancestors whom Jack considered "heroes". One ancestor fought in the American Civil War – on the Confederate side – in the opening battle of the conflict at Bull Run.

Oof, that's a big yikeserooni! Very problematic. Hopefully Traveller Wesley went back in time and killed him. This would also erase Wesley from the timeline, making things objectively better all around.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The two parter Future's End is pretty good for a Voyager 2 parter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

The two parter Future's End is pretty good for a Voyager 2 parter.

Good news: the two-parters generally get infinitely better from here. Namely Scorpion, Year of Hell, Dark Frontier, and Equinox.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

I watched all of Picard season 2 literally only because it was Star Trek and I was giving modern Trek one more chance to be good and relevant after the intense burning disappointment of Disco season 1. It was so badly structured, written and executed that I regret wasting my time on not only that show but the entire concept of live action Trek at this point, burn it all down for another 20 years.

Literally anybody whose opinion is worth listening to is saying SNW is enjoyable and PicardShow's first season did so much lasting psychic damage to me that I still haven't watched SNW. I'm hoping I can get better enough to watch the first season soon, but I'm honestly worried that the magic is gone and I'm just going to be stuck like the guy they found in the closet on the ship from Night Terrors

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Literally anybody whose opinion is worth listening to is saying SNW is enjoyable and PicardShow's first season did so much lasting psychic damage to me that I still haven't watched SNW. I'm hoping I can get better enough to watch the first season soon, but I'm honestly worried that the magic is gone and I'm just going to be stuck like the guy they found in the closet on the ship from Night Terrors

If you're so broken inside that the prospect of watching an episode of Strange New Worlds fills you with trepidation, then perhaps Star Trek is not a good fit for you and you should consider seeing other shows. SNW is the most Star Trek show that has ever Star Treked outside of the original series, and it even kind of whips the stretchy nylon pants off of TOS in more than one place to boot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'll be the counter voice because I think SNW is at best okay. It can be a pretty good okay at times, but it has a lot of the same foibles that all the other live action Trek have had. Particularly for what it does to the Gorn. Straight up adding the xenomorph into Trek is horrible, let alone making that the new Gorn. The final two episodes really soured me on it, though the writing never felt like something I loved overall. It's cast is very charismatic and does a ton of work to sell it, and mostly succeeds, but it's just as dumb and awful as Picard from the writers room.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Strange New Worlds has much, much better scripting than Discovery or Picard and it’s the only one that seems to have a point at all, or succeeds at making the future seem like somewhere you might want to live. That’s not to say it’s super well written. It can coast on its production which is also much better than either of the above shows, and its cast who are better looking and more likable. It feels less devoted to delivering frivolous whiz bang crap for idiots. But I don’t feel the show has yet had a breakout episode where it nails everything. Its attempts at tie-ins to broader in-universe historical stuff haven’t all been great so far either.

That said, after one season it was absolutely clear that both Discovery and Picard were completely hosed and that’s not the case here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eimi posted:

I'll be the counter voice because I think SNW is at best okay. It can be a pretty good okay at times, but it has a lot of the same foibles that all the other live action Trek have had. Particularly for what it does to the Gorn. Straight up adding the xenomorph into Trek is horrible, let alone making that the new Gorn. The final two episodes really soured me on it, though the writing never felt like something I loved overall. It's cast is very charismatic and does a ton of work to sell it, and mostly succeeds, but it's just as dumb and awful as Picard from the writers room.

Having actually watched the first episode and found it okay but not particularly enticing, this is pretty much exactly what I expected from a spinoff of Disco. It's fruit of the poisonous tree, I just don't think anything made from this group of creatives is going to make me happy no matter how well executed by the actors.

And I'm cashing in my nerd bingo free space to say I will never accept their redesigned TOS Connie :colbert:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

McSpanky posted:

Having actually watched the first episode and found it okay but not particularly enticing, this is pretty much exactly what I expected from a spinoff of Disco. It's fruit of the poisonous tree, I just don't think anything made from this group of creatives is going to make me happy no matter how well executed by the actors.

And I'm cashing in my nerd bingo free space to say I will never accept their redesigned TOS Connie :colbert:

The first episode of SNW is, inexplicably, basically a Discovery episode. IMO, the second episode works much better, and is built like a first episode anyway. Frankly, I'd recommend anyone with the least doubt to simply skip the first episode.

Still irrationally angry about the phone thing.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 25, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Congrats on watching the weakest of the 10 episodes and then bouncing on it I guess :toot:

e: beaten

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

The worst part is that they had a much better variant on the design that looked at least better than what's in the show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's pretty much identical except for the nacelle pylons, though. Looks lighter than the show but that's just because it's a light scan. (Oh and it doesn't have the saucer rim windows but those didn't get introduced until SNW, they weren't on Disco)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That's pretty much identical except for the nacelle pylons, though. Looks lighter than the show but that's just because it's a light scan. (Oh and it doesn't have the saucer rim windows but those didn't get introduced until SNW, they weren't on Disco)

The lighter material and pylons are pretty important. The dark highly azteced look on the show is awful. Improving the material to be lighter and smoother ala TOS would go a long way to improving the model.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Congrats on watching the weakest of the 10 episodes and then bouncing on it I guess :toot:

e: beaten

I gave it a fair shot and it was a resounding "eh", with issues that largely transcend individual episode variation. I already didn't like the idea of a direct prequel to TOS and these people aren't interested in creating the kind of prequel I would like, one that's far more deferential to the source material and frankly 100% divorced from Discovery in absolutely every way conceivable. I don't owe a TV show anything, and it clearly isn't interested in owing me, so we're going our separate ways. As we say on Earth, c'est la vie.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I gave it a fair shot and it was a resounding "eh", with issues that largely transcend individual episode variation. I already didn't like the idea of a direct prequel to TOS and these people aren't interested in creating the kind of prequel I would like, one that's far more deferential to the source material and frankly 100% divorced from Discovery in absolutely every way conceivable. I don't owe a TV show anything, and it clearly isn't interested in owing me, so we're going our separate ways. As we say on Earth, c'est la vie.

And yeah, I feel this separate but related to it's issues, I hate the need to redesign everything. From the interiors, to the costumes, to the starship, they all just made everything worse. It was always something I loved in every pre Kurtzman iteration of Trek, the original Enterprise looked how she did in the 60's, the uniforms were the same, and so on. In a Mirror Darkly did a great job of redressing the original bridge to make it look better while still being the old bridge. Just getting the look and feel wrong is something it'd be great to be able to set aside, but it's always in the back of my mind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hate that officially this is how it always was and the new Enterprise appeared as a hologram in Picard just to slam home that This Is How It Was And Isn't A Reboot The Enterprise Was Always Different And Twice As Big And Had A Giant Tron Bridge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Honestly, I find that outlook far more respectable than the other like probably 85% of this subforum, and the internet in general who would figuratively screw their hand to a wall with a power drill in order to keep hatewatching a show they otherwise despise to the point where it is causing them genuine mental anguish, but they can't quit it because they're in too deep.

If it sucks, hit da bricks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're so broken inside that the prospect of watching an episode of Strange New Worlds fills you with trepidation, then perhaps Star Trek is not a good fit for you and you should consider seeing other shows. SNW is the most Star Trek show that has ever Star Treked outside of the original series, and it even kind of whips the stretchy nylon pants off of TOS in more than one place to boot.

I certainly hope CBS/Paramount is paying you to be a condescending rear end in a top hat to people posting about Star Trek in a Star Trek thread because I'd hate to think you were doing it for free

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I certainly hope CBS/Paramount is paying you to be a condescending rear end in a top hat to people posting about Star Trek in a Star Trek thread because I'd hate to think you were doing it for free

Kurtzman's putting my kids through college :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I basically rolled my eyes at every instance of SNW trying to score nostalgia points and enjoyed it when it was allowed to be its own show. I'm also not a fan of of the modern humor that has spawned from the MCU and wormed its way into SW and ST. Also the xenomorph gorn were super disappointing. I think I'm just not interested in Star Trek as a universe where I'm supposed to care about the history of factions and having interconnected references and retcon heavy prequels across writing teams and decades. It's just crawled up its own rear end like every other media franchise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're so broken inside

Everyone in this thread is broken inside dog

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Everyone in this thread is broken inside dog

Indeed. Thanks a bunch, "the last twenty five years of human history", you've really helped all of us.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really don’t know how more people didn’t smell the initial poo poo wafting off the fact that the guy who was fresh off of the megaflop of the ~DARK UNIVERSE~ was given the reigns to all of NuTrek by CBS in 2017.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eimi posted:

The worst part is that they had a much better variant on the design that looked at least better than what's in the show.

I like the stripes leading away behind the bridge bubble, very Excelsior. Also, I would like the design teams for the new series to stop loving jacking off to the Excelsior.

Unrelated but I just watched Devil's Due and I'll let Ardra take over my planet any time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cenotaph posted:

I basically rolled my eyes at every instance of SNW trying to score nostalgia points and enjoyed it when it was allowed to be its own show.

I thought the last episode's detailed callbacks to Balance of Terror worked fantastically well.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I thought the last episode's detailed callbacks to Balance of Terror worked fantastically well.

I think it was deftly executed but I'm not in love with the whole future visions Pike thing. I'm just really sick of time travel stuff.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
it's a sentiment that's been shared here and in the modern Trek thread, but I think the reason people latched on so hard to SNW even if it's got some obvious flaws is because it's the first current live-action Trek where you can actually talk about it and pick it apart and talk about character motivations or plot developments in any comprehensive way, instead of having nothing to latch onto besides "this sucks" because Discovery aggressively avoids developing its characters or exploring any of the implications of its setting and Picard has a season plot that was apparently written on a dare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The issue with Picard in particular is that it wants to be a continuation show for TNG, but also for some reason wants to be straight scifi-action stuff, when the audience is begging them to do more cerebral stuff, or dramedy if the writers are having problems with the high-concept stuff.

Its written like the TNG movies, which all were much less than the series itself, showing that the producers either don't "get" why TNG and Picard as a character worked, or watched or remember only the movies. Obvious evidence of this is that they keep dragging Data/Soong along even if there is no actual reason for him to be in the S2 storyline.

PIC S2 has a couple of interesting concepts which would have made it OK or good even, if they were handled with more thought. But what we got is basically a TNG version of Voyage Home, with added "Picard and his elite team are now action heroes" -bullshit thrown in. Same thing happened with S1, and now we just wait and see if we get burned third time.

The good thing is that at least their "damage" to the overall canon is surprisingly minimal. S1 adds "at one point artificial lifeforms were considered illegal similarly as genetical engineering has always been, but that got overturned", and S2 is a time-travel story where the only "new thing" is that "there are now also friendly Borgs, and Picard befriended their queen".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 25, 2022