Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

A lot of big channels don't allow fan subtitling because of the abuse potential or because Youtube doesn't say when subs are fanmade or provided by the channel itself, so if the subs are bad (because the person doing the translation was just using Google translate) the channel gets blamed. Also LTT's fanbase would 100% think uploading hundreds of Klingon or Swedish Chef subtitles is hilarious. I think Youtube might've dropped the feature completely actually.

Yeah YouTube killed the community subtitles feature a few years ago

IIRC it was the classic Google "neglect feature then use lack of use to justify killing it" routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

A lot of big channels don't allow fan subtitling because of the abuse potential or because Youtube doesn't say when subs are fanmade or provided by the channel itself, so if the subs are bad (because the person doing the translation was just using Google translate) the channel gets blamed. Also LTT's fanbase would 100% think uploading hundreds of Klingon or Swedish Chef subtitles is hilarious. I think Youtube might've dropped the feature completely actually.

they did and it sucked because there were some channels i watched that had an active community translating into english that made up a decent amount of their viewership, and after that the views dropped markedly because fan made subs became too much hassle for them to deal with in whatever their "replacement" for this feature ended up being

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hiring a Spanish speaker to translate and then re-host tech quickie or whatever would be a relatively straightforward way to begin.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

well why not posted:

Hiring a Spanish speaker to translate and then re-host tech quickie or whatever would be a relatively straightforward way to begin.

LTT is all about doing things the wrong way, so no.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

true. this will be a fun subplot. Weird twitter apology in a week from now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Linus reading a google translated apology in godawful spanish would be perfect.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
before releasing another apology a week later apologising for the apology

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
He'll just do a passive aggressive rant on WAN show about it and announce a t-shirt.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
créeme compañero

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

avoid doorways posted:

before releasing another apology a week later apologising for the apology
he is from canadia after all

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jeff Fatwood posted:

He'll just do a passive aggressive rant on WAN show about it and announce a t-shirt.

Ay caramba

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Surely it would be extremely cheap to hire some people in Latin America to translate...? Wages there are like pennies on the dollar for Canadians

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jeff Fatwood posted:

"Si nosotros hablamos espanol"

With the missing accent mark and all

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/xnqq7u/fyi_the_carabiner_zippers_are_not_super_strong/

Oops backpack sucks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

How do you make a karabiner in 2022 that doesn't have a little wedge to stop it bending sideways? That was a solved problem 40 years ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

How do you make a karabiner in 2022 that doesn't have a little wedge to stop it bending sideways? That was a solved problem 40 years ago.

So was nutritious food so youth would grow up tall and strong, and yet Linus didn’t follow those instructions either.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Makes sense that he didn't want to provide a warranty.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

ooooh, here's a theory: that uh, i'm again not picking on anyone who bought it this is entirely my subjective opinion: maybe the obnoxiously overengineered backpack components are failing at a rate way higher than they expected, given there are routinely like multiple mechanical zippers or clasps or whatever all the gently caress over the product. the kingdom hearts pants design school.

maybe their failure or endurance rates on their overall product were worse than they expected because one of the finicky and non-essential bits keeps consistently breaking off or something.

CoolCab posted:

it must be the failure rate thing, i'm telling you. they are not confident in the product because it is overengineered. it doesn't matter how fancy your component is if you're using 5x as many as you need you're going to have 5x as many failures.

CoolCab posted:

sometimes i worry it feels like i'm pulling my criticisms out of my butt, which i'm not. when i learned about the price i went and watched the product promo video and like - okay they didn't just get YKK zippers they got custom dual purpose YKK zippers/carabiners

it to me comes across extremely specifically as the exact kind of first-try product that would have serious long term design issues with reliability. like, if this was a backpack company and this was their first go i'd guess that in two or three generations the product would probably get much much simpler as they got feedback, paid for warranty returns and realized more of the negative externalities of trying to engineer around every conceivable problem. there's niche and then there's homer's car and you have to be able to navigate that line very carefully. i don't know if this is where they think they're going and i sure doubt it frankly.

whooooooooo'da thunk it lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Just trust me, bro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

whooooooooo'da thunk it lol

I've seen mini-carabiners just like that on other products (not specifically a zipper, but on handbag straps) so it's not some type of all-new prototype idea. They're just small and not particularly strong.

still, lol. making it a tiny hinge pin means it's fragile as all heck. the cheap things that are just a single piece of spring steel indestructible by comparison.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Linus will prove how strong they are by ziplining using only those carabiners

breaks every bone in his body

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
...to shreds, you say.

And how is the backpack holding up?

To shreds, you say...

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
clearly the lateral move is to embrace right to repair and provide a guide for fixing it using the new screwdriver

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

I've seen mini-carabiners just like that on other products (not specifically a zipper, but on handbag straps) so it's not some type of all-new prototype idea. They're just small and not particularly strong.

That's the whole point. LTT didn't actually design anything new, doesn't matter what their marketing states.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 26, 2022

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

kliras posted:

clearly the lateral move is to embrace right to repair and provide a guide for fixing it using the new screwdriver

We regret to inform you that the new screwdriver broke during the procedure.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's a reason that those micro-carabiners usually just use what is effectively a little loop of wire for the swinging bit, and that's because they're inherently weak and having something that can bend a bit before it breaks is probably about the only way they can work.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For a palate cleanser from Linus shinanigans, here's LGR getting a hold of one of those infamous "never obsolete" emachines rigs from the early 2000s. If you worked at an open tech support desk between 2000 and 2010, you've seen one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQo0yOqOb_4

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Naomi Wu is tweeting about Linus again, i honestly feel bad for her. For a lot of things, but this in particular.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oh, how convenient she was just fading out of the news. I wonder why she’s bringing it up again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can we not.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Oh, how convenient she was just fading out of the news. I wonder why she’s bringing it up again?
Because Linus fanboys haven't stopped yelling at her.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Oh for sure

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
What the gently caress is she even talking about in the replies? Linus was stupid because she could have been a Chinese spy? He has an Asian fetish? What?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

Can we not.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

She's mentally ill. It's not a secret, she's talked about it before. I doubt she grasps the magnitude of it, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1575519627945410560?t=Jt869k5b0Li8CD0iASMwig&s=19

GeForce Now stays winning

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lol took them two months from:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1552989433590214656

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

did google ever even deploy a second hardware generation, or were they still trucking along with ye olde vega56 nodes?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

repiv posted:

did google ever even deploy a second hardware generation, or were they still trucking along with ye olde vega56 nodes?

I doubt it and probably why they are winding it down now with all that being 5 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

K8.0 posted:

She's mentally ill. It's not a secret, she's talked about it before. I doubt she grasps the magnitude of it, though.

njsykora posted:

Can we not.